Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to Hell is Freezing Over Day!

If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, it's the dead of winter, so it seems more likely that hell would freeze over now than at any other time. This is not necessarily a fun holiday, as on it you are supposed to do all the things you said you wouldn't do until hell freezes over.

"Not until hell freezes over" is an idiom of improbability from the early twentieth century, which stemmed from the belief that hell is a very hot place, and thus will never freeze over. There are many variations on the phrase, such as "It will be a cold day in hell when…" and "There's not a snowball's chance in hell…" Well, the unlikely occurred, hell has frozen over. Get bundled up and ready to celebrate.

SU News

First impressions of the new JMA Wireless Dome seats (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

The home of Syracuse Orange football, basketball, and lacrosse is set to undergo a complete seating replacement over the summer, and during Saturday’s MBB game against NC State, myself and others in attendance got to look at some physical seat samples in the backcourt area.

Here are the 20”-wide seats with armrests, which will be in the 100 and 200 sections...

20240127_184146.jpg

100- and 200-Level Seats

(youtube; podcast; Late Kick with Josh Pate)

Josh Pate breaks down why Syracuse is one of his dark horse teams in the ACC following the full schedule release for the 2024 college football season.
https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/syracuse-lands-pwo-qb-aj-miller (PS; McAllister)
Class of 2024 Rye (NY) High quarterback AJ Miller has committed to Syracuse as a preferred walk-on. He officially visited the Orange last week. Miller threw for 2,948 yards with 28 touchdowns on 71% completion during his senior season.

"They rolled out the red carpet for me and my father," Miller said after the visit. "They had eight guys following us around, taking care of us. It was tremendous the love and support we were shown. It really showed a lot. Spearheaded by Caleb Holfoth and Khalil Ahmad. It was unreal. We went to the FSU game in the Dome. The Dome atmosphere was amazing. Unfortunately came up short but it was fun. Having so many members of the staff with me. Coach Harris from the quarterback staff was with me the whole time.

"Then we woke up, I went to campus and saw the Newhouse school. Obviously such a tremendous academic school. Got to see the facilities and what that offers me in terms of life after football. (Wednesday) was all football, all business. We started with breakfast up at Rise N Shine. That was pretty awesome, I enjoyed that a lot. Then it was just me and my dad and like eight guys, giving us everything we need. Then it was time to start talking ball. The one thing I will say is they said I'm the only PWO offered quarterback for them in the country."

During the visit, he spoke with the coaches about the quarterback room, his potential role, and the opportunity to earn a scholarship.

Rye QB A.J. Miller commits to Syracuse - Interview (youtube; podcast; Devaney Jr)
KDJ talks with Rye QB A.J. Miller, hours after he commits to accept a spot as a "Preferred Walk On" at Syracuse University. Miller, who led Rye to a Class B state championship in early December at the Dome in Syracuse, explains the recruitment process and how he ended up with the Orange.

Syracuse Football: New 4-star edge commit close with 'Cuse coaches, loves the fan base (itlh; Adler)

Four-star edge Sharlandiin Strange from Pennsylvania verbally committed to Syracuse football this past Saturday night, giving the Orange its first verbal pledge in the 2025 recruiting cycle.

In several interviews following his commitment announcement, the 6-foot-4, 245-pound Strange heaped praise on the Syracuse football fanbase while also noting how close he is with the new ‘Cuse coaching staff.

Strange, a top-300 national prospect in the junior class, is a standout at Cheltenham High School in Wyncote, Pa.

50000000% COMMITTED GO ORANGE @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/Z0OirVgBlJ
— Sharlandiin “zaqq” Strange (@zaqq4x) January 28, 2024
Offered a scholarship by the Orange in January of 2023, he chose the ‘Cuse over other finalists Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Southern California, in a tremendous recruiting win for head coach Fran Brown and his staff.

New commit Sharlandiin Strange dishes on Syracuse football fans and the team’s staff.
Two Saturdays ago, Strange was on the SU campus for one of the Orange’s junior days. During his unofficial visit to the Hill, he and numerous other 2025 targets got to watch Syracuse basketball defeat Miami at the buzzer on a 3-pointer from sophomore wing Quadir Copeland.

WOWWWW @Cuse_MBB pic.twitter.com/ofCg3BVomy
— Sharlandiin “zaqq” Strange (@zaqq4x) January 20, 2024
In a recent interview with SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister, Strange said of ‘Cuse fans, “They take that Syracuse football serious. A coach told me it’s only basketball and football there. They go crazy. I was in the gas station with my mom. They stopped me, they wanted a picture. That’s something I've never even been through before. I never thought I even mattered that much. But the fans go crazy.”

In his interview with McAllister, along with comments made in an article from Bobby Deren of 247Sports, Strange was super high on the Orange coaching staff.

Strange told McAllister that he “grew up with” Elijah Robinson, the new assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at the ‘Cuse, who most recently served as the interim head coach and co-defensive coordinator at Texas A&M.

“He’s always been like an uncle or a big brother to me,” Strange said of Robinson. “It was just a matter of time. I was going to go where he goes regardless. Coach Fran, I went to a Monmouth camp and I dominated. That was when he was still at Georgia and I met him. Our relationship was always close.”

Brown, formerly the defensive backs coach at Georgia, and Robinson are long-time friends who grew up together in Camden, N.J., which is in close proximity to where Strange hails from, in the Philadelphia area.

Other coaches on the current SU staff come from New Jersey, and it’s clear in a short period of time since taking over that Brown and his assistants are going to recruit Philadelphia, the state of New Jersey and the Northeast corridor hard.

In Deren’s story, Strange said in part, “Syracuse recruits a lot of people from around my area like the New Jersey, Philly area and I know a lot of people that are on the roster right now. I grew up with them.”

Ranked as high as No. 226 nationwide in his class by On3, Strange is a stellar first commitment for the Orange in the 2025 class.

Rye QB Heading to Syracuse (myrye.com)

Rye Varsity Football Quarterback AJ Miller is headed to play for Syracuse University as a preferred walk-on. Miller announced the decision on X (fka Twitter) on Tuesday.

“I am so thankful and blessed to announce my commitment to further my academic and athletic career at Syracuse University,” said Miller “I would like to thank God, my parents, my teammates, my coaches and my family for their constant support and love during this process. I would like to thank Coach Fran for this unreal opportunity. It’s been a long time coming. Orange nation, let’s get to work.”

A preferred walk-on offer means the coach would like you on the team but can’t offer any financial assistance at least for the first year. With Miller as quarterback, the Rye Boys Varsity Football team won the NYSPHSAA Class B championship versus Maine-Endwell 28 – 7 on December 3rd at the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse. It was the fourth State title in Garnet football history and the first since 2008.

Miller was also awarded the 2022 Rye Youth Human Rights Award last January for his role as Co-Founder of the Bridges Club at Rye High School.

Andrea Adelson "The 315" 1-30-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

ESPN ACC Football Reporter Andrea Adelson joins to discuss the latest news that Florida State is suing the Swofford's now too. Also, Andrea provides her thoughts on the first two months of the Fran Brown era.

The Juice Online - Syracuse Roundup: 7 recruits react to Jan. 27 visit (R1vals.com; Kang)

Syracuse hosted another large group of recruits over the weekend as part of its second Junior Day. Here are what 7 different recruits thought of the visit.

NATL
ST
POS
DAWAYNE
GALLOWAY

6'1" | 175 LBS | CB | 2025
MARION FRANKLIN
COLUMBUS, OH

"It was great. Great place. Great people. Coach Fran is my guy for sure."
READ THE JUICE ONLINE'S FULL INTERVIEW WITH DAWAYNE GALLOWAY

-
NATL
-
ST
-
POS
GRADY
KINSEY

5'9" | 195 LBS | RB | 2026
INDIAN VALLEY
GNADENHUTTEN, OH
N/A

"It seems like the program has some good buzz around it right now."
READ THE JUICE ONLINE'S FULL INTERVIEW WITH GRADY KINSLEY

-
NATL
-
ST
-
POS
AMARI
SABB

5'8" | 149 LBS | ATH | 2026
GLASSBORO
GLASSBORO, NJ
N/A

"The atmosphere is different, the energy in the building good. Cuse going to be really good."
READ THE JUICE ONLINE'S FULL INTERVIEW WITH AMARI SABB

-
NATL
-
ST
-
POS
KENTRELL
RINEHART

6'1" | 205 LBS | RB | 2025
WESTLAND
COLUMBUS, OH

"I had a real good time. It opened my eyes for sure."
READ THE JUICE ONLINE'S FULL INTERVIEW WITH KENTRELL RINEHART
-
NATL
-
ST
-
POS
TASHEEM
BUTLER

6'1" | 225 LBS | LB | 2027
GLASSBORO
GLASSBORO, NJ
N/A

"I like what they are building. I met a couple coaches and they’re interested in building a relationship with me."
READ THE JUICE ONLINE'S FULL INTERVIEW WITH TASHEEM BUTLER
-
NATL
ST
-
POS
JAYDEN
LOFTIN

6'4" | 235 LBS | WDE | 2025
SOMERVILLE
SOMERVILLE, NJ

The coaches bring a new energy to the building. Always nice to be back in the Dome."
READ THE JUICE ONLINE'S FULL INTERVIEW WITH JAYDEN LOFTIN

-
NATL
-
ST
-
POS
SOLOMON
MARTIN

6'1" | 185 LBS | WR | 2024
PROVIDENCE ACADEMY
PLYMOUTH, MN
N/A

"Syracuse is definitely my top 3. It’s an amazing environment especially with all the new renovations that are coming later this year and in 2025."
READ THE JUICE ONLINE'S FULL INTERVIEW WITH SOLOMON MARTIN

ACC News

Pitt mailbag: What to make of Pat Narduzzi's comments from last week on ACC Network (P-G; Hiles & Carter)
Greg: If Pat Narduzzi found himself in a similar situation to what Dan Campbell went through Sunday against the 49ers, what do you think he would do? Take the points or go for it?

Hiles: Are we sure he wouldn’t punt? OK, that’s a joke, but in all seriousness, I think Pat takes the points. There are times throughout his career where Narduzzi has been aggressive, perhaps too aggressive in certain situations, but I think he is a coach who goes more off feel than analytics. He’s used both to help Pitt win throughout his career, but in that spot, with a lead on the road, my bet would be on Pat sending his kicker onto the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Carter: There is no doubt that Narduzzi would have kicked the field goal. Looking back throughout his career, this is a guy who really trusts his kickers. The best example would of course be the win against No. 2 Clemson when he stuck with Chris Blewitt, who went on to make the game-winning kick.

Landon: Pat Narduzzi told the ACC Network last week that Nate Yarnell is the team’s starter. He also mentioned that Pitt will still look to run the ball often. Is it just me or is he already micromanaging his new offensive coordinator?

Hiles
: I’m not sure if I see it that way, Landon. Narduzzi said after the season-ending loss to Duke that Yarnell would be the team’s starter heading into the offseason. I understand there have been some changes since then, most notably a new offensive coordinator and the arrival of Eli Holstein, but overall, Narduzzi is just staying consistent. The quarterback battle hasn’t really started yet. Once spring ball is underway, I will be curious to see who he deems the starting quarterback, but until then, this wasn’t a shock for me. As far as the run-game comments are concerned, this also wasn’t much of a surprise. While Narduzzi hired Kade Bell to come in and be different, every offensive coordinator has to work within the parameters of the head coach’s vision. Narduzzi believes his team needs to protect the football and kill some clock. He doesn’t want a unit that will put the defense on the field for the majority of the game. I’m confident Bell was informed about these demands prior to him accepting the job. Bell is running the offense, but Narduzzi is still the main boss at the end of the day.

Carter: I don’t trust a thing Narduzzi says on the record about his quarterback situation in the month of January. Anyone who knows Pat understands that he is all about smoke screens. He doesn’t want anyone knowing what is actually happening within his own program. He has been doing this for years. He loves that there is a mystery behind the quarterback position. I don’t think Pat will be micromanaging Bell. I also think there isn’t much to talk about on this topic until we enter spring camp.

Landon: My second question also pertains to something Pat said in another interview on the ACC Network — He was asked what he learned from last season and really didn’t give an answer. I believe he said there were things he “couldn’t mention.” He also talked a little bit about practice. Just want to know if either of you two have an idea as to what he might be hinting at?

Hiles
: Going off what I’ve heard from a few sources, along with my observations from last fall, I don’t think there was nearly enough team instruction for the offense under Frank Cignetti. This isn’t me saying every second of practice was spent working on individual position drills, but if you watched Pitt at all in 2023, it was pretty clear that the offense was hardly ever on the same page. That’s why we saw so many false starts, so many turnovers and just overall confusion. I just don’t think they ever looked completely comfortable with each other. From what I’ve heard, the practice format will be different under Bell. I can’t explain what that will exactly look like, but I think a big focus of his will be getting the unit to play as a collective whole.

Carter: I think it’s safe to say that Narduzzi learned a lot during the course of last season. I also think it's understandable that he might not want to share everything that he learned on national television. My guess is there will be some changes in numerous areas.

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...r-the-final-247-sports-player-rankings-update (SI; Caudell)
The 2024 recruiting class has been wrapped up for some time now, but 247Sports released its final player rankings update and there was some movement around the ACC. The player rankings were updated after the players competed in High School All-Star games.

So after the latest player rankings, did any of the teams move up or down in the ACC recruiting rankings?

At the very top, there was no change in who brought in the No. 1 class. Mario Cristobal and Miami signed the No. 1 class in the ACC and the No. 3 class in the country. The Hurricanes signed six players ranked in the top 100 and on paper, might have the best roster in the ACC. The question now will be if Cristobal can coach the team to success.

Florida State held the No. 2 class after the early signing period, but they have been bumped down to three in favor of Clemson. The Tigers and Seminoles are both a ways behind Miami but have a clear separation from the rest of the conference.

North Carolina and NC State make up the top five in the conference, but they are much closer to the rest of the ACC than they are to Miami, Clemson, and Florida State. Stanford, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Virginia Tech round out the top ten. The only spot that is different from the early signing period is Syracuse jumping Pitt for the No. 8 class.

Georgia Tech had a strong finish with its 2024 signing class. Brent Key and his staff did well to close the class out by adding four-star running back Anthony Carrie and flipping defensive end Amontrae Bradford from Colorado. Key did a nice job of finishing the class off for Georgia Tech as he continues to build out his roster and program.
New Head coach Fran Brown and Syracuse were outside of the top ten when he was hired, but he did well to close strong and jump a couple of ACC schools.

Wake Forest, Cal, Louisville, Duke, Virginia, Boston College, and SMU round out the rest of the rankings. Cal moved from 14 to 12 and Boston College went from 17 to 16.

A Monday Conversation: Pitt Coaches On The Road, ACC Schedule, 2024 Projections, and more! (youtube; podcast; Talking College Football)

A Monday Conversation: Pitt Coaches On The Road, ACC Schedule, 2024 Projections, and more!
Tier Ranking The ACC Football Teams 2024 (youtube; video; The Neutral Zone)

Tier Ranking The ACC Football Teams 2024

Links, News, and Rumors 2024 Jan 30 (RX; HM)

Links, News, and Rumors 2024 Jan 30

Here's a nice video interview with Matt Brown of "Extra Points" in which he considers some topics of interest to many of you readers...

Matt Brown: Radical Changes Will Be Coming
to College Football as NIL Is Taking Over

Matt Brown: Radical Changes Will Be Coming to College Football as NIL Is Taking Over | CFB

Matt Brown, Extra Points joins 365 Sports to discuss his thoughts on the new NCAA video game and what comes with that, his thoughts on the next dominoes that will fall in college football, his thoughts on private equity in college athletics, and more.

I agree with Matt on this: introducing equity capital (as FSU is contemplating) is a bad thing.

What happened to Syracuse' old football coach, you ask?

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Jan 31 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Jan 31

Two from the Worldwide Leader in Sports...

From ESPN:

FSU names ex-ACC boss John Swofford in amended complaint

by Andrea Adelson, ESPN Senior Writer, Jan 30, 2024, 11:35 AM ET (I added bold - Hokie Mark)

The Florida State board of trustees has filed an amended complaint to its lawsuit against the ACC, alleging the conference engaged in "self-dealing" when former commissioner John Swofford made media rights deals that cost member schools "millions of dollars" while helping his son.

The 59-page amended complaint, filed Monday night in Leon County, Florida, and obtained by ESPN, adds onto the allegations of "chronic fiduciary mismanagement and bad faith" that Florida State made in its first lawsuit, filed on Dec. 22.

Florida State is seeking declaratory judgment to void the league's grant of rights and withdrawal fee as "unreasonable restraints of trade in the state of Florida and not enforceable in their entirety against Florida State."

I've heard this rumored for years. Personally, I hope this does come out in the trial - I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know if it's true!

Other

Breeze Airways bringing new affordable seasonal route from Syracuse to Raleigh-Durham (cnycventral.com; Misiaszek)

Breeze Airways announced that it would be adding a new seasonal route to Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina from Syracuse Hancock International Airport.

The new route will have twice-weekly service on Thursdays and Sundays starting May 23, with fares starting from $59* if booked by Feb. 5 for travel by Sept. 3, 2024.

“We’re excited our partner Breeze Airways has elected to increase convenient, direct access to the Research Triangle of North Carolina with this new nonstop flight,” said SRAA Executive Director Jason Terreri. “We are confident this nonstop flight will not only serve as a pivotal travel solution for Syracuse University (SU) fans but also foster a stronger sense of camaraderie among Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) enthusiasts. It's a new era for Orange travel, and we look forward to witnessing the tremendous impact this direct route will have on the SU fan experience and their engagement with ACC teams in the RDU vicinity.”

“We are always on the lookout for new opportunities, and we think this new route to Raleigh-Durham will be a hit for our Guests in Syracuse,” said Breeze Airways’ President Tom Doxey. “We are excited to bring more affordable and convenient destinations to our Guests in Northern New York.”

Breeze Airways launches affordable seasonal flights from Syracuse to Fort Myers
Breeze offers guests both bundled and a la carte options known as Nice, Nicer and -- on flights operated with the Airbus A220-300 -- Nicest.

The Nicer bundle includes a checked bag and carry-on as well as a premium economy seat in its “extra legroom” section. The Nicest bundle includes two checked bags, priority boarding and Breeze Ascent—the carrier’s inflight experience featuring 2x2 recliner seating and complimentary snacks and beverages, including alcohol.

Breeze doesn’t charge change or cancellation fees up to 15 minutes prior to departure and offers other benefits such as free family seating and a la carte pricing.

In surprise move, 92 Syracuse public housing units could be replaced by a hospital building (PS; $; Breidenbach)

The Syracuse Housing Authority is considering a plan to allow SUNY Upstate Medical University to build an 8-story optometry school on land now occupied by 92 public housing apartments near Interstate 81.

The SHA previously announced plans to tear down the apartments – some of the state’s oldest public housing – as part of an $800 million project to rebuild apartments for a mix of income levels. Building an optometry school in their place is a new development.

SUNY Upstate plans to use $125 million from this year’s state budget for the building, SUNY Upstate President Mantosh Dewan wrote in a letter of support for a federal grant application for the SHA.

Darryl Geddes, a hospital spokesman, said the SHA land is one possible site for the optometry school and depends on funding.

State lawmakers are holding hearings on Gov. Kathy Hochul’s proposed budget under an April 1 deadline to vote. Her budget staff did not respond to questions for this report.

Assemblywoman Pam Hunter, who represents most of the residents of public housing, said she was unaware of the plan, could not find it in the budget and had several questions about the idea.

Hunter, D-Syracuse, asked who else could be interested in the valuable land? Do the tenants know about the proposal? Will they be displaced?

“How many other parts of the plan include these kind of private or public/private/not-for-profit partnerships on land that they own?” she asked about the greater footprint, which has more than 1,000 apartments slated to be torn down.

MATMP5BBK5CB5LL6FLQUIBRLSU.jpg

Harrison House, a former home for low- and moderate-income tenants in Syracuse, has been vacant since SUNY Upstate Medical University took possession in 2010.

Syracuse punishes NY for ‘mothballing’ apartment high-rise during housing crisis (PS; $; Knauss)

Syracuse officials are planning to collect property taxes for the first time on a state-owned apartment tower that has stood vacant for 13 years amid a growing housing crisis.

Despite Gov. Kathy Hochul’s urgent calls for new housing, state officials have made no move to bring the long-vacant Harrison House apartment tower back to life. The 21-story building has 199 empty apartments.

Now city officials say there’s a penalty for mothballing the building indefinitely. Since the state never followed through on promises to renovate Harrison House, the property no longer qualifies for the tax exemption normally given to hospitals and educational facilities, city assessors say.

Without the exemption, the building will likely incur property taxes of more than $70,000 a year.

Officials at SUNY Upstate Medical University, which owns Harrison House, say they will fight the city’s effort to collect taxes. SUNY Upstate plans to hold onto the property and use it for an as-yet undetermined purpose connected to the medical school complex, spokesman Darryl Geddes said.

“Upstate considers the property as critical to its existing west campus operations and is reviewing options for redevelopment in support of Upstate’s mission,’’ Geddes said in an email.

One possibility would be to use the site in connection with Upstate’s plan to build an extension campus of the New York City-based SUNY College of Optometry, Geddes said. Upstate officials are still reviewing whether to renovate the Harrison House structure or tear it down, he said.

If Syracuse officials prevail on the tax issue, Upstate will no longer be able to hold the property in limbo for free. City assessors removed the building’s tax exemption Jan. 1, which means for the first time since 2011 it will incur property taxes.

Harrison House is assessed at $1.9 million. At current tax rates, that will result in city, county and school tax bills totaling more than $70,000 a year.