Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
freedom.gif

Welcome to National Freedom Day!

National Freedom Day, which celebrates the freedom that Americans share, takes place on the anniversary of the date in 1865 when Abraham Lincoln signed a joint House and Senate resolution that proposed the 13th Amendment, which would go on to outlaw slavery after being ratified by the states. Not only does the holiday celebrate freedom, but it honors the signing of the resolution. Lincoln did not live to see the resolution ratified, as he died the following spring, but it was ratified on December 6, 1865, and the amendment was adopted on December 18, 1865.

SU News

Syracuse Football: ‘Cuse can contend for ACC’s top tier in 2024 season, experts say (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football, given its recent recruiting wins and a seemingly favorable schedule, is a program to watch in the Atlantic Coast Conference during the upcoming 2024 season, numerous national and ACC experts have lately said.

Since Fran Brown officially took over as the head coach of the Orange in early December, he’s built up a top-notch staff. The team has seen multiple of its best players from the 2023 term decide to return for another year, and we’ve documented on many occasions what the ‘Cuse has done with its 2024 recruiting class, both among high school seniors and college transfers.

The buzz in Central New York is undeniable. It’s an exciting time. Yet as I’ve noted, and other fans have opined, it remains to be seen what the Orange will do on the field in 2024, which will represent Brown’s first-ever stanza as a collegiate head coach.

Regardless, the chatter among ACC and national pundits continues to arrive. In recent days, I’ve come across a variety of encouraging sentiments from experts about the prospects for the ‘Cuse in the next season.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/qeanu-johnson-recaps-syracuse-visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2025 Hamden (CT) Hall athlete Qeanu Johnson is one of the more intriguing prospects in New England. He plays both wide receiver and defensive back in high school, and is being recruited for both at the next level. The 6-1, 190 pounder holds offers from Boston College, Duke, Indiana, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse and West Virginia. He spent Saturday on the Syracuse campus to get a closer look at the program.

"I really enjoyed my time up there," Johnson said. "First I got there and I got taken around campus. Then I came back and met with strength and conditioning, got weighed in and measurements taken. Met with nutrition and then went to have lunch. I met with coach Brown about the program and how he is as a coach.

"It went good. Some of my favorite parts were getting suited up, the basketball game, coaches meetings and the strength staff."

That basketball game was watching Syracuse beat NC State in the Dome Saturday night.

"I loved the game," Johnson said. "It was a great atmosphere and towards the end it go to be a nail biter. The atmosphere was crazy though. It was loud in there. I would be sitting then the bleacher just starts moving and shaking. The student section was going sick and the fans as well. I don't think there was an empty seat in there."

2026 QB Qur’an McNeill reacts to Syracuse offer (247sports.com; Finneral)

Class of 2026 quarterback Qur'an McNeill was offered by Syracuse a few weeks ago. McNeill is very thankful to be considered by Syracuse and he can’t wait to learn more about the football program.

“I was fired up and I’m very excited to see what the program has to offer moving forward,” McNeill said.

McNeill is a versatile signal-caller at Milton Academy in Massachusetts. He is looking forward to building a relationship with the Orange coaching staff throughout his recruiting process.

“My first impression of Coach Brown is definitely someone with a winning mentality,” McNeill said. “I have nothing but respect for the rest of the coaching staff and coach Campanile is a great dude.”

McNeill has not taken a visit to Syracuse yet, but said he plans to ‘soon.’ He still has a long way to go in his recruitment, but he holds Syracuse in very high regard.

“Syracuse is definitely at the top of the list, but because I’m still young I’m taking it day by day,” he said.

McNeill also has offers from Arkansas, Boston College, UConn, UMass and Campbell. He said what Syracuse ‘offers after football’ is what sets the school apart.

Syracuse football in top 5 of 4-star CB, top-100 national prospect who just visited (itlh; Adler)

Dawayne Galloway Jr., a top-100 overall player in the 2025 class, is high on Syracuse football after taking an unofficial visit to the ‘Cuse last Saturday.

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound Galloway is a consensus top-200 national prospect and a four-star cornerback/athlete who stars for Marion-Franklin High School in Columbus, Ohio.

He was one of numerous highly rated targets on the Orange campus this past weekend, and Galloway was in attendance for the Syracuse basketball win over N.C. State on Saturday night, when ‘Cuse legend Dave Bing got inducted into the SU Athletics Ring of Honor.

Dawayne Galloway Jr. is an elite 2025 four-star cornerback/athlete out of Marion-Franklin High School in Columbus, Ohio. Top-100 national prospect. We'd love to see you commit to the 'Cuse down the line, @DeejGalloway85! https://t.co/8BU4lziEzy
— InsideTheLoudHouse (@LoudHouseFS) January 28, 2024
As far as watching the Syracuse basketball victory at the JMA Wireless Dome, Galloway told SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister, “It was pretty legit. We had fun and it was electric.”

Dawayne Galloway Jr. has a close relationship with Syracuse football head coach Fran Brown.

Throughout his recruitment, Galloway has picked up scholarship offers from more than 20 college squads, according to recruiting services.

16 Named to All-ACC Academic Team - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Sixteen Syracuse football players were honored for their success in the classroom in 2023.

Kadin Bailey (communication and rhetorical studies), Justin Barron (psychology), Chris Bleich (entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises), Berry Buxton III (economics), Tom Callahan (entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises), David Clement (policy studies), Kevon Darton (information systems), Ryan Dolan (applied data analytics), Malcolm Folk (political science), Darrell Gill Jr. (undeclared – College of Arts and Sciences), Isaiah Johnson (political science), Josh Kubala (political science), Derek McDonald (broadcast and digital journalism), Cornell Perry (communication and rhetorical studies), Mark Petry (exercise science) and Jack Stonehouse (communication and rhetorical studies), were named to the All-ACC Academic Team by the conference.

It's the second time receiving the honor for both Johnson and McDonald.

Academic requirements for selection to the All-ACC Academic Team are a 3.0-grade point average for the previous semester and a 3.0 cumulative average during one's academic career. In addition, student-athletes must have competed in at least 50-percent of their team's contests on the season. The 16 Orange honorees ties for eighth-most of any ACC school.

The ACC Honor Roll, which recognizes student-athletes academic achievements regardless of on-field participation, will be announced in July.

TNIAAM Reacts: Time to make some predictions Syracuse Orange fans (TNIAAM; Wall)

Hey Syracuse fans. We are back with our fan surveys. This week we want you to put your magic 8-ball to the test with some predictions.

Let’s get right to the big question heading into February- Will the Syracuse Men’s Basketball team make the NCAA Tournament this year?

The Orange women are in a good position right now, but do you think they can play their way into hosting at the Dome? Will Syracuse Women’s Basketball earn a top four seed in the NCAA Tournament?

This weekend kicks off the start of lacrosse season. Do you think one or both of the Syracuse Lacrosse teams make the Final Four in 2024?

Finally, the Disloyal Idiots got some people talking with their football predictions. How many wins are you predicting for Syracuse football in 2024? We set the floor at 6 and if you want to go lower, then put in the comments and stamp your name on it.

1. Will the Syracuse Men’s Basketball team make the NCAA Tournament this year?

• Yes
  • No

2. Will Syracuse Women’s Basketball earn a top four seed in the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
  • No

Y7AEW7AA2JFWTEXXZCHME2TUKU.JPG

Syracuse University Football Coach Dick MacPherson and his wife Sandra at their home in 1990. Syracuse Post-Standard

Today’s obituary: Sandra MacPherson, 86, was wife of Syracuse University’s Hall of Fame football coach (PS; $; Croyle)

Sandra MacPherson, the beloved wife of 58 years of Syracuse University’s Hall of Fame football coach, Dick MacPherson, died peacefully on Saturday, January 27, in Syracuse.

She was 86 years old.

According to her obituary, she was born in St. Stephen, New Brunswick on August 2, 1937. She grew up in Calais, Maine with her sister Janet.

According to a 1987 Post-Standard profile, she played basketball and was a cheerleader in high school.

At Springfield College, she was a physical education major. So too was Dick MacPherson, whom she met while both attended the school.

They were married in 1958 and built a family which included two daughters, four grandchildren and hundreds of football players “whom Mac coached, and Sandra welcomed like family,” her obituary said.

She was a gym teacher briefly but gave it up to support her husband as he started a coaching journey which brought the couple to the universities at Illinois, Maryland, Cincinnati, Massachusetts, and the Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns of the NFL.

In 1980, the couple moved to Syracuse when her husband got the job with the Orange.

“I’m his straight man, I think,” she said in 1987.

In a 1989 radio interview she spoke about the stresses of being a coach’s wife. She often had to wear her own “game face” to tailgate parties.

“First of all, you can barely swallow, let alone eat a bite. And you don’t really feel like having to make small talk or having to be anything. You kind of just want to be left alone and get it over with and see what happens. It isn’t a time to have fun.”

(youtube; video; TA Sports)

Highlight of the great Gale Sayers vs Syracuse in his senior season...

ACC News

Spring Game Presented By Wegmans Set For April 20 At 3 p.m. - University of North Carolina Athletics (goheels.com)

North Carolina will hold its annual Spring Football Game presented by Wegmans on Saturday, April 20 at 3 p.m. in Kenan Stadium. We'll have more information to share at a later date, but we wanted to give fans the opportunity to save the date and make plans to be in Chapel Hill that day to get their first glimpse of the 2024 Tar Heels.

Season ticket renewals and new season ticket deposits are on sale now. Returning season ticket holders can lock in their season ticket locations by renewing prior to Friday, March 8th at www.goheels.com/renew. New season tickets deposits can be placed by contacting the UNC Athletic Ticket Office at 919-962-2296. If you would like to sign-up for up-to-date single game or group ticket information, please fill out the Ticket Interest Form and a UNC ticket office representative will contact you.

For up-to-date information on Carolina Football and the 2023 Spring Game, visit GoHeels.com/Football and follow us on Twitter (@UNCFootball), Instagram (@uncfootball) and Facebook (Facebook.com/TarHeelFootball).

Report: Boston College football coach leaving to take NFL coordinator job (PS; Campbell)

The Green Bay Packers are expected to hire the Boston College head coach as their next defensive coordinator, the school announced. ESPN’s Pete Thamel was the first to report the news.

“We are incredibly grateful to Coach Hafley for his service to Boston College and to our student-athletes,” director of athletics Blake James said in a statement.. “He was a true ambassador of our institution, and under his leadership, the Eagles earned three bowl berths, excelled academically, and represented Boston College with class and distinction. We wish him, his wife, Gina, and their daughters, Hope and Leah, all the best in their next steps.”

In four seasons with the Eagles, Hafley went 22-26. He had two winning seasons and played in one bowl game. Boston College was bowl eligible in three of Hafley’s four seasons, but opted out in 2020. The following year, the school didn’t play in the bowl game due to COVID-19. The Eagles earned a victory in the 2023 Fenway Bowl over SMU.

“I loved my four years at Boston College,” Hafley said. “This is an exceptional place to coach given the caliber of student-athletes we recruit, the facilities, and the support from the University and BC fans. I will miss the players who gave so much of themselves these past four years, and my wife Gina and I will certainly miss the BC community and the many friends we have made here.”

The Packers fired Joe Barry after three seasons in Green Bay. The defense struggled under Barry dropping from ninth in the league in total defense to 17th during the 2022 season, and finished in the same spot in 2023. The run defense was a glaring issue with Barry in charge, ranking 28th against the run.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...decision-to-leave-program-for-shocking-reason (athlonsports.coim; Borba)

According to a report by ESPN's Pete Thamel, Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley is leaving Boston College to take the defensive coordinator job for the Green Bay Packers.

The reasoning behind his departure is one that appears to have become more common over the past couple of seasons, which is the madness that is college football being too much. The transfer portal craziness and NIL influence on the sport is pushing coaches out, which is what seemed to be the case.

Jeff Hafley OUT at Boston College; Takes DC Role w/ Green Bay Packers; UNC & The BOT (youtube; pocast; Locked on the ACC)

Jeff Hafley leaves Boston College like a thief in the night. What will this mean for Eagles coaching staff, recruits and current players? Candace & Kenton way in on the HC's departure for Green Bay Packers.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/josh-pate-thinks-one-acc-contender-could-struggle-in-2024 (Athlon; Borba)

Success carrying over from one year to the next is always appreciated in college football, but it is never a guarantee.
We have seen teams like TCU be in the championship one year, and finish below .500 the next. We have also season teams go from sub. 500 to winning 10 games the following season. Things such as coaching changes, players leaving, and schedules of course all play a factor, and for Lousville in 2024, 247Sports' Josh Pate thinks a couple of those things may hinder them.
Josh Pate
Josh Pate Believes The Two Championship Contenders Will Take A Step Back in 2024

Pate explained that Lousiville benefited from a favorable schedule in 2023 as well as stellar coaching by Jeff Brohm leading to their 10-4 season. Whether those things will work in their favor again is to be determined.

"Louisville was in the ACC Championship Game this past year," said Pate. "Louisville went 10-2 in the regular season. That was partly because Jeff Brohm is a stud as a coach and partly because they had a workable schedule. The schedule inverts this year. They've got a much tougher draw. They play three of the top four teams in the ACC this upcoming year. They play Notre Dame and Kentucky out of conference. Four of their final five weeks are on the road."

The Cardinals did however bring in the No. 6 transfer portal class, which should help their odds. The ACC will look a bit different in 2024, with Stanford, Cal, and SMU all joining.

Louisville opens the season on August 31 against Austin Peay.

The TreeCast Episode 174: Football's New Slate - Stanford University Athletics (gostanford.com,; podcast; Stanford Athletics)

In this week's episode of the TreeCast, Troy Clardy speaks with Kelsey Riggs of the ACC Network, Stanford Football's Matt Doyle, and Birkhofer Family Men's Volleyball Head Coach John Kosty.

Inside today's show:

• ACC Network's Kelsey Riggs breaks down what fans can expect in a new-look ACC Conference through the lens of the 2024 football schedule.
  • On the heels of last week's football schedule release, we connect with Matt Doyle, Senior Associate Athletic Director for Football Operations and Player Development, who breaks down what travel-related operations will look like for the Cardinal as part of the ACC.
  • Birkhofer Family Men's Volleyball Head Coach John Kosty joins the show to discuss men's volleyball's electric, undefeated start to the 2024 season, as well as what to expect from this year's squad.
Listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.

2023 Good Wins, Bad Losses (RX; HM)

2023 Good Wins, Bad Losses

Long-time readers are familiar with my definition of a "good win" (over a P5 team) and a bad loss (to anyone else), which I've tracked for years. It's an indication of what the conference teams really accomplished out-of-conference (for good or bad). Here's my analysis of the 2023 season:

ACC

Good Wins (14)

vs Big Ten (4)
Duke 38, Northwestern 14
Louisville 21, Indiana 14
North Carolina 31, Minnesota 13
Syracuse 35, Purdue 20
vs SEC (7)
Florida St 45, LSU 24
North Carolina 31, South Carolina 17
Miami (FL) 48, Texas A&M 33
Wake Forest 36, Vanderbilt 20
Clemson 16, South Carolina 7
Florida St 24, Florida 15
Clemson 38, Kentucky 35
vs Pac-12 (0)
vs Big XII (1)

Georgia Tech 30, UCF 17
vs Notre Dame (2)
Louisville 33, Notre Dame 20
Clemson 31, Notre Dame 23

Bad Losses (5)

vs Sun Belt (2)
Virginia 35, James Madison 36
Virginia Tech 17, Marshall 24
vs American (1)
Syracuse 0, South Florida 45 (bowl)
vs MAC (2)
Boston Coll 24, Northern Illinois 27
Georgia Tech 27, Bowling Green 38

The ACC had more good wins than any other power conference, and it did so without leading the P5 in bad losses! Seven wins over SEC teams highlighted the season for the good, but they still need to reign in those bad losses.

Big Ten

Good Wins (11)

vs SEC (2)
Michigan 27, Alabama 20 (CFP)
Maryland 31, Auburn 13 (bowl)
vs Pac-12 (2)
Northwestern 14, Utah 7
Michigan 34, Washington 13 (CFP)

2023 All-ACC Academic Team (RX; HM)

2023 All-ACC Academic Team

From the official ACC release of Wednesday, January 31, 2024...

Multiple-Time Honorees Headline All-ACC Academic Football Team

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) – Four-time All-ACC Academic Football Team members Porter Wilson of Duke and Taylor Morin of Wake Forest headline the 2023 All-ACC Academic Team, announced Wednesday by the league office.

In addition to Wilson and Morin earning their fourth All-ACC Academic Team honor, three-time selections include Clemson’s Will Shipley (RB), Duke’s Graham Barton (OL) and Charlie Ham (K), Florida State’s Ryan Fitzgerald (K), NC State’s Dylan McMahon (OL), and Wake Forest’s Justin Ellison (RB) and Michael Jurgens (OL).

Duke redshirt senior defensive tackle DeWayne Carter was named the recipient of the 2023 Jim Tatum Award in November. The award is given annually in memory of the late Jim Tatum to the top senior student-athlete among the league's football players.

All 14 ACC Football member institutions were represented on the team. Duke and Wake Forest led all schools with 29 selections, followed by Clemson (27) and Virginia (27). Florida State (26) and Louisville (23) had over 20 selections as well. The ACC has selected an All-ACC Academic Football Team every year since 1954.

Comparing 2024 CA Schedules (RX; HM)

Comparing 2024 CA Schedules

The four P5 schools in the Golden State are being split into two different conferences for next season. Their new schedules are out. How do they compare? Let's compare the two public schools first. I've highlighted home P5 games in color...

DateUCLACal
Aug. 31at HawaiiUC Davis
Sep. 7OFFat Auburn
Sept. 14IndianaSan Diego St
Sept. 21at LSUat Florida State
Sept. 28OregonOFF
Oct. 5at Penn StateMiami
Oct. 12Minnesotaat Pitt
Oct. 19at RutgersNC State
Oct. 26OFFOregon State
Nov. 2at NebraskaOFF
Nov. 9Iowaat Wake (FRI)
Nov. 16at WashingtonSyracuse
Nov. 23USCStanford
Nov. 30Fresno Stateat SMU

UCLA, as a member of the Big Ten, will play 6 home games and 6 away. Five of those home games will be against Big Ten opponents. The Bruins will make trips to Hawaii, LSU, Penn State, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Washington.

Other

Hungry Chuck’s is one of the most iconic bars in Syracuse’s Marshall Street. Will it reopen? (PS; $; Cazentre)

You can’t miss the bright yellow exterior, but the sign that tells you it’s the home of the iconic Marshall Street bar Hungry Chuck’s is covered by a for sale sign.

The legendary hangout for Syracuse University students and others has operated in one spot or another near Marshall Street on and off since 1970. It has been at 135 Marshall St. since the fall of 2022.

But will it reopen?

The answer, for the moment, is no. It is not open for the current SU semester.

But Stephen Theobald, who owns both the bar and the separate company that owns the building, said he still has hopes.

In a series of email exchanges with syracuse.com this month, Theobald wrote that he is “looking at different options for the building. I still have intent to see Chuck’s reopen in the future!”

He said recently he has been spending time on family matters.

Last April, Theobald started a Gofundme account, called Save’s Chuck’s Future, to help raise money to keep the bar open. He set a goal of $500,000, but the account fell far short of that. It has since been deactivated.

Theobald said at the time he created the account that business was slower than expected at the new location, citing what he called a “perfect storm” of factors. They included fewer customers, especially students, going out since the Covid pandemic, dwindling attendance at SU sporting events and the supply chain and inflation issues affecting many businesses.

In the Gofundme campaign, Theobald hoped to raise enough money to cover operating expenses and pay for improvements needed to make the bar a destination again. Those included better bathrooms, a new bar, a patio in the rear and a rooftop deck.

The bar, also known as Chuck’s or Hungry Charlie’s, has been a long-time fixture in the Marshall Street area. It started in 1970 in a location in the alleyway that ran off South Crouse Avenue behind and parallel to Marshall Street itself. It changed locations in the alley several times over the years.

Its previous location in the alley was demolished in 2017 to make way for a high-rise residential/retail development called The Marshall. That project also displaced other business, like Funk ‘n Waffles and AppeThaizing.

Plans to build optometry school in place of Syracuse public housing on hold after public reacts (PS; $; Breidenbach)

The Syracuse Housing Authority has paused talks with SUNY Upstate Medical University about building an optometry school in place of public housing.

Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard reported Tuesday that the two were discussing a deal that would allow the hospital to build an 8-story eye doctor school where 92 units of public housing are slated to be torn down near Interstate 81.

SHA Board President Calvin Corriders said the board on Wednesday asked Director Bill Simmons to put the idea on hold and seek ideas from more community partners. That includes other institutions and developers as well as tenants and elected leaders in city and state government, he said.

Corriders is also on the SUNY Upstate Advisory Board. Corriders said he was in meetings Friday with Simmons and SUNY Upstate officials. SUNY Upstate officials said they could secure $125 million from the state budget to build an optometry school in Syracuse. They put that information in writing to support the SHA’s application for a $50 million grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The SHA had not yet told tenants about the idea.

After the details became public Tuesday, Corriders said tenants and others questioned whether an optometry school was the best plan for the neighborhood. There are already concerns about Syracuse University and SUNY Upstate taking over land intended to house some of the city’s most vulnerable residents, he said.

Syracuse Deputy Mayor Sharon Owens said she called Corriders immediately and asked him to put the plan on pause. Owens is president of the board of Blueprint 15, a non-profit advocacy group for redeveloping the South Side neighborhood. She said the plan was met with a “visceral reaction” from Blueprint 15′s board, which includes tenants.

“This is not a good idea,” Owens said. “I got immediate red flags when I heard.”

R5OWYDIX2VFZNG6XGDRO4UDR6U.jpg

Cheers! the first green beers of the season at Green Beer Sunday 2023 at Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Book It: Syracuse’s most popular Sunday Funday built around emerald lager is less than a month away (PS; Miller)

Hurry up and book your babysitter and ask for the next day off before it’s too late. Green Beer Sunday, Central New York’s most popular Sunday Funday, is officially less than a month away.

Dennis Coleman, the son of the locally-invented holiday’s founder, announced this year’s festivities will be Feb. 25 in and around Coleman’s Authentic Irish Pub at 100 S. Lowell St. The daylong party include a tiny parade that stretches a mere two blocks, the pouring of the year’s first green pilsner from a tanker-truck and live music inside and out throughout the day.

Peter Coleman, the longtime owner of the pub, invented Green Beer Sunday in the 1960s. He proclaimed that marks the official beginning of St. Patrick’s “season” in Central New York. He oversaw the annual party until he died in 2021. Dennis Coleman has since taken over.

The 20th annual St. Baldrick’s event to raise money to conquer pediatric cancer is a week later, on March 3, at Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub downtown.

The 19th annual Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run is March 9.

The annual St. Patrick’s Day parade kickoff event at Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub is noon on March 10.

The painting of the green stripe is March 15 at the corner of Water and South Salina streets with Parade honorees. That’s followed by the Grand Marshal Gala at 6 p.m. This year’s grand marshals are Marty Cahill and Dave Lynch, a couple of local barflies who have done a lot for Syracuse’s Irish community over the years.