Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
200w.gif

Welcome to German Beer Day!

German Beer Day celebrates German beer—one of the most revered exports of Germany—as well as the Reinheitsgebot, the beer purity law that was proclaimed by Duke Wilhelm IV on today's date in 1516 and adopted across the Duchy of Bavaria. The world's oldest consumer protection law, Reinheitsgebot originally specified that beer could only contain water, barley, and hops. The law was primarily created as a way to control the market: it prevented brewers from buying up all the wheat and using it up in beer, which would cause bread prices to rise. It prevented beer from surrounding free cities and duchies from being sold in Bavaria, protecting brewers there. It also made it less likely that beer would be brewed with harmful ingredients.

After Bavaria joined the German Empire, Reinheitsgebot was adopted by the German Empire, and then the Weimar Republic adopted it after World War I. It is part of domestic federal legislation today, albeit with some small changes. First, yeast is now a permissible ingredient. Second, beer with other ingredients added can be sold, as long as it isn't labeled as "beer." Reinheitsgebot is still an important component of marketing in Germany, being a symbol of tradition and the cultural values of exactness and patience. On German Beer Day, specials are offered by brewers, especially in Germany. Beer halls and beer gardens in the United States have been known to hold festivities, too.

SU News

Ziyyon Bredell commits to Syracuse football (247sports.com; McAlllister)

Fresh off of a weekend visit to Syracuse including attending the annual spring game, 2025 Philadelphia (PA) Lincoln athlete Ziyyon Bredell has committed to the Orange. He announced the decision during a pre-planned event at his high school. The 6-1, 175 pounder previously announced a final three of Syracuse, Maryland and Pittsburgh. In addition to those three, Bredell also held scholarship offers from Boston College, Kentucky, Nebraska and several others. He will be coming to the Orange as a defensive back.

This past season was Bredell's first playing defensive back as he previously focused on just wide receiver. He was named 6A All-State as a defensive back for the 2023 season.

The talented athlete is the 16th player overall to commit to the Orange. He joins edge Sharlandiin Strange out of Cheltenham High in Pennsylvania, wide receiver, Darien Williams out of Christian Brothers Academy in New York, defensive back Javon Lawrence out of North Rockland High in New York, offensive lineman Byron Washington out of DeSoto High in Texas, defensive back Marcus Upton out of Winslow Township High in New Jersey, defensive back Jordan Gibbs out of Longwood High in New York, two-way lineman Jaylan Pray out of Brunswick School in Connecticut, quarterback Luke Carney out of Dallas Christian School in Texas, running back Bo MacCormack out of Buckingham Browne & Nichols School in Massachusetts, offensive lineman Matthew Hawn out of Christian Brothers Academy in New York, wide receiver Julian McFadden out of LeSalle College High in Pennsylvania, running back Malachi Coleman out of Fleming High in Virginia, offensive lineman Kardiear Shepherd out of Cicero North Syracuse High in New York, wide receiver Terrell Wilfong out of West Orange High in New Jersey and defensive lineman Haleem Muhammad out of Pennington School in New Jersey.

Syracuse football's 2025 recruiting class is currently ranked 10th in the nation and second in the ACC with those 16 commitments. Of those 16, 13 are from the Northeast. They include five from Syracuse's home state of New York, three from New Jersey, three from Pennsylvania, one from Connecticut and one from Massachusetts. The three players not from the Northeast include two from Texas and one from Virginia. The Orange has offers out all across the country, however, as Fran Brown has taken a national approach to looking for talent while also focusing closely on keeping talent home.

Syracuse football lands 16th commitment from top Philadelphia defensive back (PS; Leiker)

A Class of 2025 defensive back from Philadelphia has committed to Syracuse football.

Ziyyon Bredell chose the Orange over Maryland and Pittsburgh on Monday, he revealed during a ceremony at his high school and then posted on Instagram. He also had offers from Penn State, Boston College, Nebraska and a handful others.

Bredell (6-foot-1, 175 pounds) was assigned a rating in the 247Sports Composite shortly after his commitment, having not been rated previously. He is a 3-star and the No. 25 player in Pennsylvania.

He plays both wide receiver and defensive back at Lincoln High School (Pa.). The Pennsylvania Football Writers named him to their 6A All-State team at DB.

Lincoln finished 7-6 overall but 4-0 in its conference and appeared in the first round of the state tournament.

Bredell is the 16th commitment in Syracuse’s 2025 class, over half of which is from the Northeast.

TNIAAM Roundtable: our takeaways from this year’s Syracuse football spring game (TNIAAM; Staff)
The Syracuse Orange concluded their first spring practice under Fran Brown with the spring game on Saturday night. What did our staff take from seeing the Orange in action under the JMA Dome lights?

Kevin: Newcomers ready to contribute

One of the issues for the Orange in recent years has been a lack of depth. Two freshmen made a strong impression on me on Saturday. Both Yasin Willis and KingJoseph Edwards looked like they belong at this level. While neither player is likely to start in the Fall, having that kind of talent on the second unit is a sign the Orange are getting deeper.

Dom: Flashes of the Kyle McCord-led offense

As expected, Kyle McCord shined across the board in his first “game” at the helm for the Orange. The accuracy looked great across the board, and so did the handful of big-yard plays. There was a lot of anticipation among the Syracuse fanbase, and McCord certainly put on a show. Flipping the coin a bit, the backup QB room still feels like a weakness.

Mike: Quality and Quantity in the pass game

Even without the top 2 receivers (Oronde Gadsden and Jackson Meeks) on the field, there already seems like considerable growth among the wideouts. Trebor Pena filled the slot role so well that you’d wonder why he was really only on special teams in the past, Zeed Haynes and Umari Hatcher got separation on deep shots, and even Darrell Gill has his moment with a leaping grab in double coverage.

Paul Pasqualoni’s daughter, Cami, part of SU football’s recruiting department: ‘I saw how much it brought to our family’ (PS; $; Carlson)

Syracuse football coach Fran Brown has said repeatedly that he wants to learn from the moments when the Orange football program has found success, to take the portions of the recipe that remain relevant.

When he needs some inspiration, he doesn’t have to go far.

Cami Pasqualoni, the daughter of former Syracuse head coach Paul Pasqualoni, is an intern in the team’s recruiting department. She helps organize, schedule and plan visits for recruits and is part of an effort focused on returning SU’s talent level to where it was during the peak of her father’s era.

Cami first came into the Syracuse football program as an intern on Dino Babers’ recruiting staff, pursuing a career in football because she saw first-hand how much the sport did for her father and her family.

“I saw how much it brought to my family,” Cami said. “My dad came from a family on a farm who grew up with nothing. It gave him everything and our family everything. I’ve seen what it can do, and I love the sport.”

Pasqualoni was raised on the former Pasqualoni Farms in Cheshire, Connecticut.

Brown often references Paul Pasqualoni and his long-time offensive coordinator George DeLeone when discussing where he envisions taking the program.

The braintrust helped the Orange to a 107-59-1 record during Paul Pasqualoni’s 14 seasons as a head coach. Paul also spent four seasons as an assistant coach at Syracuse, starting in the unbeaten 1987 season.

(youtube; podcast; CNY Central)
Syracuse football held its spring football game Saturday evening.With all the buzz surrounding the start of the Fran Brown era, this was Orange fans' first look at this highly anticipated team.
Syracuse football alumni flood the spring game, calling it the Fran Brown Effect (youtube; podcast; CNY Central)
Syracuse football held its spring football game Saturday evening.With all the buzz surrounding the start of the Fran Brown era, this was Orange fans' first look at this highly anticipated team.
How does Kyle McCord compare to Garrett Shrader? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse Football recently played its Spring Game. Fran Brown's squad had plenty of stand-outs. Ohio State transfer Kyle McCord looked as good as advertised, and the connection between him and Georgia transfer Yazeed Haynes could be lethal. Trebor Pena, Yasin Willis, Fadil Diggs, and Kingjoseph Edwards also flashed during the game. Finally what should expectations be for the Orange next season?
Syracuse Football DISRESPECTED | Kyle McCord NOT TOP-10 ACC QB?! Fran Brown BOTTOM-5 COACH?! (youtube; pocast; premieres at 9 AM EST today)

Syracuse Football DISRESPECTED | Kyle McCord NOT TOP-10 ACC QB?! Fran Brown BOTTOM-5 COACH?!
Georgia transfer WR shines in Syracuse spring game (usatoday; Morgan)
Syracuse Orange wide receiver Yazeed Haynes, a Georgia transfer, stood out in Syracuse’s spring game. Haynes received a team-high 10 targets and hauled in six receptions for 74 yards and a touchdown. Haynes caught a 38-yard touchdown that was one of the Orange’s top plays in their spring game.

Haynes, a former four-star recruit, followed first-year Syracuse head coach Fran Brown from Georgia to Syracuse. Haynes’ explosiveness and route running ability was on full display for the white team.
The redshirt freshman pass catcher elected to transfer to Syracuse during the December window along with several of his Georgia teammates. Haynes is expected to be one of Syracuse’s top receivers this fall.

Here’s a look at his 38-yard touchdown reception:

Up top for the 38-yd TD! @kylemccord16 @ZeedHaynes pic.twitter.com/AEt3OWSnJq
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) April 20, 2024

Former Georgia wide receiver Jackson Meeks also transferred to Syracuse along with offensive tackle Joshua Miller. Fran Brown and Syracuse will have little bit of Dawg in this fall.

Syracuse Football Alumni at the 2024 Spring Game (youtube; video; Butler)

Syracuse Football alumni voice their opinions on the new Fran Brown era after the 2024 spring game.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Syracuse and more Northern Spring Game reactions (youtube; podcast; Kings of the North)

College football rolled out eight more Northern spring games last week, and Doug Lesmerises and Bill Landis are here to react to all of them, finding spring stars and asking spring questions on this Kings of the North.From excitement about Syracuse and Indiana to questions about Iowa and Illinois, ton some confirmation about Michigan and Notre Dame, Doug and Bill discussed in order:• Syracuse (0:41)• Michigan (13:00)• Indiana (25:30)• Notre Dame (34:45)• Iowa State (46:00)• Michigan State (54:00)• Iowa (1:01:30)• Illinois (1:10:00)Thanks for joining kings of the North.

Observations from SU spring game: Four key players to watch on offense (orangefizz.net; Shalam)

In Fran Brown’s Syarcuse coaching debut, four different players showed up on the offensive side of the ball. 10,000 fans were in attendance for the game, the most in ‘Cuse history. So, who sent the historic crowd home happy and what does this mean for the squad?

Kyle McCord – Senior QB

The Ohio State transfer had a dream debut inside of the dome. McCord completed 18-of-28 passes for 242 yards and a touchdown in just the first half. Many were curious if the Philadelphia native has the ability to lead the SU offense, and so far he has proved more than capable to the task.

Trebor Pena – Redshirt Junior WR

With the departure of Damian Alford to Utah earlier this week, the wide receiver room has looked thin besides Oronde Gasden II. Pena showed on Saturday why fans should start paying more attention to him. The redshirt junior had seven catches for 130 yards hauling in the pigskin every time he was targeted. Last season, Pena was primarily used as a return man with just 271 yards and a touchdown. Lookout for the New Jersey native to have an increased roll come this fall.

LeQuint Allen – Junior RB

The All-ACC running back was off to a hot start once again this weekend. Allen finished the contest with two touchdowns, rushing for 73 yards on just six carries. The performance in the spring game should be no surprise, as the running back had over 1,000 yards last season. Allen is poised to build off a quality campaign last season, and make a big impact in the Orange backfield this year.

Yasin Willis – Freshman RB

While Allen is slated to have the starting job for next season, newcomer Yasin Willis raised eyebrows on Saturday night. The Newark native was the number one recruit in all of New Jersey and slotted in at 12th for running backs in the nation. Our very own Tyler Aitken said to watch out for Willis in the game, and he was right. In his first appearance for SU, the four star had 91 yards and a rushing touchdown. Willis is the future of the Syracuse backfield, and has a great mentor to learn from in Allen this season.

Overall Analysis

McCord, Pena, Allen, and Willis must be leaders for the SU offense if the Orange want to be competitive this season. McCord must rely on Pena as a second option, and Pena has to take the attention off the Gadsden II to let the passing game flow. As for the ground game, Allen needs to replicate his 2023 while rubbing off on the young rookie to give Syracuse running back depth. Ideally, the Orange will build an elite backfield like they did a couple of years ago with Sean Tucker and Allen. The season is just around four months away, but the buzz around SU football is real, and for right reason.

Fran Brown ends Syracuse football spring camp with a declaration: "Entitlement Will Not Live Here!" (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

We’ve heard time and time again throughout the spring that no Syracuse Orange football spot was secure. During the final open session of camp on Thursday, Fran Brown echoed that sentiment once more.

While the Orange O-Linemen were going through blocking drills, Brown ended up repeating some instructions a bit too much for his liking. Then came the warnings:

“There are guys out there working harder than you!”

“There’s no slacking in football!”

“Entitlement will not live here!”

Of all the things Coach Fran has said throughout the spring, that last one has stuck the most - and not just because it blew up a bit on Twitter. It’s a simple fact of where the program is at now compared to last fall.

Brown continued to express that way of thinking in the postgame of Saturday’s Spring Game. He pointed out parts of the scrimmage that he didn’t like - such as some players signing autographs during the game - and was even candid about how the University did at setting up his first Quad Walk:

“It wasn’t the way I wanted it,” Brown said. “I talked to them about it. It was weak. They didn’t do it right. I’m happy for the fans and the people that were there, but the band was supposed to be there. The cheerleaders were supposed to come. Everybody was supposed to be there, completely deep. We told them what time we were coming. It wasn’t set up right.”

When it comes to enforcing D.A.R.T., Fran is making no exceptions. And when the Orange make that walk again on August 31 for their season opener against Ohio, everyone is expected to help it improve.

“It’ll be a lot different next time. It’ll continue to get better.”

If there was any lingering doubt about Fran’s commitment to this fanbase, that should remove it.

Real Estate Developer, Entrepreneur Oliver Fernandez ’08 to Be the ECS Convocation Keynote Speaker (syr.edu; Dunbar)

Oliver Fernandez ’08 graduated with a civil engineering degree and played for the Syracuse University football team. He now lives in Washington D.C. with his wife, Leah, and their two children. Fernandez owns McKenzie, a construction company that has successfully completed over $100 million worth of projects.
Fernandez will be the keynote speaker at the College of Engineering and Computer Science’s 2024 Convocation at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 11. The convocation will be held at the Lally Athletics Complex.
We asked Fernandez to talk about how he established his career and his advice for current students.

What initially brought you to Syracuse University?
    My mom really steered me into going to college and Syracuse University. I was a good student but I had an eye-opening experience when I went to Syracuse. I knew I was in the right environment to go to the next level but at the same time I knew I needed to step up and sharpen my skills.
    I got into a really good routine. I was focused on school. I knew that if I couldn’t hold up the school part of the deal, I would not be playing on the sports side. That experience was incredible and it taught me to take action on what I could do. Don’t compete against anyone else, just compete against what you are capable of. I started getting better day after day at both football and in my classes. It all snowballed in a good direction.
    How did you start your career after graduation?
    “I moved to Atlanta and I was working in construction but wound up moving back to Maine to take care of my mom. Some classes I took in Atlanta opened my eyes to real estate. When I moved to New York, I started looking at property in Washington, D.C. and decided to buy and renovate a building. I was 23 years old and one of our neighbors was so impressed with our work that he financed me to renovate two buildings he owned. Things just kept growing and expanding from there. Last year we did $40 million in projects.
    Have you found that your engineering background has been beneficial in running your company?
    We are working on solving problems every day. My mindset is–we need to prioritize the problems. We solve this one problem and it will knock all the other dominos down. Engineering can be very practical and the principles help guide everything we do. Engineers think about life in practical ways and it helps with business and entrepreneurship.
    What advice do you have for current students?
    I took the hardest option. I started my own business but it made me the person I am today. That’s what taking the hardest challenge does–it makes you the person you dream of being. Look at all your options and see which one can take you to where you want to be.
    Is part of the process to keep setting new goals that are more challenging?
    My initial goal was to get to $10 million in business in a year, and after two or three years we were there. I like new challenges so we are resetting the target for $100 million dollars a year. Reaching these goals shows the team that we can get there. Confidence is everything and it is another great characteristic that Syracuse University developed in me.
Syracuse Transfer Damien Alford and Utah Viewed As One Of The Top Transfer Portal Fits In CFB (SI; Borba)
The Utah Utes have been aggressive in the college football transfer portal this spring, and it has paid off in a big way.

They were able to go out and land the 6-foot-6 wide receiver transfer from Syracuse, Damien Alford. He provides another experienced target for Cam Rising to throw to, and with better quarterback play then what he had at his previous stop, he could end up being one of the breakout stars in the Big 12.

Rising now has Alford who led Syracuse in receiving last season, USC transfer Dorian Singer who was an All-Pac-12 player a couple of years ago, and one of the best tight ends in the country in Brant Kuithe. The match between Utah and Alford is one that CBS Sports deemed as one of the best in the transfer portal thus far.

CBS Sports' Will Backus highlighted his size and speed combination, which should be a nightmare for opposing defensive backs.

"Not only does Alford boast an immense catch radius with his long frame, but he's also a legitimate deep threat. His career average of 19.2 yards per catch ranks third in Syracuse's history. That size-and-speed combo should make Alford a headache for any defensive back he faces," wrote Backus.

ACC News

Judge orders FSU, ACC to mediation to settle suit (ESPN; AP)

A Tallahassee judge has ordered Florida State and the Atlantic Coast Conference to enter mediation in hopes of settling a high-profile lawsuit that could dramatically impact the future of the league.

Judge John C. Cooper technically approved the ACC's motion to dismiss Monday but gave FSU seven days to amend its complaint because the university needs more specificity regarding key facts in a case he said "is worth up to half a billion dollars." The conference would have 20 days to respond afterward, and another hearing would be set.

"The case is not over," Cooper said. "The case will continue."

Cooper ordered the sides to begin mediation within 120 days. But a mediator cannot force an agreement, so the case could end up back in court.

"I send every case to mediation except mortgage foreclosures," Cooper said. "This is not being done any differently."

The Seminoles are pushing to exit the ACC and explore a more lucrative landing spot, potentially the Big Ten Conference.

The hearing Monday was the latest in dueling lawsuits lodged in December. They include back-and-forth arguments pertaining to jurisdiction, a highly guarded grant-of-rights agreement between member schools and the league, and a confidential TV deal between the ACC and ESPN.

The ACC wants the case heard in Charlotte, North Carolina, where the league is headquartered, and doesn't want the broadcasting contract made public. Florida State wants to move the venue to Tallahassee and prefers the documents be unsealed for financial transparency.

FSU had been signaling discontent for a year about the ACC falling further behind the Big Ten and the Southeastern Conference in payouts even while raking in record revenues.

Florida State takes homecourt loss in ACC lawsuit, but case ‘not over’ (tampbay.com; $; Baker)
Don’t make too much of a Leon County judge handing Florida State University a homecourt loss Monday in the Seminoles’ ongoing litigation against the Atlantic Coast Conference.

That request was, essentially, part of the ruling the judge, John C. Cooper, made from the bench at the end of the latest hearing about the FSU’s future in the ACC.

“I want to make sure everyone understands: the case is still going on,” Cooper said. “It’s not over.”

It is, however, taking a detour for technical reasons. That’s because the judge granted the ACC’s motion to dismiss the case but will let FSU amend its complaint.

The issue is whether Room 3G of the Leon County Courthouse has the personal jurisdiction to hear FSU’s lawsuit against the Charlotte-based ACC. The conference argued FSU didn’t properly make the case. One of the ACC’s attorneys, Amber Nunnally, said Florida State’s filings were insufficient or misdirection.

“What it really comes down to … is they messed up,” Nunnally said.

The judge agreed, granting the conference’s motion. That, however, is not the end of this debate, let alone this case.

Some of the three hours of arguments centered on — we told you this was technical — the first subsection under Florida statute 48.193(1)(a). FSU’s counsel suggested the ACC can be in a Tallahassee courtroom because the league does business in Florida. Miami and FSU are both conference members, and the ACC makes TV money from games that take place in Leon County. The conference also pays FSU money for those games and production costs.

But those points were not adequately addressed or explained in the 59-page amended complaint FSU filed in January. The judge will give Florida State seven days from his order to fix the issues through an updated suit. The ACC will have 20 days to respond, and Cooper will consider the revised arguments at another hearing.

Cooper said personal jurisdiction was the second hurdle in FSU’s lawsuit. The school cleared the first earlier on Monday when Cooper agreed with the university that the dispute is ripe — real and mature enough to belong in court.

In addition to FSU’s lawsuit against the ACC in Florida (and the ACC’s lawsuit against FSU in North Carolina), the same questions about the same documents have led to dueling lawsuits between Clemson and the ACC in both Carolinas. FSU and Clemson, located in South Carolina, have asked courts to rule that they shouldn’t have to pay a $130 million fee to leave the ACC. They’re also challenging contracts that control the TV rights of their home games, potentially through 2036. That figure leaves hundreds of millions of dollars in the air.

“It’s happening now, and we want you to resolve the (issues),” FSU counsel Peter Rush said. “The sooner you do it, the sooner this matter is over.”

What, then, could get both parties to that point?

Cooper asked whether January correspondence between counsels raised the possibility of a settlement. That’s a common resolution in disputes like this, including when Maryland left the ACC for the Big Ten a decade ago.

Cooper also ordered mediation to begin within 120 days — something he does in every case except mortgage foreclosures.

Links, News, and Rumors 2024 April 23 (RX; HM)

Links, News, and Rumors 2024 April 23

First, an update on the lawsuit in Tallahassee:

The court has sided with the ACC’s technical argument that FSU has not sufficiently demonstrated in its amended complaint that the ACC falls under Florida jurisdiction—an assertion that is, frankly, obvious. Nevertheless, the Court is permitting FSU to amend its filing. This…
— David McKenzie (@mckenzielaw) April 22, 2024

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...b-henry-parrish-jr-commits-to-ole-miss-rebels (athlonsports.com; Bricker)

Henry Parrish is heading to the SEC to play for Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss. Parrish announced the news via social media on Monday.

It will be Parrish's second stint with Ole Miss, as he started his college career with the Rebels in 2020. Over his first two seasons in Oxford, Parrish accounted for 1,048 total yards and two touchdowns.

Parrish had a breakout season for the Hurricanes in 2022. He finished the season with 616 rushing yards and six total touchdowns, earning third-team All-ACC honors. He had another impressive season in 2023, rushing for 625 yards and six touchdowns for the Hurricanes.

The Former Miami running back is the second running back to transfer to Ole Miss since April 19. Former All-MWC New Mexico running back Jacory Croskey-Merritt flipped from Arizona to Ole Miss last week.

Report: FSU wide receiver enters transfer portal (tomahawknation.com; NT&T)

Florida State continues to undergo roster attrition, as wide receiver Vandrevius Jacobs will be reportedly be entering the transfer portal, according to 247Sports.

Jacobs played in a handful of games during his first and only season in Tallahassee, catching three balls for 60 yards and a touchdown. The dynamic young receiver took a redshirt and will have four years of eligibility at his next destination. Jacobs should garner plenty of interest with his high upside.

FSU added a major infusion of talent with four prep recruits and two transfers at the wide receiver position this cycle.

FSU bio from Seminoles.com

2023:
Appeared in five games…made three receptions for 60 yards and one touchdown…made collegiate debut and caught 13-yard touchdown on first collegiate reception in 66-13 win vs. Southern Miss…made 19-yard catch in 24-7 win at Pitt…made season-long 28-yard reception in 58-13 win vs. North Alabama…also saw action in 27-20 victory vs. Miami and Orange Bowl vs. No. 6 Georgia…redshirted 2023 season.
BEFORE FSU:
Four-star prospect ranked as nation’s No. 26 wide receiver and as No. 36 overall prospect in Florida by On3…rated 41st at his position and 55th in Florida on 247Sports Composite…tabbed No. 175 overall nationally by On3…named No. 1 player on ESPN West Palm’s Top 63…made 149 catches for 2,320 yards and 31 touchdowns in two seasons at Vero Beach…averaged 105.5 yards per game his senior year, catching 100 passes for 1,511 yards and 21 touchdowns…helped lead Vero Beach to regional final round of 4S state playoffs and 11-2 record…played nine games his junior season and caught 49 passes for 809 yards and 10 touchdowns as Vero Beach played into regional semifinal round of 8A state playoffs.

Florida Judge Rules FSU Must AMEND Their Complaint Against ACC, Why? P2 Elitism, Transfer Portal (youtube; podcast; Locked on ACC)

Judge Cooper in Leon County, Florida was not satisfied by the language of Florida State’s complaint against the ACC. He ruled “dismissal with leave to amend” and will give FSU seven days to amend their argument after personal jurisdiction. It’s a small victory for the ACC but the judge noted that he has not ruled against Florida State. They will have seven days to amend their complaint and then the ACC will have twenty days to respond. A new hearing in Florida will be scheduled for a later date. Hosts Alex Donno and Kenton Gibbs break down that latest update and also note that Judge Cooper requested the two sides to start mediation within the next 120 days. Could FSU and the ACC come to an agreement for Florida State’s exit without finishing the process through the courts? The guys discuss a quote from SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey, who revealed that the SEC and Big Ten absolutely would have walked away from the College Football Playoff had they not come away with favorable terms in the new TV deal with ESPN. Donno and Gibbs track the latest updates in the transfer portal. Louisville has lost four more players and Miami has lost two more. Miami has been predicted by On3 Sports to land Oregon State RB Damien Martinez.

FSU vs ACC: Legal EXPERT Shares Updates on SURPRISING Day in Court (youtube; podcast; Double Fries)

FSU and the ACC met in court again today. Doug Rohan of Rohan Law joins us with the very latest updates!

Other

Micron would bring a new era of manufacturing to Central NY – and fears of new pollution (PS; Coin)

Central New York’s long-standing legacy of manufacturing everything from auto parts to soda ash has had a dark side: environmental pollution, still being cleaned up today.

So along with the progress and economic development promised by Micron Technology come renewed fears of long-lasting pollution from a new industry.

“We’ve been abandoned by tons of corporations that took away really good jobs and left us with incredible amounts of pollution,” Tom Judson, a co-founder of the Alliance for a Green Economy, said at a public hearing recently. “We’re not going to let that happen here again.”

As Micron promises to build a semiconductor manufacturing complex in Clay and revive the region’s role as a manufacturing center, activists say they’re worried most about the semiconductor industry’s widespread use of what are known as “forever chemicals,” so named because they don’t break down in the environment or the human body.

“The release of toxic contaminants through water pathways is one of the most serious threats of semiconductor productions,” said Lenny Siegel, executive director for the Center for Public Environmental Oversight, in Silicon Valley. “There’s so many of these chemicals that have been untested, and we don’t know the quantities that are used.”

White House confirms Joe Biden will visit Syracuse on Thursday to announce Micron deal (PS; $; Weiner)
President Joe Biden will visit Syracuse on Thursday to make an announcement tied to the CHIPS and Science Act that lured Micron Technology to Central New York, the White House confirmed today.

Biden will announce a historic deal to provide Micron with $6.1 billion in federal grants for the company’s planned $100 billion complex of computer chip plants in the town of Clay and a smaller project in Idaho, according to U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer.

The White House has not confirmed that the Commerce Department has reached a preliminary agreement with Micron for the federal aid package.

A White House official declined to provide information about the time and location for the president’s visit Thursday.

The official said Biden will “discuss how the CHIPS and Science Act and his Investing in America agenda are creating jobs and opportunity in Central New York and communities across the country.”

Schumer, D-N.Y., said last week the $6.1 billion grant would be one of the largest single direct federal investments in New York history.

Biden visited Syracuse in October 2022 shortly after Micron selected Central New York as the location where the company wants to build the largest memory chip plant in U.S. history.

UY5AVLTRHNFDVHJJPMBEDRLO5U.jpg

Douglas Development has proposed redeveloping the former Syracuse Boys Club at 430 E. Genesee St. (left) and the two-story former Utica Mutual Insurance building next to it at 420 E. Genesee St. into 56 apartments. Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.comRick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com

Developer seeks tax breaks for 56-unit apartment project in downtown Syracuse (PS; $; Moriarty)

The developer of a 56-unit apartment project in downtown Syracuse has applied for tax breaks from the city.

Washington, D.C.-based Douglas Development has asked the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency for $96,204 in exemptions from the state mortgage recording tax and $720,000 in exemptions from sales taxes on construction materials.

The company has also applied for a 15-year payment-in-lieu-of-tax agreement that would provide property tax discounts. The agency has not yet estimated the value of those exemptions.

Douglas Development has applied for the exemptions through Jemal’s Fayette Park LLC, an entity it formed for the project.

The project consists of the redevelopment of the four-story former Syracuse Boys Club at 430 E. Genesee St. and the two-story former Utica Mutual Insurance building at 420 E. Genesee St.