Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
k%2FPhoto%2FRecipe%20Ramp%20Up%2F2022-01-Spumoni%2Fkitchn_deckitchn_dec4447-1
Welcome
to National Spumoni Day!

National Spumoni Day is dedicated to spumoni, the molded ice cream that originated in Naples, Italy. It usually consists of three layers of ice cream—cherry, pistachio, and chocolate—that customarily are mixed with fruit, nuts, and whipped cream. Unlike typical ice cream, spumoni is sliced instead of scooped. It was first introduced to the United States in the late 19th century, and is also popular in Argentina, another country with many Italian immigrants. Besides being eaten on this special day, it is popular as a Christmas time treat. Neapolitan ice cream is derived from spumoni, and takes its name from the city of Naples. Its flavors differ from spumoni, being made with strawberry and vanilla instead of cherry and pistachio, most likely because these were the most popular flavors in the United States when it began being made.

SU News

(youtube; podcast; Syracuse Orange)

On the latest episode of Syracuse Sports, Brent Axe and Chris Carlson have the latest SU football training camp news and notes.Brent and Chris share the latest observations from practice including how the Orange depth chart is shaping up with training camp winding down.

Chris shares some notes from a recent conversation with SU QB Kyle McCord and both discuss some recent comments from Arizona Cardinals WR Marvin Harrison Jr., who played with McCord at Ohio State, who "expects great things" at Syracuse from his former QB.

Carmelo Anthony put in a good word for Kiyan’s teammate. Now he is Fran Brown’s top-ranked recruit (PS; $; Pignatello)

Two years ago, Jaylen Pray’s gridiron experience was limited to touch football with his friends during gym class.

He wasn’t a football player; he was a basketball player – a power forward with offers from Georgia Tech and Maryland. But after an injury, the White Plains, New York native transferred from Iona Prep to Brunswick (Connecticut) last year and reclassified down a year to get “another shot” at his basketball career.

“I thought I was going to do that and play basketball, and then the football coach came in and kind of took me,” Pray said with a chuckle.

Pray is a 6-foot-7, 265 pound three-star lineman committed to Syracuse. 247Sports ranks him as the top recruit in the Orange’s 28-person Class of 2025.

He played his first season of football just last year, as both a defensive end and a run-blocking tight end. His commitment graphic lists him as a “big athlete,” and he plans to play on both sides of the ball again this year.

“I’ll come out and say it: I do prefer D-line,” Pray said. “But at the end of the day, I just want to take this as far as I can, so if that’s on the O-line then I can do that.”

Pray’s friends always tried to recruit him to the football team in middle school and in his years at Iona Prep. His basketball coach at Iona Prep also dissuaded Pray from joining the team, his mother Carla Fitts said.

Pray played in AAU circuits across the New York City area and even shared the court with Kiyan Anthony, son of Carmelo Anthony, on their middle school AAU team, the New York Gauchos. Pray said Carmelo reached out to Syracuse football coaches on his behalf during his recruitment.

“In basketball, I was always told I had to lose weight, and your physique isn’t really what they’re looking for and blah, blah, blah,” Pray said. “But then football, they want me to gain more weight, which is crazy to think.”

After one AAU tournament didn’t go as well as expected, Fitts told Pray to contact the football coach. He started playing football last fall with Brunswick and took to it right away.

“I really liked football, more than I liked basketball,” Pray said. “I like the independence of it, it’s me versus the tackle, for example. It’s on me to do what I have to do. I don’t really have to necessarily rely on anyone else.”

Pray liked the camaraderie of the football team and started seriously lifting weights for the first time. This spring, after the conclusion of his first football season, Pray started going on visits. Stack Williams, one of Syracuse’s assistant strength and conditioning coaches, was the first Syracuse coach to reach out to him with a message on Twitter.

According to Fitts, coaches couldn’t get enough of Pray’s athleticism.

“All the schools, all the coaches were going crazy over this basketball clip,” Fitts said. “And I’m saying, that’s one clip!”

https://www.collegefootballdawgs.com/post/predicting-the-outcome-of-syracuse-games-in-2024 (collegefootballdawgs.com; Cooper)

Syracuse has entered the Fran Brown era in upstate New York. The former assistant coach at Georgia and Rutgers is lauded as a recruiter and was hoping to inject the Orangemen with a dose of excitement and talent.

The Orangemen program grew stale under Dino Babers, who was fired late in the 2023 season. Syracuse still managed to reach a bowl game, before finishing 6-7.

Brown did what every other college football coach does these days: reach into the Transfer Portal and grabbed arguably one of the biggest portal prizes in former Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord. All McCord did was win 11 games for the Buckeyes last year, but a few bad reads in a loss to Michigan, and that was it for him in Buckeye Land.

The ACC is bigger now, and just one division for football in 2024. Syracuse got a break in the scheduling, not having to play either Clemson or Florida State.

Let’s break down the 'Cuse schedule and see if the Orangemen will be in the black in 2024.

Week 1: Ohio Bobcats

The Bobcats and Orangemen last played in 2021. Syracuse is 3-0 all-time against legendary football writer Peter King’s alma mater.

Brown could have picked an easier cupcake to start his Syracuse career against. Ohio went 10-3 last year and won their bowl game. Parker Navarro is slated to be the Bobcats starter, but they lost a lot to the Portal.

This is Brown’s shot at a good first impression. Syracuse won’t let him down. They will win it.

Record: 1-0

Week 2: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Babers was fired after a disappointing 31-22 loss to the Yellow Jackets in 2023. If there’s one person who maybe single-handily ended the Babers era, it was Georgia Tech QB Haynes King. He had more than 200 yards of total offense against Syracuse and accounted for 3 TDs. Can Syracuse stop him this year? The answer is probably not, so then it becomes, can they outscore him? Also probably not.

Record: 1-1

Week 3: Stanford Cardinal

These two campuses are separated by a mere 2,827 miles. That’s about as far as you can possibly get. But hey—conference realignment is good for everyone.

The Cardinal haven’t been good in years. They were 3-9 last year for coach Troy Taylor. Ashton Daniels is the quarterback with the most experience, but freshman Elijah Brown is a five-star phenom. Syracuse is better than Stanford.

Record: 2-1

Week 4: Holy Cross Crusaders

Holy Cross is used to messing up ACC teams. They had Boston College on the ropes last year before losing late. New coach Dan Curran comes in after 11 years at Merrimack.

This is no ordinary cupcake. Holy Cross has won at least a share of the Patriot League for the last five years. Syracuse should win, but this has Trap Game written all over it.

Record: 3-1

Week 5: at UNLV Rebels

Expect a big group of Syracuse fans to make this trip to Las Vegas. UNLV lost in the Mountain West Conference championship game last year, QB Jayden Maiava went to USC, so Rebels coach Barry Odom (yes, the former Wisconsin coach) brought in grad transfer Matt Sluka from Holy Cross. Didn’t Syracuse just play Holy Cross? Sluka had 91 touchdowns with Holy Cross.

This is the first meeting between Syracuse and UNLV.

Record: 4-1

Week 6: at North Carolina State Wolfpack

The Wolfpack are ranked No. 24 in the preseason Associated Press (AP) poll. They brought in Coastal Carolina QB Grayson McCall as a grad transfer. McCall threw for 10,005 yards with the Chanticleers and was the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year in 2022. This might be the toughest game on the Syracuse schedule on the road.

Record: 4-2

Week 8: at Pitt Panthers

These mid-season Thursday night games are always unpredictable. If Pitt is still in contention, it might be a big crowd supporting the Panthers. If they’re 2-6, the place could be empty.

Syracuse beat Pitt last year at Yankee Stadium. It was Baber’s last win. Pitt is counting on Nate Yarnell as starting quarterback, but Alabama back-up QB Eli Holstein is waiting in the wings.

It’s bad when they’re already saying your coach is on the hot seat, like Pat Narduzzi is. Pitt is the pits right now.

Record: 5-2

Week 9: Virginia Tech Hokies

The Hokies just received 77 votes in the preseason AP poll, so just on the outside looking in. They finished 7-6 last year, and are looking for Kyron Drones to take over at QB. Surprise, surprise, he’s a transfer. He played at Baylor last year. The defense is anchored by Sam Brumfield, a transfer linebacker from Middle Tennessee State.

Record: 5-3

Week 10: at Boston College Eagles

Babers was fired after the loss to Georgia Tech, but the Boston College game was probably the final straw. Syracuse had a bad, boring offense and threw a late interception at the end to lose to a team it had every chance to beat. Boston College went on to go 7-6 and win the Fenway Bowl over SMU.

Eagles quarterback Thomas Castellanos started in 12 games. He was the first player in program history to throw more than 2,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards in the same season.

Record: 5-4

Week 11: at Cal Golden Bears

No worries, Cal to Syracuse is only 2,673 miles away. These two schools have played twice in history, the last time in 1968. Cal went 6-7 last year and lost to Texas Tech in the Independence Bowl.

The Bears have one of the best returning running backs in the country in Jadyn Ott. He ran for 1,315 yards and 12 touchdowns. Bears QB Fernando Mendoza was third string last year, but then became the starter. The Bears also brought in transfer Chandler Rogers from North Texas to fight for the job. He threw 29 TDs last year.

Record: 6-4

Week 12: UConn Huskies

UConn had one of the worst losses of the 2023 season, blowing a 17-point lead to Utah State (not a powerhouse). Then the Huskies came back to score with 40 seconds left to tie it, and then Utah State blocked the game-tying PAT.

The Huskies offense ranked 121st in the nation last year, scoring just 19 points a game. New QB Nick Evers comes from Oklahoma and then Wisconsin.

Record: 7-4

Week 13: Miami Hurricanes

It’s the last game of the regular season for Syracuse. The Orangemen haven’t beaten Miami since 1998. Hardcore 'Cuse fans remember that one. It was 66-13 Syracuse. Quarterback Donovan McNabb had 5 touchdowns. Miami is No. 19 in the preseason AP Poll and went 7-6 last year. They did have that horrible loss last year against Georgia Tech when all they needed to do was take a knee. "The U" brought in Cam Ward to play quarterback. He had 48 touchdowns his last two years at Washington State.

Record: 7-5

Syracuse Overview

A bowl game and a winning record would be a good start for Brown at Syracuse. Expect them to get off to a good start, but struggle against some of the better teams in the new ACC. The bulk of the ACC teams figure to swing around 7-5 and 5-7. Syracuse is in that same boat. It’s up to Brown to continue to lure talent to Syracuse.

Saturday Road Crystal Ball: Predicting every Syracuse football game for 2024 - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Friedlander)

Brown is the new Orange.

At least it is at Syracuse, where a charismatic young coach with a surname that evokes memories of a glorious past swept into town and immediately created a buzz with his energetic vision for the future of a program in desperate need of a facelift.

It didn’t take long after being hired to replace Dino Babers last December for Fran Brown to win over Syracuse’s fans.

And they’re not the only ones who quickly bought in.

Within a month of his arrival, the former Georgia assistant showed why he’s ranked as college football’s top recruiter by bringing in 3 players with him from the Bulldogs, landing a franchise quarterback from Ohio State, convincing several of the Orange’s top returning players to stay and signing the school’s highest-rated freshman class since the current rating format came into existence.

It’s an early success Brown has built by selling himself rather than a program that has averaged only 5 wins per season over the past quarter-century located in a region that averages more than 100 inches of snow per year.

“I just want to win,” he said. “Like, I want to win. I want to make sure that Syracuse gets back to where it belongs. Where it was. Where football kind of started, in my opinion. Back to Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, all those guys that played. It’s like a nonstop race for us to make sure we actually continue to go and try to accomplish greatness. To give these young men an opportunity to show the country who they are football-wise.”

At the same time, Brown isn’t into quick fixes.

While he has assembled a roster that has a legitimate shot at exceeding the low bar voters in the ACC’s preseason poll has set for his first team – especially with a schedule that avoids Florida State and Clemson – his goal at Syracuse is building a program with staying power.

“A program has some substance behind it,” he called it.

Like most great recruiters, Brown talks a good game. The difference is that when he looks you in the eye and tells you who he is, what he’s about and how he plans to get the best out of you, it’s hard not to get caught up in his excitement.

He’s already won the press conference and the transfer portal.

Now it’s time to win games.

Transfer tracker

A coach is only as good as his players. And there weren’t enough of them on Syracuse’s to keep the last coach around. So Job 1 for Brown and his new staff was collecting as much talent as they could get their hands on as quickly as possible.

But not just any talent.

Before Brown would consider adding a player off the portal, he had to meet 1 of 2 very specific criteria.
“If you only have 1 year, you’ve got to be a difference-maker,” he said. “Otherwise you’ve got to have at least 2 years because you won’t fit into our culture.”

Between those 1-year rentals and foundational cornerstones, the new Orange coach succeeded in putting together a 19-man transfer class. Many of its members might never have previously considered playing for Syracuse.

The highest-profile and most important member of the group is quarterback Kyle McCord, who won 11 straight games at Ohio State last season before losing to eventual national champion Michigan and losing his starting job. The receiving corps has been upgraded with the addition of fellow transfers Jackson Meeks and Zeed Haynes – 2 of the 3 former Georgia players that followed Brown to upstate New York. The 3rd former Bulldog, Joshua Miller, will beef up the line protecting McCord up front.

Brown brought in reinforcements on defense as well thanks to the arrival of edge rusher Fadil Diggs from Texas A&M, former 4-star tackle Isaiah Hastings from Alabama and the return of cornerback Duce Chestnut, who transferred back to Syracuse after spending a year at LSU.

What will Syracuse’s new offense look like?

One thing is certain about the offense being put together by new coordinator Jeff Nixon, formerly the running backs coach of the New York Giants. It will bear absolutely no resemblance to the patchwork crew that played a tight end at quarterback, mustered only 159 yards and got shut out by USF in the Boca Raton Bowl last December.

Well, maybe a little resemblance.

Leading rusher LeQuint Allen, who ran for 1,064 yards and 9 touchdowns while also catching 36 passes out of the backfield, is back. And this year, he won’t be his team’s only viable offensive weapon. Allen is joined in the backfield by dynamic freshman Yasin Willis, who showcased his potential by reeling off 6 runs of 10 yards or more in Syracuse’s spring game.

Georgia transfer Hayes also had an impressive spring debut that included a 38-yard touchdown catch. Along with former Bulldog teammate Meeks, Colorado State’s Justus Ross-Simmons and All-ACC tight end Oronde Gadsden II, who returns after missing all but 2 games last season because of injury last season, there are plenty of available options in the passing game.

That brings us to the trigger man.

McCord is a former 5-star recruit who never lived up to the standard of his predecessor, 1st-round NFL Draft pick CJ Stroud, in the eyes of Buckeyes fans. While there are some questions about his lack of mobility and consistency, he still threw for 3,170 yards, 24 touchdowns with only 6 interceptions. He’s the centerpiece of what promises to be a balanced Orange offense.

“I think we’ll be dynamic at every single position – offensive line, tight end, receiver,” McCord said. “We have a lot of great weapons. I’m excited to get going.”

What will Syracuse’s new defense look like?

Brown’s first order of business upon arriving at Syracuse was to hire Elijah Robinson to run his defense. Robinson was the co-defensive coordinator at Texas A&M and served as the Aggies’ interim coach after Jimbo Fisher was fired.

Brown and Robinson have more than just coaching football in common. They’re former high school classmates from Camden, NJ, and worked together for a time at Temple and Baylor. They are simpatico in their defensive philosophies and have put together an aggressive 4-2-5 scheme custom-built to showcase the bulk of the Orange’s returning talent.

The centerpiece of the defense is All-ACC linebacker and leading tackler Marlowe Wax, who briefly considered entering the NFL Draft before returning to Syracuse. The secondary is also solid with the return of safety Justin Barron, one of several players to withdraw from the transfer portal after meeting the new staff, and Alijah Clark to go along with transfer corners Chestnut and Buffalo’s Devin Grant.

The biggest questions are up front, where the Orange lost all 3 starters from Babers’ old 3-3-5 alignment. But Robinson is a defensive line coach by trade. And in addition to his leadership and experience, he brought another Camden native along with him from College Station to help solidify the position group.

Diggs is an athletic 6-5, 260-pound edge rusher who served 2 seasons as a captain for the Aggies. He was 2nd on the team with 4 sacks and 11 TFLs last season. The inside of the defensive line has been solidified by the addition of 6-5, 296-pound tackle Dion Wilson, who has played 3 seasons at Arizona and New Mexico State.

Game-by-game predictions

Week 1: vs. Ohio (W)

The Bobcats ranked 6th nationally in scoring defense, allowing only 15.8 points per game last season. But this new-and-improved Syracuse offense isn’t like anything they’ll see in the MAC. The Fran Brown era is off to a winning start.

Week 2: vs. Georgia Tech (L)

Yellow Jackets might be jet-lagged from the long trip home from Ireland. But Haynes King has more weapons and more chemistry with his receivers than McCord and his new crew.

Week 3: Open

Week 4: vs. Stanford (W)

Stanford’s defense has a knack for making average running backs look like All-Americans. There’s no telling how big a number a back like Allen, who actually has a shot at being an All-American, will put up against the Cardinal.

Week 5: vs. Holy Cross (W)

As long as the Orange learn a lesson from Boston College, which needed a defensive stand in the final 2 minutes to avoid an upset at the hands of the Crusaders last year, this should be a comfortable win.

Week 6: at UNLV (W)

The Orange will have their work cut out for them against an up-tempo UNLV attack that averaged 34 points per game on the way to 9 wins in 2023. This is a matchup that will test the old football adage of “defense travels.” Just in case, Brown might also want to bring his offense on the trip to Sin City.

Week 7: at NC State (L)

The Wolfpack have added considerable offensive firepower to a defense that is annually among the ACC’s best. And they’re at home, where Dave Doeren’s team is 23-4 over the past 4 seasons.

Week 8: Open

Week 9: at Pitt (W)

Both teams are looking to rebound from disappointing seasons. And both might need this win to have a shot at bowl eligibility. Give the edge to Brown and his new staff, who did a much better job addressing their team’s needs through the transfer portal than Pat Narduzzi and his staff.

Week 10: vs. Virginia Tech (L)

The improving Orange will make this interesting. But the already-established Hokies have too many offensive weapons and too many ways to beat you.

Week 11: at Boston College (L)

This might sound strange considering that the climate in upstate New York is similar to that of the Boston area. But the Orange will be at a disadvantage playing outdoors in a cold weather environment in early November.

Week 12: at Cal (L)

For the 2nd straight week, Syracuse falls victim to an opponent’s home-field advantage. This time it’s the cross-country trip and the running of Jaydn Ott that does the Orange in,

Week 13: vs. UConn (W)

A win against a former Big East rival secures bowl eligibility in Brown’s debut season.

Week 14: vs. Miami (L)

The Orange could be in a position to play spoiler to the Hurricanes ACC Championship Game hopes. That could turn out to be a game-changer. Even then, Syracuse will need a few breaks to have a shot at beating a Miami team with a clear advantage in talent on both sides of the ball.

2024 projection: 6-6 (2-6)

#CuseFootball

Brown has created considerable buzz among the Orange faithful with his forceful, direct personality and some impressive transfer pickups. Clearly, though, the rest of the ACC has yet to catch on and feel the same kind of excitement. Syracuse was picked to finish 12th in the preseason poll.

That’s probably about right based on last year. But the team Brown has assembled in the short time he’s been on the job is much more talented, experienced and deep.

Especially on offense.

The Orange has also been blessed with a manageable schedule that includes 4 winnable nonconference games and an ACC slate that avoids perennial league favorites Florida State or Clemson. Among the teams they do play are both California newcomers, along with potential bottom-feeders Boston College and Pitt.

It’s a recipe for a much higher-than-predicted finish. Possibly even in the top half of the conference standings.

Syracuse Football: Why the Orange will finish 6-6 in 2024 (TNIAAM; Haller)

Monday August 19: 5-7 Kevin

Tuesday August 20: 6-6 Steve

Wednesday August 21: 7-5 Max

Thursday August 22: 8-4 Dom

Friday August 23: 9-3 Carson

Saturday August 24th: 10-2 Mike

Sunday August 25th: CFP Bound- a special guest

**********************************************************************************************

Let’s jump right in...

Ohio Bobcats- Win (1-0, 0-0)

The Orange prove they’re at least back in the saddle at the level they were last season, easily taking care of the Bobcats. We get to see Kyle McCord in action spreading the wealth to a number of wideouts and run the score above any questions.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - Loss (1-1, 0-1)

Similar to yesterday, the Ramblin’ Wreck prove their rebuild is slightly ahead of the Syracuse version and edge the Orange in the Dome. While the feeling isn’t great, it’s close and this one just seems like it got away, not that it was a mistake.

Stanford Cardinal- Win (2-1, 1-1)

The cross country travel doesn’t do the Cardinal any favors and the Orange comfortably walk away from the Dome with the ‘W.’ Justin Lamson gets his homecoming during the last drive, airing it out again in Syracuse, but to no avail as Stanford loses the somehow-conference matchup.

Holy Cross Crusaders- Win (3-1, 1-1)

It’s the FCS game. This isn’t that squad that ‘lost’ to Villanova when Christian was a freshman...

UNLV Rebels- Loss (3-2, 1-1)

The short week/long trip to Vegas is too much to overcome and this team coughs up a few too many turnovers on the road to make it out of this one with a win. Best and worst case, anyone who made the road trip is still in Vegas.

NC State Wolfpack- Loss (3-3, 1-2)

Flying back doesn’t seem to help the Orange either, as they head to Carter-Finley. They’re still in the game late, thanks to LeQuint Allen’s legs, but it isn’t enough as a late NC State field goal, set up by a Greyson McCall to Noah Rogers transfer-bomb, gives the home team the victory. The Orange are left at the halfway point of the season wondering what direction this will go.

Pittsburgh Panthers- Win (4-3, 2-2)

The Ketchup Curse is broken and Syracuse finally exorcises some demons on the road in Pittsburgh. Pat Narduzzi continues to Narduzzi and the Orange avoid three straight losses on the road, while beating the historic streak in the process.

Virginia Tech Hokies- Loss (4-4, 2-3)

Kyron Drones shows why he emerged as a solid option at QB for the Hokies, with the dual-threat giving the Orange enough trouble that they can’t bring this one home in the Dome. Syracuse has to look forward to rivalry week and the trip to Chestnut Hill in order to try to salvage this season.

Boston College Eagles- Win (5-4, 3-3)

Leaving Chestnut Hill with a win, in another effective home game, while pushing within one of bowl eligibility has the fan base feeling better about where they’re at. Castellanos’ legs aren’t with his at this point in the year and Bill O’Brien hasn’t been able to work miracles with his arm, so the BC offense sputters while Wax and McDonald are able to mark him all day.

California Golden Bears- Loss (5-5, 3-4)

What better way to kill momentum than cross country flights? The trip to Berkley is long and none of the team has made that trek yet. Why would it benefit Syracuse? It won’t. They make it interesting, but fade down the stretch to the Bears, needing to make sure they take care of business for bowl eligibility.

UConn Huskies- Win (6-5, 3-4)

Bowl Bound! The Storrs contingent travels well to CNY but is sent packing as the offense gels in this late season matchup against an overmatched Huskies squad. Back to back to back bowls feels nice and the general consensus around campus is that there’s promise building before they close the season.

The Juice Online - Wide Receivers — 2024 Syracuse Football preview (r1vals.com; Stechschulte)

The Syracuse wide receiver room looks vastly different from last season. Three of the top four wide receivers from a production perspective have all departed the program. And the group may be better based on the players who are replacing them.

Umari Hatcher is the top returning receiver after finishing third on the team with 32 receptions and second with 482 yards. As a redshirt sophomore, Hatcher started 11 times last season, but was a bit of a hit-or-miss contributor and faces a lot of competition for that spot this season due to the sheer number of transfers who joined the program.

Darrell Gill Jr. is the second returning receiver on the roster after catching seven passes and appearing in all 13 games of his freshman season. Four of those receptions came against Western Michigan. Gill also was mixed in as a kick returner in the second half of the season and averaged 21.8 yards per chance in the final six games of the season. He had one of the most notable highlights of the spring game, making a great adjustment for a catch while going to the ground and set up the first score of the night.

Trebor Pena had most of his season wiped out by injury last year and returns with two seasons of eligibility remaining. The injury was significant, as Pena was flowering during his 2022 campaign, snagging 22 passes and averaging over 27 yards per kickoff return that season. While he averaged only 9.2 yards per catch that year, Pena also has shown big play ability at SU, posting a 62-yard touchdown catch against Clemson in 2021 and catching four passes, all for gains of at least 23 yards, in April’s spring game.

The most accomplished transfer among the unit, Justus Ross-Simmons, returns close to his Rochester home after spending two seasons playing at Colorado State. Those were productive seasons, to be sure, as Ross-Simmons played in every game of those two campaigns for the Rams. Ross-Simmons had 71 catches for 1,148 yards and six scores in that time, including 45 grabs for 724 yards and three scores last season. At 6’3” and 212 pounds, Ross-Simmons will provide size on the outside.

Zeed Haynes was a very minor contributor at Georgia last season, catching just one pass in four games as a freshman last year before transferring to the Orange. That has clearly changed at his new home. The offensive Most Valuable Player of the spring camp, Haynes blew past that level of on-field production in the first quarter of the spring game. A four-star recruit coming out of high school, the redshirt freshman from Philadelphia caught six-of-eight targets in the first half of that exhibition, including a touchdown.

Another former Bulldog wide receiver who transferred north is Jackson Meeks. Meeks saw action in 36 games at Georgia, catching ten passes in that time while also seeing some time on special teams. Unfortunately, Meeks missed much of spring camp due to a hairline fracture in his foot that required surgery to repair the injury, but has been a full participant at fall camp.

The 2024 Orange recruiting class also added a handful of wide receivers, most notably Emanuel Ross, a four-star player who was ranked as one of the top high school players in New Jersey. Marked as a priority by Fran Brown after he was hired, Ross was originally verbally committed to Stanford, but changed his commitment to Syracuse in December.

LEADING RETURNING RECEIVERS: LeQuint Allen – 38 receptions for 210 yards and one touchdown; Umari Hatcher – 32 receptions for 382 yards and three touchdowns.

Keeping Up With The 315 8-20-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins provides his defensive line positional preview, recaps episode two of ACC All-Access, and discusses what he thinks the ceiling is for SU Football this upcoming season.

30 Minutes in Orange Nation (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia discuss the difficulty level of Syracuse Football’s 2024 opponents, as well as what they see the floor and the ceiling being.

Two Syracuse names WE AREN'T talking about enough | Syracuse Football Podcast podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football has some sleepers on its roster, some of which might be starters for Fran Brown's squad come opening day against Ohio. One player is on offense and that's Colorado State transfer wide receiver Justus Ross-Simmons. Another is Notre Dame transfer cornerback Clarence Lewis. Plus, Marcus Washington unfortunately went down with a torn bicep.

Jackson Holzer goes over a couple of sleepers on Cuse Football on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Is Michael Johnson Jr. the FRONT RUNNER for the Backup QB Job for Syracuse Football? podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Michael Johnson Jr. is a redshirt senior entering his sixth year of college. The FAU transfer has only attempted one career collegiate pass, but is turning heads at fall camp. Fran Brown may have found Syracuse Football's backup quarterback behind Kyle McCord. However, Johnson Jr. must still beat out Carlos Del Rio-Wilson and Jakhari Williams.

Jackson Holzer is pleasantly surprised that Johnson Jr. is in the race for Cuse Football.

Justus Ross-Simmons is a MAJOR SLEEPER for Syracuse Football | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Colorado State transfer Justus Ross-Simmons could play a vital role for Syracuse Football and that's being Head Coach Fran Brown's Wide Receiver two. The former All-MAC Conference wide-out improved his numbers in 2023 compared to 2022 and was recruited by the Florida Gators, Alabama Crimson Tide, Penn State Nittany Lions, and Florida State Seminoles.

Jackson Holzer tells you why Justus Ross-Simmons is a sleeper for Syracuse Football.

Syracuse football 2024 opponent preview: Miami Hurricanes (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

It’s been a long, long road to get to this point, but with just Troy Nunes days remaining until the 2024 season kicks off, we have reached the 12th and final part of our Syracuse Orange football opponent preview series. If you have any catching up to do, here are the links to previews for Ohio, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Holy Cross, UNLV, NC State, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Cal, and UConn.

The final foe to appear on SU’s regular season calendar is an ACC opponent they have yet to host - and not because they are one of the three new conference members. They're a squad in the AP preseason Top-25 with a built-up roster capable of staying there all year... but we’ve heard that story many times before. Is this the year prophecy becomes reality? Or will there bet yet another stall alongside their eternal on-campus stadium proposals?

Miami Hurricanes
School:
University of Miami

Nickname: Hurricanes

Mascot: Sebastian the Ibis

#BRAND Slogans: #ItsAllAboutTheU, #GoCanes

Alternate #BRAND Slogan Suggestions: #ThrowUpTheU, #RYLAH (Rock You Like a Hurricane) or #CristoBall

Recommended Blog: State of the U

Conference: ACC

History vs. Syracuse: Despite being in the same conference for the past 11 years, the ‘Canes and Orange have met just once during that period - not at all like their 11 straight annual meetings in the Big East. Miami has a commanding 15-7 lead in the series, which includes an ongoing five-game winning streak. The last SU victory was Donovan McNabb’s Dome farewell in 1998. Appropriately, it was one of his best college games: a five-touchdown performance that was just part of an overwhelming 66-point Orange onslaught. That was the only Syracuse win inside their current home, with the other two in the series occurring at Orchard Park in 1979 and Archbold Stadium in 1970.

Coach: Mario Cristobal, third season. A two-time national champion as a Miami offensive lineman, Cristobal returned to the ‘Canes after four plus seasons leading Oregon. Three of his Ducks teams made it to the Pac-12 Championship, and two were victorious, with the 2019 squad finishing No. 5 in the country at 12-2. His first head coaching job was across Vice City at FIU, where the Panthers made it to two bowl games in six years (2007-12). So far with the U, Cristobal has gotten the team to one bowl game but is still searching for much higher glory. He was nearly the team’s associate head coach a decade earlier, before Nick Saban lured him to Alabama for the same position. Mario held that job for four years, appearing in two more national championships and being part of one winner.

The General's Command: J'Onre Reed's leadership on the Syracuse O-Line (247sports.com; Racine)

Known as "The General," 6-foot-3, 316-pound senior Center J'Onre Reed has embraced the brotherhood being formed within this new Syracuse team after transferring from Hutchinson Community College in 2022 and being a dominant force at center for the Orange last season. Reed is looking to reach new heights this season, but he knows he can not do it alone.

"I'm so used to being independent that I forget I need to get closer to the people beside me doing the same thing as me," said Reed.

Reed said he struggled with being a leader for this team last year, and when Head Coach Fran Brown arrived, he knew he had to step up.

"Coach Fran has preached to me, if I claim to be a general, I have to lead and be a leader, but I don't talk, so he told me to lead with my actions and let the words follow," said Reed.

During camp, Reed has been making sure he goes out of his way to be vocal to the offensive lineman. Transfer Redshirt Junior Da'metrius Weatherspoon has felt that impact and looks up to Reed who is stepping into a leadership role.

"He's really the heart of the O-line, man. He always brings the energy all the time, no matter what—highs and lows. You look at Reed, he'll smile at you, and you just know you're about to go to war," said Weatherspoon.

Reed's teammates are not the only ones witnessing the growth. Associate Offensive Head Coach Nunzio Campanile is impressed with his aggressiveness at center.

"The center is so critical to everything you do, not just in the physical part, but in getting everyone directed in the run game and passing game," said Campanile.

He sees Reed's efforts to make this line even better this season.

"He has done a great job at studying film and understanding the checks he has to make to help this line move as one," said Campanile.

Reed has taken in so much feedback and has been determined to put it into action. He knows he has a big task ahead of him this season in protecting Quarterback Kyle McCord, but with guys like Senior Josh Ilaoa, Redshirt Sophomore Joe Cruz, and Da'Metrius Weatherspoon, he knows that the running backs and wide receivers will only be as strong as they are. Being able to maintain the line of scrimmage and make line calls comes with building trust with his line.

"I had to find ways to connect with all of these guys outside of the facility," said Reed.

Hanging out with them outside of practice is what he enjoys the most.

"We start creating little inside jokes, and you really start learning more about the person you're lining up beside and why they play the way they do," said Reed.

This offense connecting off the field could translate to being the game changer on it.

"It's no longer, they're just my teammates, they're my brothers, and next thing you know, we're a fist, and we move as one big punch on that line," said Reed.

Kyle McCord brings winning mindset to Syracuse football (247sports.com; Wainscott)

As Syracuse Orange football wraps up the dog days of summer camp, the anticipation is building. With only 12 days until their season-opening clash against Ohio in the Dome, the focus is shifting to how this team will unify and execute across the board.

This season, it is up to Kyle McCord to steer the team toward a winning culture. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound, four-star transfer from Ohio State is playing his final year of eligibility and brings with him not just talent, but also the expectation of elevating Syracuse football to new heights. McCord, who was recently named to the Unitas Golden Arm Award preseason watch list, is one of 13 ACC quarterbacks to earn this distinction. It's the fourth preseason awards watch list that has included McCord, a collection that also includes the Maxwell Award, Walter Camp Award, and Davey O'Brien Award. His accolades from last season in the Big Ten speak volumes: third-team all-conference, 3,200 yards, 24 touchdowns, six interceptions, and an impressive nearly 66% completion rate. These stats place him firmly among the top 10 quarterbacks in the country, setting high expectations for him to secure an All-ACC honor.

Looking back on his time at Ohio State, McCord discussed how the intense focus on winning shaped his approach to the game.

"I think you really start to, like, you get a sense of it, you know, when you're the backup, watching what CJ went through. Like his second game against Oregon, he passed for like, 400 yards. We ended up losing by a touchdown, and it was like the end of the world there. And so, I kind of realized it right away that no matter what you do, winning is priority number one. And that's something I've brought with me here—knowing that the only thing that matters is the product you put on the field," McCord said.

https://www.localsyr.com/orange-nation/syracuse-defenses-size-and-depth-will-bring-success/ (localsyr.com; Mustion)

One thing SU football needed to improve upon from last season was the defense. In order to do that, Fran Brown and Elijah Robinson have brought in the size and strength the defensive line needs. On top of that, the defense is deep this year allowing numerous players to have key roles this season.

Could this be Syracuse’s year for College Gameday? (orangefizz.net; Burstein)

One of the biggest fall weekly traditions is ESPN’s College GameDay. A preview show of the biggest games of the week, GameDay travels to a different campus that’s hosting a major game that day.

The show has been around since 1993, leaving a lot of chances for schools to host. And most power conference teams have. In fact, only six haven’t – and of them is Syracuse.

So is this the year the Orange finally breaks that streak? southboundanddown.com thinks so, predicting Virginia Tech’s week ten clash with Syracuse at the Dome to host. Here are the top three games that could lure College GameDay to the 315 this fall.

3. September 7 vs. Georgia Tech

This one’s a bit of a stretch (Michigan vs. Texas is this week), but anything can happen. Both programs are on the rise and that’s led to competitive recent matches. Syracuse should be 1-0 after week one against Ohio. What would really help is if Georgia Tech upsets Florida State in week zero. If the Yellow Jackets are 2-0 entering this game, this could be a marquee matchup.

2. November 30 vs. Miami

There’s still over three months until this regular season finale the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so a ton could change between then and now. But on a somewhat weak schedule for Syracuse in 2024, Miami (preseason #19) is the Orange’s strongest opponent. With an expanded College Football playoff, Miami could very much be in play for a spot come late November. And maybe the Orange have a surprise run in them. This is a big rivalry week, which hurts this game’s chances, but two contending teams would have a good case to host.

1. November 2 vs. Virginia Tech

Like mentioned before, SU’s early November clash with the Hokies is the best chance for Syracuse to host this year. Syracuse will have had a clash already with a top-25 NC State team, and an upset in that game could bring the Orange into this game with under two losses. Likewise, Virginia Tech has only one preseason top-25 matchup before this game – a clash with Miami. A surprise result in that game could have the Hokies at a similar record. These are two sleeper teams in the ACC. By November, they’ll have had time to wake up the country and that could court the eyes of network executives.

Ranking Cameron Ward and Quarterbacks Syracuse Plays in 2024 (itlh; Adler)

While Syracuse football may have, on paper, a relatively manageable schedule in 2024, the Orange are still set to face some talented quarterbacks throughout the course of the upcoming season.

Let's look at who Syracuse football head coach Fran Brown and defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson have to plan for this fall and rank them. This includes some talented signal-callers in the non-conference schedule for the Orange, and in Atlantic Coast Conference play.

Ranking the quarterbacks who Syracuse football will face in the 2024 season.

#12 Joe Pesansky, Holy Cross
Holy Cross is going under a change after Bob Chesney (once a Syracuse coaching target) departed for James Madison. Matthew Sluka, his Walter Payton Award (FCS Heisman) finalist quarterback from the past few seasons, also left and is set to receive an FBS starting job. This leaves Joe Pesansky to take the reigns for the Crusaders. Pesansky will be a senior and made two starts and seven appearances in 2023, going 32 for 55 with five touchdowns, two interceptions, and 499 yards.

#11 Parker Navarro, Ohio
Fifth-year senior Parker Navarro is set to start for the Bobcats after a reserve role in the previous years, the first two coming at UCF. Navarro started off as the third-string a season ago, but he's a running threat and will improve with an offseason of starting reps. His only start was in the Myrtle Beach Bowl a season ago, giving the Bobcats an efficient outing as a dual threat. Navarro ran for 71 yards, passing for 120 yards on 68.8% completion with a touchdown. He could pose troubles with his legs in week one as Syracuse adjusts to their new 4-2-5 defense.

#10 Nick Evers, UConn
UConn has been middling on the football field in recent years and the problems start at the quarterback position. Quarterbacks have regularly thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. Coach Jim Mora is looking to change that with a transfer, adding Nick Evers from Wisconsin. He was originally recruited by Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma as a four-star prospect and has only thrown one pass in two years. We've seen OU transfers have success at other schools (Tanner Mordecai, Spencer Rattler), but I'm not sure if that will translate to Evers. I'll give him a slight edge over Navarro due to his much higher ceiling.

#9 Nate Yarnell?, Pittsburgh
The battle for Pitt's starting QB is still up in the air between Nate Yarnell and Alabama transfer Eli Holstein, but Yarnell is the current favorite to start week one. However, whether he has the job by the time Syracuse plays Pitt in week nine is another question. Yarnell is entering his fourth year with the Pitt program and has three starts to his name. Two came at the conclusion of the 2023 season, throwing for a total of 472 yards, three touchdowns, and an interception while completing 67.1% of his passes and rushing for a score.

#8 Matthew Sluka, UNLV
The man who started over Joe Pesansky at Holy Cross is a very talented quarterback. I'd have him just as high even if he didn't transfer. Matthew Sluka is coming off four years where he was named a Walter Payton Award (FCS Heisman) finalist with over 30 starts to his name and solid performances versus FBS competition. In his career, Sluka has 5,916 yards and 59 passing touchdowns (fifth in Holy Cross history) with 3,583 rushing yards and 38 rushing touchdowns (second in Holy Cross history). Watch out for him.

#7 Ashton Daniels, Stanford
After starting 10 games for a rebuilding Stanford team a year ago, Ashton Daniels is set to win the job again. The junior showed flashes last season, with 435 total yards and four touchdowns against Colorado and 448 yards with three touchdowns against Pac-12 champions Washington. Stanford coach Troy Taylor has a great offensive mind and should elevate Daniels further if some more pieces get put in place. Additionally, look out for former Syracuse football QB Justin Lamson. He transferred to Stanford prior to 2023 and led the Cardinal in carries, rushing yards, and rushing touchdowns.

#6 Thomas Castellanos, Boston College
Another dual-threat on the Syracuse schedule is Thomas Castellanos. He's the first of three projected starters that the Orange have already played and plays an infuriating style of ball if you're a defensive coordinator. Thomas Castellanos runs all around the field, he had 1,113 yards last year and 13 touchdowns while also passing for 2,323 yards and 15 touchdowns, albeit with 14 interceptions and completing 57.2% of his passes. Castellanos' season included a come-from-behind win in the Dome where he threw for 165 yards, ran for 87 more, and scored two touchdowns, one being the dagger with just 2:23 to play.

#5 Chandler Rogers, California
Sixth-year Cal QB Chandler Rogers is at his fifth school and should be good once more. The former North Texas, Louisiana-Monroe, Blinn College (JuCo), and Southern Miss quarterback put up fantastic numbers a season ago, throwing for 3,382 yards and 29 touchdowns while running for 180 yards and four more scores. His North Texas Coach, Eric Morris, is from the Mike Leach coaching tree and his offense should share some similarities with that of first-year Cal OC Mike Bloesch, although they won't throw nearly as much with Jaydn Ott in the same backfield as Rogers or run as many plays. Rogers is a sleeper on a sleeper team in 2024.

#4 Kyron Drones, Virginia Tech
Kyron Drones is a problem at quarterback. You could make an argument for him being ranked third or second and I can understand it. After starting slow, Drones really picked his game up as Virginia Tech improved and made a big turnaround. This included a win a 38-10 win over Syracuse in 2023 where Drones was in control and didn't have to do much, only throwing for 194 yards, a touchdown, and rushing for 56 more yards. In total, he passed for 2,085 yards, 17 touchdowns, and three interceptions with 818 rushing yards and five touchdowns. I'm confident those numbers will rise even more.

#3 Haynes King, Georgia Tech
The former four-star prospect has some inconsistency issues but is one of the best when he's on his A-game. Last season, Haynes King threw for 2,842 yards and 27 touchdowns, adding 737 yards and 10 rushing touchdowns. But also 16 interceptions. King had masterclasses like 377 total yards and four touchdowns while completing 76.7% of his passes, and duds such as 129 yards, four interceptions, and 41.9% against Clemson. Against Syracuse, King had modest passing numbers, completing 16 of 20 passes for 138 yards, two touchdowns, an interception, and rushing for 82 yards and a touchdown. Let's hope we get the bad Haynes King against Syracuse football this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

https://www.wboy.com/goldandbluenation/the-rivalry-series-wvu-footballs-history-against-syracuse/ (wboy.com; Lowe)

Across 131 seasons on the gridiron, the West Virginia University football team has developed several rivalries that have helped forge the identity of Mountaineer football. Over the next several weeks, we’ll break down some of the biggest series in West Virginia football history.

The Rivalry Series continues with WVU’s most played series outside of the Backyard Brawl. The Mountaineers have faced Syracuse 61 times on the gridiron; and over the decades, the two programs stood as two pillars of Eastern football.

Click on the video above to watch the history of West Virginia’s rivalry with Syracuse. A series breakdown can be found here.

Football: UW vs Syracuse, 09/11/10 (youtube; video; UW Video)

Football: UW vs Syracuse, 09/11/10

Marvin Harrison Jr. on if Syracuse football was ever among his top 5 schools: ‘Not a chance’ (PS; $; Carlson)

Marvin Harrison Jr., the son of the all-time Syracuse great wide receiver, stunned former SU linebacker Zaire Franklin when he declared there was “not a chance” that he would have considered Syracuse football as his college program.

Harrison Jr. was a guest on Zaire Franklin’s “In the Trenches” podcast and, as part of some good-natured banter, he was asked if Syracuse was ever among his Top 5 schools.

“Not a chance,” Harrison Jr. said.

Franklin reacted with amused shock.

“That’s crazy,” Franklin said. “That’s crazy.”

Harrison Jr., ranked the No. 160 recruit in the Class of 2021, later provided some detail on why he didn’t consider Syracuse a viable option for him out of high school.

“When’s the last time Syracuse had a receiver come out?” Harrison Jr. asked.

Syracuse hasn’t had a wide receiver selected in the NFL Draft since Mike Williams was picked in the fourth round in 2010. The last Syracuse receiver picked in the first round was Marvin Harrison Sr. in 1996. Kevin Johnson was selected in the second round in 1999.

Syracuse hasn’t had an offensive skill position player drafted since Ryan Nassib in 2013. The last offensive skill player selected in the first round was Donovan McNabb in 1999.

That reality has hampered Syracuse since it entered the ACC and is a pattern that Syracuse head coach Fran Brown will be eager to snap quickly.

Harrison was the No. 4 pick in last year’s NFL Draft. It was the third consecutive season that Ohio State had a receiver taken in the first round.

Franklin said he couldn’t argue that Harrison Jr. made a poor choice in attending Ohio State, but he did provide a defense of the Orange program, pointing out that both Amba Etta-Tawo and Steve Ishmael were All-Americans at wide receiver during his time with the Orange.

Franklin also used the moment to express optimism that Syracuse fans will be able to celebrate an Orange lineage in the near future, referencing Carmelo Anthony and his son, Kiyan, who is currently being recruited by the men’s basketball program.

“I’m not going to let you do that,” Franklin declared, laughing. “Oronde Gadsden II is coming out this year. We’ve had All-Americans when I was there. I get the scheme was different. Look, you’re here, so I’m not going to say your path was wrong. Just know I was rooting for you from afar. Same way, Kiyan we got our eye on you.”

While Harrison Jr. may have turned up his nose at Syracuse football, Orange fans can take some solace in his defense of the program’s new quarterback.

Former Syracuse football captain signs with Tennessee Titans (PS; $; Leiker)

A former Syracuse football captain has found a new NFL home.

Mikel Jones signed with the Tennessee Titans on Tuesday, the team announced.

Jones originally joined the league as an undrafted free agent for the Los Angeles Chargers immediately after the 2023 NFL Draft.

He was waived in August 2023. In October, he spent three weeks on the Dallas Cowboys’ practice roster.

The Titans placed linebacker Garret Wallow on injured reserve, allowing for Jones’ signing.

Jones was briefly rostered with the DC Defenders during the United Football League season.

At Syracuse, Jones was a two-time captain for Syracuse. He had a career 301 tackles, 9.6 sacks, four interceptions and four fumble recoveries.

Jones was a three-time All-ACC linebacker. He was a semifinalist for the Butkus Award his senior year.

"TRUST & FOLLOW #Jesus" - Garrett discussing his purpose beyond #football (youtube; podcast; Trust & Follow #Jesus)

With the #Syracuse football season just around the corner, we take a look back to our Faith Feature interview last summer before last season began with SU's starting quarterback Garrett Shrader. On top of giving it his all on the field, he talks about giving it his all in his faith. Here, he shares with Teddy what his ultimate purpose is beyond just the football field and offers advice to those who are looking for purpose in their life.Garrett was a team captain for the Syracuse University football team the last two seasons he played, being added to the Davey O'Brien Award & the Maxwell Award watchlists. He finished his 3-year career at SU with 70 TDs (39 passing, 31 rushing). He also got baptized at his local church here in Syracuse last year.

#14 Syracuse vs USF | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E12 (youtube; simulation; Playbook Gamer)

Exceptional realistic simulation, even though all the players are fictitious

#14 Syracuse vs USF | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E12

https://www.localsyr.com/video/cba-2024-football-preview/9969515/ (localsyr.comi; video)

Coming off their second state championship in three years, Christian Brothers Academy knows they have a target on their back, but that makes them just work harder.

ACC News

Dan Mullen unveils his 2024 ACC preseason rankings, champion (on3.com; Connolly)

The ACC is wide open heading into the 2024 college football season. Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Louisville and several others have ACC Championship aspirations.

ESPN analyst Dan Mullen recently released his ACC rankings and predicted champion, just a few days before the season begins with Florida State facing Georgia Tech in Dublin.

Mullen ranked 16 of the 17 teams, accidentally leaving out Cal, and also picked who will play for and win the ACC title game. Here’s a look at Mullen’s preseason ACC rankings:

1. Clemson
The Tigers have taken a step back in recent years and finished 4-4 in the ACC last season. With that said, Mullen is high on the Tigers this year. Clemson opens the season with Georgia, which is obviously a tough game, but Mullen believes Dabo Swinney’s squad will be just fine once ACC play begins.

2. Florida State
The Seminoles lost plenty of talent off of last year’s team, but Mullen still expects them to be near the top of the ACC again. Just how good Florida State is will likely depend on how well DJ Uiagalelei plays at quarterback and if receivers step up around him.

3. NC State
Mullen is high on Dave Doeren’s squad heading into the 2024 season. NC State added Coastal Carolina quarterback Grayson McCaell out of the transfer portal, and if he can stay healthy, the Wolfpack have a chance to end the season in Charlotte.

4. Miami
The Hurricanes have their most talented roster yet under head coach Mario Cristobal, who has recruited well out of the high school ranks and transfer portal the past couple of years. Still, Mullen has the Hurricanes fourth in the ACC. If Cam Ward is as good as expected, Miami may very well finish higher than Mullen’s projection.

5. Louisville
Jeff Brohm took the Cardinals to the ACC Championship game in Year 1 as the head coach. Louisville lost a lot of talent from last year, but Brohm loaded up in the transfer portal to replenish the roster. If everything comes together, the Cardinals could return to the ACC Championship game.

6. SMU
Mullen expects big things from SMU in its first season in the ACC. The Mustangs have some talent, particularly at the skill positions. If the lines of scrimmage can hold up, SMU could finish near the top of the ACC.

7. North Carolina
Mack Brown
is heading into his sixth season back at North Carolina. The Tar Heels have won at least eight games in three of the past four years, but that will be a tall task without star quarterback Drake Maye, who is off to the NFL. UNC does still have some playmakers, including running back Omarion Hampton, who rushed for more than 1,400 yards last year.

8. Virginia Tech
Mullen’s final team in the top half of the ACC is Virginia Tech. There are some who see the Hokies as a potential ACC title game participant, but Mullen isn’t as high on VT, despite a ton of talent returning, including star quarterback Kyron Drones.

9. Pittsburgh
Pat Narduzzi
had his worst season ever at Pitt in 2023 as the Panthers struggled to a 3-9 record, after they had previously had four consecutive winning seasons. Mullen believes Pitt will be back near the middle of the ACC this fall.

10. Syracuse
There is a lot of excitement around the Syracuse program this fall with new head coach Fran Brown. The Orange added former Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord from the transfer portal this offseason and if he can play well, Syracuse could surprise some people.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10132420-acc-football-preview-and-predictions-for-2024-season (BR; Kenyon)
  1. After the inglorious snub of Florida State last season, the ACC enters the 2024 campaign with confidence that it will be represented in the expanded College Football Playoff.
    But which program will it be?
    Clemson and Florida State open the year as front-runners, while Miami and North Carolina State also landed AP Top 25 rankings in the preseason poll. Louisville, Virginia Tech and SMU commanded some votes, too. In short: It should be a solid season for the ACC.
    As a product of realignment, Pac-12 castoffs Cal and Stanford are joining SMU as debutants in the 17-team league. Cross-country travel is now a reality for several teams on the, you know, Atlantic Coast.
    This preview, like our Big Ten forecast, includes top players, big storylines, key games and other topics to know.

Best Players

1 of 9

Florida State landed Oregon State departure DJ Uiagalelei—who previously started at Clemson—and Miami added Cam Ward from Washington State. Cade Klubnik didn't perform at a star level for Clemson last season, but that trifecta figures to have a big impact on the ACC race. SMU's Preston Stone is a very productive QB, as well.

North Carolina's Omarion Hampton is a high-end running back, along with Cal's Jadyn Ott and Miami's Damien Martinez.

NC State enjoyed a breakout freshman season from wide receiver Kevin Concepcion, while Miami returns 1,000-yard wideout Xavier Restrepo. Stanford brings a high-upside target in Elic Ayomanor.

Florida State's Patrick Payton, Louisville's Ashton Gillette and Miami's Reuben Bain Jr. are well-respected edge-rushers nationally. North Carolina's Kaimon Rucker deserves a mention here, and Clemson has a couple of rising stars in defensive linemen Peter Woods and T.J. Parker.

Clemson linebacker Barrett Carter and Virginia Tech cornerback Dorian Strong are two of several more excellent defenders in the ACC.

Top Storylines

2 of 9
The Atlantic Pacific Coast Conference

During a three-week stretch, Stanford is set to play conference games in New York, South Carolina and California. Typical stuff, really. The duration of a flight won't determine results, but travel and fatigue are undeniable factors in performance. Instead of a long plane ride staying within Boston College to Miami, ACC teams will be adding SMU, Cal or Stanford to the docket for the first time in 2024.

Clemson or FSU Again?

Clemson has dominated the conference lately, winning seven ACC championships in the last 10 years. Florida State, which had been the league power before Clemson's rise put together an unbeaten regular season and earned an ACC title in 2023. That duo opens the campaign as co-favorites, even as Clemson is aiming to rebound from a disappointing year. Since the ACC abandoned divisions last year, it could be a Clemson vs. FSU clash for the crown.

Believe in Anyone Else?

Louisville made a surprise ascent in 2023, finishing as the ACC runner-up following a 10-win regular season. Might we see a similar rise from North Carolina State or Virginia Tech this year? Is this finally the time Miami escapes some close games to legitimately contend for an ACC title? Clemson and FSU look solid, but they're not lightyears ahead of the rest.

Top Challengers

3 of 9

Tier 1: Clemson and Florida State

As mentioned in the previous section, these two programs have reigned over the ACC most recently. Pitt won a title in 2021, but every conference championship otherwise since 2011 has belonged to Clemson or FSU. Entering the season, they are the behemoths.

Tier 2: Miami and Friends

Miami has earned very little benefit of the doubt. Nevertheless, it's a tradition to look at the 'Canes because of a talented roster. Miami is the ACC's highest-ranked team after Clemson and FSU, so national expectations are again moderately high. If you expand the AP Top 25 to the "others receiving votes" category, though, all of NC State (24th), Louisville (26th), Virginia Tech (27th) and SMU (29th) are within shouting distance of the Hurricanes (19th).

Tier 3: The "Surprise!" Section

Hey, didn't expect Louisville last season. It can happen! We're basically looking at Georgia Tech, North Carolina or Syracuse for a comparable kind of ascent in 2024.

Coaches on the Hot Seat

4 of 9

There are no scalding seats around the ACC, but a few coaches are certainly under some pressure in 2024.

Justin Wilcox is likely in the most uncomfortable spot, beginning his eighth year at Cal with a 36-43 record. The program ended a three-season bowl drought in 2023 but still finished 6-7. Missing the postseason may be very problematic for his job security.

Another long-tenured coach, Pat Narduzzi is entering a full decade at Pitt. The optimism that followed 2021's championship surge and 2022's nine-win record have diminished after a frustrating 3-9 season, though.

Tony Elliott inherited a semi-build at Virginia in 2022, but a couple of three-win seasons and 6-16 overall record is an issue.

The wild card is Miami's Mario Cristobal. His ability to recruit and land top transfers is highly impressive, but those off-field victories don't matter as much if Miami can't parlay that talent into on-field wins.

2024 ACC Football Season Kicks Off in Ireland - Week 0 (theacc.com)

Week 0 - ACC Football Schedule

Saturday, Aug. 24, Noon ET
No. 10 Florida State vs. Georgia Tech
Series:
Florida State leads series, 15-11-1
Last meeting: Florida State, 41-16 (2022)
ESPN: Joe Tessitore (play-by-play), Jesse Palmer (analyst), Katie George (sideline)
Sirius XM Radio: Sirius XM 82 / Sirius XM 108 or 193
Sirius XM App: Sirius XM 82 / Sirius XM 84 / Sirius XM 955

Saturday, Aug. 24, 8 p.m. ET
(RV) SMU at Nevada
Series:
Tied at 3-3
Last meeting: SMU, 45-10 (2009)
CBS Sports Network: Rich Waltz (play-by-play), Robert Turbin (analyst), Amanda Guerra (sideline)
Sirius XM Radio: Sirius XM 84
Sirius XM App: Sirius XM 84 / Sirius XM 976

ACC NOTES
ACC to Kick Off 2024 College Football Season

• Florida State and Georgia Tech will kick off the 2024 college football season at the Aer Lingus College Football Classic on Saturday, Aug. 24, at noon ET in Dublin, Ireland.
  • New member SMU will also be one of eight teams playing on Week 0, as the Mustangs will take on Nevada on Aug. 24 at 8 p.m. ET in Reno, Nevada.
Greatness Just Got Greater
  • The ACC Board of Directors voted on Sept. 1, 2023, to formally admit the University of California (Cal), Southern Methodist University (SMU) and Stanford University to the Atlantic Coast Conference. Cal, SMU and Stanford joined the ACC as full members with full voting participation effective July 1, 2024 (SMU) and August 2, 2024 (Cal and Stanford). The decision followed the submission of letters of application from all three institutions.
ESPN College Gameday Headed to Ireland
  • ESPN announced on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023, that ESPN’s College GameDay Built by The Home Depot will broadcast live for the first time from Dublin, Ireland, for the Week 0 Aer Lingus College Football Classic featuring ACC rivals Florida State and Georgia Tech on Saturday, Aug. 24, to kick off the 2024 season.
  • This will mark the first time that ESPN’s College GameDay Built by The Home Depot will be outside the United States.

Four Teams Ranked in Preseason AP TOP 25 Poll
  • Four ACC teams earned spots in the top 25 of the Preseason Associated Press poll, which was announced on Monday, August 12. Florida State came in at No. 10, ahead of Clemson at No. 14 and Miami at No. 19, while NC State was ranked No. 24 in the preseason poll.
  • Three other ACC teams received votes in Louisville (111), Virginia Tech (77) and SMU (33).

Four Teams Ranked in Preseason Coaches Poll
  • Four ACC teams were ranked in the top 25 of the Preseason US LBM Coaches Poll (Aug. 5), powered by USA TODAY Sports. Florida State came in at No. 10, ahead of Clemson at No. 14 and Miami at No. 19, while NC State was ranked No. 22 in the preseason poll.
  • Five other ACC teams received votes in Louisville (95), Virginia Tech (64), SMU (47), North Carolina (6) and Syracuse (1).

Jackets Set to Open 2024 Season Against Defending ACC Champs (ramblinwreck.com)

GEORGIA TECH FOOTBALL vs. NO. 10 FLORIDA STATE

Aer Lingus College Football Classic · Saturday, Aug. 24 · 5 p.m. IT/Noon ET · Dublin, Ireland · Aviva Stadium
TV:
ESPN | Watch Online
Also Live from Dublin: ESPN College Gameday (9 a.m. ET – ESPN) | ACC Huddle (11 a.m. – ACC Network)
Radio: Georgia Tech Sports Network | Where to Listen (In Atlanta: 680 AM/93.7 FM The Fan | SiriusXM 984 (app only); SiriusXM 119 or 204 (UVA broadcast)| Listen Online | Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets App | TuneIn
Information: Game Notes/Depth Charts | Multimedia | 2024 GT Football Info Guide

• Georgia Tech football opens its highly anticipated 2024 season with a mammoth Atlantic Coast Conference matchup versus defending ACC champion and No. 10-ranked Florida State on Saturday in the Aer Lingus College Football Classic at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland.
• Georgia Tech returns 16 starters from last year’s team, which went 7-6 overall, 5-3 in ACC play (good for a tie for fourth place in the 14-team conference standings), earned its first bowl berth since 2018 and its first bowl victory since 2016 with a season-ending 30-17 triumph over UCF in the Gasparilla Bowl.
• The Yellow Jackets’ 16 returning starters include eight on offense, led by r-Jr. QB Haynes King. A year ago, King put together a historic first season as a Jacket, joining Heisman Trophy winner and eventual No. 2 NFL Draft pick Jayden Daniels as the only Power Five conference players with at least 2,800 passing yards, 25 touchdown passes, 700 rushing yards and touchdown runs in 2023.
• r-Jr. RB Jamal Haynes also returns for Tech after becoming Georgia Tech’s first 1,000-yard rusher since 2018 with 1,059 yards on the ground last season.
• Georgia Tech also returns four of five starters from an offensive line that helped the Jackets lead the ACC and rank among the top 15 nationally in both rushing offense (203.8 ypg – 12th nationally) and fewest sacks allowed (1.15 pg – 15th nationally).
• Defensively, Tech has a new coordinator in Tyler Santucci. In 2023, Santucci was the defensive coordinator at Duke, which led the ACC in scoring defense (19.0 ppg) and ranked among the nation’s top 50 in eight statistical categories, including scoring defense, rushing defense, passing defense, total defense, tackles for loss, third-down defense, fourth-down defense and red-zone defense.
• Georgia Tech is opening its season in the Aer Lingus College Football Classic at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland for the second time in the last nine seasons.
• Saturday’s game marks only the second time in Georgia Tech’s 132-season history that it will play a game on foreign soil.

2024 ACC Football Season Previews | Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets with Kelly Quinlan of JacketsOnline! (youtube; podcast; Basketball Conference)

Long time guest of the show Kelly Quinlan ‪@thevelcrofly‬ of JacketsOnline.com rejoins us to preview the 2024 Yellow Jackets!

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Aug 21 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Aug 21

We'll start with some upset alerts...

From NCAA: 12 potential FCS-over-FBS upsets in the 2024 college football season

Week 0

• Montana State over New Mexico
Week 1

• Lafayette over Buffalo
  • North Dakota State over Colorado
  • South Dakota State over Oklahoma State
  • UC Davis over California
UC Davis has a talented roster. Miles Hastings is a top-20 quarterback in the FCS, running back Lan Larison is the preseason Big Sky Player of the Year, defensive lineman Zach Kennedy can set the edge and Rex Connors has an argument as the best defensive back in the FCS. That talent alone gives them a fighting shot against an FBS opponent, but against Cal, they could win. The key to stopping Cal will be shutting down All-American level running back Jaydn Ott, but UC Davis has only allowed one 100-yard rusher in its last 15 games dating back to 2022.

• Southern Illinois over BYU

Week 2

• South Dakota over Wisconsin
  • Chattanooga over Georgia State

Week 3

• Morgan State over Ohio

Week 5

• UT Martin over Kennesaw State

ACC FB Notes 2024 Aug 20 (RX; HM)ACC FB Notes 2024 Aug 20

ACC NOTES

ACC to Kick Off 2024 College Football Season

• Florida State and Georgia Tech will kick off the 2024 college football season at the Aer Lingus College Football Classic on Saturday, Aug. 24, at noon ET in Dublin, Ireland.
  • New member SMU will also be one of eight teams playing on Week 0, as the Mustangs will take on Nevada on Aug. 24 at 8 p.m. ET in Reno, Nevada.

ESPN College Gameday Headed to Ireland

• ESPN announced on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023, that ESPN’s College GameDay Built by The Home Depot will broadcast live for the first time from Dublin, Ireland, for the Week 0 Aer Lingus College Football Classic featuring ACC rivals Florida State and Georgia Tech on Saturday, Aug. 24, to kick off the 2024 season.
  • This will mark the first time that ESPN’s College GameDay... will be outside the United States.

Four Teams Ranked in Preseason AP TOP 25 Poll

• Four ACC teams earned spots in the top 25 of the Preseason Associated Press poll, which was announced on Monday, August 12. Florida State came in at No. 10, ahead of Clemson at No. 14 and Miami at No. 19, while NC State was ranked No. 24 in the preseason poll.
  • Three other ACC teams received votes in Louisville (111), Virginia Tech (77) and SMU (33).

Four Teams Ranked in Preseason Coaches Poll

• Four ACC teams were ranked in the top 25 of the Preseason US LBM Coaches Poll (Aug. 5), powered by USA TODAY Sports. Florida State came in at No. 10, ahead of Clemson at No. 14 and Miami at No. 19, while NC State was ranked No. 22 in the preseason poll.
  • Five other ACC teams received votes in Louisville (95), Virginia Tech (64), SMU (47), North Carolina (6) and Syracuse (1).

2024 Preview: Virginia Tech and Miami (RX; HM)

2024 Preview: Virginia Tech and Miami

This is the first of a series of 2024 football season previews for the 18 schools that make up the ACC.

Did you know...

Hokies' QB Kyrone Drones and Canes' QB Cam Ward are cousins? From ESPN's "Why expectations are on the rise for Virginia Tech football":

Drones, Sanders and Ward worked out together in Miami during spring break in March, but Drones said that's nothing new, as he's been working out with Ward, his cousin, and Sanders since high school.

It's not overstating things to say that both of these teams will rely heavily on their QB to get them out of trouble at times this season.

Virginia Tech Preview - from Athlon Sports:

the defense finished the year ranked in the top 20 nationally for the first time since 2017. The Hokies are especially strong in pass coverage, with Dorian Strong and Mansoor Delane forming arguably the best cornerback tandem in the ACC. Tech ranked fourth nationally in passing yards allowed (168.8 ypg). That went hand-in-hand with a revitalized pass rush that returns plenty of production after ranking second in the ACC with 39 sacks, led by edge rusher Antwaun Powell-Ryland (9.5 sacks).

Other

K2KKFV4LWNHLXEVDXT2V62K3CU.jpg

One of 100 Nigerian dwarf goats from the Steinmetz Family Farm in Pennsylvania. You can spend as much time as you'd like with them for $10 in the Horticulture Building.at the New York State Fair. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Day 1 at the NYS Fair: Today’s handpicked menu and schedule (PS; Miller)

2024 is now the Year of the Goat. At least it is at the New York State Fair.
Welcome back, everyone, for what’s sure to be another exciting 13 days of music, food (and drink) and fun. And don’t forget the agriculture.
One of the newest attractions inside the Horticulture Building will certainly be among the most-visited in all of the fairgrounds this year. For $10, you can cuddle with any of the 100 Nigerian dwarf goats for as long as you want. The Steinmetz family puts no time limit on your goat visitation.
Local media got a sneak peek at these itty-bitty billies Tuesday morning. What was supposed to be a drive-by photo-opp turned into an afternoon highlight. These tiny fellas walk right up to you, they sniff you, they kiss you. They put a smile on your face ... and a little bit of saliva.
OK, moving on: The gates open for this year’s Fair at 9 a.m. By now, a dozen or so people already are likely lined up to be among the first visitors. Last year, we had a crowd before 7 a.m. because folks wanted front-row seats to see Chubby Checker perform. He’s the 1 p.m. Chevy Court act again this year. Of course they’ll first stop in the Dairy Building to check out this year’s butter sculpture that was unveiled on Tuesday.
For the 10th year, syracuse.com has “assigned” 30 reporters and photographers to report on the gooiest desserts to the best foods you never knew existed and everything in between. You can find our report from Operation Funnel Cake ‘24 throughout the day on syracuse.com.

Speaking of food, each morning I will offer you a menu of food and drinks that I’ve stumbled upon during my stay at the Fair. So let’s get eatin’!...
BRWGHSOLS5FK5IKHOVPHY2UY24.jpg
An architectural rendering shows what Syracuse's future public safety building would look like after renovations to a former factory on West Fayette Street.Provided

Developer for new Syracuse police, fire headquarters secures $4.5M tax break (PS; Boyer)

A project to create the future home for the Syracuse police and fire departments took two big steps forward this week.
The Syracuse Industrial Development Agency on Tuesday morning approved $4.5 million in tax exemptions for a private developer’s $33 million project to convert a vacant six-story factory on the city’s west side into a new public safety building.
The IDA’s action came about 12 hours after the Syracuse City Planning Commission approved the site plan for the project at 1153 W. Fayette St.
Both boards approved their resolutions unanimously.

Known as the Lipe-Rollway Building, the factory was erected in the 1920s to manufacture automotive and railway parts. It’s been mostly dormant for decades, but emerged as the city’s choice to relocate police and fire from the deteriorating 511 S. State St. public safety building downtown.

A private development team that includes Joe Gehm, of the Lahinch Group, and Timothy Lynn, of Morrisroe Lynn Development, would renovate the historic building and lease it back to the city over 19 years. They hope to begin construction work by October, with a targeted completion date of early 2026.

The Syracuse Common Council first authorized the lease in late December. After city officials and developers further refined plans, the council approved revised terms in July that would have the city paying $52.1 million in rent over the 19-year period. City officials have said the cost of renovating the current public safety building, which would require finding a temporary location for the departments while construction takes place, is in line with the lease payments.

Because the West Side site is and would remain privately owned, it would be subject to property taxes. The financial assistance package through the IDA reduces that bill by an estimated $3.1 million over a 15-year period. In addition, developers will benefit from $1.2 million in sales tax exemptions for construction materials and a $187,000 mortgage recording tax break. The owner would make payments-in-lieu of taxes over the same time period totaling $3.2 million.

The current public safety building is jointly owned by the city and Onondaga County. Although Syracuse owns a 61% stake, it pays the county for the cost of maintaining it. This year, that bill is nearly $1.7 million.

Fire and police department leaders spoke at Tuesday’s IDA meeting about cramped space, lack of technology and health and safety hazards in the current building. The city and county have been in discussions about its future, with city officials interested in selling. Matt Oja, Syracuse’s assessment commissioner, has said the downtown site could be attractive to private developers.

Proposal for a new Tully’s drive-thru is dead in an Onondaga County town (PS; Doran)

The Clay Town Board voted ‘no’ to a proposed Tully’s Tenders - a fast-food version of the popular Tully’s Good Times restaurants.

The Tully’s Tenders would have been located at 3567 Route 31, at a busy intersection.

It would have been housed in what used to be Workouts Health Club. That’s between a car wash and the Maurer Funeral Home, just west of the intersection with Oswego Road (Route 57).

The sticking point was the location, said Mark Territo, Clay’s commissioner of planning. A concern of the planning and town boards centered on how people would safely turn left out of the restaurant onto Route 31, which is already congested, he said.

There is no traffic light there, he said.

There is another fast-food Tully’s in operation at 192 W. Bridge St. in Oswego. That one opened in 2022.

Tully’s Tenders is owned by the Giamartino family, who operate about 20 business locations in Upstate New York and Pennsylvania. The company headquarters is in East Syracuse.

NOUSTH3MRBFHNBGECM2GC26DZU.jpg

Spicy Honey Pepperoni Pizza. A.W. Wander in Manlius, our 33rd stop on the CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

CNY Pizza Tour, stop #33: A craft beer bar in Manlius with pizza that’s literally fire (PS; Miller)

Sometimes it’s nice to actually eat a pizza in an actual restaurant rather than have it delivered. You know, relax at a table with a beer and enjoy a conversation while your pizza’s in the oven.

That’s what you do here at A.W. Wander in Manlius. This bar on the village’s main drag has a cozy dining room with a flat-screen that plays random movies without sound and a bar next to a giant wood-burning pizza oven.

Ironwood Pizza had operated here for eight years before closing in April 2020 during the Covid pandemic shutdown. At the time, Joe Ori and Dan Chapman owned All Who Wander, a tiny craft beer bar in the plaza behind the Swan Pond. They bought this building and moved in, keeping the stove and expanding the beer offerings.

“This place was a pizza place with beer. Now it’s a beer place with pizza,” said Derek Allen, the general manager.

You now can pair 90 beers with any of the 10 creative pizzas or appetizers made with local ingredients.

OK, let’s throw a pizza on the fire to go with this big mug o’ beer ...

Address: 145 E Seneca St, Manlius. (315) 692-2026. They don’t take orders over the phone, but you can order online here.

Do they deliver: Yes, via DoorDash. But why would you want to? Seriously, this bar/restaurant has a pleasant vibe with dozens of beers from around the world.

What I ate: A Spicy Honey Pepperoni pizza. (Full disclosure: I bought three pizzas, but this is the one I’m actually reviewing.)

Why this pizza? The owners and staff unanimously agreed that I should try this. It’s the most popular pizza sold here, and it features local ingredients and everything that’s good about this place. Works for me.

RATINGS (out of 5)

Crust: 5/5
. Making pizza dough for A.W. Wander is Patty Guynup’s retirement job. She comes in a few times each week to whip up a new batch.

Patty will only use Caputo flour from Naples, Italy. It’s slowly ground to preserve the European winter wheat’s aroma and flavor. It has no chemicals or bleach. Many Neapolitan pizza makers are loyal to this powder-like flour that produces an airy, crispy crust.

The dough here ferments for three days before Don’dre Huddleston, the cook who creates all the pizzas, presses and twirls the balls into 12-inch circles.

When it comes out of the oven, the crust is about ⅛-inch thick in the center and mostly ¾-inch around the rim. A bubble here or there might reach a hollow inch.

Toppings: 5/5. The ingredients are simple, but they somehow come together to make what tastes like an elaborate pizza. The kitchen staff grinds sweet Alta Cucina tomatoes from Italy and tosses in a few herbs to make the red sauce.

Don’dre scatters a couple handfuls of Grande mozzarella cheese and about 37 slices of cup pepperoni.

Nick Bartholomew, the pizza baker who’s also in charge of maintaining the expansive beer menu here, scoops the pizza from Don’dre’s counter onto a long-poled paddle and slides it into the oven. He had just added a third log to the fire to push the temperature back up to 800 degrees.

From Pray article…

This spring, after the conclusion of his first football season, Pray started going on visits. Stack Williams, one of Syracuse’s assistant strength and conditioning coaches, was the first Syracuse coach to reach out to him with a message on Twitter.

Is this compliant to rules and regulations? I thought only recruitable coaches could do this sort of thing.

From Pray article…

This spring, after the conclusion of his first football season, Pray started going on visits. Stack Williams, one of Syracuse’s assistant strength and conditioning coaches, was the first Syracuse coach to reach out to him with a message on Twitter.

Is this compliant to rules and regulations? I thought only recruitable coaches could do this sort of thing.
We have a lot of the staff reach out to recruits on social media. I believe the limitations are on how many people on staff can travel and visit with recruits.