Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
sicilian-pepperoni-pizza-pizza.gif

Welcome to National Pepperoni Pizza Day!

Multiple surveys have shown pepperoni to be the favorite pizza topping of Americans, and over a third of the pizzas in the country are topped with it. So it comes as no surprise that there is a National Pepperoni Pizza Day.

Pepperoni takes its name from "peperoni"—with one "p"—an Italian name for a pepper. In Italy, what Americans call pepperoni is known as "salame piccante"—spicy salami. Pepperoni is a dried sausage made of a mixture of pork, beef, and spices, often including peppers. The name pepperoni began being used following World War I, primarily in Italian-American communities. At this time, pepperoni was primarily used as an appetizer, eaten on cured meat plates.

SU News

INAUGURAL BATTLE: Previewing Syracuse football’s 1st-ever matchup vs. Stanford (DO; Andrews)

Syracuse and Stanford have both been prominent universities since the late 1800s. In that time, SU saw some of the most legendary athletes of all time across a multitude of sports pass through its corridors, like Jim Brown, Pearl Washington and the Gait brothers. The Cardinal have also developed a renowned institution of athletic excellence, as Stanford students or alumni have medaled in every Olympic games since 1908.

Yet, the two schools, located on opposite sides of the United States, have never battled on the gridiron. That changes Friday night.

The Orange host the Cardinal on primetime in their third game of the 2024 season, which comes after an idle week. Before the bye, SU quickly found a rhythm in its first two games under head coach Fran Brown. Syracuse defeated Ohio, then upset then-No. 23 Georgia Tech as quarterback Kyle McCord led the nation with eight passing touchdowns through the first two weeks.

Meanwhile, Stanford enters Friday following an idle week as well. But the Cardinal stumbled at home in Week 1, with a narrow loss to TCU, before bludgeoning Cal Poly of the Big Sky Conference in their next contest.

Here’s what to know before Syracuse (2-0, 1-0 ACC) takes on Stanford (1-1, 0-0 ACC) in the JMA Wireless Dome:

All-time series

This is the two teams’ first-ever meeting.

The Cardinal report

Following former head coach David Shaw’s 12-year tenure, Stanford is now in its second season of the Troy Taylor era. The Cardinal struggled significantly in their first campaign under Taylor. Stanford went just 3-9, falling to a measly 2-7 in Pac-12 competition.

Friday will be the first-ever ACC game for the Cardinal. The university was admitted in the conference’s three-school expansion on Sept. 1, 2023, along with California-Berkeley and SMU. On paper, Stanford may be in for a rude awakening against Syracuse.

The Cardinal faltered in a variety of avenues in their 34-27 Week 1 loss at home to TCU. The Horned Frogs’ offense outgained Stanford by 171 yards, mostly due to an 188-yard passing yards discrepancy. Stanford quarterback Ashton Daniels completed under 50% of his 35 pass attempts while the Cardinal rushing offense generated just 3.3 yards per carry.

Stanford did recover two fumbles against TCU, but only one resulted in a touchdown on the other end. It garnered just one sack as well, allowing Horned Frogs’ quarterback Josh Hoover to sit back in a clean pocket and run a successful pass-heavy offense. The Cardinal stayed close overall, but lacked enough explosive offense to match TCU.

In its next game, Stanford dominated Cal Poly 41-7 and racked up 437 total yards of offense. Though, versus a lowly Football Championship Subdivision opponent, any positives taken from that matchup won’t be as easy to replicate against a team like SU.

Beat writers unanimously pick Syracuse to defeat Stanford (DO; Staff)

Through Syracuse’s first two games under first-year head coach Fran Brown, the Orange are 2-0. SU drove through a Mid-American Conference opponent in Ohio, winning by 16. In its Atlantic Coast Conference opener versus then-No. 23 Georgia Tech, Syracuse earned its first ranked win under Brown, never trailing in the contest.

The Orange have established their identity as a team full of offensive firepower in the first two contests. Quarterback Kyle McCord has eight touchdowns while wide receiver Trebor Peña has five. From Week 1 to Week 2, SU also saw improvements in its rushing defense — even with the loss of linebacker Marlowe Wax.

After its first bye week of the season, Syracuse takes on Stanford for the first-ever matchup between the two schools. The Cardinal joined the ACC in 2024 and are 1-1 to begin the campaign.

Here’s how our beat writers think Syracuse (2-0, 1-0 ACC) will fare against Stanford (1-1, 0-0 ACC):

Aiden Stepansky (2-0)
Welcome to the ACC
Syracuse 41, Stanford 24

Syracuse’s matchup versus Stanford officially breaks in the new age of the ACC. The matchup will be the first in-conference game for any of the three expansion teams: Cal, SMU and Stanford. In the Cardinal’s first contest in the conference, SU will give them a warm welcome.

The Orange offense through the season’s first two games has proven they are elite in passing. Led by McCord, Peña and Oronde Gadsden II, Syracuse will score the ball with ease. Stanford has allowed 278.5 yards per game in the air thus far, while the Orange average 367.5. Additionally, Stanford accumulated a coverage grade of 58.1 last game and SU put up a passing grade of 89.

I also see improved special teams for the Orange on Friday. SU’s unit had multiple mistakes against Georgia Tech that could’ve cost it the game if in a closer matchup with a better opponent. But Brown and his staff showed from game one to game two that improvements aren’t a recommendation, but a requirement.

Syracuse will get out to a quick lead, similar to its matchup against GT, and gradually pull ahead throughout the game. The Cardinal could break through at times with the electric play of Elic Ayomanor on the outside, but it won’t nearly be enough. This time, SU won’t falter down the stretch and will keep Stanford far out of reach until the final buzzer, winning by 17 to remain at the top of the conference.

‘OFFENSIVE SCIENTIST’: Jeff Nixon is using 14 years of NFL experience to transform SU’s offense (DO; Stepansky)

At the peak of his professional career, former National Football League running back Lamar Miller turned to Jeff Nixon’s advice.

Miller was selected in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins and blossomed into a 1000-yard rusher in year three under the tutelage of Nixon, his running backs coach. Miller remembers Nixon preaching decisiveness, going with his gut and quickly shooting a gap.

When his four-year rookie contract expired, Miller signed with Houston. As he became a Pro Bowl running back with the Texans, Nixon’s guidance never left his mind.

“I used to sometimes be too patient on certain plays,” Miller said. “When I went back and watched the film, I remember Nixon being in the back of my head saying, ‘Be decisive. When you make your decision, just go with it.’”

Miller’s not alone in his experience. Over Nixon’s 27-year career, he’s helped star running backs like Brian Westbrook, LeSean McCoy, Reggie Bush, Christian McCaffrey and Saquon Barkley flourish at the highest level.

Mixed with his NFL experience came a three-year stint at Baylor, calling plays for a Bears team that won 11 games in 2019. After spending 2023 with the New York Giants, Nixon is back in the NCAA, serving as Syracuse’s offensive coordinator in its first year under head coach Fran Brown.

“You gotta be able to spread the ball around. And he’s been in the NFL, he understands what it’s like to be able to give the ball to everyone and go in and out of different formations,” Brown said of Nixon.

So far, Nixon has constructed one of the top offenses in the nation, led by quarterback Kyle McCord. Nixon set out his vision for the offense in the spring, hoping to make the unit as balanced as possible.

Through SU’s first two games, Nixon’s done just that. Though, the passing game has stood out the most. The Orange have totaled 735 yards through the air in their first two contests, along with eight touchdowns.

It’s a more complicated offense than Syracuse has run in the past. Wide receiver Zeed Haynes said there are more motions and shifts than he’s ever seen before. McCord described the installation process as learning “a million different plays and formations.” But the new look brings concept twists that constantly keep teams off balance. All with an added flare and malleability of personnel, as quarterbacks coach Nunzio Campanile sees it.

For star veteran tight end Oronde Gadsden II, Nixon’s advancements bring a breath of fresh air to a team that struggled to stretch the field under its past coaching regime.

“You see Nixon out there, he was dicing them up,” Gadsden said after SU’s win over then-No. 23 Georgia Tech.

CANADA'S CATCH: Stanford receiver Elic Ayomanor looks to be Canada’s next NFL star (DO; Girshon)

ll it took was three plays for Justin Dillon to know Elic Ayomanor would be Canada’s next great wide receiver.

For Dillon’s vision to come true, he knew Ayomanor — a Medicine Hat, Alberta, native — needed to enroll in a prep school in the United States as quickly as possible. Dillon had seen hockey players move to Canada to develop in its system.

He recognized the best football players similarly needed to move to the U.S., prompting him to create 730 Scouting, a high school placement and NCAA Recruiting agency for Canadian football players. Utilizing his connections to Division I and high school prep coaches in the U.S., Dillon gives Canadian players their best chance of reaching the National Football League.

Ayomanor was just a freshman in high school, but to chase his dream, he and his family trusted Dillon. Three years later, he committed to Stanford.

Through 730 Scouting, Ayomanor enrolled at The Peddie School (New Jersey) as a sophomore before transferring to Deerfield Academy (Massachusetts). While at Deerfield, Ayomanor’s junior campaign was canceled due to COVID-19 and he suffered a knee injury forcing him to miss most of his senior year.

Still, Ayomanor received significant interest from D-I programs, including Tennessee, Notre Dame and Cal, before choosing Stanford. While the wide receiver was healthy upon arriving on campus in 2022, another knee injury forced him to miss his freshman year. Ayomanor then burst onto the scene in 2023, notching 62 receptions, 1,013 receiving yards and six touchdowns. Friday, Ayomanor leads Stanford into its first-ever Atlantic Coast Conference matchup with Syracuse.

“This young man comes from Medicine Hat, Alberta, is on one of the biggest stages and he’s really doing it,” Dillon said of Ayomanor. “And not only is he doing it, he’s creating a path for more Canadians.”

In the 2023 NFL season, 88 foreign-born players recorded a snap. Twenty-two were Canadian, while only four caught a pass — wide receivers Josh Palmer and Chase Claypool and running backs Chuba Hubbard and Chase Brown.

Ayomanor, who is eligible for the 2025 NFL Draft, could join the group next year. He wouldn’t be in that position without Kwame Osei. Before Ayomanor moved to America, he played for Team Alberta — a club football team for amateurs — where Osei was an assistant coach.

After Ayomanor had a multi-touchdown game as a freshman in high school, Osei remembers asking him what his goals were with his football career. According to Osei, most kids in Canada don’t have a vision beyond developing in their province.

Ayomanor said he wanted to play in the NFL. Osei responded that he needed to move to the U.S. as soon as possible and he needed to speak with his mother, Pamela Weiterman, when he got home. If he was interested, Osei, who helps recruit players for 730 Scouting, was going to connect Ayomanor with Dillon.

The next day, Osei said he had a long conversation over the phone with Weiterman. While it took some time, she agreed to let her son move to the U.S. Osei instantly told Dillon about Ayomanor.

While Dillon trusts Osei, he needed to see Ayomanor play before facilitating anything. From there, Ayomanor ensured he had someone filming his games with Team Alberta and his high school. At the end of the season, Osei put together a highlight reel and sent them to Dillon.

Dillon was impressed and utilized his connections with The Peddie School and Deerfield Academy to get Ayomanor offers in America. The wide receiver chose the Peddie School.

breakoutstar.png

Cole Ross | Digital Design Director

“Right now, he’s the example,” Osei said of Ayomanor’s move to America. “As he rises, he’s lifting a whole generation of young Canadian athletes that are going to be inspired by what he does and ball out and maximize their gifts too.”

Despite choosing Peddie over Deerfield, Ayomanor transferred to Deerfield after his sophomore season due to a coaching change. Deerfield head coach Brian Barbato was instantly drawn to Ayomanor when Dillon compared him to Zay Flowers, John Metchie III and Claypool. The three NFL wide receivers have vastly different play styles. Flowers is shifty, Metchie III is a vertical threat and Claypool is a big-bodied physical weapon.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Ayomanor couples his imposing frame with elite speed. Barbato says Ayomanor wanted to run routes like he was 5-foot-6, adding a shifty element to his game.

https://atozsports.com/college-foot...-mccord-speaks-out-osu-transfer-syracuse-cfb/ (atozsports.com; Little)

Things didn't go how Kyle McCord envisioned them going for him while was at Ohio State. Still, McCord has no hard feelings for the Buckeyes.

McCord transferred to Syracuse following last season and the Buckeyes moved onto Kansas State transfer quarterback Will Howard. McCord was solid at Ohio State last year but the fit seemed off and he was never able to take them over the top. It was a mutual breakup in the end.

McCord recently appeared on the “Rise and Schein” podcast with SiriusXM’s Adam Schein. There, he opened up a bit about his time as a Buckeye and how he feels about the fans.

“I appreciate all of them,” McCord said of Ohio State fans. “I still root for Ohio State. I got a lot of friends who are still on the team. I still talk to a few of the coaches. I still root for them and I’m cheering those guys on. I appreciate the fans because I met a lot of great people in the community who still have been reaching out and supporting me so that’s been awesome. On my end, there’s nothing but love for the Buckeyes.”

It looks to have worked out for both sides. Howard is playing well for the Buckeyes and McCord is playing some of the best ball of his career with the Orange. Through two games, McCord has completed 59-of-85 passes for 735 yards and eight touchdowns with just one interception.

“I’m extremely thankful for how it went. In the moment, it’s not necessarily how you envision the season-ending (with) losing against Michigan,” McCord explained. “But there were a lot of really good things that I learned about myself throughout the season, just growing as a player and a person, and so to go through all that, I feel like it’s prepared me for everything that’s to come still in my career.”

QB Kyle McCord is on an early roll for undefeated Syracuse after transfer from Ohio State (ottumwacourier.com; Frank)
After Kyle McCord threw for 381 yards and four touchdowns in his Syracuse debut, first-time head coach Fran Brown thought about sending a bottle of champagne to Ohio State coach Ryan Day.

If McCord keeps it going, Brown may have to up the ante.

The Orange are off to a 2-0 start, including an upset over then-No. 23 Georgia Tech, and a lot of the credit goes to the former Buckeyes quarterback whose transfer to the school in upstate New York caught many by surprise.

McCord leads the nation in touchdown passes per game (4.0) and is second in passing yards per game (367.5). He and the Orange rank third in the nation and second in the ACC in passing offense. The New Jersey native has already set career highs in completions and yards, and he’s tied his personal best of four touchdown passes in the win against Georgia Tech.

The early results have washed away the “sour taste” with the way last season ended for McCord — the season-ending loss against Michigan and doubts about his status as the Buckeyes starting quarterback despite leading Ohio State to an 11-1 record. He finished the season with 24 touchdown passes and just six interceptions while completing nearly 66% of his passes. The fact that he didn’t quite measure up to his most immediate predecessors – Justin Fields and C.J. Stroud – didn’t help.

“I thought we should move in one direction. They didn’t see it that way, so it was kind of a quick decision to get in the portal,” McCord said. “Things happened rather quick.”

The early results, which have garnered the attention of NFL scouts, have been gratifying for McCord, who acknowledged he is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

“Any time you step on the football field there’s something to prove, but especially given the way last year went and especially how it ended, I definitely felt like I needed to come here and prove myself," he said ahead of Friday night's home against Stanford. "I know the player I am and what I’m capable of.”

As well as things have been going, it was surprising that the former five-star recruit out of St. Joseph’s Prep in Philadelphia transferred from a blueblood to a program that’s produced mostly middling results since joining the ACC. He is the highest-ranked player to commit to Syracuse since ESPN began recording recruiting rankings in 2006.

Syracuse QB Kyle McCord Making Good on 5-Star High School Pedigree (CFN; Perlowitz)
Do not be alarmed if you hear a cork pop sound coming from Ryan Day’s office on the campus of Ohio State this week.

After all, Syracuse head coach Fran Brown did say he “should send him a bottle of champagne for allowing us to get him,” in reference to Orange starting quarterback, Kyle McCord.

Following career highs in passing yards (354) and touchdown passes (four) in his Syracuse debut against Ohio, McCord moved that mark even further when he threw for 381 yards and another four touchdowns in an upset win over then-No. 23 Georgia Tech.

Now that he’s 2-0 at his new stop and has college coaches possibly exchanging alcoholic beverages, let’s explore where Kyle McCord played football in high school and how he ended up at Syracuse.

Where Did Kyle McCord Play in High School?
To say McCord grew up surrounded by football would actually be an understatement.

The son of former Rutgers quarterback Derek McCord, Kyle grew up in Mount Laurel, N.J., which is home to NFL Films. His older brother, Cole, played Division III football in college as a tight end.

McCord attended high school across the Delaware River from Mount Laurel in Philadelphia at St. Joseph’s Prep. He led the Hawks to three straight state championships after becoming the starting quarterback as a sophomore when he completed over 66% of his passes for 2,883 yards with 38 touchdowns.

He had quite the connection with Marvin Harrison Jr., one of the best high school wide receivers in the nation.

Prior to his junior season at St. Joe’s, McCord committed to Ohio State over offers from Penn State, Michigan State, Mississippi State, and Texas A&M. Harrison Jr. would eventually join him as an Ohio State recruit.

In all, McCord set Philadelphia Catholic League records for career passing yards (6,887) and touchdown passes (88). He was a consensus five-star prospect in the 2021 recruiting class, which included 2024 NFL first-round picks Caleb Williams and J.J. McCarthy.

Stanford’s trip to Syracuse means first Dome appearance for former Orange QB (8 things to know) (PS; Leiker)

Justin Lamson said earlier this week he still thinks of Syracuse as a home.

Now at Stanford, the quarterback spent the first two seasons of his collegiate career with Syracuse football.

But he never played a game in the JMA Wireless Dome. Stanford’s bout with Syracuse on Friday night will be his first time taking the turf at the Dome for a contest other than a spring game.

After redshirting his true freshman year, Lamson suffered a non-contact knee injury the following spring that kept him out through the fall.

Lamson went through spring practice in 2023 with the Orange but transferred that May.

“They didn’t get to see a guy that was ready to play in a competitive way,” Lamson said during a Stanford media availability Monday. “Things didn’t go the way I wanted them to go. I’m excited to go back there and show them what I can do when I get my opportunity.”

Lamson still doesn’t have a first-string QB job. He’s a situational backup for Cardinal starter Ashton Daniels, being used mostly in short-distance scenarios and for his rushing abilities.

He’s had eight rushing attempts for 14 yards and two touchdowns this season.

Stanford named him a captain for his return to the Salt City. With a decent chunk of Syracuse’s personnel still the same since his departure, the Cardinal has also leaned on Lamson for some aspects of game prep.

One of his biggest notes is about the environment in the Dome.

“I know it’s just a hostile environment,” Lamson said. “They love football in Syracuse, so I’ve kind of relayed that to the offense. Be ready for some noise, especially on third down.”

Syracuse head coach Fran Brown explains why he vetoed all-orange uniforms for Stanford game (PS; $; Carlson)
Syracuse head coach Fran Brown said he vetoed the idea of the Orange wearing all-orange uniforms for its game against Stanford in favor of the school’s traditional home look.

When Syracuse hosts the Cardinal on Friday night, the Orange will wear orange pants, blue jerseys and an orange helmet for the third consecutive game to open the season.

“They tried to get at me to have us wear all orange for the game this week,” Brown said during his weekly radio show on Wednesday. “I was like, ‘Nah, we ain’t doing that.’ Let’s wear the colors that are Syracuse. When you look at those colors, you see it, and that’s Syracuse.

It’s a throwback approach to fashion in an era when many programs have attempted to mimic Oregon and trot out unique looks as often as possible.

Oregon’s array of uniform options and their role in recruiting has been referenced regularly as the school’s football program has gone from downtrodden to a national powerhouse.

Of course, it’s very unclear whether it’s the Nike uniforms -- or the other investments that Nike founder Phil Knight has made -- that deserve the credit for the school’s rise to athletic prominence.

Brown said he plans to take an old-school approach at SU.

“There are certain things that you wear when you’re away, certain things you wear when you’re home,” Brown said. “We have to integrate that more. Once we get that, we can have a little throw-off jersey and things of that nature. We have to learn to win in these uniforms.”

Brown’s preference is a nod toward Syracuse’s football history, one that he has referenced often during his first nine months on the job.

In addition to respecting tradition, Brown said he views alternative uniforms as something that his team needs to earn the right to wear.

“I like them” Brown said of the current threads. “We’ve got to stick to tradition. We’ll get upgrades and all that other stuff when we get everything back the way it’s supposed to be.”

Syracuse football success; The impact of NIL and are fans ready to donate to the cause? (cnycentral.com; Ostrander)
Syracuse football starts the season 2-0 and has been successful in large part due to players transferring into the team.

A big reason those players came to Syracuse is called NIL. That means name, image, and likeness, which is how collegiate athletes can get paid while in school.

That money comes from donors, brands, and everyday fans, as the new era of college sports requires NIL money to compete. But how likely are the Syracuse faithful to donate to the cause?

Fans in college football are being asked to step up to the plate and open their wallets to get the best collegiate players at their school, and some, like Donald Wisniewski, aren’t on board with this.

I'm just kind of against it. I like the idea of paying the players. I think it should be done like they have talked about where the schools do it because you know how much the ACC makes.

Even if you don't want to contribute towards NIL, it could have an important impact on the Syracuse economy. David Meluni, a Syracuse professor of sports management, feels that the better the school is in sports, the more people want to be here.

Key offseason acquisition for Syracuse football ‘will definitely be playing’ against Stanford (PS; $; Carlson)

Syracuse wide receiver Justus Ross-Simmons “will definitely be playing” against Stanford on Friday night, SU head coach Fran Brown said during his weekly radio show on Wednesday night.

“He’ll be playing this week,” Brown said. “Excited that he’s back. Justus is the only (player who has been out with an injury) that’s definitely going to be playing.”

That was a little more certainty about the status of a key offseason acquisition for the Orange than Brown provided earlier in the week.

Brown had said previously that both Ross-Simmons and defensive back Greg Delaine had returned to practice over the past two weeks but that didn’t necessarily mean either would see playing time against the Cardinal.

“Those guys are practicing,” Brown said earlier in the week. “You should be able to see them. Hopefully you’ll be able to see them. Just because you come back doesn’t mean you have to play. You have to compete now and be able to beat some of the other guys out.”

Brown did not expand on how much he expects Ross-Simmons to be able to play in his Orange debut or what role he expects the wide receiver to play in his first game.

Ross-Simmons missed the majority of SU’s training camp with a hamstring injury. He transferred to Syracuse in the summer.

Syracuse has not lacked for weapons over the first two games of the season. Quarterback Kyle McCord has thrown eight touchdown passes and eight different players have caught passes.

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Orange Football is a strong favorite against Stanford Cardinal tomorrow night. There are three keys for Fran Brown's squad. First, Kyle McCord and his abundance of weapons like Oronde Gadsden and Trebor Pena need to attack Stanford's weak secondary and pass rush. Second, Elijah Robinson once again needs to design a game plan to keep mobile quarterbacks Ashton Daniels and Justin Lamson. Finally, the Syracuse secondary needs to limit Elic Ayomanor's production.

Jackson Holzer believes if Syracuse follows these three keys to success, the Orange will have no trouble with Stanford tomorrow night.

Syracuse Football's Passing Offense vs. Stanford Cardinal Secondary | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse; premieres at 9 AM EST)

Syracuse Orange Football is a strong favorite against Stanford Cardinal tomorrow night. There are three keys for Fran Brown's squad. First, Kyle McCord and his abundance of weapons like Oronde Gadsden and Trebor Pena need to attack Stanford's weak secondary and pass rush. Second, Elijah Robinson once again needs to design a game plan to keep mobile quarterbacks Ashton Daniels and Justin Lamson. Finally, the Syracuse secondary needs to limit Elic Ayomanor's production.

Jackson Holzer believes if Syracuse follows these three keys to success, the Orange will have no trouble with Stanford tomorrow night.

The Biggest Key for Syracuse Football over Stanford? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; locked on Syracuse; premieres at 10 AM)
Syracuse Orange Football takes on Stanford Cardinal tonight. Fran Brown's squad will have to contain Cardinal's mobile quarterbacks Ashton Daniels and Justin Lamson. If Syracuse does that, then the next biggest key is slowing down Elic Ayomanor.

Jackson Holzer gives his biggest key for Syracuse to win on this week's edition of Poll Friday on the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Axe: Forecasting Kyle McCord and SU football’s pro prospects with an NFL Draft expert (podcast) (PS; podcast; Axe)

It used to be Tom Brady.

Since the future Hall of Fame quarterback was taken in the sixth-round (pick 199) in the 2000 NFL Draft, experts would mine the prospects year-after-year looking for the next great hidden gem at the most important position in all of sports.

Brock Purdy changed that game when the current San Francisco 49ers quarterback was taken with the final pick (262) in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Which brings us to Syracuse quarterback Kyle McCord.

As Dane Brugler of The Athletic tells me on the latest episode of Syracuse Sports, McCord’s game is similar to Purdy, but no one is going to make the mistake of overlooking him.

“With Brock Purdy, I think he is a little more fluid with his release and to get the ball out,” Brugler said. “The ability to process everything really quickly and be accurate with your throws, that’s why Brock Purdy has been successful and why I think Kyle McCord certainly has a shot.”

Brugler also told me how NFL scouts view other Orange pro prospects like Oronde Gadsden II, Fadil Diggs, Marlowe Wax, Justin Barron, Alijah Clark and others.

You can listen to the full podcast in the audio player above.

Stanford Football: Syracuse Game Trailer (youtube; video; Stanford Athletics)
In their first ACC Conference matchup, Stanford Football travels to Syracuse, New York to take on the Orange at 4:30 pm on ESPN.
Quarterback Justin Lamson returns to Syracuse in Cardinal colors (Stanforddaily.com; Miakar)

Stanford football (1-1, 0-0 ACC) steps into its first conference game as a member of the ACC in the match against Syracuse on Friday, but for junior quarterback Justin Lamson, it is a return to familiar territory.

The redshirt junior, now in his second year on the Farm, spent two years at the university in upstate New York. Now, he heads back to Syracuse with the Cardinal as they prepare to play the Orange for the first time ever.

"I’m super excited about it,” Lamson said in a press conference on Monday. “I know seven of the 11 starters on defense. Knowing who I’m going against is something I’m super excited about, and [feels] like a homecoming game for me."

While Lamson is not expected to start on Friday, he has emerged as a situational weapon for the Cardinal over the past two years, often deployed in short yardage and goal line situations. The Northern California native has seven career-rushing touchdowns, including two this season.

"I think I’ve shown growth in the offense,” he said. “I know I didn’t have the opportunity to throw much last year. This year I feel like I’m ready for that opportunity.

“Obviously I can do a lot of stuff with my running ability. I’ve shown that, and I’ll keep doing that if I need to, but I’m ready to take the next step in the passing game.yracuse fans have not seen Lamson live after a knee injury ended his 2022 season. Before the injury, Lamson won the backup job but was unable to play after the spring camp accident.

Lamson was drawn to the Farm by Stanford’s academic prowess and proximity to home.

Stanford head football coach Troy Taylor was already familiar with Lamson from his time at Sacramento State, having tried to recruit the former Syracuse quarterback while he was in high school. When Lamson decided to enter the transfer portal after his redshirt freshman year at Syracuse, Taylor said “it was a no-brainer” to try to bring him to Stanford.

Stanford vs. Syracuse prediction, odds, line, spread: 2024 college football Week 4 picks by proven model (cbssports.com; Staff)

An ACC battle features the Stanford Cardinal (1-1) going on the road to play the Syracuse Orange (2-0) on Friday evening. After starting the season 0-1, the Cardinal bounced back in Week 2. Stanford blew out Cal Poly 41-7 to secure its first win of the season. On the other sideline, Syracuse's offense has been dynamic, scoring 30-plus points in back-to-back games. On Sept. 7, the Orange topped Georgia Tech 31-28.

Kickoff from JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, NY., is set for 7:30 p.m. ET. The Orange are 8.5-point favorites in the latest Stanford vs. Syracuse odds via SportsLine consensus, while the over/under for total points scored is 57.5. Before making any Syracuse vs. Stanford picks, you need to see the college football predictions and betting advice from the SportsLine Projection Model.

The model simulates every FBS college football game 10,000 times. Since its inception, it has generated a profit of over $2,000 for $100 players on its top-rated college football picks against the spread. It is also coming off a profitable 13-9 season on top-rated spread picks and is off to a 5-2 start on over/under picks this season. Anyone who has followed it has seen strong returns!

Now, the model has dialed in on Stanford vs. Syracuse and just revealed its coveted picks and predictions. You can head to SportsLine now to see the model's picks. Here are the college football odds on the spread, money line and over/under for S

Stanford vs. Syracuse:

• Stanford vs. Syracuse spread: Orange -8.5
  • Stanford vs. Syracuse over/under: 57.5 points
  • Stanford vs. Syracuse money line: Orange -340, Cardinals +263
  • STAN: 1-1 ATS this season
  • SYR: 1-1 ATS this season
  • Stanford vs. Syracuse picks: See picks here

Why Syracuse can cover

The Orange have an explosive and potent offense that puts pressure on opposing defenses. Through two games, Syracuse ranks third in the ACC in total offense (497.5), second in pass offense (367.5) and sixth in points per game (34.5). Senior quarterback Kyle McCord transferred from Ohio State and he has provided a huge boost for this offense.

McCord has a quick release that helps get the ball out of his hand. The New Jersey native does a superb job pushing the ball downfield. In two games, McCord is 59 of 85 (69.4%) for 735 passing yards with eight passing touchdowns and one interception. In his last outing, McCord went 32 of 46 for 381 yards and four touchdowns. He's gone over 300 passing yards and four scores in consecutive weeks. See who to back at SportsLine.

Why Stanford can cover

Junior quarterback Ashton Daniels is an athletic, dual-threat playmaker for the Cardinal. Daniels has impressive field vision to get the ball out but has the quickness to generate positive yards with his legs. He's completing 62% of his throws for 384 yards and three passing touchdowns. The Georgia native also logged 118 rushing yards with 4.5 yards per carry.

In his last outing, Daniels threw for 221 yards and two passing touchdowns with 31 rushing yards. Sophomore receiver Elic Ayomanor is the main pass catcher for the Cardinal. Ayomanor has a strong frame with the long speed to break away from defenders. This season, he has notched 10 catches for 147 yards and 14.7 yards per reception. In Week 1, Ayomanor had seven catches for 102 yards. See who to back at SportsLine.

Syracuse Orange v. Stanford Cardinal Prediction & Preview (9/20) (R1vals.com; Stechschulte)
Syracuse (2-0, 1-0 ACC) hosts Stanford (1-1) for the Cardinal's first-ever ACC football game at the JMA Wireless Dome on Friday evening.

Opponent: Stanford Cardinal
Date & Time: Friday, Sept. 20, 7:30 p.m.
TV: ESPN

PREDICTION (The Juice's Season Record: 1-1)

While Stanford is averaging an impressive 34 points per game in their two outings this season, a slightly deeper look into the numbers suggests things are not as great as they seem on the surface. The Cardinal rank 97th in Division I, averaging 5.36 yards per play, and posted 3.92 yards per play against their lone Power 4 opponent, TCU.

Syracuse, meanwhile, stands 35th in offense nationally at 6.72 yards per play. While both Orange games have been against D-I foes, there was little difference in their productivity against Ohio and fellow ACC team Georgia Tech. SU put up 6.86 yards per play on the Bobcats and averaged 6.60 yards per snap against the Yellow Jackets.

A second area where Stanford struggled against TCU was defending the pass. The Horned Frogs’ Josh Hoover completed 28-of-42 of passes for 353 yards and a pair of scores in their win over the Cardinal, connecting with three different wide receivers at least six times each, totaling 23 completions, 331 yards, and both scores.

Those numbers seem like something Kyle McCord, Oronde Gadsden II, Trebor Pena, and friends should be salivating over.
Hoover’s stat line would blend in pretty well with McCord’s game log, as he has bested 353 passing yards while hitting for four scores in each game this season.

Both teams have had 13 days to tend to issues between games, but between Stanford’s troubled pass defense and their cross-country travel, things set up pretty nicely for SU on Friday night.

Syracuse football aims to stay hot in inaugural matchup against Stanford (waer.org; Papillo)

After a long thirteen days off, Syracuse football (2-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) is back in action on Friday night, where it will host a foe for the first time ever in Stanford (1-1, 0-0 ACC.)

It will be the inaugural showdown between the programs thanks to the new conference realignment put in place this past summer. The move saw three new programs join Syracuse’s ACC: The California Golden Bears, the SMU Mustangs, and the Stanford Cardinal. That decision also implies that SU will take at least one trip to the west coast every season. For a program with an elite recruiter under the helm like head coach Fran Brown, doors open for possible pipelines.

“It gives you an opportunity to go and recruit some guys and for them to be comfortable knowing that they’ll get the opportunity to travel back home twice a year,” Brown said of playing on the West Coast.

Brown, who was ranked as the top recruiter in the nation by 247Sports, has revamped the football program through the transfer portal, most notably with quarterback Kyle McCord. The senior has dominated in his first two games in orange, notching 735 yards and eight touchdowns. A strong majority of teams say they would not want a bye week right as they find their form, but McCord thinks otherwise.

“Having one now is nice,” McCord said about the bye earlier this week. “Getting two wins, starting off hot, and getting the chance to regroup with another one in the middle of the season works out perfectly. It breaks the season up nicely and we can keep things rolling.”

Despite the positive outlook from McCord, the Orange of years past have struggled coming off bye weeks. Under former head coach Dino Babers, Syracuse football was 4-9 coming off more than a week of rest. In the past five years, that mark is 1-4. For Brown though, keeping his group together was key this past week.

Syracuse football: what to watch for vs Stanford (TNIAAM; Staff)
The Syracuse Orange (2-0, 1-0) are back in action on Friday night when the Stanford Cardinal (1-1, 0-0) visit the JMA Wireless Dome to play their first ACC conference game. Both teams are coming off a bye week, but here’s what we’ll be watching for on Friday night:

Kevin: Bye Week Recalculations?

Stanford hasn’t started classes for their Autumn quarter which means that in the time since their win over Cal Poly, the Cardinal have had extra time to prepare several young players. In their last game, Stanford started a freshman at left tackle and also gave snaps to freshman quarterback Elijah Brown. They also gave time to highly touted quarterback Elijah Brown, a four-star from Mater Dei who might be their best option for a quick passing game. With the extra time, will the Cardinal be better prepared up front and possibly playing three quarterbacks- Ashton Daniels, Justin Lamson and Brown?

Max: Controlling the ground game

The Cardinal defense posted the worst overall grade among Power Five schools last year. Despite returning a similar group in 2024, Stanford’s run-stopping efforts are greatly improved through two games, allowing just over three yards per rush (#31st in DI). LeQuint Allen is easily the toughest back the Trees have seen, so we’ll see if the visitors can keep up their impressive start at stopping the run.

Christian: Cue the Undertaker Gong

Syracuse held Georgia Tech to 7-of-14 on 3rd down conversions. What the stats won’t tell you is that the majority of those conversations came in Georgia Tech’s first drive in the 1st quarter and in the 4th quarter. That’s when the Yellow Jackets offense looked the best. Syracuse looked dominant in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, and a large part of that was due to getting the defense off the field. Giving the Orange the time of possession advantage by winning the third down battles will allow Syracuse’s offensive momentum to keep building.

Mike: More McCord Magic

Orange fans have already had the pleasure of watching Kyle McCord throw four touchdowns and set a new career-high in passing yards... twice! Max pointed out how the Cardinal run defense has improved, but it may be at a determent to their anti-air operations. TCU QB Josh Hoover went 28/42 for 353 yards during their opener in Palo Alto, and much like #6 and the Orange have done so far, he split his attention between three receivers and found windows all over the field. Expect a similar gameplan.

Dom: Win the possession and field position battles

Even after two high scoring game, it’s hard to say Stanford will have the advantage on offense (especially with the clear positives at quarterback and receiver). However, this is really the game where self-inflicted mistakes will hurt the Orange. It’s how Stanford held on long enough versus TCU. The offensive line needs to hold off just enough to give McCord time in the pocket, and the Orange can’t afford to give up the “easy” ones. Very similar to Christian, but the offense needs to stay moving.

Carson: CB/WR matchup between Clarence Lewis and Elic Ayomanor

Ayomanor led Stanford in receiving yards last season as a true freshman (62 catches, 1,013 yards, 6 TDs) and picked up right where he left off against TCU with seven catches for 102 yards. Clarence Lewis is SU’s most experienced secondary player and will likely be Ayomanor’s primary defender. Lewis held Georgia Tech’s Malik Rutherford to less than 40 receiving yards last week and is tied for team-best in pass deflections (2). He should be a great match for Ayomanor on Friday.

Previewing Stanford football's week three matchup against Syracuse (SI; Grausz)

ACC competition is officially here. After an early season bye week, the Stanford Cardinal return to action this week, hitting the road to face off against the Syracuse Orange, the first time ever that the schools will face one another. For Stanford (1-1) the first game ever against a member of the ACC as a member of the conference will bring about a tough test, as Syracuse has started off the Fran Brown era on a high note, with the Cardinal eager to begin conference play with a win. For Syracuse (2-0), a win this week could possibly get them into the AP Top 25 for the first time since 2022. Here is a preview of this week’s matchup between the two teams.

Game Information

When: Friday, Sep. 20, 4:30 p.m. PDT
Where: JMA Wireless Dome; Syracuse, New York
How to watch: ESPN/Fubo
Spread: Syracuse: -9.5 (-110); Stanford: +9.5 (-110)
Moneyline: Syracuse: -335; Stanford: +265
Total: 57.5 (over -115/under -105)

Players to Watch - Stanford

Elijah Brown, QB

Ever since enrolling at Stanford and officially joining the team, the hype surrounding Brown has grown tremendously, as the former Mater Dei star comes into college possessing a ton of talent and potential. And in his college debut against Cal Poly before the bye, Brown wasted no time in making his presence known, going 7-for-7 for 97 yards while also leading a touchdown drive in his first possession. While junior Ashton Daniels is still the starting quarterback and is expected to take a majority of the snaps on Friday, Brown should see himself in the rotation and get some meaningful reps.

Ismael Cisse, WR

Last season, Cisse saw very limited action, playing in only two games while getting one target all year. But so far in 2024, things have looked vastly different for the sophomore out of Cherry Creek High School as this year, he has slowly started to become a major part of the offense, even leading the Cardinal both in targets and catches in the week two win. Catching eight passes for 79 yards and a touchdown, Cisse was clearly the No. 1 receiving option last game. In a room that already has guys like Elic Ayomanor, Jackson Harris and Tiger Bachmeier, Cisse may have to fight for reps, but what he has shown so far makes him a marquee weapon for the quarterbacks for the foreseeable future.

Mitch Leigber, S

Defense has been key for Stanford all year long and one reason for that is because of the strong performances by Leigber, who has become one of the team’s most important leaders on the defensive side of the ball. During his first two seasons, Leigber played a limited role, only making one tackle combined during his freshman and sophomore seasons on The Farm but coming off of a career year last season where he became a starting safety and recorded 53 tackles, two sacks and a tackle for loss, Leigber came into this year as an expected starter and has been crucial through two games, having made 11 tackles already. Facing a Syracuse team that likes to pass, expect Leigber to be busy back there all game long.

Syracuse Football: Top analyst dishes on ACC's inclusion in College Football Playoff (itlhl Adler)
As Syracuse football is set to put its 2-0 record on the line this Friday night at home versus new Atlantic Coast Conference member Stanford, teams across this league are looking to score victories in week four this weekend and improve their standing in the ACC's pecking order.

Naturally, it's super early in the 2024 season, so a lot of the discussions about bowl projections, ACC title game contenders, and possible participants in the 12-team College Football Playoff ("CFP") are undeniably speculative.

At the same time, it will prove fascinating to watch the ACC race unfold over the coming weeks. Some national and ACC observers have opined that the conference appears fairly wide open at this juncture, with No. 8 Miami possibly being the early team to beat.

By the same token, the Hurricanes have yet to play a conference contest, and there are plenty of other ACC schools, including the Orange, that feel they have a legit shot to reach the league's championship encounter that will take place in early December in Charlotte, N.C.

ACC News

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...ootball-rankings-miami-clemson-florida-state/ (theathletic.com; $; Raynor and Navarro)

Welcome to The Athletic’s ACC power rankings. Each week, Manny Navarro and Grace Raynor take turns drafting teams based on how they performed the previous week (and all season). Grace has the first pick this week, Manny will take it next week.

1. Miami (previous ranking: 1): The Hurricanes continue to roll and have now outscored opponents 159-26 through three weeks. Cam Ward is the best quarterback in the league and Miami is already playing like a College Football Playoff team. — Raynor

2. Louisville (2): After dispatching Austin Peay and Jacksonville State, Jeff Brohm’s team will get tested for the first time this week when Georgia Tech visits Derby City. The Cardinals won last year’s shootout 39-35 in Atlanta and have scored at least 30 points eight times in nine home games under Brohm. I want to see if Louisville can become the first team to record a sack against the Jackets offensive line. — Navarro

3. Clemson (3): The Tigers looked like a different team against Appalachian State in Week 2 than they did against Georgia in Week 1. Playing NC State at home should be an accurate litmus test this week as Clemson’s 2024 identity continues to take shape. — Raynor

4. Syracuse (4): The Orange host Stanford on Friday. They are 7-4 in Friday night games but are just 8-9 coming off a bye week since 2009. Quarterback Kyle McCord has been sensational through Syracuse’s 2-0 start, and so has wide receiver Trebor Pena, who is tied for the ACC lead with five touchdowns. I’ve got a feeling, though, we won’t know just how good the Orange really are until they visit UNLV on Oct. 4. — Navarro

5. California (5): Could Cal be the dark horse of the ACC? The Golden Bears are off to quite the start as one of the league’s three newcomers, beating Auburn on the road in Week 2 and San Diego State at home by 21 points a week ago. At this point, I’d pick quarterback Fernando Mendoza and the Bears over Florida State this week. — Raynor

6. Georgia Tech (6): The Yellow Jackets are 3-1 for the first time since 2017 and a win Saturday at Louisville would give them their best start since 2014. Georgia Tech is 5-0 against ranked ACC opponents under Brent Key, with four of the five wins coming on the road. That’s pretty bleeping impressive. — Navarro

No. 19 Louisville opens ACC play vs. Georgia Tech, which seeks to upset another ranked league team (yahoo.com; Canadian Press)

Georgia Tech (3-1, 1-1 ACC) at No. 19 Louisville (2-0, 0-0), Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2)

BetMGM College Football Odds: Louisville by 10 1/2.

Series: Georgia Tech leads 2-1.

WHAT’S AT STAKE

Georgia Tech resumes ACC play seeking to rebound and remain in league contention after losing 31-28 two weeks ago at Syracuse. The Yellow Jackets also seek their best five-game start since 5-0 in 2014. They also want their sixth win over a ranked ACC team under coach Brent Key, three weeks after upsetting then- No. 10 Florida State 24-21 in Dublin, Ireland. Louisville opens ACC play after a bye following routs of FCS Austin Peay and Jacksonville State by a combined 111-14 margin. The Cardinals also seek their second consecutive series win against the Yellow Jackets after rallying past them 39-34 last season in Atlanta in Jeff Brohm’s coaching debut.

KEY MATCHUP

Georgia Tech is one of eight FBS teams without a sack allowed, protection that has helped mobile quarterback Haynes King become one of the nation’s top passers. The Yellow Jackets will face their most aggressive pressure yet from a Louisville defense that averages 4.5 sacks per game and has registered 19 tackles for loss, which rank second and fifth, respectively, nationally.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Georgia Tech: Quarterback Haynes King threw three touchdown passes in one half of last week’s 59-7 rout of VMI and has six TDs overall, tied for 26th in FBS. He enters tied for fifth with a 76% completion rate (81 of 106) and a 169.44 efficiency rating.

Louisville: Receiver Ja’Corey Brooks has become a much-needed target after the departures of several playmakers. He leads the team with 13 receptions for 172 yards with one TD, including 89 on six catches against Jacksonville State. The Alabama transfer surpassed 1,000 career yards and has 1,068 total, and ranks third in the ACC with 6.5 catches per game.

FACTS AND FIGURES

Georgia Tech has converted all 14 trips inside the red zone with 13 TDs and a field goal. … The Yellow Jackets have blocked nine kicks in 25 contests since Key began as interim coach in 2022. … Louisville had 610 yards against Jacksonville State, its second-highest total under Brohm. … Linebacker Stanquan Clark has a team-high 11 tackles, including seven solo stops.

ACC reportedly discussing proposal to keep Florida State, Clemson | Rushing the Field | NBC Sports (youtube; podcast; NBC Sports)

Nicole Auerbach and Joshua Perry discuss why it is good for the ACC and college football as a whole for Florida State and Clemson to remain in the conference.

ACC Football: Predictions For Every Week Four Game (SI; Caudell)

It is time for another week of ACC Football.

While some teams are still working to get through their non-conference slate, some big conference matchups steal the show in the ACC in week four. Clemson hosts NC State in what might be the Wolfpack's last chance to show they are still a contender in the ACC. Georgia Tech travels to Louisville, Virginia Tech hosts Rutgers, Miami tries to avoid the upset vs South Florida, and Boston College looks to end Michigan State's perfect record.

I went 9-2 last week, an improvement over the 8-5 record I had in week two. My overall record is now 30-9.

Note: I will be providing a full preview of Louisville vs Georgia Tech tomorrow.

So who will be the winners in the ACC this week?

Friday, Sept. 19th

Stanford at Syracuse (-8.5), 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN

Syracuse got the week off after upsetting Georgia Tech and they will return to action with a Friday night matchup vs Stanford. This could be upset territory, but I think the week off will have helped Syracuse and they will be focused coming into the game. The passing attack will be too much for the Cardinal on their long road trip.

Final Score: Syracuse 31, Stanford 20

Saturday, Sept. 21st

NC State at Clemson (-20.5), 12:00 p.m. ET, ABC

The Tigers got a week off after blowing out App State and they are back in action vs an NC State team that is starting true freshman CJ Bailey at quarterback. Bailey is talented, but facing Clemson's defense on the road is a tough task as a freshman. I think there is a chance that NC State's offense looks better with Bailey, but I have a hard time seeing this one be a close game.

Friedlander: Reported deal that would keep FSU, Clemson and the ACC together is a win for everyone involved (saturdaydownsouth.com; Friedlander)

The published reports are preliminary, containing very little in the way of detail. So let’s hold off on the celebrations and I told you so’s.

At least for a little while.

But it’s definitely an encouraging sign that there finally appears to be some substantive movement toward ending the contentious family feud between the ACC and its litigious members Florida State and Clemson.

The proposed settlement, first reported Tuesday night by Ross Dellenger of Yahoo!Sports, centers around a new revenue distribution structure based on “media value metrics” such as television ratings for football and possibly basketball.

There’s also talk of reducing the length of the league’s grant of rights by as many as 6 years, a compromise that would presumably end the lawsuits that threaten the ACC’s immediate future while allowing for early renegotiation of television contracts that are the root of the current discontent.

According to Dellenger, presidents from the ACC’s 18 member schools have met twice in the past 2 weeks to discuss a possible deal. The talks are the product of a court order, issued by the judge hearing FSU’s case against the ACC in Leon County, Fla., requiring the 2 sides to enter into mediation.

They are the first tangible sign that the Seminoles and Tigers would be willing to remain members of the conference if the right set of conditions are met. And that the league isn’t as dug in and ready to fight to the bitter end as commissioner Jim Phillips suggested during his forum with the media in Charlotte in July.

A revenue-sharing format that provides a larger piece of the pie to the highest revenue-generating programs isn’t universally beneficial. And it will be interesting to see if the league can get the required two-thirds of its membership to vote for its passage.

NC State's Freshman QB :The Future of ACC Football (youtube; video; All Clemson)

Do us a HUGE favor like this video, comment down below and please subscribe to the channel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT84ZWnSeD0 (outube; video; ACC DN)

The No.21 Clemson Tigers will hope to continue their dominant play after their 66-20 victory over App St. when rival NC State comes to town in the annual "Textile Bowl." The 'Pack have won 2 of the last 3, and will be seeking their first win in Death Valley since 2002. This is the 92nd overall meeting between the two, with the Tigers having double the wins holding a 60-30-1 advantage. Clemson could become the first program in ACC history to amass 800 wins, and they are 11-3 versus NC State under head coach Dabo Swinney. NCSU will be looking to get on track offensively as true freshman CJ Bailey will start at quarterback. Cade Klubnik rung up the end zone for a whopping 7 TDR in his last outing, and will look to keep the magic going against a Wolfpack defense trying to find their footing. NC State Head Coach Dave Doeren and Swinney himself get you set for this pivotal rivalry game.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/09/friday-night-color-wars-2024.html (RX; HM)

Friday Night Color Wars 2024

For Immediate Use Thursday, September 19, 2024

Week 4 Preview:

Stanford, Syracuse Meet in ACC Contest on Friday

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) – Stanford and Syracuse will open the Week 4 slate of football around the Atlantic Coast Conference when the new conference foes meet for the first time on Friday, September 20, at the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, New York. Friday marks the 44th anniversary of the only domed stadium in the Northeast opening. 44 is one of the most storied numbers ever associated with a college football program as Syracuse greats Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little each wore the number.

Friday, Sept. 20, 7:30 p.m. ET

Stanford at Syracuse
Series: First Meeting
ESPN: Anish Shroff (play-by-play), Andre Ware (analyst), Paul Carcaterra (sideline)
School Radio Feed: Stanford / Syracuse
SiriusXM Radio: SiriusXM 81 / SiriusXM 121 / SiriusXM 193
SiriusXM App: SiriusXM 81 / SiriusXM 955
The Orange have had tremendous success through the air, ranking third in the FBS with 367.5 passing yards per game, while Kyle McCord is among the nation’s best in passing touchdowns with eight. Syracuse has also been successful at keeping opponents out of the backfield, allowing just 2.5 tackles-for-loss on the season – the ninth-fewest in the country. A win o
n Friday night would put Syracuse alone atop the ACC standings at 2-0.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/09/links-news-and-rumors-2024-sep-19th.html (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2024 Sep 19th
Did you know: when Stanford visits Syracuse Friday night, it will be the first time in 5 years that the Cardinal has played a football game in the Eastern Time Zone.
_____

From Athlon Sports: Heisman Trophy Rankings: New No. 1 Jumps Georgia’s Carson Beck, Texas’ Quinn Ewers Falls With Injury - there's a new #1 in the race!

1. Cam Ward — QB, Miami (Last week: 3)
Week 3 stats (62-0 W vs. Ball State): 19-for-28, 346 yards, 5 TD
Season stats (3-0): 65-for-89 (73%), 1,035 yards (11.6 YPA), 11 TD, 1 INT; 7 carries, 46 yards, 1 TD
Ward has been excellent in all three of Miami’s games so far this year, with the Week 1 road blowout of Florida setting the tone for a strong September. He has ascended to the top of the sports book odds for the trophy. Ward has a chance to be the quarterback to bring Miami back to true national championship contention, which would carry a lot of weight.

[Don't sleep on Syracuse QB Kyle McCord, who's currently listed as a "Heisman Sleeper"]

https://saturdayblitz.com/posts/who...friday-2024-week-4-game-schedule-01j80z2ctnh1 (saturdayblitz.com; Fariss)
The first FBS matchups of Week 4 are officially here. With Stanford playing Syracuse, San Jose State facing Washington State, and Illinois taking on Nebraska, the second day of the weekend is filled with teams from across the country, literally.

Stanford will cover nearly 2,500 miles to get to Syracuse while Illinois will venture over 500 miles west to Nebraska and finally San Jose State will travel almost 1,000 miles north to visit Washington State.

Meanwhile, football fans can stay in their living rooms and still catch all of the Friday night action. Here is the schedule for the second day of college football's Week 4:

CFB games on Friday, Sept. 20

• Stanford at Syracuse – 7:30 p.m. ET – ESPN
  • (24) Illinois at (22) Nebraska – 8 p.m. ET – FOX
  • San Jose State at Washington State – 10 p.m. – The CW Network
Stanford is now in the ACC and has to face the likes of Miami, Clemson, and, yes, the Syracuse Orange. The two new conference opponents will kick off on ESPN this Friday.

Long-time Big Ten foes Illinois and Nebraska are both back in the Top 25 after, what feels like, forever and will face each other in Lincoln on FOX.

Lastly, San Jose State (which wasn't one of the "State" schools to join the Pac-12) will travel north to Pullman to take on the Cougars who are coming off of a massive win over the Washington Huskies in the Apple Cup.

Other

PSFTG32PW5EH3MFTQBWRRMFSSQ.jpg

James Hetfield (L) and Kirk Hammett of Metallica perform onstage at Lumen Field on September 1, 2024 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Mat Hayward/Getty Images)Getty Images

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...oncert-for-first-time-in-nearly-30-years.html (PS; Herbert)

An iconic metal band is coming to Syracuse for the first time in nearly 30 years.

Metallica will perform at the JMA Wireless Dome on the Syracuse University campus on Saturday, April 19, 2025, as part of the band’s M72 world tour dates. Special guests Pantera and Suicidal Tendencies will open up the show at 6 p.m.

The concert will be Metallica’s first-ever performance in the former Carrier Dome, and the band’s first visit to Syracuse since 1996. It will also be Metallica’s only concert in New York state.

Tickets go on sale Friday, Sept. 27 at 10 a.m. via Ticketmaster. According to Live Nation, the stage will be in the center of the Dome with seats available all around the stadium, plus a standing “snake pit” in the middle of the stage area. Prices have not been announced.

Due to high demand, fans may also want to check resellers like VividSeats, StubHub, TicketNetwork or SeatGeek for tickets.

Metallica is a thrash metal/heavy metal band from California that currently features singer-guitarist James Hetfield, drummer Lars Ulrich, bassist Robert Trujillo and guitarist Kirk Hammett. The group has won 10 Grammy Awards, been inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and is one of the best-selling music acts of all time with more than 125 million albums sold worldwide.

Metallica hits include songs like “Enter Sandman,” “Until It Sleeps,” “Nothing Else Matters,” “Whiskey in the Jar,” “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” “The Memory Remains” and “Master of Puppets.” The band released its 11th studio album, “72 Seasons,” last year.

WK6X2TFGS5DSLKGVCCLWNHZVSM.jpg

Panna cotta dessert at Osteria Salina in Auburn.Jacob Pucci

https://www.syracuse.com/food/2024/...music-stay-for-dessert-dining-out-review.html (PS; Pucci)

Last thing’s first: Dessert.

It makes sense for a restaurant like Osteria Salina, with an adjoining bakery and creperie, to boast a robust selection of housemade desserts, ranging from crepes and cannoli, to Italian ricotta cheesecake and gelato with bananas, flambéed tableside in a fun bit of fiery fanfare.

The tiramisu and panna cotta (both $10) proved to be exceptional renditions of the Italian classics. The tiramisu, with its interlaced layers of espresso- and liqueur-soaked ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese, was simultaneously light and sturdy, with a strong coffee flavor that paired well with the tangy mascarpone. Suppose you’ve ever had a soggy tiramisu, with its over-saturated ladyfinger cookies or sponge cake collapsing into a grainy mush and the excess liquid leeching out into the pan after each portion is served. In that case, you’ll know that crafting the ideal tiramisu is often easier said than done.

The menu described the panna cotta as “a velvety journey of creamy perfection, elegantly adorned with a tantalizing swirl of seasonal fruit.” Thankfully, this dessert was as heavy on the flavor as it was the thesaurus use.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2024/...ked-with-tackling-citys-housing-problems.html (PS; Boyer)

A new Syracuse agency focused on addressing the city’s housing crisis now has a board of directors and a date for its first meeting.

The Syracuse Housing Strategies Corp. publicly launches at 2 p.m. Monday with the first board meeting. The session will be held at Syracuse City Hall in the common council chambers. It’s open to the public and will be broadcast on the city’s YouTube channel.

The board’s primary mission is carrying out the Syracuse Housing Strategy, a long-term plan developed by Mayor Ben Walsh’s administration and approved by the Syracuse Common Council earlier this month to tackle the need to make housing quality better and more affordable.

The strategy targets initial investment of public funds to property owners look to make renovations in middle-income neighborhoods because those areas often can’t access public support, such as low-income housing credits. Syracuse’s Salt Springs and Tipperary Hill neighborhoods will be the first focus areas.

The Syracuse Housing Strategies Corp. will develop the application process and criteria for distributing funds. The city aims to raise $25 million for the effort, and has about $7.5 million so far.

Common Councilors approved the housing agency’s formation at the end of 2023. At the time, the legislation called for seven board seats. That’s since been modified to allow for at least seven and up to nine seats. The makeup includes the mayor, common council president, a district common councilor, an at-large common councilor, two mayoral appointments, a joint appointment by the council president and mayor, the executive director of the Greater Syracuse Land Bank and an executive from a community housing development and lending agency serving the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom