Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Syracuse News

15541289-mmmain.jpg

Jon Burton (73) and Omari Palmer (57)

Scott Shafer Looking for a Lighter Offensive Line (PS; Carlson)

Bookends aren't made to be light and the Seven Blocks of Granite certainly weren't named for their speed.

But when left tackle Sean Hickey emerged at Syracuse's Media Day on Saturday, the Orange's offensive-line leader looked practically svelte. Hickey bragged about the weight losses of likely right tackle Ivan Foy and center John Miller.

At a position where gaining mass has historically been the mission and bonding has been done over buffets, head coach Scott Shafer instructed his Syracuse team to slim down this season.

-5e6d042a376f8ac7.JPG

SU CB Julian Whigham Has Scary Injury in Rearview Mirror Heading Into Training Camp (PS; Mink)

In the immediate moments after it happened, Julian Whigham wasn't sure if he would live to play another down of football. The hit he absorbed at Florida State left him wobbly and coughing up blood, pain so searing he likened it to "getting hit by a truck."

Such gloomy thoughts subsided by the time he went to bed in a Tallahassee hospital that November night, and the resounding message Whigham conveyed here Saturday before the first practice of the preseason was that he has put any worries about returning to the field in the rearview mirror.

15529994-mmmain.jpg

Sugar Bear Thompson is an Emerging Star at DE

10 Players to Keep an Eye on This SU Football Training Camp (PS; Bailey)

In less than 24 hours, Syracuse kicks off its first practice of training camp.

So today it's time to get acquainted with the key storylines heading into camp, which my colleague Nate Mink outlined earlier this afternoon, as well as some notable players to watch.

Here are 10 players worth monitoring through camp, whose performance in the preseason could have a significant effect on SU's success this season.

1. Brisly Estime

Nate hit on Terrel Hunt, the new play-calling system and George McDonald's Year 2 goals in his post, so I'll highlight Hunt's best playmaking option.

After working his way on to the playing field as a true freshman, Estime capped off his campaign with a 70-yard punt return that set the Orange up for its Texas Bowl victory.

Rob Trudo: 'I Don't See Myself Behind Omari (Palmer)' (PS; Bailey)

At Syracuse's first media opportunity of camp Saturday, Trudo echoed those sentiments.

"That's kind of how it is," Trudo said. "We've got seven guys who can play, five spots. I don't view myself behind Omari. Omari's a good player, Nick's a good player, John Miller's a good player, but I'm also a good player.

"So no, I don't view myself behind Omari."

Trudo started the spring working out at center as the primary option to replace three-year starter Macky MacPherson before a combination of Trudo's struggles with snapping accurately and the emergence of John Miller shifted him back to left guard.

SU PK Ross Krautman's Career is Over Because of Chronic Hip Injury (PS; Mink)

Syracuse kicker Ross Krautman has decided to end his career because of a chronic hip injury that he's been battling the last few years.

Head coach Scott Shafer announced the decision on Saturday afternoon. It was one of two roster announcements made. Freshman quarterback Alin Edouard has been temporarily excused from the team so he can travel to Florida for family reasons. No time frame was given for Edouard's return.

Shafer said the decision on Krautman was made "a short while back" and that Krautman was "crushed."

Wayne Williams Gets Serious, Loses 40 Pounds (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse defensive lineman Wayne Williams arrived to training camp with slightly less swagger and 40 fewer pounds.

The defensive tackle, who has been touting his weight loss efforts on social media, said he'll start training camp at 322 pounds, 40 pounds lighter than he arrived at Syracuse in January and only 12 pounds more than his target weight this season.

"His clothes actually look too big," defensive line coach Tim Daoust said. "I didn't think that was possible."

Road to the Goal of At Least Eight Wins Begins with Training Camp (PS; Axe)

The first mile on the road to a stated goal of at least eight wins in the 2014 season officially began for the Syracuse University football team on Saturday with media day and an afternoon practice on the slate.

SU head coach Scott Shafer said eight wins is a good measuring stick for his team to improve on last season's 7-6 finish, but also doesn't want to limit his team to that number.

Scott Shafer Preview Team on 1st Day of Training Camp (PS; Mink)

Syracuse hits the practice field this afternoon for the first time this preseason.

There won't be any hitting. Just shorts and jersey tops, per NCAA rules.

But the 2014 season is officially underway. Naturally, players and coaches are anxious to get to work, striving for at least eight winsfollowing a 7-6 record last season.

"I think everybody is anxious," senior running back Prince-Tyson Gulley said. "Last year we know we let a couple games go a little bad."

SU Football 14 in '14: Who Will be the Breakout Performers? (PS; Axe)

Let's take a look at a few candidates.

Jamal Custis
"Jamal Custis. Now, I don't know what Rob Moore looked like when he came out of high school, but man, he is as good as I've ever seen a kid look as a freshman. Oh my goodness, he's unbelievable."

Those are the words of Syracuse running backs coach DeAndre Smith when describing Custis in a recent chat with syracuse.com's Stephen Bailey.

That remark will grab your attention as will the dimensions listed on the roster for the freshman receiver.

taylor-hindy-e712922f8176c37a.jpg

Taylor Hindy (79)

Syracuse Football Adds 3 Players to Roster (PS; Bailey)

There are three new names on the Syracuse roster that was handed to media members at the team's first training camp practice on Saturday: offensive linemen Taylor Hindy and Keaton Darney and defensive tackle Rony-Andre Charles.

Hindy is the most notable as he played for Washington for the last two seasons before transferring this summer, according to The Bellingham Herald. The junior redshirted his first year before appearing in two games last season.

Update: All three players are walk-ons, according to a Syracuse University Athletics spokesperson. Hindy's eligibility for this season is still unconfirmed. Charles has two years of eligibility left.

15540957-mmmain.jpg

Darius Kelly (18) Might Start at Two Positions This Season

P Riley Dixon, S Darius Kelly Most Likely Options to Fill in Holder Position (PS; Bailey)

With former Syracuse quarterback Charley Loeb gone this training camp, the Orange is in need of a new holder.

And though there have only been two practices, one surprising candidate has already emerged. SU head coach Scott Shafer noted defensive back Darius Kelly, along with punter Riley Dixon, as a potential option to replace Loeb on the field-goal unit.

"Riley Dixon and Darius Kelly are two kids," Shafer said on Sunday. "Darius actually did a great job with it today. He had a couple young snappers getting in there and he really handled them well getting (the snaps) down. I was pleased with that."

Troy Green, Son of Tim, Now Working Out with Wide Receivers (PS; Mink)

In an effort to better compete for a role on the team, Syracuse walk-on quarterback Troy Green is working with the wide receivers in the early stages of training camp.

Green is the son of College Football Hall of Famer Tim Green, an All-American defensive end for Syracuse in the mid '80s. Hetransferred to Syracuse from Central Florida last summer and practiced with the team while sitting out due to NCAA transfer rules.

Former Players

Ryan Nassib Throws Winning Pass to Beat Bills and Doug Marrone (PS; Murray)

The NFL kicked off Sunday night with its first preseason game. There were six former Syracuse football players in action as the New York Giants defeated the Buffalo Bills 17-13 in the Hall of Fame game.

The head coaches, Doug Marrone for the Bills and Tom Coughlin for the Giants, also are connected to Syracuse. Marrone and Coughlin both played for the Orange and later coached at SU. Marrone was a head coach from 2009 to 2012 and Coughlin was a graduate assistant in 1969, a quarterbacks coach from 1974-76 and an offensive coordinator from 1977-80.

I'm not so much worried about the weight as much as stamina. Some people can hold a bit of weight and go 60 minutes and some can't. Granted, the better shape you are in the more you'll be able to contribute for a longer period of time but to me you still need that guy that can't be moved as a DT and as a linemen one that can plow the field.

Great articles Tomcat. As always, it is nice to be able to come here for my one stop shopping of SU football.

SU #1 Most Experienced in ACC

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...ll?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_Steele_ACCexperience

Last year, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer got the Orange to a bowl in their first year in the ACC. This year, they welcome back 15 starters, led by quarterbackTerrel Hunt (1,638 pass yards), who is also their leading returning rusher (500 yards). The Orange also bring back six of their top seven receivers and have 78 career starts returning on their offensive line.

On defense, they return five of their top six tacklers. Overall, Syracuse has 76 percent of its lettermen back (No. 18 in country) and also has 16 seniors in its two-deep.

Shafer has stated that his goal for this year's team is getting to eight wins. I think they have a shot despite playing my No. 21 toughest schedule.

Regarding the size of linemen, I think there's a law of diminishing returns. I think the difference between a 275 pound lineman, (which used to be thought of as big), and a 250 pounder is less than the difference between a 250 pounder and a 225 pounder. I think the difference between 300 and 275 is less than that and that a 325 pounder is probably just an out of shape 300 pounder.

There's also the issue of height and body type. A 6-0, 275 guy isn't necessarily going to be better at 300 and a 6-5 guy can probably carry 300 easily. The important thing is to be at the weight YOU need to be at so you can do what you need to do.

Regarding the size of linemen, I think there's a law of diminishing returns. I think the difference between a 275 pound lineman, (which used to be thought of as big), and a 250 pounder is less than the difference between a 250 pounder and a 225 pounder. I think the difference between 300 and 275 is less than that and that a 325 pounder is probably just an out of shape 300 pounder.

There's also the issue of height and body type. A 6-0, 275 guy isn't necessarily going to be better at 300 and a 6-5 guy can probably carry 300 easily. The important thing is to be at the weight YOU need to be at so you can do what you need to do.
I like how HCSS put it when he said he want's guys to be lean without sacrificing muscle. I think sometimes carrying extra weight makes it harder for other guys to move you around (like some of the NT in the NFL playing in a 3-4), but for the most part, being as lean as possible without sacrificing strength makes sense to me.

I like how HCSS put it when he said he want's guys to be lean without sacrificing muscle. I think sometimes carrying extra weight makes it harder for other guys to move you around (like some of the NT in the NFL playing in a 3-4), but for the most part, being as lean as possible without sacrificing strength makes sense to me.

"It also makes it harder for you to move around. Look at G-Rob's linemen. Also look at the Broncos, who for years lead the NFL in rushing with 280 pound guys when everybody else had 325 pounders. It's the muscle that makes it hard to move you, not the fat.

"It also makes it harder for you to move around. Look at G-Rob's linemen. Also look at the Broncos, who for years lead the NFL in rushing with 280 pound guys when everybody else had 325 pounders. It's the muscle that makes it hard to move you, not the fat.
I was thinking along the lines of Vince Wilfork who is known for being huge and unmovable. I also remember reading about an NFL D-lineman one time that lost weight and thought it hurt him because he got pushed around a little more (I don't remember who it was, it was a long time ago).

I wasn't trying to contradict you, I agree it's about muscle (I work in physical therapy and was a personal trainer), but I do think there are the exceptions to the rule. I love the reports that our guys are in shape and can move.