Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - For Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday For Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Syracuse News

15551899-mmmain.jpg

Broyld Says Goal for Training Camp is Controlling His Emotions (PS; Bailey)

After switching positions four times in two years, Ashton Broyld has now been working exclusively at wide receiver since the end of last season.

And at 6 feet, 3 inches, the rangy Syracuse athlete returns as one of quarterback Terrel Hunt's top targets, as well as a co-starter, per the pre-training camp depth chart.

Broyld said since this time last year — when he was working out at H-back — his conditioning and comfort level have improved exponentially.

"I'm about 1,000 times more comfortable," Broyld said on Monday. "I was lazy. I hated to run. Now I'm getting used to it and it's fun.

Prince Tyson-Gulley Aims to Shoulder More of the Load (Mink)

Syracuse will again have a range of options at running back this season, but there will be less stress if someone can establish himself as the primary ball carrier.

That chance is in front of Prince-Tyson Gulley as training camp moves into the first full-pads practice on Wednesday afternoon. He's a fifth-year senior with the most complete skillset of the group. And he was the guy offensive coordinator George McDonald hopes will be able to "carry the rock and really pick up where we left off with Jerome (Smith)."

Darius Kelly Has Been Holding Since High School (PS; Bailey)

Media members and fans may have been surprised that defensive back Darius Kelly is one of two candidates to replace Charley Loeb at holder.

But for Kelly, a senior, the job is old hat. He said he held at Buena (Sierra Vista, Ariz.,) High School and during his two seasons at Pima Community College before coming to SU in 2013.

And through all the years, he's never met another skill-position player used in that role.

"I've been doing it since high school, actually," Kelly said on Monday. "I did it a lot in high school, and I did it at my other school. It's just always come naturally to me. It's real easy.

Photo Gallery Training Camp Day 4 (PS)

Projecting Attendance For SU Football For 2014 (PS; Axe)

The Syracuse University football team has some numbers that need to improve in the 2014 season.

Just a few examples:

The Orange were 85th in total offense in 2013.

The passing offense ranked 102nd.

The Orange were 80th in the nation on third down.

ACC Football

Six ACC Games to Circle This Fall (PS; Stevens)

The start of the ACC's football season just 23 days away warrants a look at several subplots throughout the league. Up today are six league games (in chronological order) that have a decent chance to carry significant implications for both teams involved. Check back Wednesday for a half-dozen nonconference games of note.

Miami at Louisville, Sept. 1: It's Louisville's ACC debut, and who better for the Cardinals to begin play against than a Miami bunch it pummeled 36-9 in the Russell Athletic Bowl a little more than eight months earlier? Granted, Teddy Bridgewater isn't around to carve up The U again, but sophomore quarterback Will Gardner will have plenty of weapons and an exceptional offensive coach in Bobby Petrino to help prepare for what will likely be his first career start.

The Hurricanes, the tepid favorite of the bunched-up Coastal Division in last month's media vote at the ACC's kickoff event, can only hope this Labor Day game goes better than Al Golden's debut on the holiday did three years earlier at Maryland. If it doesn't, Miami might already be low on wiggle room in the Coastal. After all, it has to deal with Florida State.

Clemson at Florida State, Sept. 20: Speaking of the Seminoles, they open conference play in mid-September against Atlantic Division rival Clemson. Florida State has dropped a combined 100 points on the Tigers in their last two meetings, including last year's 51-14 thrashing in Death Valley.

Last edited:
If you missed Hard Knocks last night, you didn't really miss anything when it comes to Rome or Marquis: http://.com/hard-knocks-episode-i-syracuse-player-update/

If you missed Hard Knocks last night, you didn't really miss anything when it comes to Rome or Marquis: http://.com/hard-knocks-episode-i-syracuse-player-update/

Jekel: Great job on your site.

Jekel: Great job on your site.
Thanks man. We've got 3 cool Q&A's we are working on getting set up with three interesting people soon, too. Two should be up this month, and the biggest one we are hoping for late September.