Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

15611938-mmmain.jpg

Halleluyah! Beams Up at IPF (PS; Poliquin)

"In my mind, this is a Taj Majal," said Pete Sala, SU's senior associate athletics director for facilities. "It's going to be an absolutely beautiful, beautiful facility."

He was talking this morning about the new Orange football indoor practice compound — a state-of-the-art building featuring 87,000 square feet of FieldTurf that:

• Will cost tens of millions of dollars before the first blocking sled is hit,
  • Is scheduled to open on Dec. 1, or in plenty of time to allow Scott Shafer's club to practice for what would be the program's fourth bowl in five years, and
  • Should, and this is important, wow Syracuse recruits for a good long while.

SU Football IPF Under Construction (localsyr.com)

Construction is underway on a new indoor practice facility for the Syracuse Universityfootball team.

The new facility will have the same size field as the Carrier Dome, which the school says will allow practice conditions to better reflect a game.

"One of the biggest challenges we have with the Manley Field House facility is that it's only 80 yards. It's not as wide as the Carrier Dome, the way the field's configured in there. So it's tough for them to get 105 athletes in that space and carry on a practice. This is going to allow them to do that,” said Senior Associate Athletic Director Pete Sala.

School officials believe it will take about eight weeks to erect the shell of the building.

They hope to have the practice center completed by the first week in December.

George McDonald: 'This Camp Compared to Last Year's Camp is Totally Different' (PS; Mink)

"This camp compared to last year's camp is totally different because there's more familiarity," McDonald said. "And then everyone is kind of just stepping up and following the plan and then we'll get to Villanova and go out there and build on that.

"I've been pleased with the competition level with the receivers and the line. Those guys are really doing a good job. Terrel (Hunt) is doing a good job, and then the backup quarterbacks are really trying to step up and assert themselves also."

Thursday's scrimmage is another key evaluation day that will be used to help fill in the gaps as Syracuse pushes toward the 2014 season. McDonald was pleased with the level of enthusiasm and execution during Saturday's scrimmage at Fan Fest and is looking to continue that moving forward.

-e3672a1293ade8c2.jpg

Chauncey Scissum and Cordell Hudson

SU Football Players Go Through Five Military Simulation Stations at Fort Drum (Videos; PS; Bailey)

On Tuesday, the Syracuse players and coaches gave the Fort Drum military members a little lesson in athletic training.

On Wednesday, the script was flipped as players were put through the Leaders Recreation Course. The course is composed of five military field stations designed to simulate actual events soldiers face in the field. The members of the team who attended — half of the team spent the morning learning first aide and safety procedures, and will participate tomorrow — were split into six groupings of seven or eight players.

SU Frosh WR Corey Cooper Announces He Will Transfer on Instagram (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse freshman wide receiver Corey Cooper announced that he will transfer to another school on Instagram late Wednesday night.

Cooper thanked SU head coach Scott Shafer, the rest of the coaching staff and his teammates in a message.

Cooper, who was touted as a talented piece in SU's 2013 recruiting class, was initially academically disqualified before spending last fall at Jireh (Matthews, N.C.) Prep. He then came to SU in the spring before being joined by three 2014 freshmen receivers in Steve Ishmael, Jamal Custis and Adly Enoicy.

SU QB Coach Tim Lester on Backup Battle: 'I Was Hoping It Would be Done Already' (PS; Bailey)

Long threw nearly exclusively screens and short passes in the Fan Fest scrimmage. But this wasn't due to a partial playbook, Lester said. Rather, Long goes through his reads too quickly and often gets to the check-down back before letting the play develop. This is common in young quarterbacks.

Long missed one especially open receiver downfield during the Fan Fest scrimmage, but made good decisions with his short throws, Lester said.

His overall play during camp reminds Lester of the Terrel Hunt Lester first watched when he came to SU in January. One key for Long will be getting comfortable extending his throws farther down the field.

"AJ's had a couple really good days. but then he's had a couple really bad days," Lester said. "Whereas the other guys are kind of 50-50 every day. A couple good ones, a couple bad ones."

Wilson, who arguably looked the best of the backups in the Fan Fest scrimmage, has made the farthest strides since camp started, Lester said. And mostly, they've come in the mental department. His ability to throw the football has never been a concern, Lester said.

SU Frosh WR Jamal Custis Spends Time With Tight Ends (Observations From Fort Drum; PS; Bailey)

At 6 feet, 5 inches, freshman Jamal Custis is a unique target for the Syracuse offense. For the first couple weeks of training camp, he has worked primarily with the wide receivers during open portions of practice.

But on Wednesday, Custis jogged from his spot on the field-goal unit to a different positional group, the tight ends. He spent the full half-hour of open practice time working with Bobby Acosta's group.

Long continues to overthrow

Freshman quarterback AJ Long overthrew his target a few times during the open portion of practice on Wednesday.

While the majority of his throws have been on target, his misses have generally been high. The most glaring one on Wednesday came during a drill in which each quarterback threw 20 yards straightaway to a coach. One of his four attempts was a good 3 yards over the coach's outstretched hands.

Syracuse Football Learns About Army Life While Training at Fort Drum (ncaa.com)

In what is becoming a tradition for coach Scott Shafer's Syracuse team, the Orange are spending a few days an hour and a half north of campus at Fort Drum. The 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the United States Army is serving as host, as the players and soldiers participate in each other's training exercises.

"It's easy to feel sorry for yourself when you're in two-a-days, and I'd imagine the troops have those moments of weakness when they're in boot camp," Shafer said at Cuse.com. "But for our guys to sit across from the troops and realize, 'Hey, he's 21, I'm 21. He's up in the mountains of Afghanistan so I can go out and play football.'"

ACC Football News

Durell Eskridge's Journey Featured by ACC (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Syracuse Orange free safety Durell Eskridge is one of the top safeties in college football and considered a legit NFL draft talent. We know what he's done on the football field for SU but what most of us don't know is how he got here.

His journey began in one of the roughest parts of the country, the Liberty City neighborhood in Miami. Durell worked hard to make it out, and even though he's now 1,400 miles away at Syracuse, home is never far from his thoughts. The ACC profiled Durell over the weekend. In case you missed the video, watch it below and move Eskridge to the top of your Favorite SU Players list.

ACC Morning Links (ESPN; Adelson)

It is that time of year again, when Syracuse makes its annual pilgrimage to a military base 90 miles north of campus for part of fall practice.

The idea first began with former coach Doug Marrone three years ago and has continued on under current coach Scott Shafer, who said Tuesday the partnership between Syracuse and Fort Drum continues to strengthen. Players seem to get as much out of the stay as the soldiers on base.

During their first day together Tuesday, Syracuse strength and conditioning coach Will Hicksled a workout with Fort Drum soldiers. Players will participate in various military-themed challenges, and the coaching staff will meet with military leaders to go over team building ideas.

It is rare for college teams to take practice on the road, even rarer for teams to partner with the military for a portion of camp. But Syracuse has benefited greatly from the partnership. Not only are players outside their normal environment, they are learning from men and women who can help them keep football in perspective. Players share cramped quarters in barracks, and have no other choice but to get to know one another a little better.

ACC Football Preview: 6 Valuable Special Teams Assets for 2014 (PS; Stevens)

Roberto Aguayo, Florida State:
As a redshirt freshman, Aguayo made all 94 of his extra-point attempts went 21-for-22 on field goals and shattered predecessor Dustin Hopkins' ACC scoring record by 17 points, finishing with 157 points in 14 games. To top it off, he won the Groza Award and helped Florida State claim a national championship.

So what could he possibly do for an encore? It will be tough to do much better, but there's little doubt the best kicker in the conference (and the nation) does his work in Tallahassee.

DeVon Edwards, Duke: Another sophomore, Edwards earned some work last season as a defensive back and started seven games at safety. He was valuable there, bringing back a pair of interceptions for touchdowns, but became more renowned for his performance as the Blue Devils' kickoff returner.

Didn't Wilson play the best of the backups in the spring game, as well... Despite being listed 3rd by most reports? What's he need to do to move up? Is he stuck because he's less mobile than Mitch and AJ?

Didn't Wilson play the best of the backups in the spring game, as well... Despite being listed 3rd by most reports? What's he need to do to move up? Is he stuck because he's less mobile than Mitch and AJ?

I'm guessing that has something to do with it, GP. Sweeping generalization, but it might be a system fit issue--with Wilson being more like a Nassib than a dual threat.

As far as I'm concerned, may the best player win. With Edouard's future in doubt, I'm less confident about the situation post-Hunt than I was heading into summer camp.

I'm guessing that has something to do with it, GP. Sweeping generalization, but it might be a system fit issue--with Wilson being more like a Nassib than a dual threat.

As far as I'm concerned, may the best player win. With Edouard's future in doubt, I'm less confident about the situation post-Hunt than I was heading into summer camp

The consensus is that Wilson has the best arm (btw, so did Drew Allen and Matt Hale) but he's struggled with the playbook and lacks mobility. People need to keep in mind that in the Spring game he went against the 3's on defense including walk-on corners.

Personally, I want someone to "win" the number 2 spot rather than naming someone by default. If all QB's perform at their best, Kimble wins easily. As a true frosh he wowed the coaches and his ceiling is very high. He has struggled with consistency since recovering from his back injury.