Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17617855-mmmain.jpg

Marquise Blair, Destined For Greatness

Star Safety From SU Football Incoming Class Wins MVP in Ohio North-South Classic (PS; Bailey)

Saturday was a monumental day for Syracuse football recruiting.

The Orange landed its most important verbal commitment in recent program history when four-star running back Robert Washington pledged to Syracuse. And on a far less prominent, but still mildly encouraging note, Wooster (Ohio) High School safety signee Marquise Blair won Most Valuable Player at the Ohio North-South Classic.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Blair intercepted four passes for the North squad, coached by Wooster's Doug Haas, en route to a 24-14 victory.

"He was throwing them up, and I was just going up and getting them," Blair told At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.'s Ryan Ginn. "He was just looking the receivers down, and I was just waiting for him to throw it."

The only four-star recruit in the Orange's 2015 class, according to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., Blair could provide some much-needed depth for SU if he can qualify academically. The Orange has just three scholarship safeties with sophomore Antwan Cordy converting from cornerback this spring and winning the starting strong safety job.

16557332-standard.jpg

Former Local Standout Sean Hickey Has Good Shot to be Drafted (post-gazette.com; White)

Sean Hickey said some NFL teams like him as an offensive tackle and some as a guard. A few believe he could play both.

But while his future position might be uncertain, Hickey is fairly certain his name will be called at some point in the NFL draft.

Hickey is a graduate of Franklin Regional High School who played at Syracuse University. Among former WPIAL players not from Pitt and Penn State, Hickey looks like he might be the best prospect for the draft.

“From all the feedback I’m receiving, I feel strongly that I will be drafted,” Hickey said. “Where I will be taken depends on some of the teams. But kind of from what I’m hearing, maybe in something like the middle rounds.”

Hickey is rated by some draft sites as a fourth-to-sixth-round selection. Joe Butler runs Metro Index, a high school scouting service in Pittsburgh, and also evaluates NFL prospects for Inside The League, a website and consulting service for professional football.

“Sean Hickey really had a nice career at Syracuse,” said Butler. “Let’s put it this way: The top 100 players are guys who will go in the first three rounds. Players 100 to 200 are the next three rounds. He’s that type of guy, a 100 to 200 player.”

Hickey, who is 6 feet 5½, 309 pounds, thought about making himself available for the draft after his redshirt junior season. He was projected then as a possible middle-round selection. But Hickey decided to come back to Syracuse for his fifth year. Although his draft status seems to remain unchanged, he believes the extra year of college helped.

042715_S_Ensley_MichaelCole_SP.jpg

Year in Sports: Ensley Athletic Center Enhances Practices, Improves Programs in First Few Months (DO; D'Abbraccio)

The long-awaited completion of the Ensley Athletic Center came in December after seven months of construction.

Plans for the indoor practice facility, which is located near Manley Field House, the outdoor practice fields and SU Soccer Stadium, were announced in February 2013. The building — which was projected to cost $17 million when the plans were first announced — is named after Cliff Ensley, a three-sport SU athlete in the late 1960s who donated to the project.

While the Syracuse football program is the primary tenant of the new facility, four months into its existence, the Ensley Athletic Center has strengthened recruiting pitches and provided improvements for other athletic programs that no longer have to compromise their indoor practices on Manley Field House’s smaller turf field.

Football

In Manley Field House, there was only room for one unit to use the field at once. The Syracuse defense would have to wait while the offense used the field, and vice versa.

Next step in expansion: ACC Global (News&Observer)

At next month’s ACC spring meetings, commissioner John Swofford says the conference will continue conversations among its “very interested” university presidents and athletic directors about “ACC Global,” a vehicle for “marketing and branding our institutions through some athletic competition.” Swofford expects to announce league athletic events overseas in “the reasonably near future” – a football game in Europe to start a season is a likely candidate for early action...

Next step in expansion: ACC Global (News&Observer)

At next month’s ACC spring meetings, commissioner John Swofford says the conference will continue conversations among its “very interested” university presidents and athletic directors about “ACC Global,” a vehicle for “marketing and branding our institutions through some athletic competition.” Swofford expects to announce league athletic events overseas in “the reasonably near future” – a football game in Europe to start a season is a likely candidate for early action...
I volunteer to have all the BC-SU football games scheduled to be played at Chestnut Hill moved to Dublin instead. Based on what I have seen, most of the people that attend that game will be too busy eating their cheese and drinking their wine to notice that the game is being played in Ireland.

a2.jpg

I volunteer to have all the BC-SU football games scheduled to be played at Chestnut Hill moved to Dublin instead. Based on what I have seen, most of the people that attend that game will be too busy eating their cheese and drinking their wine to notice that the game is being played in Ireland.

a2.jpg

I think we should play a game in Sicily... where else should L'Universita da Siracusa play. It would be like a home game.

I think we should play a game in Sicily... where else should L'Universita da Siracusa play. It would be like a home game.
A great place to engineer a home stand against a superior opponent. Worth its weight in gold.

a2.jpg

They drink wine in Ireland?

image.jpg

This was really interesting. I knew Robert was going to try to get some guys to follow him, but I didn't realize he had so many legit close connections to so many guys.