Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Indian-Pudding.png

Welcome to National Indian Pudding Day!

National Indian Pudding Day is a day to enjoy puddings created by native American Indians.

It seems appropriate to hold this day in mid November, as we approach Thanksgiving. Native American Indians were very much a part of the first Thanksgiving feast. It is quite likely that these puddings were served, and enjoyed, at that first Thanksgiving.

American Indian puddings are defined as a number recipes of native American Indian origin. Generally, they include molasses and cornmeal. Apples were often an ingredient. They were usually baked.

Make sure to enjoy your American heritage, and a dish or bowl of Indian pudding, as you celebrateNational Indian Pudding Day.

SU News

3896102695_3259006600_z.0.0.jpg

Should We Build Statues to People While They're Still Alive? (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Dick Vitale has been lobbying for years for Syracuse University to build a statue for legendary Orange coach Jim Boeheim. If anyone in Syracuse is going to be worthy of such an honor, it's probably James Arthur. Syracuse Basketball was pretty good before he took over the program but in the 35+ years since the entire program has become intrinsically-linked to him. Every head coach who works here will do so with his shadow looming large over them.

Naturally, we thought it was a terrible idea.

Not because Boeheim isn't deserving. But because his story is still being told. It's a story with a lot of wins, a bunch of Final Fours, a National Title and a slew of amazing community & charity work. It's also a story that includes NCAA violations and God-knows-what skeletons still hanging in Bernie Fine's closet.

As I talked about in that piece, we seem to be going through a reckoning of sorts when it comes to our athletic heroes and how, ultimately, we don't really know them. Dave Meggett was one of my heroes growing up, a diminutive runner who made watching New York Giants football unpredictable and exciting. What I didn't know at the time was that Meggett was a serial rapist. But if I had seen him on the street, I would have asked for his autograph, shook his hand and posed for a photo, all the while thinking he was the most amazing guy in the world.

The last couple decades have given us countless examples of icons and heroes who turned out to be cheaters, liars and, perhaps worst of all, weak men who said nothing when all they had to do was say anything.

Joe Paterno. Lance Armstrong. Mark McGwire. Pete Rose. Rae Carruth. Aaron Hernandez. O.J. Simpson. Roger Clemens. Tiger Woods.

Opponent Film Preview: Scouting Syracuse (shakinthesouthland.com; Craft)

Mid-November is a wonderful time of year to visit Upstate New York. Unfortunately, I'll miss all the Jim Beoheim fun at Denny's up there since I've allocated my holiday travel to a Caribbean cruise the week of Thanksgiving -- but believe me I'd rather be in Syracuse since I love me some good HOT DOME.

Saturday is yet another game in which we don't know for certain who will play quarterback against the Clemson Tigers, although another head injury for Eric Dungey all but confirms Zach Mahoney will start. Seriously, this uncertainty makes my life a lot harder than it does Brent Venables'. He already has plans for every contingency, while I have to watch even more bad football just to prepare for this column. At least when I have to prepare for South Carolina's quarterback carousel, I will enjoy every second of their bad football. Given the likelihood that Dungey will not play, I chose to focus on the Syracuse offense under Mahoney alone:

Nov_11__2015_14_46.0.gif

Oh what fun.

Syracuse Offense

The Cuse offense operates primarily from the 113 Pistol and focuses on establishing the run, particularly with a lot of zone read and triple option. Unfortunately for Syracuse, Mahoney is not as effective a runner as the injured Tyrell Hunt or Eric Dungey. Cuse will still run, and hopes for enough success to open the play-action passing game in an effort to find easier throws for the talent-deficient Mahoney.

Syracuse employs an interesting wrinkle on the triple option that is actually rather similar to Georgia Tech's version, albeit from the pistol and without the cut blocks. Syracuse will employ 2 tight ends as H-backs and use them how GT uses A-backs, with orbit motion before the snap. Mahoney reads the weak side DE and gives to the dive, but watch the H-back orbit like a GT A-back for a potential pitch should Mahoney keep the ball:

Nov_12__2015_12_11.0.gif

Other

-dbcbecdd07200f27.JPG

VP Joe Biden SU Speech Urges People to 'Have the Gumption to Step In' (PS; Breidenbach)

With a voice that softened to a whisper, then boomed like the nation's Dad, Vice President Joe Biden called on the Syracuse University community Thursday to take responsibility for sexual assault on campus.

"No consent means no, whether you're conscious or unconscious," Biden said as part of the "It's on Us" campaign he has taken to colleges across the country.

Biden spoke almost in a whisper when he shared the stories of rape survivors he met when he was working to pass the Violence Against Women Act 21 years ago.

His voice boomed into the microphone at Goldstein Auditorium when he told the men and women, but mostly men, to report what they see and stand up for victims.

It's not complicated, he said.

"Have the gumption to step in, tell him, expose him, save him. Have the nerve," Biden roared. "Look at that young woman as if she were your sister or your mother. You know it's wrong. You know."

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU 3m3 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
Syracuse FB stats in ACC: Brisly Estime 5th in all-purpose yards (119.6), Eric Dungey 7th in pass efficiency (136.6).

Steve Ishmael 10th in ACC in yards per catch (15.3), Brisly Estime 1st in punt return TDs (2), Zaire Franklin 20th in tackles (58)

Ron Thompson 5th in ACC in sacks (6) and 2nd in fumbles forced (3), Antwan Cordy 4th in fumbles recovered (2),