Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
thanksgiving1.jpg

Welcome to Blackout Wednesday!

Blackout Wednesday or "Drinksgiving" is the night before the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States, which is always a Thursday. It is associated with binge drinking since very few people work on Thanksgiving, and most university students are home to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday with their families.[1] The name refers to "blacking out", memory loss due to excessive alcohol intoxication. In the suburbs of Chicago in particular, Blackout Wednesday is sometimes a more popular partying night than even New Year's Eve or Saint Patrick's Day.[1] In some cities it is the top drunk drivingnight of the year.[2]

SU News

usa-today-8781300.0.jpg

SU Football: Correlation Does Not Imply Causation (TNIAAM; Keeley)

It's easy to look at the last 15 years of Syracuse Football and see a lost cause. However, the truth isn't so simple and the reality is that the future is not beholden to the past.

Ed Note - I am a words guy and I am definitely not a math guy. So don't rake me over the coals if I'm not using that statistical phrase in the title 100% correctly. You know what I mean, jerk.

Syracuse Orange football is bad. The proof? Because it's been bad.

That seems to be the gist of what I'm hearing from a lot of folks and I mostly can't argue it. If college football fandom is a study in the short-term, then the national perspective on a regional college football team is boiled down even more to it's essences.

Syracuse's recent eight-win seasons and three bowl victories have been gobbled up by all of the misery and bad nationally-televised games that came before and after them. They cease to exist in the big picture that is Syracuse Football.

SU certainly doesn't do itself any favors in this department either.

So I'm not surprised to hear Pete Thamel say Syracuse is the worst job in the ACC or that others think SU is a middle-of-the-road job at best. Even Don McPherson is once again talking about how there is a much lower ceiling on Syracuse's potential than most of us care to appreciate.

But Don also played for an undefeated team while at Syracuse. I know, that was a long time ago and the college football landscape has changed drastically in the years since. But for those Orange fans who were here in 1987 and for those of us that were here in the late 90's, we know there's a fine line between realistic expectations and "correlation implies causation."

"Syracuse Football has been mostly terrible since 2000. Therefore, Syracuse Football will always be terrible."

usa-today-8925846.0.jpg

SU Football Recruiting: The Fallout From the Firing So Far (TNIAAM; Pilatzke)

Coach Shafer's dismissal creates a lot of question marks for the 2016 recruiting class and beyond.

When a recruit decides to commits to a school, the head coach is a major factor in that decision. The strength of the relationship with that coach, the system his offense or defense utilizes, and that coach's prestige within the college football word all affect a recruit's decision. On Monday, all fifteen verbal commitment for the Syracuse Orange were without a head coach.

The reaction from the Class of 2016 has been fairly muted. Most seem to have adopted a wait and see approach. With the exception of Rex Culpepper and Brandon Ginnetti, who have signed their financial aid paperwork, the next head coach could withdraw the scholarship offer to each recruit.

Moe Neal, one of the most heralded recruits in this class, has said that he is still committed to Syracuse University, but will wait to hear from the next head coach. However, the vultures are circling, as Neal has already heard from both Boston College and Wake Forest (who was in Neal's top 2 with Syracuse) since Shafer has been dismissed.

Rex Culpepper also still "loves Syracuse", but will wait and see what happens at Syracuse after Shafer's dismissal. Rex's father, Brad Culpepper, indicated that he thought that the quarterback situation at Syracuse was still a good opportunity for Rex to come in and compete for playing time. While Culpepper has signed his financial aid paperwork, and is guaranteed to be have a scholarship, Rex would only attend Syracuse if the next coach wanted Rex, according to the elder Culpepper.

Both Camden defensive end Jamal Holloway & Allentown Pennsylvania offensive tackle Noel Brouse had no comment when asked about their respective commitment to Syracuse. Both indicated that they were focused on trying to win their respective state championships.

Wisconsin offensive tackle Sam Heckel said that he wants to "see SU's new staff" before he makes any decisions with respect to his future, according the The Fizz. Fellow offensive lineman Cam DeGeorge echoed Heckel's sentiment, saying that it is too soon to tell where he stands with Syracuse.

Other

Walmart Cyber Monday 2015: Online Shopping Deals Begin Sunday This Year (PS; Axelson)

Black Friday has continued its unstoppable march outside the confines of Friday this year, and now it looks like Cyber Monday might follow suit.

Walmart is extending its Cyber Monday online deals to begin at 8 p.m. on Sunday, November 29, hoping to attract shoppers looking for deals before they head back to work on Monday, ABC News reported.

"It can be exhausting for working parents and millennials to stay up past midnight to shop online, only to wake up early the next day to get ready for work," Fernando Madeira, president and CEO of Walmart.com, said in a press release. "By starting 'Cyber Monday' hours earlier on Sunday evening and quadrupling the number of Cyber Monday specials, we're making it easier for customers to get ahead of the busiest online shopping day of the year and save on the best gifts."

Walmart will release it's full list of 2,000 Cyber Monday deals at 8 p.m. on Sunday, but it teased a few of its specials early, including:

• An LG 65-inch 4K television for $799
  • A Microsoft Surface Pro 3 for $599
  • An Air Hogs Video Drone for $75
Walmart and other stores are already pushing the boundaries of Black Friday by extending deals well before and after the day, and even opening on Thanksgiving Thursday.

Walmart and Amazon both began offering some holiday shopping deals in the first week of November, and Amazon is planning to extend its deals all the way to December 9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom