Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
t1larg.chowder.jpg

Welcome to National New England Clam Chowder Day!

It’s New England Clam Chowder Day! Chowders originated in fishing villages on the coast of France in the 16th century. Back then any kind of fish chowder was considered a poor man’s dish. Most recipes called for salt pork and biscuits, which were both part of a standard sailor’s ration. Today, we’ve substituted the biscuits (also known as hardtack) for salty crackers!

There are many different varieties of clam chowder including New England, Manhattan, Rhode Island, Down East, and Outer Banks. New England clam chowder is made with milk or cream, and the use of tomatoes is frowned upon. In fact, in 1939 the state of Maine made it illegal to put tomatoes in clam chowder!

Celebrate this great culinary tradition and enjoy a bowl of delicious chowder in honor of New England Clam Chowder Day!

SU News

650x366

Devon Clarke Makes the Grade, Commits to Syracuse (orlandosentinel.com; Hays)

Devon Clarke committed to the University of Syracuse's 2016 football recruiting class on Sunday during an official visit to the New York school.

"It feels good to finally be committed to Syracuse," said Clarke, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound safety at Kissimmee Osceola High.

Committing to the Orangemen, however, wasn't exactly Clarke's biggest accomplishment within the past month.

He had tried previously to commit to Syracuse late last year during Kissimmee Osceola's run to the Class 8A state title game.

There were two issues, however.

The Syracuse coaching staff at that time was on the hot seat and eventually head coach Scott Shafer was fired. The other issue was Clarke's qualifying marks. He had yet to gain a high enough score on his college entrance exam to reach NCAA requirements and it further prolonged his limbo status as he looked for his future school.

Two days before Christmas, however, that all changed. He had taken the ACT three times, and he finally got what he neded as a qualifying score.

"I saw my score online and I jumped out of bed and showed my grandma," Clarke said Monday, with excitement still in his voice. "She was happy for me, real happy."

4JZ_MHS_vs_WALTON_08.jpg

Josh White

Recruiting Roundup: SU Football to Host Josh White, Michael Clark (the juice; Cheng)

Interesting read from ACC Sports detailing the end of the Duke-Syracuse game, which breaks down every ‘amazing’ call. And with that, let’s move to today’s recruiting news…

Syracuse offered two-star wide receiver/safety Devin Butler on Tuesday evening, he announced on Twitter. The District (Md.) Heights prospect also holds offers from Maryland and Eastern Michigan. Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey reports that Butler will take an official visit to Syracuse this weekend.

Three-star offensive lineman Michael Clark recently decommitted from Maryland, and will take a visit to Syracuse this weekend, reports ’s Scott Brown. He also holds offers from Wake Forest, West Virginia and Rutgers.

2017 Dillard (Fla.) defensive end Jordan Wright tweeted on Wednesday that he received an offer from Syracuse. He also holds offers from Arkansas, Louisville, Miami and UNC.

Syracuse had an in-home visit with two-star athlete Josh White according to Walton Recruiting. The Peach State prospect holds offers from Mississippi State, Navy and Air Force, among others. According to Brown, he is being recruited as a defensive end, and White added on Twitter that he will be visiting Syracuse on the 29th.

At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Mike McAllister reports that Syracuse extended an offer to Hyattsville (MD) DeMatha wide receiver DJ Turner. The three-star prospect is currently committed to Maryland, and also holds offers from Umass, Navy and Old Dominion.

CWN6jNrXIAAHNSk.jpg

SU Football Recruiting: Culpepper, Neal and Ruff Arrive on Campus (TNIAAM; Pilatzke)

In the world of recruiting, very little is set in stone prior to National Signing Day. However, the Syracuse Orange have at least three recruits for the 2016 Class they are certain about because they've already enrolled.

Rex Culpepper is the lone QB in the recruiting class at this point after Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year Lindsey Scott de-committed to pursue other opportunities. Culpepper is a consensus three-star recruit, measuring in at 6'3", 225 lbs. and hailing from Plant High School in Tampa, Florida. Culpepper committed to Syracuse in June but then torn his ACL in July prior to his senior year at Plant. Culpepper had an offer list that include the likes of Florida, Clemson, Ohio State, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech and West Virginia among others.

Once Coach Babers was hired, the new coaching staff made it a point to keep Culpepper on board, including a in-home visit the week the coaching staff took over. Culpepper has been rehabbing since the injury and expects to be able to participate fully in Spring practice.

Moe Neal was recruited as a hybrid back in Offensive Coordinator Tim Lester's system. When Coach Babers took over, his staff met with Neal to assure Neal there was a place for him in the new offense. Neal is the most highly rated recruit in the 2016 class. He is a 5'11" 160 lbs. all purpose running back and athlete. He will line up as both a running back and in the slot in Coach Babers' offense.

Kenneth Ruff was the first recruit the new coaching staff was able to "flip" from another program. Ruff was verbally committed to Virginia prior to switching to Syracuse. Chris Beatty, who was a running back coach at Virginia, may have assisted the Orange in acquiring Ruff's services, even if Beatty moved on the Maryland with former UVA Head Coach Mike London after working with the Orange for less than a month. Syracuse landing Ruff signaled a shift in defensive philosophy from speedy, undersized middle linebackers to bigger linebackers like Ruff.

LSU Fans Discuss Lindsey Scott (tigerdroppings.com)

Great interview with Lindsey Scott's coach, David brewerton

LINK

On mobile. Hope link works. I urge everyone to listen.

re: Great interview with Lindsey Scott's coach, David brewerton(Posted on 1/20/16 at 9:17 pm to Duckie)
I know this is gonna sound lazy, but honestly man I'm just hoping somebody post cliffs. I don't even wanna listen to it, but I wanna know what it says. Sorry

quote:
I know this is gonna sound lazy, but honestly man I'm just hoping somebody post cliffs. I don't even wanna listen to it, but I wanna know what it says. Sorry

This

re: Great interview with Lindsey Scott's coach, David brewerton(Posted on 1/20/16 at 9:28 pm to GWfool)
Zachary's coach says Lindsey Scott is the GOAT!

re: Great interview with Lindsey Scott's coach, David brewerton(Posted on 1/20/16 at 9:28 pm to GWfool)
Listened to it, good interview, too lazy to post cliffs.

College Football

dumpster-fire_medium.jpg

Rutgers Football Death Spiral Accelerates Under Ash (app.com; Dunleavy)

In 2012, days after Schiano left to be a NFL head coach and assistant Kyle Flood took over, Rutgers signed the No. 24 class in the nation, including five of the top nine in-state recruits.

From 2013-15, Flood signed one Top 10-ranked in-state recruit out of a possible 30. Rutgers has 12 commits – none higher than No. 18 in New Jersey – following the Flood-Ash transition.

Is this the North Carolina model?
Admit whoever you want and make sure they graduate.
It is an interesting concept but would require the NCAA to shift their policing more from pre to post admission enforcement. This would indeed place the onus on the school but would force the NCAA to actually penalize institutions who behave such as North Carolina. So more things, academically and athletically, would fall under the NCAA "scope".

Good to see Manley still being used for its original purpose. :)