For such a horrible b-ball conference | Syracusefan.com

For such a horrible b-ball conference

Quazzum69

Stable Genius
The SEC has an awful lot of teams in the Sweet 16. Guess they're not just a football conference.

(Can we count Louisville as half a team this year?)

Top heavy conference imho. 3 teams does not make an entire conference.

The SEC has an awful lot of teams in the Sweet 16. Guess they're not just a football conference.

The bracket fell Tennessee's way...the other two have great talent.

They're doing better so far than the ACC, VA notwithstanding.

ACC has spit the bed. UVA doesn't win this game vs. Memphis and we're blanked in the S16.

AAC would have 3 teams. ugh.

Top heavy conference imho. 3 teams does not make an entire conference.

The same could be said about the ACC: SU, Duke, UNC, Louisville, with UVA/Pitt/random team that have good years.

All year so many people joked about SEC basketball as if the ACC was significantly better. Who knows if next year will be any different with the ACC. What if Virginia turns out to be another Miami situation where they drop off a cliff next year?

Did a quick search of ESPN recruiting for 2014 - seven SEC schools are in the top 40 top classes (ACC also has seven total with three of the top four but they are Duke, UNC and Louisville). I don't see how teams with monster athletic budgets like LSU, Bama or Auburn - especially with Pearl there - couldn't be comparable to the ACC's "middle class" of Pitt, Notre Dame, etc.

The same could be said about the ACC: SU, Duke, UNC, Louisville, with UVA/Pitt/random team that have good years.

All year so many people joked about SEC basketball as if the ACC was significantly better. Who knows if next year will be any different with the ACC. What if Virginia turns out to be another Miami situation where they drop off a cliff next year?

Did a quick search of ESPN recruiting for 2014 - seven SEC schools are in the top 40 top classes (ACC also has seven total with three of the top four but they are Duke, UNC and Louisville). I don't see how teams with monster athletic budgets like LSU, Bama or Auburn - especially with Pearl there - couldn't be comparable to the ACC's "middle class" of Pitt, Notre Dame, etc.
The thing is, SEC fans really don't give a crap about basketball other than Kentucky fans. Football is their religion. That's not the case in the ACC.

The SEC is a 2 team league and has been for years with UK and Florida. Tenn got an Iowa team that was in a spiral for weeks and was lucky to get an invite and fluke Mercer that shot its load against Duke.

The committee really loaded up Wichita state's bracket. They played a great game but had the misfortune to run into a Kentucky
team that lived up to their potential. That game was of final 4 quality.

I laughed at the 40-0 shirts for UK, but I'd rather have been laughed at in December than sitting home in March.

We knew the ACC was weak this season. The Tourney proves it.

Ranking the conferences via sweet 16 (percentage of teams):

1. Big Ten - 3 (25%)
1. Pac 12 - 3 (25%)
3. SEC - 3 (21.4%)
4. Big 12 - 2 (20%)
4. American - 2 (20%)
6. Mountain West - 1 (9.1%)
7. Atlantic 10 - 1 (7.7%)
8. ACC - 1 (6.7%)

The notable dregs (shutout)...

Big East - 0
West Coast - 0
Missouri Valley - 0
MAC - 0
CUSA - 0
Horizon - 0
Colonial - 0

i don't think arky and mizzou are thaaaaat bad

think the media's perception of the conference definitely hurts the SEC's "middle of the road" teams

i'd imagine the conf will get stronger as Frank Martin, Bruce Pearl, Anthony Grant, Frank Haith build out their programs

Those 3 teams are good. The other 11 are garbage

Better than expected. I think people like to pile on the SEC in basketball because they're so sick of hearing about the football dominance. Still rather have an SEC team win it all than a B1G or UConn.

The SEC is a 2 team league and has been for years with UK and Florida. Tenn got an Iowa team that was in a spiral for weeks and was lucky to get an invite and fluke Mercer that shot its load against Duke.
Before Donovan and for a little while with Arkansas, they SEC has always been Kentucky, and its foil.

Better than expected. I think people like to pile on the SEC in basketball because they're so sick of hearing about the football dominance. Still rather have an SEC team win it all than a B1G or UConn.
Those are the 3 things that suck the most about this tournament. We lost, after that happened I went all in for Wich St. I am still pissed over that game, primarily because Kentucky is still in and we are not. Same with UConn.. Why are they still playing and we are not? Thats not right.
Whatever spirit, Karma, whatever is in charge of the preternal determination, really messed me up in hoops this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom