For the locals ... does this change your view of the Meadowlands games? | Syracusefan.com

For the locals ... does this change your view of the Meadowlands games?

CuyahogaCuse

2nd String
Just back from USC. A great time in SoCal, despite the loss. Been thinking about next year in the Meadowlands. I think we're not too far away. Not sure we can get the W next year, but yesterday was so much better than the 0-51 drubbings I travelled to in the past. As I posted on Friday, the trajectory for the Orange is up.

Anyway, regarding the Meadowlands/Dome games, now USF, Cincy, Louisville, WVU home games will be replaced by Miami, VTech, Clemson, Maryland, etc. Does this soften the blow of having PSU, ND and USC shipped to the Swamp?

We also loose WVU, and it would depend on how often we get those teams may just be trading Va Tech for WVU who we had a better history with. Remember 2 divisions might end up with Miami Clemson in South us in north. Md is better historically but doesn't mean that much YET. My whole complaint with the Meadowlands wasn't the games there just how many we were selling off home field for. Granted we do not have all the details as to what the amount of $ are associated etc. but I always thought by saying until after Marrone retires the BIG OOC games will be away is just saying tiy do not think this program will ever reach that level. By the way I was there for the Nebraska game, the PSU games etc, quite an experience, one that I think belongs on campus.

Just back from USC. A great time in SoCal, despite the loss. Been thinking about next year in the Meadowlands. I think we're not too far away. Not sure we can get the W next year, but yesterday was so much better than the 0-51 drubbings I travelled to in the past. As I posted on Friday, the trajectory for the Orange is up.

Anyway, regarding the Meadowlands/Dome games, now USF, Cincy, Louisville, WVU home games will be replaced by Miami, VTech, Clemson, Maryland, etc. Does this soften the blow of having PSU, ND and USC shipped to the Swamp?

Not at all.

Don't ask that to the CNYers -- they aren't into that whole travelling thing, right Bees :cool:

Just not for home games ;)

By the looks of the attendance the last 8 years, I think CNY fans have plenty of trouble even finding their way to Irving Avenue. Boo freakin' hoo to the locals on this one.

Well, let's just say before 3 years ago it really didn't have anything worth going to see, saw better effort on the high school gridiron, and many thought as they scheduled and expected people to go to games like Maine, Colgate Rhode Island etc, and than say USC which was originally scheduled for home, but the big one that will likely take some time to recover from is the 20 year deal going to 2038. Has nothing to do with me I have been going all along, but from some peoples perspective home games should really be...well ...home

By the looks of the attendance the last 8 years, I think CNY fans have plenty of trouble even finding their way to Irving Avenue. Boo freakin' hoo to the locals on this one.

Are some saying the answer to 35K in the Dome is to drive it even further down?

In a word, "Yes."

Don't ask that to the CNYers -- they aren't into that whole travelling thing, right Bees :cool:

What does traveling have to do with anything? That wasn't even part of the question which had to do with opponents in the Dome and Dome attendance.

In a word, "Yes."

Dude, you don't count, you're not a "local". You travel to most games anyways (kudos to you!) and are probably as close to the Meadowlands as you are to the Dome (don't know exactly where in PA you live).

If this is how we ensure survival, absolutely.

Actually, with us being in the ACC now, I see less of a need to move the 15 biggest OOC games to the Meadowlands.

Not at all.

I think that adding Miami (former rival), Va Tech (former rival), BC (former rival), Maryland (former rival) Florida State, Ga Tech, North Carolina, NC State, et al will improve home attendance.

If we consistently draw 50,000 to home games, there will be less talk of having to move games to the Meadowlands.

This will help.

Dude, you don't count, you're not a "local". You travel to most games anyways (kudos to you!) and are probably as close to the Meadowlands as you are to the Dome (don't know exactly where in PA you live).
I live a few blocks from Villanova, outside Philly.

And, yes, I'm closer to the Meadowlands than the Dome.

But there is obviously more to the equation than miles. My family and much of my life are in CNY. I go to the games with my dad and my friens who live in CNY. I go to the Dark Horse, Heid's, BC's and Pascal's after the games etc.

So, I'm still a local for these purposes.

I think that adding Miami (former rival), Va Tech (former rival), BC (former rival), Maryland (former rival) Florida State, Ga Tech, North Carolina, NC State, et al will improve home attendance.

If we consistently draw 50,000 to home games, there will be less talk of having to move games to the Meadowlands.

This will help.

We couldn't draw 50,000 to home games when we used to play Miami, Va Tech, BC, etc...

Attendance for the 2004 game against FSU was 40,539.

Actually, with us being in the ACC now, I see less of a need to move the 15 biggest OOC games to the Meadowlands.
One had to wonder if the Meadowlands site will be used for more 1-1-1 arrangements (see PSU) vs. the ND and USC setup (1 away, 1 in NJ).

Anyway, as some have indicated above, the lack of attractive Dome opponents and less than stellar on field product has hurt the crowd numbers. With the steady return of some historical bigger names (BC, Miami, VT) to the home schedule and the occasional chance to see FSU/Clemson -- all instead of a steady diet of Bearcats, Cardinals and Bulls -- does it soften the blow of not seeing some of the other big names?

Regardless of one's opinion on the NJ scheduling, the "program building" days for SU are over. With that comes better home matchups.

We couldn't draw 50,000 to home games when we used to play Miami, Va Tech, BC, etc...

Man, you're tough.

First. I don't know if we'll draw 50,000, but I do think we should make the effort, don't you?

Second, what I said was that the likes of Va Tech, Miami and BC will help move the ball in that direction. Obviously, there are no assurances that 50,000 will show up on day one.

Third, when McNabb was here the team drew very well - in the high 40,000s.

I think that the ACC gives us the best chance of getting back there - and avoiding the prospect of having to play in the Meadowlands - that's the point.

One had to wonder if the Meadowlands site will be used for more 1-1-1 arrangements (see PSU) vs. the ND and USC setup (1 away, 1 in NJ).

Anyway, as some have indicated above, the lack of attractive Dome opponents and less than stellar on field product has hurt the crowd numbers. With the steady return of some historical bigger names (BC, Miami, VT) to the home schedule and the occasional chance to see FSU/Clemson -- all instead of a steady diet of Bearcats, Cardinals and Bulls -- does it soften the blow of not seeing some of the other big names?

Regardless of one's opinion on the NJ scheduling, the "program building" days for SU are over. With that comes better home matchups.

No problem with 1-1-1. Time will tell I guess. With the ACC I assume we will get more $$$ so the need for the Meadowlands from a $$$ is lessened and being in the ACC should carry a little more cache than the BE so getting big names in the Dome should be a bit easier. I have no problem with the one offs. My problem has been with the sheer number of 15 and you know they will be the big games. We aren't playing RI in the Meadowlands.

Man, you're tough.

First. I don't know if we'll draw 50,000, but I do think we should make the effort, don't you?

Second, what I said was that the likes of Va Tech, Miami and BC will help move the ball in that direction. Obviously, there are no assurances that 50,000 will show up on day one.

I think that the ACC gives us the best chance of getting back there - and avoiding the prospect of having to play in the Meadowlands - that's the point.

I absolutely agree that Miami, VT, FSU will draw better than Lville, Cincy, etc. But that isn't really the point in regards to the Meadowland games.

The point is that if we can develope a solid home attendance record, we will lessen the need to take the Orange on the road to the Meadowlands for home games.

Cuse was already in the downward spiral by 2004.

Check the attendance from the mid 1980's through the McNabb years.

My four years on the Hill ('89-'92) games in the Dome were consistently PACKED.

I've read this entire thread to now (all 23 posts to now) and one thing NO ONE has mentioned is that the Meadowlands games also help the NY Metro alumni who've lost "local easy access" to upwards of 4 hoops games (Rutgers, Hall, SJU, UCONN) and 2 football games (Rutgers, UCONN) in any given season.

This group of alumnus (arguably) donates more $$$$ to the Cuse athletic dept. than alumni from ANY OTHER AREA. (Syracuse metro included)

That alone is reason enough to continue scheduling one football and one hoops game in the NY metro area every year.

This coming from a "West Coaster".

Man, you're tough.

Meadowlands is a done deal until 2038, hopefully like someone else said it will be for 1-1-1 series or 1 time games instead of away & NJ