For those who feel it's worth some losses to develop the bench, is it worth sacrificing MSG? | Syracusefan.com

For those who feel it's worth some losses to develop the bench, is it worth sacrificing MSG?

thebigeast44

Starter
Not to me. Getting MSG could be key to us getting to the FF4. Not worth risking a loss IMHO to say Maryland or Florida State to get more minutes for Roberson. We lose a game like that and a number one seed could be in jeopardy.

Boeheim is on record as saying he wanted more time for Roberson.

But when the game is on expect Boeheim to revert to his core belief ... winning is everything.

He'll use Roberson of he needs to to spell a player ... never to develop him. Unless, of course, he has a comfortable margin.

I don' see any comfortable margins developing in the near future.

Play your best as long as you can. Period. You need one big and one guard/wing off the bench. Gbinije gives us flexibility as he can play 3 positions, thus leaving us with a 7 man rotation. Boeheim teams rarely have more than 8, so we're right where we usually are.

Play your best as long as you can. Period. You need one big and one guard/wing off the bench. Gbinije gives us flexibility as he can play 3 positions, thus leaving us with a 7 man rotation. Boeheim teams rarely have more than 8, so we're right where we usually are.

I'd argue that Gbinije has been a weaker 6th man than the more recent more successful JB team's have had. I think that is part of the reason for the clamor to see Roberson get some minutes.....well, that and the injury to Keita.

Not to me. Getting MSG could be key to us getting to the FF4. Not worth risking a loss IMHO to say Maryland or Florida State to get more minutes for Roberson. We lose a game like that and a number one seed could be in jeopardy.

You're assuming we lose if Roberson plays. He played a solid 5 mins vs Duke and MG played 12. It was our best offensive performance all year.

He'll use Roberson of he needs to to spell a player ... never to develop him. Unless, of course, he has a comfortable margin.

This is just over-thought BS. Minutes on the court are minutes on the court. In fact, comfortable margin minutes are probably not as developmentally valuable as heat of battle minutes.

Will he sacrifice a W for development? Never in a million years will he consciously say to himself, - 'well, leaving this guy in the game doesn't give us the best chance to win, but it sure will help his development...'

Nor should he. Ever. Not at this level.

For my daughter's youth soccer team? Yes. For big time cbb? Never. Earn your coach's trust and you will see the floor. JB's has earned the right to make that call 1000x over. Never mind the Igorisms. As far as I'm aware, JB's never been wrong. Maybe once, and he fixed himself.. Josh Pace.

You're assuming we lose if Roberson plays. He played a solid 5 mins vs Duke and MG played 12. It was our best offensive performance all year.
I'm not assuming anything. My post was in response to a number of posters who have posted that it would be worth some losses to develop the bench. I don't agree, particularly at this point in the season. I like Mike G's play - he has shown he can be a valuable utility man for this team. I cheer Roberson on each time he enters the game and hope he can give us some productive minutes the rest of the way. But I'm with JB - winning is critical now and he knows better than any of us, which players give us the best chance to win on a given day.

Roberson should see 5 minutes a game regardless as cj should be able to rest for 2-3 minutes a game

I think every team should start all underclassmen and bench all their upperclassmen, regardless of who the best players are; ya know, because it's all about developing the young guys.

Roberson should see 5 minutes a game regardless as cj should be able to rest for 2-3 minutes a game
I posted this thought in another thread - wouldn't Mike G be a better sub for CJ? Silent G is a natural small forward and Roberson is a power forward at this stage of his development. Roberson is only an inch and 12 lbs heavier than Mike according to the roster stats. I'd rather see Roberson come in for Grant.

he can come in for both grant and fair . Id rather not play mike G in 3 spot unless absolutely emergency as our rebounding suffers

our forwards are really interchangeable not set 3's vs 4's

he can come in for both grant and fair . Id rather not play mike G in 3 spot unless absolutely emergency as our rebounding suffers
I agree that Roberson is a better rebounder than Mike G. But in all other ways, he is better than Roberson IMHO at the small forward position - better ball handler, shooter etc.

I'm not assuming anything. My post was in response to a number of posters who have posted that it would be worth some losses to develop the bench.

Who posted that, specifically?

two3zone said:
80% of the board.

That would be 1600 posters.

Who posted that, specifically?
I don't have time to go back and look but it's a common post throughout the years on this board. And I've seen it multiple times lately in threads related to developing a bench or tired players. Meaning it's worth it to take losses to develop a bench. I have not seen anyone specifically say they would sacrifice MSG to develop a bench. I simply asked that question to those who think taking losses is worth it. And if we did it at this point in the season, it could cost us MSG depending on other teams results.

This is just over-thought BS. Minutes on the court are minutes on the court. In fact, comfortable margin minutes are probably not as developmentally valuable as heat of battle minutes.

Will he sacrifice a W for development? Never in a million years will he consciously say to himself, - 'well, leaving this guy in the game doesn't give us the best chance to win, but it sure will help his development...'

Nor should he. Ever. Not at this level.

For my daughter's youth soccer team? Yes. For big time cbb? Never. Earn your coach's trust and you will see the floor. JB's has earned the right to make that call 1000x over. Never mind the Igorisms. As far as I'm aware, JB's never been wrong. Maybe once, and he fixed himself.. Josh Pace.

Amazing response.

You call my observations "Over-thought BS" and then spend the rest of the post agreeing with me.

I'd take fresher legs in the NCAA tournament over tired legs and another bad CJ shooting performance like against ND and NC state. If he says tired legs affected his shooting performance then I believe him enough to hope he gets some reduced minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom