For Those... | Syracusefan.com

For Those...

Nick44

All Conference
who can answer this question, doesn't this season compare quite similarly to Coach Mac's first 3-4 seasons? His tenure turned out ok.

Like everyone else I am extremely disappointed and frustrated because I expected to be 7-2 at this point. What's most frustrating is that these last two games were setup for us in terms of talent level and match ups. All they had to do was coach them properly and we had the talent to win.

Marrone's tenure thus far is somewhat comparable to Dan Mullen's. He is also a 3rd year coach taking over a program that was abysmal. After a 9-4 record last year, they're also 5-4 with wins over Memphis, LA Tech, UAB, Kentucky and UT Martin...haven't exactly beaten anyone. I know all the naysayers will point out that they're in the SEC, which is fair, but that also means their talent level is comparable to their conference's just like Syracuse has the same comparison to its conference. The point being, two factors are slowing the rise of these two programs. First, Syracuse/MSU aren't sneaking up on anyone this year like last year. Second, (speaking for Syracuse), despite what TGD thinks, many of these assistant coaches were not highly regarded and it is showing. I like Hackett because he has great energy and that feeds to the players. But why when he finds a play that works, he goes back to it 5-6 times during the same game before its finally blown up?!?!??! See the Express play last week. Blown up after the 3rd attempt. It was a major factor yesterday too as he kept calling the same QB rollout to the WR/TE which after the fifth time it worked, PP finally put a LB/S in front of the receiver who came up with the INT. This is a testament to lack of creativity by Hackett. (Also a testament that it took PP that long to cover that WR/TE).

To further my point, look at Moore, Conley and Braumbaugh. All-American players in college but no where near the same level as coaches, at least not yet. Braumbaugh at least has had some prior coaching experience, as does Conley at Wagner; but they're at a whole different level and appear to be outmatched so far. Moore had never even been a WR coach prior to this job?!?!?!?!

I like Anselmo too as he was a winner at the JC level but that still doesn't mean he has D-1 experience.

This lack of experience is now feeding to to the special teams which is showing.

For what its worth, I am fine with Shafer. Shafer was hired by Harbaugh (enough said) and with experienced talent has proven he can get it done.

Overall, the blame is on Marrone but the shortcomings have to fall greatly on the fact that we aren't the lovable losers anymore sneaking up on anyone, and the assistant coaches are failing DM. DM's game management needs to improve, probably a B- thus far but overall, you're only as good as your assistant coaches. Just look at Auburn last year. Does anyone really think Gene Chizik is that great of a coach? Hell no. He's a great recruiter, great motivator with assistant coaches like Gus Malzhan who should be HEAD coaches.

I will leave you with this...talent aside can you imagine John Chavis (DC for LSU) vs. Hackett in a game? Yikes.

You can analyze it all you want. The bottom line is until we start getting a level above players than what we are getting recruiting wise things will remain status quo. Thats really it. All of these great coaches in college football (that coach top 10 teams) have the pick of these 4 and 5 star players. Pretty east to win if you ask me.

You can analyze it all you want. The bottom line is until we start getting a level above players than what we are getting recruiting wise things will remain status quo. Thats really it. All of these great coaches in college football (that coach top 10 teams) have the pick of these 4 and 5 star players. Pretty east to win if you ask me.

But, we are in the BE right now playing equally inept teams with not a lot of talent. Lack of talent could be used when we play teams more talented than us. In the BE, those teams are few and far between. Our talent level is what it is right now, but it is as much if not more than UConn, rutgers and Lville. If we played and lost to Liverpool HS, would it be because of lack of talent? We are not playing USC every week. We need to get more talent and start recruiting better, but we have enough talent right now today that we should not be losing to 3 teams that also have little talent.

but we have enough talent right now today that we should not be losing to 3 teams that also have little talent.

Exactly.Talent is not an excuse when you're talking about UCONN.They are terrible.There's just no excuse for yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom