Former Dean of Newhouse on ESPNCNY at 5:30 | Syracusefan.com

Former Dean of Newhouse on ESPNCNY at 5:30

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
ESPN_Radio_normal.png

ESPNCNY ESPN Radio CNY

Many of you have been questioning the media in the midst of this story. You don't want to miss former Newhouse dean David Rubin at 5:30

Wonder if they still serve the "Dean Reuben" at the Newhouse snack bar.

This should be interesting. Myself and probably many others on this board would be grateful for a recap of what's said.

I hope he goes OFF on ESPN.

Waters started at the 5pm hour:

ESPN_Radio_normal.png

ESPNCNY ESPN Radio CNY

Mike Waters says we must remember what happened in the Duke lacrosse case, be careful not to rush to judgment with serious matters like this

is he on yet?

ESPN_Radio_normal.png

ESPNCNY ESPN Radio CNY

Dean Rubin says he believes ESPN should not have gone with this story given the information available to them at the time.

ESPN_Radio_normal.png

ESPNCNY ESPN Radio CNY

Dean Rubin says he believes ESPN should not have gone with this story given the information available to them at the time.

Hmmm...now did the DEAN know that they had TWO...count them TWO sources. Doesn't matter how shaky the source is. If there's two, the books say it's ok. FACT. Journalism 101.

Wait...I'm guessing the DEAN probably wrote those books, nevermind

Rough transcript

“I have to say as much, this one has got me puzzled.

So far as I can tell, they don’t know much more now than they knew seven, eight years ago when they were originally approached by Mr. Davis, and chose not to go with story then.

There is no grand jury testimony, no indictments. The only thing that changed, really, is Penn State.

(If the argument is) Penn State so changed the cultural firmament that we need to be more vigilant and go with stories earlier – I don’t buy that.

I don’t believe Penn State so changed the environment that a news medium would proceed with story like this that is so potentially devastating to Bernie Fine.

There’s a reason that the Penn State story didn’t break until it broke. The media had to cover the indictment.

As I’m speaking to you, November 18th, I would say that ESPN should not have gone with this story at this time.”

Any journalist has to assess the credibility of their sources, particularly when the information is as old as it is in this case, and you have to use your intuition, your gut, your feel.

But beyond what they’re hearing, there has to be some sort of evidence, paper trail, something.
Simply making the charge isn’t enough for me.

Rubin shooting down Waters, who 15 minutes earlier was like, welp, two sources, gotta go with it there.

I hope even the most perfectly programmed journo-bot realizes that saying... butbutbut I had two sources! isn't going to save your credibility with the public if you're wrong.

My guess is their reporter had to have this vetted by their lawyers. Had to. An organization as strong and professional as ESPN, with so much on the line...
And you know how many Syracuse people we have at ESPN, so you can just imagine the angst.

I lost all respect for Mike Waters after hearing what he had to say about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom