Former OC Beck not with team in Boca, Lynch to call offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Former OC Beck not with team in Boca, Lynch to call offense

I find it interesting that Coach Lynch, who has been the OC at Syracuse before, will call the plays. He is the only member of the staff that has reportedly found a new job (as RB coach for Nevada).

I would have thought he was gone from the time he took the new job. Guessing he wants to do a solid for all the kids he has coached here and stay with them until the season officially ends after the bowl game.

That is pretty commendable in my book. Quality guy.

Props to the Nevada HC too for letting him do this.

I'm definitely rooting for Nevada next year along with Georgia because of how kind Kirby was with his time with John during the hiring process.

You see, Players that don't play in the bowl game are scum and bad teammates.

Coaches...it's just part of the job, man

fwiw, my real feelings are I wish Beck luck in his future endeavors, no issues with him not coaching. These bowl games are pointless anyway

If a player is a projected NFL draft pick or is in the portal, I don’t have any problem with them not playing in a bowl game. That probably covers 95% of the kids who sit out. Other guys who sit out without some unique circumstance, I would question their judgement - but as you noted bowl games are pointless so it’s not that big a deal either.

Maybe there's another reason why Beck isn't coaching the Bowl game. Maybe he & Nuncio didn't agree on the game plan. Or maybe Coach Fran is influencing the game plan based on what he wants to see, e.g., Davis at QB, and maybe Beck didn't agree. Could be other reasons beside a new job.

I cant see them do that when they didn't trust him to play Pitt in some random game

Two things

1) I would assume this means that Beck has taken a job elsewhere and it’s just not public yet and he’s already left to be with the team

2) The old regime here didn’t trust Davis in the Pitt game…..new HC and coaching staff likely wants to see what they have.

I think we'll see Davis to start. USF's pass defense is suspect. If he can't do anything after 3 series we'll trot out the Wildcat and try to win that way. The OL needs to give Davis some time. If they do he should have some success.
Can he run? Otherwise, I dont mind seeing McPhail out there, after we've shown some wildcat looks. Would like to see what he can do.

Why would we run wildcat as the base set? Maybe if we cant do anything we revert but it would be dumb to use a scrimmage and run an offense and not try to use the 2 QBs.

Fine to mix it in but not to use it 90% of the start of the game.

Can he run? Otherwise, I dont mind seeing McPhail out there, after we've shown some wildcat looks. Would like to see what he can do.
Agreed, I'd give Davis a short leash. I certainly don't want to go down 17-0 early figuring out if he can run the offense.

I think the Wildcat gives us the best chance to win but Fran might want to evaluate his two traditional QBs.

Whatever the result on Thursday night we'll be a much different team next September.

Maybe there's another reason why Beck isn't coaching the Bowl game. Maybe he & Nuncio didn't agree on the game plan. Or maybe Coach Fran is influencing the game plan based on what he wants to see, e.g., Davis at QB, and maybe Beck didn't agree. Could be other reasons beside a new job.

I don’t think so. Beck and Nunzio apparently worked well together for the last game. Beck knows the scenario, and I don’t see him walking away over a disagreement for a minor bowl game. Could be he is just in the process of moving on and is not necessary to a new game plan.

Agreed, I'd give Davis a short leash. I certainly don't want to go down 17-0 early figuring out if he can run the offense.

I think the Wildcat gives us the best chance to win but Fran might want to evaluate his two traditional QBs.

Whatever the result on Thursday night we'll be a much different team next September.
I'm good with the Wildcat. I have to guess Fran knows what he has for QBs. Also going to guess he'll trust Nunzio to put them in the best position. Recently, that's been Wildcat.

Also Davis will have had 15 practices to run time with the first team offense

That could have been the biggest factor in not playing him the final couple weeks
This makes sense. Davis is still behind the eight ball with no regular season snaps behind him. Not a lot of choices though. Lets see what Coaches Lynch, Campanile, and Johnson can put together. I have to disagree with quite a few posters saying this is a meaningless game. Any game you get to play as a Syracuse Orangeman is quite an honor imo.

Two things

1) I would assume this means that Beck has taken a job elsewhere and it’s just not public yet and he’s already left to be with the team

2) The old regime here didn’t trust Davis in the Pitt game…..new HC and coaching staff likely wants to see what they have.
They had to make a decision about what gave them the best chance to win, keeping the ball with their best playmakers and the element of surprise or the scout team Qb who probably had no first team reps all year.

That could have been the biggest factor in not playing him the final couple weeks
Exactly

Other than to give him a shot to not have his only career pass attempt be an interception, there's zero benefit to playing McPhail.

I think there's a lot to that. Big jump to go from scout team to trying to run the offense in one week.

But with 15 practices...

Evaluation, not just of the qbs

Other than to give him a shot to not have his only career pass attempt be an interception, there's zero benefit to playing McPhail.

I think there's a lot to that. Big jump to go from scout team to trying to run the offense in one week.

But with 15 practices...
Your best post ever

They had to make a decision about what gave them the best chance to win, keeping the ball with their best playmakers and the element of surprise or the scout team Qb who probably had no first team reps all year.

Please see my next post after this

Two healthy QBs with the team. Two slots on a depth chart to list QBs. The math is pretty simple. I would not read much into this. Davis is QB1, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't take the first snap. Will be interesting to see what we do in obvious passing situations though, especially with USF's porous pass defense. I think Villari will handle the short / intermediate throws reasonably well, but who is better suited if we want to use the deep ball?