Fort Drum Adopt a Platoon Program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fort Drum Adopt a Platoon Program

FWIW, this thread should be replicated in the Hoops forum and maybe the lax forum as well as I'm sure there are many here who only go to those on a regular basis.

And the off topic forum.

Alright folks, we are on the list for a platoon that is deploying in January 2014. I will have more information once the details are released, he is planning on contacting me again with more info in November.

If anyone else is interested, just let me know!

thanks guys!

I could totally see Edowd starting the "syracusefan.com raid on canada"

For everyone that has "liked" my post, thats cool and all but if you are interested in this, please tell me so, either by PM or here in this thread
In. Sorry, didn't see this post until just now...

We would like to help also. Big Brothers Big Sisters operates School-based Mentoring programs where College and High School students mentor Elementary School students in the Syracuse City School District - we are at 8 different schools and I can have the kids write letters or make Birthday cards and Holiday cards - whatever you would want us to do. We appreciate the generosity we have received from the members on this forum and will certainly give back. Just let me know what you want us to do.

We would like to help also. Big Brothers Big Sisters operates School-based Mentoring programs where College and High School students mentor Elementary School students in the Syracuse City School District - we are at 8 different schools and I can have the kids write letters or make Birthday cards and Holiday cards - whatever you would want us to do. We appreciate the generosity we have received from the members on this forum and will certainly give back. Just let me know what you want us to do.

That would be great! Thanks!

In. I think I sent a PM, but for some reason it won't open for me now.

I have some experience in this (VFW Member). We should have one person bring a box to the Wake Forest Tailgate. We should collect non-perishable items at that time. That person will hold the items until Jan for shipment. For perishable items I suggest collecting them via email to someone's house or pregame before a hoops game. The guys really love getting these. Pretty sure we could get some SU stuff too along with tooth paste, shaving cream, razors, etc...

I have some experience in this (VFW Member). We should have one person bring a box to the Wake Forest Tailgate. We should collect non-perishable items at that time. That person will hold the items until Jan for shipment. For perishable items I suggest collecting them via email to someone's house or pregame before a hoops game. The guys really love getting these. Pretty sure we could get some SU stuff too along with tooth paste, shaving cream, razors, etc...

Mark, when the time is right it might be good for you, Troop and any other Vets here to provide a list of examples for things they really would like. I want to make sure to send the right stuff (pun intended). ;)

Grooming Items, wash clothes, wet wipes, soap, flip flops, underwear, socks

Mark, when the time is right it might be good for you, Troop and any other Vets here to provide a list of examples for things they really would like. I want to make sure to send the right stuff (pun intended). ;)

everything mark said, cheese crackers were my favorite thing to get, lol slim jims, little snacks, those gatorade powder pouch things

everything mark said, cheese crackers were my favorite thing to get, lol slim jims, little snacks, those gatorade powder pouch things

What about those little powder packets of Arnold Palmer Iced Tea? :)

Just saw this - I'm in for it. Thanks for posting CuseTroop.

I have tons of autographed pics of myself I could send over - I used to try to sell them at flea markets, but I'm not famous so nobody ever cared. I still think ppl would love to have them though! :)

Just saw this - I'm in for it. Thanks for posting CuseTroop.

I have tons of autographed pics of myself I could send over - I used to try to sell them at flea markets, but I'm not famous so nobody ever cared. I still think ppl would love to have them though! :)

Lol thanks ghost, right now we are just waiting on the info about our platoon. Sometime in November.

I really like Marks idea as well, I won't make it to a game until BC, but if you guys wanted to gather items for one big shipment that we can send right when they get over there, let them know right off the bat that syracusefan.com has their back. I'd be happy to PayPal someone money or shipping cost, and to pay for some items.

Good news...our tailgate was a net profit (due to two large donations)

The Fine Mess has agreed to set aside $50 to pay for postage. CuseTroop and myself will get together a list of items. We'll collect them at the tailgates in November. We'll mail it out ASAP after they deploy.

Good news...our tailgate was a net profit (due to two large donations)

The Fine Mess has agreed to set aside $50 to pay for postage. CuseTroop and myself will get together a list of items. We'll collect them at the tailgates in November. We'll mail it out ASAP after they deploy.

Mark, with regards to the list, will we run it like a wedding registry where people sign up for certain items? It would suck if everyone showed up with shaving cream and razors. ;)

Mark, with regards to the list, will we run it like a wedding registry where people sign up for certain items? It would suck if everyone showed up with shaving cream and razors. ;)

Bees said he wants dibs on getting camo thongs for the troops.

Seriously, a great idea to make a list and have people sign up.

Adam, since I can get access to both Army and USAF clothing sales...can you think of anything they might need that is hard to get in country?

Adam, since I can get access to both Army and USAF clothing sales...can you think of anything they might need that is hard to get in country?

JoeCollege can tell Bees where to buy the thongs. :)

I would recommend starting a sign-up thread and tacking it, then updating the assignments as people commit to items, kind of like the cell phone cover thread. People can sign up for items that would be easy for them to get. For example, I travel a lot and am always hitting the travel size aisles at Target, Wegmans and Walmart. I could always grab extras when I make a run. Not sure if that is applicable or not, though. Are travel sizes better to get than the larger items? How much moving around do the troops do once they are over there? Are they stationed in one spot for the duration of the tour?

Full size bottles for shampoo will be better. Anything liquid is best taped up and put inside a ziploc bag too.

Caution to buying too many huge. heavy and liquid filled things as we are mailing this. I know they'll like getting hot sauce and Dinosaur BBQ sauce products.

Let me rack my brain for a few minutes, I know there was tons of stuff that we couldnt get/loved to get shipped, but for some reason the only thing I can think of right now is bic lighters haha. I'll get back to you by lunch.

Let me rack my brain for a few minutes, I know there was tons of stuff that we couldnt get/loved to get shipped, but for some reason the only thing I can think of right now is bic lighters haha. I'll get back to you by lunch.

Troop, what about recently released DVD's? Did you guys (and gals) like getting movies? Did you keep a shared library of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom