Fort drum experience... | Syracusefan.com

Fort drum experience...

Jake

Mod
I hope the players learn a bunch from the military setting like chain of command, discipline and teamwork.

Also, the armed forces (thankfully) never have a home game...hope they learn how to focus in an adverse environment.

My guess is they have them do the Leadership Reaction Course (LRC)- A practical exercise facility using 17 stations to build leadership skills, encourage teamwork, develop technical and tactical proficiency, and confidence. The video shows an example of one of the tasks they would do. Most of these are seemingly impossible to do initially...but, with hard work and ingenuity you can get most of them accomplished. Sometimes they throw in things to make it harder: Injured soldiers have to be carried, some or all can talk, etc...

Other things they might do are obstacle courses, they might allow them to fire some weapons or run through the MOUT Facility.

This could be really good but could also be really bad. The Fort Drum experience can turn kids off and make them have an attitude the rest of the year. They didn't sign up to be in the military and get barked at. Wasn't that one of the reasons Casullo was let go?

This could be really good but could also be really bad. The Fort Drum experience can turn kids off and make them have an attitude the rest of the year. They didn't sign up to be in the military and get barked at. Wasn't that one of the reasons Casullo was let go?

I highly doubt they're going to get barked at all week as if they've entered basic training.

I highly doubt they're going to get barked at all week as if they've entered basic training.
Shaking head Yes...I bet they give them a little taste of what the first day at Basic Training is like for shock and motivation...then they back off and become mentors.

Did you see the video of the wake up call and pre breakfast?

Personally I am more worried about injuries, all we need is Nassib or Lemon rolling an ankle doing some military drill and this whole thing is gonna be a disaster.

Ugh.

It's one freakin' week. If a kid was going to mentally check out because of one week at Fort Drum, better to find out now.

Yep, better not to push them during the preseason.

Ugh.

It's one freakin' week. If a kid was going to mentally check out because of one week at Fort Drum, better to find out now.

The "wussification" of America.

Gotta love it!

I really don't see how it could be bad [barring injury]. I think it is an experience that the team could use to really come together, and set the tone for the rest of the year [not to be corny, but a la Remember the Titans].

I really don't see how it could be bad [barring injury]. I think it is an experience that the team could use to really come together, and set the tone for the rest of the year [not to be corny, but a la Remember the Titans].

And what year was that?

Ugh.

It really has nothing to do with FB. Push them with stuff that has use on the field. Sure something like this would make the kids better people, but that has nothing to do with Ws. I rather have a team go 10-2 with a bunch of Marcus Vicks than a team go 6-6 with a bunch of Kyle Johnsons.

And what year was that?

Who cares?

The point is, the team is going to have an off-site team building experience. My guess is that the vast majority [if not all] of them will find the experience rewarding, and take things away from the military model that they will be able to apply to their lives, on and off the field.

Group outings like this generally make teams more cohesive and focused, not the opposite. I still don't see how this can be bad as you suggest, with the obvious exception being somebody getting injured.

And what year was that?

Sal...trust me these players will eat this up!

Many of them come from single parent households headed by a female...they want discipline and structure. They want to be tested. Having positive (mostly male and many minority) role models who are combat veterans and not attached to the Football program will reinforce the life lessons Coach Marrone has instilled. Like others said: if these players can't handle a week of a military experience they will eventually fail the team down the road...I don't want them on the team.

If we have good leadership on the team they will keep the players focused and on task.

Shaking head Yes...I bet they give them a little taste of what the first day at Basic Training is like for shock and motivation...then they back off and become mentors.

agreed

All I’m saying is they’re not entering a week of basic training where they’re going to have drill sergeants screaming at them 24/7. But while on base they’re going to be subjected to things plebes would have to be subjected to.

When I was a kid I used to go to West Point’s lacrosse camp and we’d get woken up at the crack of dawn by drill sergeants to but the whole day wasn’t like that. Sure there are rules to follow and there’s no laggin behind or being late etc etc but it was lacrosse camp not boot camp. I don’t see this being much different. It’s one week of regimented drills, instruction, training.

And honestly if someone checks out then there’s the door. This is preseason football camp and wusses need not apply.

My brother is the safety officer for the 3rd Brigade. I told him to keep them out of trouble, like off the artillery range!

It really has nothing to do with FB. Push them with stuff that has use on the field. Sure something like this would make the kids better people, but that has nothing to do with Ws. I rather have a team go 10-2 with a bunch of Marcus Vicks than a team go 6-6 with a bunch of Kyle Johnsons.

Really??? I'd rather disband the FB program than win with losers.

Really??? I'd rather disband the FB program than win with losers.

I care about winning. I don't care what they do after leaving campus. Why is it ok for BBall to have off the court issues but in FB we are supposed to be choir boys?

I care about winning. I don't care what they do after leaving campus. Why is it ok for BBall to have off the court issues but in FB we are supposed to be choir boys?
Off court and/or off-field "issues" are going to happen, there's just no way around that. IMO, using Marcus Vick is an extreme example of student athletes behaving badly. Hell, we've had our share of issues i.e. Hunt, Broyld, Cater etc, but to the best of my knowledge, none have had drinks and sex with a 15 year old girls. Big brother's money is the only thing that kept MV out of jail and on the VT roster.

Holy cow, are you kidding? Do you see a bunch of ubertalented kids up and down the roster. So finding and building leaders has no use on the field? Marrone is looking for kids who will take ownership of the units they are on. It's obvious Bromley is the guy on the DL. My guess is they are handing Diabate the keys because Spruill wouldn't/couldn't fill that role. Diabate might not end up the starter, but he's going to be the leader in practice, in the meeting room, and in the locker room.

Part of the problem last year was that some of the best players were the biggest knuckleheads.

Alot of what they will be doing will be small unit problem solving and team building. It's a way of finding the guys who lead and the guys that follow in ways you are never going to see on the football field.

i fail to see how any d1 athlete could be scared or turned off by a week a Ft Drum. they are still bound by the NCAA practice laws, so its not like by going there SU can all of sudden run them into the ground for 10hours a day.

for if they could, then EVERY GODDAMN PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY, would be heading to the local base every August for a week or 2 and doing this.

good gad.

the fluckin milk drinkers and women on here is astounding.

its almost hoop boardesque.

Oh Lord

Live ammo. Keep your heads down boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors