Forty years ago today, Pearl with his half court shot to beat BC | Syracusefan.com

Forty years ago today, Pearl with his half court shot to beat BC

Man, where did 40 years go. This is such a great video. RIP Pearl.

I believe that ESPN broadcaster trying to discuss the win on the court in the wild aftermath was Tom Mees. He was one of the original ESPN guys. You don’t see a broadcaster throw elbows like that much any longer…..

Died far too early.

One of the great controversies in early ESPN history: did Mees throw the same elbow a year later in the same venue after SU beat Georgetown? This is part of why Mees is a legend at ESPN.

Check the video in the link below….

Last edited:
Man, where did 40 years go. This is such a great video. RIP Pearl.

One of my alternative '87 scenarios is: Pearl came back for his senior year. Smart hits his shot, we inbound to the Pearl and...

(Also the late Tom Mees with the late Father Charles behind him.)

I was at this game sitting in the 300’s behind the opposite basket, with Pearl shooting away from me. I just remember bedlam and seeing Pearl run off the court. It was insanity. Thought the upper deck was going to collapse. Great childhood memory. RIP Pearl.

I was a freshman and this was the very first college basketball game I ever attended. Sitting in the old student section roughly mid-court. Needless to say, I was hooked. I have many great memories of my years at SU and this one is right up there.

Pearl also happened to be a sweetheart of a guy. RIP.

My dad was very close with Pearl and I Was lucky to have Pearl as my coach at McChesney before I played at Nottingham. I would ask him over and over to tell me about that shot as I am remember my dad showing me on an actual tape. All I ever got out of Pearl was “pretty good shot huh”. He was too humble and too quiet when it came to his accomplishments. Such an amazing human being and I miss that guy

Speaking of USA network, I remember as a kid they used to air fun family shows and then immediately after some racy shows because my parents would change the channel REAL fast.
p183956_b_v8_ad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom