Found this interesting ... | Syracusefan.com

Found this interesting ...

SU94

Starter
Stole this bulleted breakdown from Axios Sports:

Breakdown of top 20 Wooden Award "finalists." Very few freshman. I don't have the data for previous years, but this points toward what is likely "just" a weaker freshman class or perhaps to some degree, more of an emphasis on veteran players/player development.
  • 7 seniors: Markus Howard, G (Marquette); Myles Powell, G (Seton Hall); Cassius Winston, G (Michigan State); Payton Pritchard, G (Oregon); Udoka Azubuike, C (Kansas); Anthony Cowan Jr., G (Maryland); Lamar Stevens, (Penn State)
  • 3 juniors: Luka Garza, C (Iowa); Jordan Nwora, (Louisville); Malachi Flynn, G (San Diego State)
  • 8 sophomores: Obi Toppin, (Dayton); Saddiq Bey, (Villanova); Jared Butler, G (Baylor); Devon Dotson, G (Kansas); Tre Jones, G (Duke); Daniel Oturu, C (Minnesota); Filip Petrusev, (Gonzaga); Jalen Smith, (Maryland)
  • 2 freshmen: Anthony Edwards, G (Georgia); Vernon Carey Jr., C (Duke)
To me, the less dependent the sport of CBB is on flashy freshman coming in every year, the better (with some obvious exceptions). I think the Kentucky/Duke recruiting domination the last 10-12 years has really hindered the sport as a whole. Akin to the NBA's consolidation of talent on the Warriors, Lakers, Rockets, etc. the last few years. Yes, CBB has many flaws, but I'd put this one near the top of the list.

The difference from the "good old days" is that even though there are a lot of upperclassmen on the list, a lot of even passionate college basketball fans are completely unfamiliar with most of them. In the past, they would have been household names by this time where even the casual fan would have known them. But with the constant turnover in college basketball, there is no familiarity, even with the veterans.

The difference from the "good old days" is that even though there are a lot of upperclassmen on the list, a lot of even passionate college basketball fans are completely unfamiliar with most of them. In the past, they would have been household names by this time where even the casual fan would have known them. But with the constant turnover in college basketball, there is no familiarity, even with the veterans.

I'm not sure that's true but maybe I watch more than others. I haven't seen Gonzaga this year so I'm not familiar with their roster and last week was the first time I got to see Toppin and Dayton play. But I'm very familiar with the rest of the list.

Stole this bulleted breakdown from Axios Sports:

Breakdown of top 20 Wooden Award "finalists." Very few freshman. I don't have the data for previous years, but this points toward what is likely "just" a weaker freshman class or perhaps to some degree, more of an emphasis on veteran players/player development.
  • 7 seniors: Markus Howard, G (Marquette); Myles Powell, G (Seton Hall); Cassius Winston, G (Michigan State); Payton Pritchard, G (Oregon); Udoka Azubuike, C (Kansas); Anthony Cowan Jr., G (Maryland); Lamar Stevens, (Penn State)
  • 3 juniors: Luka Garza, C (Iowa); Jordan Nwora, (Louisville); Malachi Flynn, G (San Diego State)
  • 8 sophomores: Obi Toppin, (Dayton); Saddiq Bey, (Villanova); Jared Butler, G (Baylor); Devon Dotson, G (Kansas); Tre Jones, G (Duke); Daniel Oturu, C (Minnesota); Filip Petrusev, (Gonzaga); Jalen Smith, (Maryland)
  • 2 freshmen: Anthony Edwards, G (Georgia); Vernon Carey Jr., C (Duke)
To me, the less dependent the sport of CBB is on flashy freshman coming in every year, the better (with some obvious exceptions). I think the Kentucky/Duke recruiting domination the last 10-12 years has really hindered the sport as a whole. Akin to the NBA's consolidation of talent on the Warriors, Lakers, Rockets, etc. the last few years. Yes, CBB has many flaws, but I'd put this one near the top of the list.

Pretty sure this year was considered a weak freshman class / draft class.

To be fair, I think it's a down year across the board (nothing against the guys listed here).

I'm not sure that's true but maybe I watch more than others. I haven't seen Gonzaga this year so I'm not familiar with their roster and last week was the first time I got to see Toppin and Dayton play. But I'm very familiar with the rest of the list.
What's your thoughts on Azibuize and Dotson?

watched a bit of the kansas /texas game and azubuike was demolition man underneath. lotta moves for a big guy.

Last edited:
What's your thoughts on Azibuize and Dotson?

I'd love to have a big man with a build like that. He's had some injury problems that have hindered his development. He's only played 1 full season. But I think he will be a steal at the bottom of the first round. He started school young - he's a 20 year old senior so he still has plenty of untapped potential I think. He can't shoot free throws worth a darn though - like Onuaku bad. Also doesn't have much of a shot outside of 5 feet. Very much an inside player.

Dotson is ok. I'm still not sure he's even the 6-2 he is listed at. He's having a really bad year shooting 3 pointer this year after 36% last year so that will have to improve. Good athlete but I think he really needs to improve his shooting for the next level. He's improved in many things from his freshman year though so he has the potential.

I'd love to have a big man with a build like that. He's had some injury problems that have hindered his development. He's only played 1 full season. But I think he will be a steal at the bottom of the first round. He started school young - he's a 20 year old senior so he still has plenty of untapped potential I think. He can't shoot free throws worth a darn though - like Onuaku bad. Also doesn't have much of a shot outside of 5 feet. Very much an inside player.

Dotson is ok. I'm still not sure he's even the 6-2 he is listed at. He's having a really bad year shooting 3 pointer this year after 36% last year so that will have to improve. Good athlete but I think he really needs to improve his shooting for the next level. He's improved in many things from his freshman year though so he has the potential.
yeah, but can he guard a corner 3?

Currently inside my head - Don't post Seinfeld meme. Don't post Seinfeld meme. Don't post Seinfeld meme. Don't post Seinfeld meme.