Four arrested in killing of SU law school grad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Four arrested in killing of SU law school grad

A vapid, vacuous response which frankly meets expectations. The borborygmus of a constipated mind. Trotting out the tired sophistry of Thomas Aquinas falls entirely short of "proof".

Here, try this: god does not exist. See? Didn't even have to raise my voice. I'll get back to my cup of silver needles now.

God is just a word. What the word means is a choice not a decision. So no "proof" is required. Good try though on your part.

to a certain degree, yes. If you drive a luxury vehicle, flash a Rolex or display a big wad of cash, you are advertising yourself to those on the hunt for fat targets.

This is the world we live in. You either recognize that reality or you don't.

Odd, those 4 guys didn't worry about it.

God is just a word. What the word means is a choice not a decision. So no "proof" is required. Good try though on your part.
Then don't use the phrase "faith in god is mandatory". You can choose - happy to let you do so, as a citizen you have that right. "Mandatory"... well, that essentially negates any choices.

By the way, the word choice is defined in most dictionaries as the act of deciding between two or more possibilities. Suggesting something is a choice but not a decision indicates a fundamental lack of understanding of the English language.

If you're to post snarky retorts, at least familiarize yourself with English so that you don't give the opposition the chance to layer hypocrisy onto logical fallacy as (s)he picks your arguments apart.

Then don't use the phrase "faith in god is mandatory". You can choose - happy to let you do so, as a citizen you have that right. "Mandatory"... well, that essentially negates any choices.

By the way, the word choice is defined in most dictionaries as the act of deciding between two or more possibilities. Suggesting something is a choice but not a decision indicates a fundamental lack of understanding of the English language.

If you're to post snarky retorts, at least familiarize yourself with English so that you don't give the opposition the chance to layer hypocrisy onto logical fallacy as (s)he picks your arguments apart.
Dude

At some point in people's lives faith in God probably becomes mandatory. I thought the man's wife probably needs some irrational hope of the divine to help her with her grief. The tragedy for this poor woman is probably a test of her faith. I hope and pray her pain is relieved or lessened in some way. It is a simple sentiment based on my empathy. It has nothing to do with my understanding of the English language.

Choice and decision are not the same word for a reason. Decisions have reasons. Do you like chocolate or vanilla better? There is no reason why one is better than the other. The problem with your argument is the presumption that the existence of faith must be based on rational thought. As I said, there is no rationale evidence to support a sense of faith. It is a choice based on no reason.

I wasn't being "snarky" at all. I was expressing an idea about faith and God. It's just an idea. Ideas only exist in our minds. If I were being snarky, I would have said you only criticize and hate in other people what you do not like about your own character. There was no hypocrisy because I only made a few simple claims: God is just a word. Faith in God and reverence for other people is a choice. That's all I ever said. I was not saying anything that required a logical argument so there is no fallacy other than your declaration it. You made your choice. God is not your type of ice cream. I wasn't judging you.

At some point in people's lives faith in God probably becomes mandatory. I thought the man's wife probably needs some irrational hope of the divine to help her with her grief. The tragedy for this poor woman is probably a test of her faith. I hope and pray her pain is relieved or lessened in some way. It is a simple sentiment based on my empathy. It has nothing to do with my understanding of the English language.

Choice and decision are not the same word for a reason. Decisions have reasons. Do you like chocolate or vanilla better? There is no reason why one is better than the other. The problem with your argument is the presumption that the existence of faith must be based on rational thought. As I said, there is no rationale evidence to support a sense of faith. It is a choice based on no reason.

I wasn't being "snarky" at all. I was expressing an idea about faith and God. It's just an idea. Ideas only exist in our minds. If I were being snarky, I would have said you only criticize and hate in other people what you do not like about your own character. There was no hypocrisy because I only made a few simple claims: God is just a word. Faith in God and reverence for other people is a choice. That's all I ever said. I was not saying anything that required a logical argument so there is no fallacy other than your declaration it. You made your choice. God is not your type of ice cream. I wasn't judging you.
You're missing my points. but it's grown tiring - perhaps best if we agree that we should all empathize and for those of that can spare a moment consider making some small (or large if resources allow) gesture of kindness to help her through.