Fox 1 +2 A Disaster Ratings Wise | Syracusefan.com

Fox 1 +2 A Disaster Ratings Wise

In defense of FS2, at least on TWC it is the only one not included on the basic package of the channels listed.

Whoever negotiated that deal for the Big East must be driving a Jaguar minimum.

I don't think it's too much of a big deal. Outside of us college bball maniacs, who really knew about fox sports 1 and 2? Casual fans probably didn't know a ton about it at the beginning of the season.

By the end of this year, most fans will have heard of it, and the ratings will be pretty good. 5 years from now, I think they will probably be in great shape.

Honestly the BE does have a chance to be the premier mid-major hoops conference if they do things the right way. It could help Nova specifically in the long run.

Fox sports problem is that outside of Nova and Creighton to an extent the rest of the "New" Big East is awful. Seton Hall, Prov, Gtown, Marquette, Depaul all these teams have like 7-8 losses, ST. Johns is a warehouse fire and Butler is 1-5 in the BE and looks way overmatched.

Honestly the BE does have a chance to be the premier mid-major hoops conference if they do things the right way. It could help Nova specifically in the long run.
I believe it too, I was thinking that watching Providence Creighton last night. Does Providence have any hope in a BE with us, Pitt, ND, WVU, Cinci etc? Now they do. They may never get past a Nova , but they have more hope now.

I believe Fox sold their rights to the Big East to NBC Sports and it will be on NBCSN next year. FWIW, if Vatech or a number of ACC teams played monmouth on FS2 I could see the same results

I just find myself scanning to FS1 and saying blah...and going back to an ESPN matchup. FOX way overpaid for the content. Not even sure what FS2 is...I think I found it once on TWC.

I believe Fox sold their rights to the Big East to NBC Sports and it will be on NBCSN next year. FWIW, if Vatech or a number of ACC teams played monmouth on FS2 I could see the same results
You guys are missing my point...dreck like that would make ESPN3 in the ACC or old BE...FOX is forced to put it on a main cable channel.

You guys are missing my point...dreck like that would make ESPN3 in the ACC or old BE...FOX is forced to put it on a main cable channel.
The article points that out very well. What isn't clear, though, is what is more important to recruits (and therefore the future health of the Big East): National viewership or having games on national TV rather than online.

If a recruit want hundreds of thousands of people to watch them play a dozen times a year, he'll go to an ESPN conference; but if he wants Grandma to be able to see him play every game, he'll go Big East. That could be very interesting for a guy deciding between Pitt and St. Johns or Boston College and Providence.

With all of that said, Syracuse will be fine as always because it's Syracuse -- just like UNC and Duke will be fine because their reputations precede them. But if enough recruits choose to be on national TV, that could be very good news for Xavier, DePaul, and Villanova and not so great news for Maryland, Pitt, and NC State.

Don't know what it means for Fox but the amount of TV coverage for the Big East Catholic league is great for those schools. Crappy Seton Hall has been on TV more this season than the last 15 years combined. Gtown and Nova were on TV a decent number of times before but for the other schools this amount of coverage is unheard of. It takes time for any new network to build up a following. FS 1 audience will probably grow... if they can get better content. FS2 is almost impossible to find and on my cable system its not even in HD.

The News Corporation is taking on the Disney Corporation. These are the worlds two largest media companies. No telling what the outcome will be or what leagues will be broadcast by what channels in the future. The low ratings are not significant. A multi-billion dollar corporation does not make a trivial move as it would not even move their needle. They want to displace ESPN. This is just an opening skirmish. College basketball will benefit from their battles.

If a game is on tv and no one watches, was it actually on tv?