Fran Brown Coaching Staff | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown Coaching Staff

Didn't Brown in his presser say we would see Kevin Coyle here too at some point soon as well? Or did I mishear that. Coyle has background as DC and D backs. Obviously, ER is the DC but is Coyle possibly the D back coach? Hire Dazzler and he and Coyle are your two salty old dudes on the staff

Partridge as LB coach as well, that's solid staff.

That's what I thought I heard to

Last edited:
Didn't Brown in his presser say we would see Kevin Coyle here too at some point soon as well? Or did I mishear that. Coyle has background as DC and D backs. Obviously, ER is the DC but is Coyle possibly the D back coach? Hire Dazzler and he and Coyle are your two salty old dudes on the staff

Partridge as LB coach as well, that's solid staff.
It would make sense as he's looking to connect to the past and our last golden era. Having guys like Coyle, a long time DC at the P5 level/NFL guy and Addazio on staff would connect to the SU past and help mentor/guide some of the younger coaches.

BuffZone confirmed through multiple sources that edge coach Nick Williams is leaving the program. According to a source, Williams is leaving the Buffs to join the staff at Syracuse.

The 33-year-old Williams joined Coach Prime's staff and quickly became one of the nation's best assistant coaches and recruiters. The Peach State native was instrumental in guiding the Buffs' defensive core this season. He was also the lead recruiter for many of the top recruits, who recently decommitted from the program.

This is nuts.

Definitely a lot of exciting stuff. It’s making me uncomfortable — I’m not used to that of late with cuse sports. A few thoughts:

— Love that Brown started as a substitute teacher and facilities worker. Cool to see someone shoot up the ranks with hard work. Love the Cuse connections with P and D, etc. Love that he seemed to genuinely want this job. Just seems an easy guy to root for.

— the one thing that makes me a little nervous is recruiting can be pretty fickle. It’s only a few weeks ago that Prime was the man. Now things suddenly seem pretty shaky. Exciting but it will be interesting to see if all the buzz and momentum can be translated into sustained onfield success the next several years.

— Liked that Brown talked about toughness, running the ball, and defense. It’s all coach speak at this point but I love running the ball. I’m old fashioned.

— to that end, outside of OC/DC, the main coaching hire I care about is OL. Love all the recruiters we seem to be lining up but hoping for a proven, veteran OL coach.

— As far as Wildhack goes, it’s a really interesting hire. Seems like the decision was made to invest more $$ and swing for the fences. Like a Vlad Guerrero-style hit a 450-foot dinger, or corkscrew yourself into the dirt if you miss kind of hire. Will be interesting to watch.

— Will be interesting to see how Brown handles media access and community engagement. We all know winning trumps everything on attendance but I don’t think it would hurt to try and encourage more interest. We shall see.

Anyway, there will be some renewed interest for a while here and that’s a good thing.

Definitely a lot of exciting stuff. It’s making me uncomfortable — I’m not used to that of late with cuse sports. A few thoughts:

— Love that Brown started as a substitute teacher and facilities worker. Cool to see someone shoot up the ranks with hard work. Love the Cuse connections with P and D, etc. Love that he seemed to genuinely want this job. Just seems an easy guy to root for.

— the one thing that makes me a little nervous is recruiting can be pretty fickle. It’s only a few weeks ago that Prime was the man. Now things suddenly seem pretty shaky. Exciting but it will be interesting to see if all the buzz and momentum can be translated into sustained onfield success the next several years.

— Liked that Brown talked about toughness, running the ball, and defense. It’s all coach speak at this point but I love running the ball. I’m old fashioned.

— to that end, outside of OC/DC, the main coaching hire I care about is OL. Love all the recruiters we seem to be lining up but hoping for a proven, veteran OL coach.

— As far as Wildhack goes, it’s a really interesting hire. Seems like the decision was made to invest more $$ and swing for the fences. Like a Vlad Guerrero-style hit a 450-foot dinger, or corkscrew yourself into the dirt if you miss kind of hire. Will be interesting to watch.

— Will be interesting to see how Brown handles media access and community engagement. We all know winning trumps everything on attendance but I don’t think it would hurt to try and encourage more interest. We shall see.

Anyway, there will be some renewed interest for a while here and that’s a good thing.
I see the Deion comparison going on but the difference to me at least is that Deion is a name…a big name, while brown Robinson and Williams are established guys, and you can already see the connections they build. I think it’s all good, I hope I’m right. 450ft home run good

People keep referencing Prime - personally I feel he was a far greater gamble than Fran Brown. He literally coached at only the HS level and then 2 years at a FCS before making the jump to a struggling P5 program.

I won't discount what he accomplished - landing the #1 overall recruit in the country at a FCS is unreal. Huge props to him for managing that. But it's looking more like he's in over his head at Colorado. We'll see. Next year will be really telling.

People keep referencing Prime - personally I feel he was a far greater gamble than Fran Brown. He literally coached at only the HS level and then 2 years at a FCS before making the jump to a struggling P5 program.

I won't discount what he accomplished - landing the #1 overall recruit in the country at a FCS is unreal. Huge props to him for managing that. But it's looking more like he's in over his head at Colorado. We'll see. Next year will be really telling.
His constant "it's all about me, man" attitude will be his downfall. Until that time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him add Prime Time branding to the Buffs uniforms and his silhouette on the side of their helmets.

Wonder when the new staff will be on the road recruiting and if they will be on campus this weekend.

I don’t actually see enough similarities between the two to even discuss it. There are so many drastically different than any similarities are negligible because they could be applied to many other coaches.

and his QB kid is on campus driving around in a Bentley. It rubs people wrong.

Last edited:

Couldn’t be more different.

Me focused vs them focused. Deon couldn’t be bothered to know what school his guy was leaving for.

I have no idea, did he congratulate Sean Lewis on getting his gig?

There are few things, other than being top recruiter and race, that Fran and Prime have in common, especially humility. HCFB's approach will take him a long way and, hopefully, he can restore SU's relevance in CFB. Fingers crossed and donation mailed.

There are few things, other than being top recruiter and race, that Fran and Prime have in common, especially humility. HCFB's approach will take him a long way and, hopefully, he can restore SU's relevance in CFB. Fingers crossed and donation mailed.
Yep, just think about all the names Fran dropped as having taught or helped shape him. In Prime's world, there is only Prime.

Yeah I can see that. Wasn’t really my intention to compare brown to Deion as much as to point out that recruiting is awesome but it can be fleeting. One minute you’re the toast of the town, the next you’re struggling to fill out a class. Whether Deion is any good or not, we’ll see, but the dude attracted a ton of talent, turned over half the roster and got some really good early results. Then the wheels fell off and we’ll wait and see what his counterpunch is.

For Brown, until we see him coach a game, there’s going to be some questions. That’s not a knock, it’s just to say we probably had plenty of ‘safer’ options. I’m intrigued but also can’t help but feel like it’s a high risk/high reward type of call.

Nothing against Dino personally, as he seems such a solid guy, but this last week has been an eyeopener with how stale he'd gotten at the helm...

The fire and enthusiasm Brown has immediately brought to program is off the charts...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom