Fran Brown Early Report Card | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown Early Report Card

bigmike

Connoisseur of head and legroom.
Recruiting - A (brilliant given such a short time)
Coaching Staff Assembly B+ (Jury out on Special Teams after soiling the bed last week)
Spring Game - A (actually played a game)
Pre Season Camp - A (not sure why, but seems right)
W/L - A (2-0 enough said)
Adjustments week to week - A (Fadil at ‘backer - checkmate)
In game comportment (behavior for non-boomers) - A (love the emotion)
Post game Pressers - A (I took it personal, we’re not soft in the Northeast is gonna be a recruiting clarion call - brilliant marketing)
Intangibles - A (something is really happening here, and I love it)

Note: A+’s don’t exist in my world, in case you were wondering.

4KPAqp.gif

Coaching Staff Assembly B+ (Jury out on Special Teams after soiling the bed last week)
Post game Pressers - A (I took it personal, we’re not soft in the Northeast is gonna be a recruiting clarion call - brilliant marketing)

Perfection is to be sought, but is never attained.

This is great. I'd add this his building of his relationship to the city of Syracuse, the people, etc is really good as well. Where he shows up, how he interacts with the community, etc.

Not every head coach is comfortable diving into a new community and essentially doing retail politics (but having some real emotion and meaning behind the effort). I feel like HCFB has done a good job with this.

It matters that the people that spend a portion of limited income to go see the team also see the head coach trying to ingratiate themselves into the community and appreciating what Syracuse and its people have to offer.

This is great. I'd add this his building of his relationship to the city of Syracuse, the people, etc is really good as well. Where he shows up, how he interacts with the community, etc.

Not every head coach is comfortable diving into a new community and essentially doing retail politics (but having some real emotion and meaning behind the effort). I feel like HCFB has done a good job with this.

It matters that the people that spend a portion of limited income to go see the team also see the head coach trying to ingratiate themselves into the community and appreciating what Syracuse and its people have to offer.
Couldn't agree more. Well said.

It’s still kind of early to tell if we’re going to be good, great, or generational, but Fran quickly established his vision for SU’s football culture. He’s appealed to recruits, transfers, coaches, and fans. His sale of that vision to McCord was key to this quick turnaround. It’s an amazing story and only two games into the season. LGO!!

Oddly, or maybe not, I don’t fear him moving anywhere else as a coach. What I actually fear is him moving after several years into a role with even greater purpose. It seems like he really has a gift of connecting with people which may actually transcend football.

Post script: I am 3 six packs deep on the cool aid here, And I just punched myself for typing that - (not).

Schools are going to come calling before the end of the year. We’ll see if the school can hold onto him and if he was genuine about wanting to stay here. Almost any other coach I’d say, “he gone”. I believe Fran when he says he wants to be here. School will need to do its part financially though, at some point.

All the above assuming we continue on this path this season and we don’t completely implode. Don’t think we will but just a disclaimer.

YES, to ALL !!!
Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

And Fran, FLJ, Red have also gotten the players involved with the community.
Great work by our coaches and player's.

You mean Dino knocking back a few at the Dark Horse saloon in Manlius didn't count?

Schools are going to come calling before the end of the year. We’ll see if the school can hold onto him and if he was genuine about wanting to stay here. Almost any other coach I’d say, “he gone”. I believe Fran when he says he wants to be here. School will need to do its part financially though, at some point.

All the above assuming we continue on this path this season and we don’t completely implode. Don’t think we will but just a disclaimer.
You think schools will come calling this year? Perhaps if he goes 10-2 or better, but I would guess he signed a 5 year contract at SU. I would also guess that any bigger program will want a few years of sustained success before they try and pull him away. Here’s hoping that he is that desired because that means we’ve been good to great for the next several years.

You think schools will come calling this year? Perhaps if he goes 10-2 or better, but I would guess he signed a 5 year contract at SU. I would also guess that any bigger program will want a few years of sustained success before they try and pull him away. Here’s hoping that he is that desired because that means we’ve been good to great for the next several years.
Fran isn't going anywhere, he has the job he wanted, you will see his assistants leave through the years, because Fran wants to be successful.
He wants to build a coaching tree, and make Syracuse a respected football program again. Look at how his New Jersey kids talk about him, and through him know about Syracuse Football.

Fran isn't going anywhere, he has the job he wanted, you will see his assistants leave through the years, because Fran wants to be successful.
He wants to build a coaching tree, and make Syracuse a respected football program again. Look at how his New Jersey kids talk about him, and through him know about Syracuse Football.
I think Fran is cut from a different cloth. Not every coach needs 100 mil over their lifetime, to coach with major stress in the SEC, for a quick example. Some ppl are ok making 50 mil in a lifetime over 100, you cant spend it all in a life either way. Especially if given that the quality of life and personal preference boxes are checked, as they sure would be here. His utter determination to hammer home in literally every interview/presser of 'northeast' fb being its own entity and 'thing' in the cfb landscape, and that he wants to lead that train, suggests he does genuinely believe it and want it. I guess we all would be well advised in any event, to enjoy seeing it unfold and hope he walks the talk hes been doing since literally day 1.

I think any of the schools that will offer $10 million salaries will want to see if Fran (and Nixon) can do it without McCord next year. But if this year he produces a season as good or better than 10 - 3, we need to pay him at least what we were paying Dino ASAP.

If Clemson comes calling...

I think Fran is cut from a different cloth. Not every coach needs 100 mil over their lifetime, to coach with major stress in the SEC, for a quick example. Some ppl are ok making 50 mil in a lifetime over 100, you cant spend it all in a life either way. Especially if given that the quality of life and personal preference boxes are checked, as they sure would be here. His utter determination to hammer home in literally every interview/presser of 'northeast' fb being its own entity and 'thing' in the cfb landscape, and that he wants to lead that train, suggests he does genuinely believe it and want it. I guess we all would be well advised in any event, to enjoy seeing it unfold and hope he walks the talk hes been doing since literally day 1.

Part of me thinks he really wants to become a legacy in the Northeast

He could certainly build something extremely special right here at Syracuse and I think he knows that.

I think he sees how the basketball world celebrates JB and in his head says “why not me?”

I’m here for it. Let’s go HCFB!!

So far, he has been great.

I am very impressed with every aspect of his approach to SU Football.

Lot's of fun!