Fran Brown | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be a WORSE hire than Greg Robinson was. Let that sink in for a minute.

Without sounding disrespectful to either of these men, at least Greg had a resume that you could connect to an HC job at that time.

This would be the final nail in the coffin for this program. Full stop.
Do you ever wonder what the hell happened at Robinson’s interview that convinced Gross to hire him?

ADJW must not have told Thamel his super secret coach list or is Thamel not trusted? I just want to know who you consider a reliable source? Axe? ... you have a lot of 20/20 hindsight coming in after facts and that you knew days ago.

20/20 hindsight, What are you talking about? Brown was mentioned last week as a potential candidate before the Mullen rumors and speculation took off. Sorry if you didn't hear that from whoever you talk to but it was absolutely out there. Thamel not listing him in his first tweet about a potential new HC is meaningless.

Wildhack is a big boy, he doesn't need you defending him while he presides over the the continued decline of SU athletics.

I'll gladly take half of his salary to do whatever the BOT says.

Probably time to find a new team to root for then clearly this isn't working out for you. Can I suggest Uconn or Rutgers or maybe Ithaca? I think Ithaca's AD has the autonomy to do whatever he wants, you should email him.

So just to make sure I have it clear. Chesney will be a failure here because hes never recruited at this level. Brown will be a failure here...because hes proven to recruit at this level. Am I up to speed?
Yes was literally typing out this exact statement. I'm not going to pretend to know which is better in a candidate but as we've learned we're not going to get a perfect candidate. Give me someone young and hungry to get to work.

This would be a WORSE hire than Greg Robinson was. Let that sink in for a minute.

Without sounding disrespectful to either of these men, at least Greg had a resume that you could connect to an HC job at that time.

This would be the final nail in the coffin for this program. Full stop.

You’re just spouting off bs. Greg Robinson was from LA. A west coast and NFL guy who had no business coaching in Syracuse New York.
Fran Brown has legit connections all over the NE. Has Assistant Coach on his resume as well at Co-DC. He is definitely qualified to be our HC.

And for those saying, who can’t recruit to Georgia…
“Brown recruited or coached five players from the 2019 Owls’ defense that advanced to the NFL, including three draft picks”
That’s just one of his seasons outside of Georgia.

Which is why I thought maybe Brown was in play as an AHC/DC? If Chesney is still a candidate, I'm confused about how Brown fits into the puzzle.
Head coach, believe it or not, hopefully it doesn’t happen

So just to make sure I have it clear. Chesney will be a failure here because hes never recruited at this level. Brown will be a failure here...because hes proven to recruit at this level. Am I up to speed?

Yes don't forget that Thamel knows everything and if he doesn't tweet it can't happen and our AD is useless. I feel like I'm reading the transcription of local sports radio on some of these posts.

Last edited:
You’re just spouting off bs. Greg Robinson was from LA. A west coast and NFL guy who had no business coaching in Syracuse New York.
Fran Brown has legit connections all over the NE. Has Assistant Coach on his resume as well at Co-DC. He is definitely qualified to be our HC.

And for those saying, who can’t recruit to Georgia…
“Brown recruited or coached five players from the 2019 Owls’ defense that advanced to the NFL, including three draft picks”
That’s just one of his seasons outside of Georgia.
Not dismissing Brown, I would just look at him without the UGA credential. UGA is a recruiting factory

Do you ever wonder what the hell happened at Robinson’s interview that convinced Gross to hire him?
Not really because the reason for that disaster was that Cantor/Gross had no plan for a replacement. It was failed from jump.

I think a lot of the anxiety on this board today is still remembering that sequence of events and worrying that we are again in a place without a plan. Going to try and not jump to conclusions until this is over but it’s concerning.

Not dismissing Brown, I would just look at him without the UGA credential. UGA is a recruiting factory
Thats true, and its a legit concern. But as others have said, hes recruiting to GA against Alabama and USC and Ohio State. Hes not looking for those kids here. Hes just gotta beat 2/3 of the ACC guys out, and I don't automatically feel like thats impossible.

Plus we know this is a tough job to fill. People are not “lined up” for it. And JW has to have someone on the other side that (I) wants to be the coach here, and (2) can agree to contractual terms. Those 2 items are not easy

And that “can” coach here

Reactions: CIL
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

My new goto gif on this coaching rollercoaster. F it, Fran f’in Brown!

Maybe Brown is of interest as a DC for whomever is hired.

That or Alijah Clark is transferring to Georgia

Truth be told, we have no idea that Brown isn't the brightest X's and O's guy out there or not. Its a gamble if hes the guy. But in the current landscape, Cuse is a program that probably has to take a gamble.
If he was you’d think he wouldn’t be a career secondary coach so far, why hasn’t he been able to go above co defensive coordinator at a group of 5 school?

Probably time to find a new team to root for then clearly this isn't working out for you. Can I suggest Uconn* or Rutgers** or maybe Ithaca? I think Ithaca's AD has the autonomy to do whatever he wants, you should email him.
Obviously, you're a big time JW fan. Cool cool. I have my opinion too, I think he's a hack who ran from ESPN when he saw the writing on the wall there and cozied up with SU to half-ass an athletic program as he coasts to retirement. I have zero problem with SU taking a step back from athletics to focus on academics, but don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I know how university sports finances work. The BOT and academics love the money coming in but hate the game. It's OK, just admit it, they don't have to pretend that there's grand master plan to get back in the top-20s again. Maybe they can call me again today for more donation money.

* UConn has two natties since the last SU was ranked in conference play.
** We should hire Rutgers coaches! Oh wait, we just may!

If he was you’d think he wouldn’t be a career secondary coach so far, why hasn’t he been able to go above co defensive coordinator at a group of 5 school?

Mike Tomlin was a WR or DB coach his entire career. He had one season as DC before Pittsburgh hired him as HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom