Fran Brown | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thamel is wrong. Axe is wrong. ESPN is wrong. Board rumors are wrong. Waters and Ditota know nothing. No one knows, but you, but you don't post anything until well after and then it's only cryptic riddles. I'm telling you guys, it was always going to snow last week! Read between the lines, idiots.
You're picking the wrong battle here, JeremyCuse is correct

So in summary nobody knows if Fran is actually a good coach or not. We are interested in him because he is like Deion Sanders, and we are hiring him so we can keep our TE coach and make him OC, and we are going to start pulling 4-5 star players and make Syracuse a top 25 recruiting hotbed.
You sound skeptical.

Mike Tomlin was a WR or DB coach his entire career. He had one season as DC before Pittsburgh hired him as HC.
So we have one success story that happened in the early 2000s with a coach who still had more experience as a coordinator as Fran Brown does. Nice.

I don’t think it’s that bad, but it reminds me of Maryland hiring Locksley,, or it’s like why don’t we just bring back Nick Monroe for HC. Or George McDonald.

I think Locksley is another good example of why not to hire a recruiter as HC. The guy is 11-16 the past 3 years in the B1G. He does have the Top 3 programs every year, but he also has the Bottom 2 to offset that.

Actually quite the opposite. Nearly every time something good is happening JeremyCuse posts his “not what I’m hearing” posts and almost immediately thereafter the good thing going is now dead….he has good info…I often hate his info…but it’s usually right lol

LOL I have certainly been wrong before and will continue to be in the future. As you know a lot of this stuff is fluid but I luckily do have some connections or talk with those who do and that info is generally right. I was told from the beginning Chesney was likely the guy as his name kept coming up. Now that was before the whole Mullen saga so who knows but I think he and Brown are the two to watch and I think Candle is probably the dark horse.

LOL I have certainly been wrong before and will continue to be in the future. As you know a lot of this stuff is fluid but I luckily do have some connections or talk with those who do and that info is generally right. I was told from the beginning Chesney was likely the guy as his name kept coming up. Now that was before the whole Mullen saga so who knows but I think he and Brown are the two to watch and I think Candle is probably the dark horse.
I'm really hoping you're correct and what I'm hearing about Brown isn't

I like JW but I am not some diehard who thinks he can do no wrong.

Your taking out your frustration on Wildhack who has gotten more money out of the school and board then any prior AD. He got almost $750K for White to be the DC here which is unheard of for SU, he also put together the buyout money for Dino last year before he won 7 games and convinced the school to move on from JB despite a ton of pushback and a board full of JB diehards. SU has money but your acting like their just a tier below A&M and PSU in finances, it simply isn't the case.

UConn's athletics program is hemorrhaging money and is near bankruptcy. They're in a dire situation despite last years title.
Yup, this is so true. SU AD finances are way better than they have been in decades. We're lucky to have JW. Nobody is infallible but folks are kidding themselves if they don't recognize JW's skills, especially given the need to fundraise and navigate the conference games. He's a huge asset.

Okay. For those of you trying to talk yourself into Fran Brown (that includes you John Wildhack), just look back at a prior assistant coach of ours who was basically the Fran Brown of 10 years ago. When I read this thread I thought we were talking about Stan Drayton. He also was an “elite recruiter” who ended up at some factory school (after a cup of coffee at Syracuse).

He is currently struggling as the HC at Temple. 6-18 record (3-9 followed by 3-9). Is John really trying to take a page out of the Temple playbook???
Because "it didn't work then means it won't work now" is my least favorite way to argue against something.

We're all sitting here furiously refreshing a message board about Syracuse football to see the most updated posts about the DB coach from Georgia at noon on a Monday, and yet we're all talking about other people having major issues :). This is glorious. I feel like were all continuously acting out the Christmas Vacation scene where Clark ends with "Hallelujah, holy sh**!" and I love every second of it.

This guy has at least been a AHC so he's not quite as ridiculous a candidate as some may think. That being said, I have no idea if this guy is good

So we have one success story that happened in the early 2000s with a coach who still had more experience as a coordinator as Fran Brown does. Nice.

Dude you just hate any candidate not named Bob Chesney. It’s ok you may still get your wish.

I'm really hoping you're correct and what I'm hearing about Brown isn't

The Brown thing is hard to figure. He came up in the beginning and I thought SU was just doing its due diligence based on his history but I heard he was a potential serious candidate. Now he's popped up again and appears to have interviewed.

At least Deion had 3 seasons of college HC experience under his belt from his prior stop.

Fran Brown has never HC'd anywhere.

I've got no problem with him as DC, assuming we get an experienced HC.
Assistant HC to Rhule is pretty good experience. Being on staff at Georgia while winning 2 nattys is pretty good too. It's enough, IMO.

Have no clue if this is legit….

I don’t think it’s that bad, but it reminds me of Maryland hiring Locksley...
IF Brown is the hire, it definitely has a Locksley vibe to it. But how successful has Locksley been as a HC? Maryland is decent but they aren't exactly killing it in the Big 10. But to be fair, Brown isn't Locksley so he will have an opportunity somewhere - maybe SU - to prove himself as a super recruiter turned HC.

Assistant HC to Rhule is pretty good experience. Being on staff at Georgia while winning 2 nattys is pretty good too. It's enough, IMO.
Never been a HC, it would be a total crap shoot. Could work out great but certainly not a proven HC. Totally different role and responsibility than being a DB coach and recruiter. JW is on the clock, he has had it easy between JB and Babers, both of these coaching decisions will define his career and legacy, IMO.

Certainly could be, tons of information pouring out today. Coen's name has even come up several times.

I don't know how he solves the problems we have on the field. At all.

And is he going to be able to land the top talent from NJ even? Probably not, they'll still go to OSU or Alabama.

So what's the point?
Can you recruit better than we have and not be OSU or Alabama level kids? If we jumped 15-20 spots would that be worth more wins? What connections does he have to good coordinators?

If Fran Brown can hire a solid staff than I’m fine with him. He at least solves the “recruiting” part I’m worried about with hiring Chesney. Either way, either hire would need to make really good hires to not end up with “more of the same”.

Never been a HC, it would be a total crap shoot. Could work out great but certainly not a proven HC. Totally different role and responsibility than being a DB coach and recruiter. JW is on the clock, he has had it easy between JB and Babers, both of these coaching decisions will define his career and legacy, IMO.

Unless your pulling a can't miss guy from a lower conference or a lateral move to "come back home" ala Lville its almost always a crap shoot. I think Browns probably more so then most but you just don't know on a lot of these guys.

Dan Tortora. The guy who just 24 hours ago said Wildhack was in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom