Fran Brown | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re in different spots. White already a DC so maybe Rhule thinks he should aim higher? Brown is only a position coach so to skip to HC is a big jump already. just a thought.
Very big. But Dabo made it and has done very well.

If it is Fran, it will be really interesting to see what Kirby decides to do with him after the announcement.

Since Fran is not a coordinator, I would think there is a real chance he will be released to start his new job immediately.

Which would be awesome.
Thought I posted this earlier, but don’t see the post

Could see him being released early since his primarily coaches CBs. Muschamp handles Safeties (or the other way around). Kirby also helps with the secondary

I don't think we were far away under Dino. We needed a Northeast guy to improve recruiting, better discipline, and better prep. That gets us to 7-8 W seasons consistently.

I also think that SU has a ceiling when it comes to recruiting. Brown gives us the best chance to hit that ceiling, but it is going to take 3-4 years to hit that ceiling. It won't happen over night. So until he can hit that ceiling, he needs to coach up what he has.

I think Golden or Diaz would have given you that chance at hitting the recruiting ceiling while also giving you solid HCing. Brown is blind faith when it comes to coaching because he has zero track record. That is a risk that we did not have to take with minimal reward.
Agree, I think lack of discipline (penalties at wrong time) cost us a number of games under Dino. 5 to 10 is my informal guess. Maybe more

Last edited:
He's a young guy who can recruit. I think a reasonable goal is to be a consistent top 25 team. You have coordinators for alot of the planning etc... The HC just cannot make illogical decisions (like Dino) during the game. He's coming from a top/the top program.

My crystal ball is in the shop, but a good recruiter from a big time program who is a young guy seems like it could be a good fit.

End my rant.

It's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's moreso than the X's and the O's.

I'll say this about Brown.

He has learned under:
Addazzio, Rhule, Schiano, Smart

Say what you want about the warts some of those guys have, they all have run disciplined teams.

Addazzio had strong OL and ground games, and good LBers.

Rhule had good OL.

Schiano has good DL, strong ST, and decent OL and ground game.

Kirby is a whole different level all together.

Brown has recruited NFL talent for over a decade.

What's the one thing people constantly scream about on here? We need more talent and playmakers. We need Dudes.

Brown will improve that through recruiting and portal.

The more I read about him and watch his interviews, the more I’m sold. The guy has overcome some major adversity in life (ex. Born and raised in Camden and his mother was 13 years old when he was born) and experiences like these give you a sense of appreciation for life and opportunity that you couldn’t obtain otherwise.

He’s a young coach, clearly understands NJ and parts of the Northeast, and his youth will be essential in connecting with college players and parents when it comes to recruiting.

He has learned under:

Say what you want about the warts some of those guys have, they all have run disciplined teams.

Rhule had good OL.

What's the one thing people constantly scream about on here? We need more talent and playmakers. We need Dudes.

Benefit of the doubt w the hire always

I was excited for GERG too. My big acid reflex is I give these guys 2 years now vs 4 before to get things on right track

I just am very cynical about an influx of recruits loving Syracuse now because of one guy. I want coaches to find diamonds still. I hope brown has recruited coaches at the right high schools as much as anything

He has learned under:

Rhule had good OL.

All the guys he has been with have used conservative Os. Will be interesting to see what direction he goes in and for how long.

Very big. But Dabo made it and has done very well.

Dabo had a ton of talent in his backyard. He had $ to hire the best OC and DC he could find. He had a large fanbase that filled a large stadium. We have none of those.

I’d like to see Beck retained as OC and Nunz at TE.
Beck’s game planning with no QB was masterful. He deserves to hang around if Brown will have him.
Nunzio goes without saying.

We may see not only how well recruits players but a staff as well. Should be interesting.

The more I read about him and watch his interviews, the more I’m sold. The guy has overcome some major adversity in life (ex. Born and raised in Camden and his mother was 13 years old when he was born) and experiences like these give you a sense of appreciation for life and opportunity that you couldn’t obtain otherwise.

He’s a young coach, clearly understands NJ and parts of the Northeast, and his youth will be essential in connecting with college players and parents when it comes to recruiting.
Same. Not for nothing but a lot of the kids he recruits are from the same type of situations. He can relate to them in ways very few can. He’s a huge success story. Hopefully he’s an amazing role model too.

brown unlike chesney won’t bring his band with him. What scared me most about chesney was his band of coaching pals. Would have been a redux of Dino’s first couple of season where we had Mac staff trying to compete at acc level. I think Fran has opportunity to retain a few of our current guys (as we are closer to an acc staff ) now plus he can bring in a few of his P5 pals

If Rhule loves Brown why would he be anti Syracuse w Tony white and not Brown?

I don’t trust anything I read because that’s illogical
Because Rhule wasn't talking about Syracuse.

It's the most Syracuse fanbases thing ever to think he was talking about us when he was talking about White being cautious taking San Diego State job.

brown unlike chesney won’t bring his band with him. What scared me most about chesney was his band of coaching pals. Would have been a redux of Dino’s first couple of season where we had Mac staff trying to compete at acc level. I think Fran has opportunity to retain a few of our current guys (as we are closer to an acc staff ) now plus he can bring in a few of his P5 pals

If that is how he answered the interview question, I agree. But his OC was new so at the very least I think he makes changes on that side of the ball.

Love the hire. Same board contributors who bicker at us to manage our expectations because of SU being a northeastern private school are poo poo’ing this hire.

Time to see if SU can recruit. This is exciting.

I, for one, welcome our new savior.

I really do not get this higher if it’s true. There is a lot more to being a head coach then recruiting. Clock management, game planning and in game decisions to name a few. Fran has never been a head coach and there is no evidence he has had to deal with these issues in the past.
People will argue that his assistant coaches can handle those responsibilities. I do not buy that and if that is the case higher the assistants as the head coach.
Recruiting is vital but to me now it’s all about nil. If you have nil and pay the player they will come or stay at a school.
Coaching still matters. Prime was able to pull all that talent from the portal and won 4 games. Yes he improved by 3 games.
I will always support the team but I do not think Brown would be the right choice. We will see what happens.
Well, for one thing almost every lunatic, myself included, feel management of game clock is basic 101 stuff and the failure by Dino in particular to handle it, was what drove us nuts.

Clock management is not a concern.

Game planning and game management I won't worry about until I see who he hires as his DC and OC

In game adjustment is just as important, and again, let's wait to see who he hires as OC and DC

I’m guessing Nunzio is the happiest guy on the hill right now. Maybe wildhack knew all along which is the reason why they let nunz handle the team on Saturday.
Why do we assume Nunzio is staying or wants to stay? Has brown said thst

I wouldn’t assume any assistants are safe until we hear from brown. He may have his guys. We tend to do a live connection when we don’t know how the relationships shake out

Nunzio and brown may be completely redundant

Fwiw I spoke to Nunzios former teammate last night at one of his colleges and he said there isn’t a better guy. So I hope he stays hearing this. My source isn’t a grab @sser for the sake of it so I’m fired up for more Nunzio

That is a much simpler way of saying what I was trying to convey
I'm on the opposite side as I don't think we will ever get top end people here so I value scheme over talent. Obviously we need better guys but we will never have top end talent in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom