Francona as AL MOY is a joke | Syracusefan.com

Francona as AL MOY is a joke

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
No one in baseball did a better job than the World Championship manager John Farrell. Before the season started the Boston Red Sox were picked dead last in the American League East by most experts. Not one of them picked the Bosox to even get in the playoffs as a wild card.

There is no bigger Red Sox hater than me but fair is fair.

In the National League Clint Hurdle got MOY, they too were picked for dead last in their division by most.
At least the Pirates made the playoffs.

Some of that voting was explainable, at least; unfair but it could be explained.
The two Toronto votes didn't include Farrell at all because they're bitter children about the fact that Farrell wasn't successful with the Jays and that he left under lousy circumstances.

That jackass in Seattle (Asuka Iinuma Brown of Jiji Press?) who didn't even put Farrell in the top three is a complete moron.
Same thing for Christina Kahrl from espn. (I read her explanation for her vote; she's still an idiot.)

I really think that sportwriters/columnists often feel the need to be different, because otherwise they're writing the same thing as the 100 other writers out there. This extends to everything they do - award voting, interviews, whatever.
They'd rather stand out with nonsensical opinions than take the path that makes sense.
This might be Cohen's strategy.

*I know the voting took place before the playoffs began, but Farrell still should have won the MOY award.
**Disclaimer - I am a Red Sox fan.

No one in baseball did a better job than the World Championship manager John Farrell. Before the season started the Boston Red Sox were picked dead last in the American League East by most experts. Not one of them picked the Bosox to even get in the playoffs as a wild card.

In the National League Clint Hurdle got MOY, they too were picked for dead last in their division by most.

Some of the voters probably thought he was still managing the Red Sox. Ha!

If it's going to anybody else, I'm glad Tito got the award.
He's a little ambivalent, of course:

Asked if he was going to celebrate the moment, Francona said, "I've got a load of laundry in the washer. Tomorrow I'll get up, go for a swim and go golfing. The thing I'll celebrate is the whole year because I got to live it."

What Farrell did was nothing short of miraculous, and I will say that I am a Yankee fan. On the other hand is not hard to look like a genius when you follow a clown like Bobby Valentine.