Frank Anselem back in the portal | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem back in the portal

Thank you, and no offense taken at all. Yes, I think that all D-1 coaches are driven to win and if they are not, they won't last long. If that is the baseline, JB, IMO, is even further along that continuum. And that's a good thing for the most part. His is driven to win. There are lots of examples of this, like his focus to win the game in front of him, often at the expense of playing more players. Even his kids talked - lovingly - about him not even letting them win at Candy Land when they were younger.

"Nobody" is an exaggeration, of course. The underlying point is that his desire to win, IMO, is unquestionable.

He cheated at a game of chance, against children? That's kind of wild.

Were they?

Net points, (points + rebounds + assists +steals + blocks minus missed field goals + missed free throws + turnovers + fouls committed) for each guy who transferred to another school and for each guy who transferred in:

Guerrier 279 + Richmond 271 + Braswell 176 + Newton 19 = 745

Swider 435 + Boeheim 405 + Torrance 125 = 965

I think JB came out on top.
Your assumption is that G, R, B and N would have put up those same numbers if they had stayed at SU. That’s a pretty poor data comparison.

Why does the "thumbs down" icon turn into what looks like a particularly uncomfortable lady's shoe when it appears at the bottom of a post?
good question. The icon definitely looks weird!!!!

16-17

JB didn’t bring in enough. Instead of trying to win next year and load up after a losing season we are playing the development game next year.
SWC you are a good poster but JB has done a terrible job managing the roster and the potential each season has gone down.

These rosters have been flawed and we just try to be decent enough to make the tournament.
Syracuse shouldn’t go 8 years without playing a conference home game as a ranked team.

Losing players like Ansalem suck.
Totally agree that losing Frank sucks but that is how kids are today with the portal available. No idea how any coach can build backups with overlapping years when a player can walk and get opportunity to play right away for some other team. No one wants to sit on the bench, they are all in a rush to get to the NBA. Good luck Frank. We need to find a solid backup, maybe from a two year school.

Your assumption is that G, R, B and N would have put up those same numbers if they had stayed at SU. That’s a pretty poor data comparison.

I mean, the data also ignores defense entirely outside of standard box score info along with pace of the game, etc.

Most analytical data can show that the comparison was not close. What we lost was never found with what we got back

This is not the day for us to cry. But anybody who thinks Frank is not a loss is kidding themselves. Towards the end of the year he was a rebounding force. But what is frustrating is that in the era of instant gratification via the transfer portal, all the work that the staff put into Frank to allow him to significantly improve will inure to the benefit of some other program. In a perfect world he would stay here, keep improving, battle Jesse in practice every day, and get his chance to start as a senior.

kind of ironic that late in the season he said on a couple of occasions that he thanked God that he didn’t transfer last year.

And anybody who suggests that Carey, an incoming freshman who hasn’t played due to injury, is better than a guy who has actually had double digit rebound games in the ACC, is out of their mind.

Last edited:
I think Frank is a great athlete but isn't a natural ball player who has to think too much on the court to be effective ... Boehiem has said the freshmen are going to play and that might of affected Franks decision.

I think Frank is a great athlete but isn't a natural ball player who has to think too much on the court to be effective ... Boehiem has said the freshmen are going to play and that might of affected Franks decision.
Eh. Even with his weaknesses, he’s usually at least somewhat “effective.”

Good rebounder. Good hands. Good dunker.

He’d probably be the best backup C in the ACC next year - giving us the best center duo in the league.

And I think he’d project to give us a Conrad McRae/Daryl Watkins type of senior season as a starter in two years.

The fact of the matter here is Frank needs court time and he has people ahead of him. I don’t blame frank at all. He is still 1.5-2 years away from being good.

The fact of the matter here is Frank needs court time and he has people ahead of him. I don’t blame frank at all. He is still 1.5-2 years away from being good.
Not so sure about that.

I think he’ll be pretty good for someone next year.

Can’t help but wonder why he couldn’t have just stayed here though. Does he think possibly starting somewhere else is going to get him to the league next year? If not, what difference does it make if it’s going to be all about the senior year anyway? Why not just stay here, if he likes it here?

Not so sure about that.

I think he’ll be pretty good for someone next year.

Can’t help but wonder why he couldn’t have just stayed here though. Does he think possibly starting somewhere else is going to get him to the league next year? If not, what difference does it make if it’s going to be all about the senior year anyway? Why not just stay here, if he likes it here?

My noninside read is he likes it here a lot. He was always engaged on the bench. But he isn’t going to play ahead of Jesse. I like Frank’s skill set but kid needs court time.

I'm all for kids leaving if it's in their best interest. I try to put my selfishness aside. But, I really think he's making the wrong choice here. He's the prototypical four year player who gets better year by year. If he stayed then he's in line to take over his senior year, and showcase himself for pro ball at a top school. I truly don't see a better opportunity for him going the portal route. If he wants to start next year, then he's gonna have to take a step down in competition. Why not stick it out being a top backup 5 in the ACC for one year?

So if we bring in a Sophmpre eligible backup to become a starter if Jesse leaves after next year then we probably lose our incoming Frosh center who even if he takes a redshirt year, is a backup for two years. Would Peter stay? Is he willing to fight to earn the starter spot Against that older player. Will half of all backups leave for more minutes elsewhere? This portal makes it a losing gambit to develop kids. You wind up developing a player for a season or two just to have them leave. Tampering is rampant and no one can change that.

So if we bring in a Sophmpre eligible backup to become a starter if Jesse leaves after next year then we probably lose our incoming Frosh center who even if he takes a redshirt year, is a backup for two years. Would Peter stay? Is he willing to fight to earn the starter spot Against that older player. Will half of all backups leave for more minutes elsewhere? This portal makes it a losing gambit to develop kids. You wind up developing a player for a season or two just to have them leave. Tampering is rampant and no one can change that.
You think Carey would be a starting center in the ACC in 23-24? He had better put some beef on from 7' 190.

My noninside read is he likes it here a lot. He was always engaged on the bench. But he isn’t going to play ahead of Jesse. I like Frank’s skill set but kid needs court time.
But he’d get it as a senior.

I guess, all things being equal, two years of it is better than one….but, we’ll see where he lands. Seems like he was on a nice path here.

It takes time to learn the zone and to build the trust of your teammates and know where and when to be

He’s not going to be ready, plain and simple
We could do what coach suggested and play more man this year. Believe it or not we used to be a very good man to man team. Coach does know how to teach that. Maybe we go 20 to 25 percent man or press next year.

You think Carey would be a starting center in the ACC in 23-24? He had better put some beef on from 7' 190.
Does not matter what I think, what he thinks matters. He should ask himself where he would play in 23-24. Like the song says "Players only love you when they're playing". My point is not just about Peter. How many guys guys are willing to be ba cups for two years. Didn't we just lose two young players most of us liked because they would probably come off the bench this patyear
Heck, we lost a two year starter because we wouldn't let him shoot threes as often as he wanted to.

He’s got the Chet holgren frame. But not the same game.

Does not matter what I think, what he thinks matters. He should ask himself where he would play in 23-24. Like the song says "Players only love you when they're playing". My point is not just about Peter. How many guys guys are willing to be ba cups for two years. Didn't we just lose two young players most of us liked because they would probably come off the bench this patyear
Heck, we lost a two year starter because we wouldn't let him shoot threes as often as he wanted to.
Carey has missed time due to injuries, he has to recover and bulkup/fill out. He probably will redshirt next year.

Carey has missed time due to injuries, he has to recover and bulkup/fill out. He probably will redshirt next year.
Probably right, but do we strategize that we want a 1 year left player or a player with 2 years left. At what point do we risk losing Peter because he sees he is a backup after a red shirt year if that is what he sees. Is he willing to redshirt one year and be a reserve for 1 or 2 years. I just see schools developing players for other schools. Would being up front with a player, saying to him we want to red shirt you for a year and have you compete for minutes the next year or two, then becoming the starter unless we recruit over you work. Rhetorically, of course not. I think fans need to get used to losing good prospects every year.

But what is frustrating is that in the era of instant gratification via the transfer portal, all the work that the staff put into Frank to allow him to significantly improve will inure to the benefit of some other program. In a perfect world he would stay here, keep improving, battle Jesse in practice every day, and get his chance to start as a senior.
Eh, that's maybe a perfect world for fans, not him.

Frankie's gotta look out for himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom