Frank Anselem back in the portal | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem back in the portal

Seems like most think that Frank is leaving because of minutes, but I have my doubts. Jesse is a foul machine and has been injured. Should be way more than 10 min a game for Frank, in fact, he average 14 min this past season. Sid averaged almost 12 min in 13 games - that's another 5 min per game that are available. And there is a good chance that Jesse leaves after next season, leaving Frank as a 1-2 yr starter.

Maybe he is leaving because:

he doesn't like the zone,
he is tired of JB's act,
he wants to go to a winning team, or
something else.
No. He loves Syracuse. It's about minutes

Not surprised, Frank had a foot out the door after last season. This season didn't do anything to make it better.
Personally I think it made things clearer for both the staff, fans and in particular, himself. We got to see him with more extended minutes, in pressure situations. We saw his real strengths and his weaknesses, we could all see his improvement and potential too. I thought he was our best pure rebounder. Sad to see him go, was looking forward to the advances he’d continue to make here at SU.

Looking forward does JBA become our backup center? If no one else leaves we have 2 scholarships available should Cole and Mintz be a priority or look to the portal for a pg and a forward?

It sucks losing kids like this because he was the ideal back up center for us and did well. By all accounts a great kid and wish him well.

With that being said this is also an opportunity for the coaching staff to improve the roster and we need to take advantage of that. We CANNOT settle for a kid like Ballard. That is pure laziness. Nothing against Ballard as a kid but he will never play meaningful minutes here and if he does we are in even more trouble than next year. This staff needs to actually get out there and recruit some solid portal kids that we may not have been familiar with in the past. I think it was obvious last year we need an infusion of talent. I don’t know how this coaching staff can look at next years roster right now and think it’s too half off the ACC, let alone a tourney team. They need to get some dudes and not settle.

Ha, they were a net minus from the guys that left

Were they?

Net points, (points + rebounds + assists +steals + blocks minus missed field goals + missed free throws + turnovers + fouls committed) for each guy who transferred to another school and for each guy who transferred in:

Guerrier 279 + Richmond 271 + Braswell 176 + Newton 19 = 745

Swider 435 + Boeheim 405 + Torrance 125 = 965

I think JB came out on top.

Last edited:
It sucks losing kids like this because he was the ideal back up center for us and did well. By all accounts a great kid and wish him well.

With that being said this is also an opportunity for the coaching staff to improve the roster and we need to take advantage of that. We CANNOT settle for a kid like Ballard. That is pure laziness. Nothing against Ballard as a kid but he will never play meaningful minutes here and if he does we are in even more trouble than next year. This staff needs to actually get out there and recruit some solid portal kids that we may not have been familiar with in the past. I think it was obvious last year we need an infusion of talent. I don’t know how this coaching staff can look at next years roster right now and think it’s too half off the ACC, let alone a tourney team. They need to get some dudes and not settle.
I agree with your take, especially in regard to actually working the portal - but as far as a back-up center for next year, who do you honestly think we could bring in without to be OK with that role short of essentially lying with the "you'll be able to compete for the starting job"?

Looking forward does JBA become our backup center? If no one else leaves we have 2 scholarships available should Cole and Mintz be a priority or look to the portal for a pg and a forward?
Others will leave.

There’s already over a thousand dudes in the portal and it’s not stopping. If we only reach out to guys we offered before, that’s just sad

I agree with your take, especially in regard to actually working the portal - but as far as a back-up center for next year, who do you honestly think we could bring in without to be OK with that role short of essentially lying with the "you'll be able to compete for the starting job"?
I guess theoretically you could find someone with more F/C flexibility so he could backup two different spots and get more playing time that way but realistically, I expect us to downgrade at backup C.

The context should have been to win a NC or be a top conference contending team.

My post was making that point but I guess I will do that from now.

He didn't play enough because he was always in foul trouble (fouled out 11 times) but we rolled with Jimmy at center instead. Didn't have to be that way.

The amount of mins Jimmy played center wasn’t going to be a difference maker in franks time. Jimmy’s not here anymore and Frank is still leaving. He wants more than being a 10-12 min backup.

Honestly doesn’t need to be a true 5. We have seen that in the past. There are multiple scenarios that can play out. We can find a versatile 4. Say a Lydon type for example who either starts at the 4 and can slide to the 5 to back up Edwards. Or if Cole comes back you tell the kid he competes with Benny or at WORST is the first kid off the bench and is the 3rd forward and back up 5. Either scenario you get a good enough kid he’s probably playing at least 25 mpg. We all know Edwards is getting at least 30mpg unless he gets into foul trouble so I think the scenarios I just outlined are the most ideal

Honestly doesn’t need to be a true 5. We have seen that in the past. There are multiple scenarios that can play out. We can find a versatile 4. Say a Lydon type for example who either starts at the 4 and can slide to the 5 to back up Edwards. Or if Cole comes back you tell the kid he competes with Benny or at WORST is the first kid off the bench and is the 3rd forward and back up 5. Either scenario you get a good enough kid he’s probably playing at least 25 mpg. We all know Edwards is getting at least 30mpg unless he gets into foul trouble so I think the scenarios I just outlined are the most ideal
Right on. Am guessing, though, that JB sees M.Brown as that guy - and he wants him getting the minutes/doesn't want a portal guy getting those minutes over him

The amount of mins Jimmy played center wasn’t going to be a difference maker in franks time. Jimmy’s not here anymore and Frank is still leaving. He wants more than being a 10-12 min backup.
How can you say this?
It’s an opinion like opinions you disagree with.
The opposite take has no more truth than your opinion.

There isn’t a minute last season where Jimmy should have played C over Frank.
We had enough offense last year that the defense of Frank was way more important than playing Jimmy at C.

How can you say this?

We had enough offense last year that the defense of Frank was way more important than playing Jimmy at C.
I know everybody loves Frank and I did too. He is too limited offensively to make waves anywhere.

Why does the "thumbs down" icon turn into what looks like a particularly uncomfortable lady's shoe when it appears at the bottom of a post?
Hey - Elton John could rock those shoes like a champ!

How can you say this?

So if Frank had played every single minute of Jimmy’s minutes at the 5 it would have put Frank in the 20-25 range? Wrong. Fact.

So if Frank had played every single minute of Jimmy’s minutes at the 5 it would have put Frank in the 20-25 range? Wrong. Fact.
Don't act like Jimmy was not a factor.

Fare thee well, Frank The Tank.

I hope you have many more nice little Saturdays in your future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom