Frank Howard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard

There was no rolling by the bigs, that was the problem. We used high screens (way too high at times), but not many PnRs and when we did run them, we had a lot of problems with the bigs finishing. Take my assessment for what it's worth, which is likely very little as I don't rewatch the games with an eye towards these things.

I agree with that assessment but what it did was highlight how badly our guards finished at the rim and it effected the way teams defended us moving forward.

There was no rolling by the bigs, that was the problem. We used high screens (way too high at times), but not many PnRs and when we did run them, we had a lot of problems with the bigs finishing. Take my assessment for what it's worth, which is likely very little as I don't rewatch the games with an eye towards these things.

We also used the wrong guys. What's the point of Roberson in the pick and roll? We also had a real problem with Gillon getting picked up by a 6'10" guy on the switch when Lydon did the PNR and then Gillon had no shot of making the right pass.

We also used the wrong guys. What's the point of Roberson in the pick and roll? We also had a real problem with Gillon getting picked up by a 6'10" guy on the switch when Lydon did the PNR and then Gillon had no shot of making the right pass.

The game is evolving to a point where a guy like Roberson can become a real liability offensively.

The game is evolving to a point where a guy like Roberson can become a real liability offensively.

The most effective way we could have used him this year would have been as an intermediary to a PNR with Gillon and Lydon. Gillon pass to Robey after the pick, then Robey feeds Lydon when he's got a guard on him. Bigs are better at making that pass, and Robey could have then crashed the boards in the case Lydon missed or was double teamed.

Frank finished better in the last two games, but he was just miserable at finishing drives early in the year. He seemed to be in between dunking, using the back board, or finger rolling each one. And that one dunk attempt he had from the side of the basket going against a 6'10" guy was one of the worst choices I've ever seen.

Honestly, I wish we had more guys try to dunk on people, ill advised or not.

That is kind of my point, though. The few times we did try made me think that it wasn't something that we actively practiced. I remember in HS we used to practice the offense and when certain opportunities were missed, the coach would stop everyone and point it out, like "hey, the pick and roll was set up here and you went right past it." Then we would start all over again. And it would get run like that almost every practice until it was second nature, or at least familiar.

I don't see SU practice, but I kind of have the impression, based on post-game pressers, that if the guys struggle with something, JB dismisses the concept as if they are incapable of learning it. It may simply be a function of needing to practice the defense so much that it reduces the amount of time available and the offense struggles, both half-court and transition. SU teams used to be multi-dimensional, regardless of the talent, whereas the offense now seems to be increasingly dependent on the talent.

Have we ever had two PG's that both picked up the ball for no reason so many times between the halfcourt and 3pt line for no reason with nothing yet going on in the half court set? They also both did a whole lot of pointless dribbling 30ish feet from the basket that accomplished nothing. I wouldn't say Howard is outright slow and you are correct in the open court he does pretty well moving the ball its halfcourt and in traffic he struggled. I wouldn't say he has the quickest first step either has he did have issues beating defenders off the bounce.

Kaleb Joseph and Gbinije did this constantly too. I think we're one or two point guards away from wondering if it's the players or something else...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom