Frank Maloney's old outside linebacker coach is doing pretty good. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Maloney's old outside linebacker coach is doing pretty good.

Yeah, and had his star break a collarbone running into the unpadded Dome wall! That easily cost SU a couple of wins. Joe was unstoppable up to that point.
Absolutely. Total lack of foresight by someone.

Point remains, he didn't have years of recruiting for the Dome
Never said he did.

BTW, you do realize the OP you quoted of mine was written 4+ years ago, right? I'm not trying to speak ill of the dead here.

Frank was not a great football coach by any means. A lot of the criticisms of Paul Pasqualoni were also made in his time. His strategies became predictable and he didn't make in-game adjustments or clock management decisions well. When his teams got beat, they too often got beat badly. Hopes would rise and then collapse like a bad souffle.

His legacy is that we were on the verge of losing the football program when he came here and he lad little to work with in terms of returning players, budget and facilities and yet we still had a football program when his tenure ended,. THAT was an upset. He did coach in the Dome for one year but he really didn't get a chance to recruit using it. Just as when Coach P was fired, a new AD wanted his own man in there and felt that he could find someone better. Jake found someone better. Daryl did not.

Frank Maloney and Doug Marrone: two peas from the same pod.
Both were good football guys.
Both found themselves limited by the lack of facilities.
Neither could stand the hot glare :noidea: of the Syracuse press.

I just can’t make that comparison.

Frank was not a great football coach by any means. A lot of the criticisms of Paul Pasqualoni were also made in his time. His strategies became predictable and he didn't make in-game adjustments or clock management decisions well. When his teams got beat, they too often got beat badly. Hopes would rise and then collapse like a bad souffle.

His legacy is that we were on the verge of losing the football program when he came here and he lad little to work with in terms of returning players, budget and facilities and yet we still had a football program when his tenure ended,. THAT was an upset. He did coach in the Dome for one year but he really didn't get a chance to recruit using it. Just as when Coach P was fired, a new AD wanted his own man in there and felt that he could find someone better. Jake found someone better. Daryl did not.

Maloney ran a fairly complicated offense - despite appearances.

Recall who his OC was.

Gross didn’t fire P.

I feel like the Frank Maloney era is kind of a memory hole.

Maloney ran a fairly complicated offense - despite appearances.

Recall who his OC was.

Gross didn’t fire P.
I’m almost 100% sure gross fired P after 6-6 year and losing in the bowl game.

It always did seem that Coach Maloney viewed it as his team versus the world.

He arrived on the Hill with great enthusiasm and seemed to become very insulated from the community. The DUI was I guess the final straw.

Mike Bright always used to tell us when we would grab a beer at the "Orange Grove" on Wescott Street that Frank Maloney was the one who got us the Carrier Dome - he always had great things to say about him.

What’s Mike Bright doing these days?