Free Jessie edwards | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Free Jessie edwards

He reminded me of Rony Seikaly as a freshman. Rangy and athletic, but the thing was that he attacked. He attacked the ball on defense, he attacked rebounds and he attacked the rim. He needs a lot more muscle, but our interior defense was so much better with him in there. I thought the 3 guard offense with Jesse and QG was our best lineup tonight.
Rony was before my time but I’ve heard it took him a bit to get going. Wish I got to watch him play though. Sounds like he eventually became really strong too.

JB has to build on this game and make sure Edwards and Kadary get quality minutes in the next game. He can’t do what he did to Braswell tonight.

Somebody has to be the odd man out. Buddy played SF for big stretches today, which worked very well. When that happens, along with an actual Center playing Center, Braswell is going to be left out.

Somebody has to be the odd man out. Buddy played SF for big stretches today, which worked very well. When that happens, along with an actual Center playing Center, Braswell is going to be left out.
Against better, more athletic teams we will need more of Griffin inside. I understand he’s had issues on defense but he rebounds the ball and has been very good at weak side blocks. Things Buddy just isn’t athletic enough to do. Matchup dependent as many things should be.

He reminded me of Rony Seikaly as a freshman. Rangy and athletic, but the thing was that he attacked. He attacked the ball on defense, he attacked rebounds and he attacked the rim. He needs a lot more muscle, but our interior defense was so much better with him in there. I thought the 3 guard offense with Jesse and QG was our best lineup tonight.
I'm rooting for Jesse to be successful. He has a lot of potential, but people forget that he was pretty inexperienced when he arrived in the US from the Netherlands midway through his final year in HS. At that point, he enrolled at IMG Academy, but IIRC, he didn't play on their top team. So he was pretty raw when he arrived at SU last year. And this year, his development has been especially hindered by the pandemic. He was stuck in the Netherlands for much of the summer, and he had to quarantine for 2 weeks when he finally got back to the US. And once the season started, practices have been limited by more COVID problems. I think he's coming along pretty well, given all of those disadvantages.

Rony was before my time but I’ve heard it took him a bit to get going. Wish I got to watch him play though. Sounds like he eventually became really strong too.

Rony was very raw for the first year or so .. but athletically he was in a different stratosphere than edwards... and in fact any other center in the country right now

Rony was very raw for the first year or so .. but athletically he was in a different stratosphere than edwards... and in fact any other center in the country right now
agree he was naturally more aggressive. but i am thrilled that jb woke up and got edwards some real time.

Edwards is super raw, but I’d rather see him playing the 5 instead of the warped strategy of playing 165lb Marek at that position.
It appears obvious to everyone but the HOFer that maybe that’s not such a great move against EVERY opponent. Maybe as a changeup during a game to shake things up, but not as a base strategy. Thats just stupid. JMHO

He ended up being a stud at SU and was the Heat's first ever draft pick when he went 9th over all. He nearly averaged a double/double for his career in the NBA, and that was during an era filled with alltime great centers that he played against.

Edwards is super raw, but I’d rather see him playing the 5 instead of the warped strategy of playing 165lb Marek at that position.
It appears obvious to everyone but the HOFer that maybe that’s not such a great move against EVERY opponent. Maybe as a changeup during a game to shake things up, but not as a base strategy. Thats just stupid. JMHO

It’s amazing that he doesn’t just get better by not playing .. you can only develop so much in practice ... 5 minutes of game action is worth more than 5 weeks of practice .. playing in games also informs you very clearly and succinctly as to what you must work on ..the entire “he’s not ready “ crap is just that .. some need to play or they’ll never be ready .. it’s not like we were winning when he wasn’t playing

From now on when JB says a player is not ready he’s really saying I‘m failing in developing our players And getting them playing time. That is his job!

I wasn’t ready to be a dad till I had a kid .. it’s amazing how fast I got ready after that .. in fact .. had I not had a kid .. I don’t think I’d ever have been ready

His first year, he got yelled at and got the Freshman Fab Melo treatment, getting yanked and yelled at for every mistake.

By sophomore year, it was starting to come together, but he would often still get in foul trouble because his footwork wasn't quite there yet. My father-in-law used to say Seikaly was slow back in those days, but it was really that his footwork wasn't polished yet.

I'm not saying Jesse is Rony, the finished product, but the aggression he showed out there yesterday was giving me flashbacks, in a good way.

Marek is a big part of our rebounding problem. He has seven rebounds in our last THREE games. That’s a problem.
He doesn't always actually try to grab the board, preferring instead to try to tap it to someone else. It just doesn't work, especially against teams with players that are taller and longer than him. He just plays so much better at the forward position. He and Jesse together last night were some of our most effective defense.

damn straight! i hope his presense continues in there cause like u said the defense in better with him or even frank anselem in there
Who knows when sibide will be back

Want to say on the record...Jesse is going to have hideous games against good teams where he fouls out in like 10 mins like etan used to, that’s no reason not to use him the next game, imo. We need a center.
thats very possible but he better continue to be him or A CENTER in the rotation! im sorry marek i love his game dfont get me wrong but i DO NOT want to see him at the center position for obvious reasons

damn straight! i hope his presense continues in there cause like u said the defense in better with him or even frank anselem in there
Who knows when sibide will be back
I just watched the whole game on ACC NETWORK and edwards made the most of every minute being a big disturbance out there. I love his attitude out there, also really goes at the boards and IMO has a reAL good feel for the zone from what i could see. hopefully he keeps progressing!! with good minutes at the 5 on both sides we could be dangerous, THIS SEASON!

I liked what I saw with him last night. He needs time there. Seems he's the clear backup now (maybe JBA transfers).

I liked what I saw with him last night. He needs time there. Seems he's the clear backup now (maybe JBA transfers).
i wouldnt have a problem with him doing that because i also really love anselem's potential!!

i wouldnt have a problem with him doing that because i also really love anselem's potential!!
One of two of JBA and Jesse (wouldnt even blame both) will transfer after this year. Frank will ride this out another year or two in hopes of getting the starting gig

It sucks the alternative to Marek is someone just as skinny who is better off tipping rebounds to a teammate than bringing them down himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom