Free Jessie edwards | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Free Jessie edwards

He doesn't always actually try to grab the board, preferring instead to try to tap it to someone else. It just doesn't work, especially against teams with players that are taller and longer than him. He just plays so much better at the forward position. He and Jesse together last night were some of our most effective defense.
That is because he is a forward forced into playing center by our injuries.

Forwards should still be able to rebound though.
It's about matchups. When a forward is matched against a similarly sized forward, he has a better chance to get position and fight for the rebound. If he's matched up against a bigger center, that's more difficult.

Marek is gone Sid isnt a player that has made it through a season.
Edwards and Frank are our centers.

It's about matchups. When a forward is matched against a similarly sized forward, he has a better chance to get position and fight for the rebound. If he's matched up against a bigger center, that's more difficult.
That’s true in man to man but not in a zone. I don’t buy this excuse about him being played out of position when it comes to rebounding, sure I agree when it comes to playing the middle of the zone but not the rebounding aspect to it. He’s 6”10 and playing major minutes. Rebounding is about attacking the ball and going after it aggressively, Dennis Rodman was 6”7 but wanted rebounds more than he wanted air to breathe. Marek needs to be more aggressive on the boards. Defensively I get it, but there’s no reason for the amount of time he plays that he should be rebounding this poorly.

That’s true in man to man but not in a zone. I don’t buy this excuse about him being played out of position when it comes to rebounding, sure I agree when it comes to playing the middle of the zone but not the rebounding aspect to it. He’s 6”10 and playing major minutes. Rebounding is about attacking the ball and going after it aggressively, Dennis Rodman was 6”7 but wanted rebounds more than he wanted air to breathe. Marek needs to be more aggressive on the boards. Defensively I get it, but there’s no reason for the amount of time he plays that he should be rebounding this poorly.
Marek doesn't have the size or strength required to rebound in a crowd. He gives it his all but he is physically overmatched.

Marek doesn't have the size or strength required to rebound in a crowd. He gives it his all but he is physically overmatched.
I disagree. I think he just lacks aggressiveness. He doesn’t go up strong and try to grab it.

I disagree. I think he just lacks aggressiveness. He doesn’t go up strong and try to grab it.
He cant go up strong because he isnt strong. He is a 6'10 190 pound finesse European player who is more Guard than Center. By all accounts he doesn't exactly embrace the training table. He loves pizza and cigarettes. He has been forced to play a position he isnt physically equipped to play.

It certainly matters in zone. When you're positioned closer to the biggest guy on the other team, you're more likely to get pushed out of the way. It also leads to the whole front line being smaller. If we had a real sized center in there and Marek was rebounding from a wing position along with QG, we would fair quite a bit better. Dennis Rodman is a poor example because he is a wild exception to the rule. We will likely never see someone of his size rebound like that again.

Last edited:
It certainly matters in zone. When you're positioned closer to the biggest guy on the other team, you're more likely to get pushed out of the way. It also leads to the whole front line being smaller. If we had a real sized center in there and Marek was rebounding from a wing position along with QG, we would fair quite a bit better. Dennis Rodman is a poor example because he is a wild exception to the rule. We will likely never see someone of his size rebound like that again.
That’s fair. Rodman is an outlier I suppose and I do agree rebounding is about positioning but I also standby what I said. He needs to be more aggressive and attack the ball rather than letting it come to him. I think both things can be true.

He cant go up strong because he isnt strong. He is a 6'10 190 pound finesse European player who is more Guard than Center. By all accounts he doesn't exactly embrace the training table. He loves pizza and cigarettes. He has been forced to play a position he isnt physically equipped to play.
Smoke em if u got em

Marek is gone Sid isnt a player that has made it through a season.
Edwards and Frank are our centers.
And hopefully we add a good transfer.

That’s fair. Rodman is an outlier I suppose and I do agree rebounding is about positioning but I also standby what I said. He needs to be more aggressive and attack the ball rather than letting it come to him. I think both things can be true.
I agree with the attacking the ball part. I don't think that's unique to Marek though. I don't think we coach rebounding well. There are certain teams that always seem to be strong with rebounding, I think because it's a point of emphasis. I don't think we emphasize it.

Doesn’t matter at all but why not throw him out there for the final 2 mins out of the last time out? Would have been nice to show him some love then.

My connect (best friends with one of the staff members) alluded before the season, that one of the centers who doesn't win out a role, will transfer. They were 100% sure of it.

I could see Sid exercising that 5th year or we nab a grad transfer for the staring gig and have Frank back it up for one more year with JBA 100% transferring and likelihood of Edwards leaving too is still there.

JW is going to pressure JB a bit this off season about the roster. To get an ACC caliber squad out there especially if everyone returns (Q, Griff) and we all know the guard position isnt gonna change (insert eye roll) but one position that can change is the center position
Listen I am not going to complain that much because we just had a great win over a pretty good team I mean 11-2, ranked fairly high Virginia tech squad! It's always good to get a significant win toward selection Sunday but the fact that he just always goes Unrelentlessly Playing 6 to 7 guys max rotation. That is my only beef with him I mean Jesse Edwards is in there for one minute n like one guy scores on him and you just give them the hook on the bench rest of the game!
Kids do not come here to sit on the bench all season If there is a legitimate reason they should be getting some minutes I mean how else are you going to get progression, practice of course but game like situations is always better.
So yes transfers are always going to be A situation here as long as boeheim is here.I mean don't get me wrong I'm thankful but it just aggravates me a little bit that he just doesn't in my opinion does not adapt to certain situations but whatever it is what it is could be worse. At least this team is starting to look like the team I thought they would be but that center position is going to be a problem at times, unless he does something about it besides playing marek 38 minutes at the center position.

Today's game was 100 pct matchup. Marek was a nightmare for smaller VT as they could not guard him. Next game we will need him ready to roll. He was not jailed today.
Lets hope not! You just answered my question thank you

Yeah, but the last 3-4 minutes with a 20 point lead was the perfect chance to get him on the floor to keep getting his feet wet.

It was. And JB is gonna JB so considering that reality I was factoring historical precedent into my response.

Doesn’t matter at all but why not throw him out there for the final 2 mins out of the last time out? Would have been nice to show him some love then.
Total (BS. ) from coach Boeheim team comes back on the court from an official time out with 2:30 to go in the game up 23 points and of course he has 4 starters with Kadary on the court to finish the game I don't care what anyone say's Jesse deserved to be out their for those final 2 1/2 minutes as well as any other scholarship player who suited up today these kids bust their A$$ in practice everyday and god forbid if one of our starters gets hurt in the last couple of minutes that would really hurt us.

Total (BS. ) from coach Boeheim team comes back on the court from an official time out with 2:30 to go in the game up 23 points and of course he has 4 starters with Kadary on the court to finish the game I don't care what anyone say's Jesse deserved to be out their for those final 2 1/2 minutes as well as any other scholarship player who suited up today these kids bust their A$$ in practice everyday and god forbid if one of our starters gets hurt in the last couple of minutes that would really hurt us.
should have been out there the last 4-5 minutes

THIS. EXACTLY.

ZERO valid reason not to put all of the backups in.

Hell!! Or even the walkons at that point.
(ok, that’s hyperbole. But only barely.)

We were up 18 w 4 minutes left.

Call TO (if the media one doesn’t happen), put in Kadary, Jesse, Bras, Woody, & another dude.

IF the lead is still like at 14 under 2, call another TO and put all the walk-ons in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom