Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Chandler+Jones+Syracuse+v+Washington+3iOaevo7Ybkl.jpg

Jones cleared

Syracuse University football star defensive end Chandler Jones started full contact practice this week after missing five consecutive games for the Orange.
Jones, who was seen with a knee brace on his left leg in Syracuse’s last home game against Rutgers, is expected to start when Syracuse hosts West Virginia at 8 p.m. next Friday.

He was officially listed with a “lower body injury” after Syracuse’s opening-day win against Wake Forest. Ultimately, Jones will have missed six weeks of football.
WD

NewsChannel 9 will simulcast ESPN radio's local Syracuse sports talk show

10 Players earn midseason honors

Premium

Antwon+Bailey+Syracuse+v+USC+Ehl7J4yUAHhl.jpg

Midseason Review: Atwon Bailey

Video

Marrone says Orange are on the brink
Recruiting

Junior Highlights: DE Dajaun Drennon

The game features two of Long Island's super backs in Floyd's Stacey Bedell, who has 1,033 yards rushing and 16 touchdowns, and Sachem North's Dalton Crossan, who has 984 yards and...
Call it the battle for the Hansen Award: Dalton Crossan vs. Stacey Bedell

Next Opponent

So far, West Virginia is living up to preseason predictions in Big East football conference

Saban might be in WVU corner, but will it help?

Mountaineers Work on Timing

WVU quarterback Geno Smith continues to light up the scoreboard

Former Players

8939629-large.jpg

SS Steve Gregory continues to start after Bob Sanders was forced to injured reserve with a knee injury. Gregory can cover the range, although he's not the physical presence that Sanders was; few are. Gregory, though, was a no-show on Sunday's stat sheet with zero tackles on a day when the defense allowed 162 yards rushing.
SDS

Doug Hogue (hamstring) was listed as limited on the injury report.
DN

Senior quarterback David Legree is averaging 229 passing yards, second-best in the MEAC. Thomas is just one weapon at the disposal of Legree, leading the league with 279.8 yards of total offense per game. Quarterback Chris Walley, is atop the MEAC with 232.5 passing yards per game - 3.5 more than Legree.

"I know he’s a great quarterback," Legree said. "I haven’t been able to see him much because we’ve been focusing on defense, but numbers don’t lie. He’s doing an excellent job. I wish him the best, but this isn’t a me-against-him type of thing. I’m just looking forward to being against their defense. I don’t play defense and he doesn’t play defense, so it’s basically about Hampton versus Norfolk. Hopefully we can go out there and get the W."

About Legree, Adrian said: "David is big playmaker. There’s no question about it. You’ve got to try and slow him down, because you’re not going to stop him. He can beat you with his feet or his arm. You’ve got to try to contain him in space, and you’ve got to make sure you’re able to cover the receivers, and then the running backs are like little darts who can fly around.
DP

dwight.freeney.oprc-5370-mid.jpg

Memorable 'hits' from Freeney

If Addai can't go against the Bengals, the Colts will call on Donald Brown to carry their running game. Rookies Delone Carter and Darren Evans also might see time Sunday. It's been Carter who has subbed for Addai in the Colts' trying season. Evans was activated from the practice squad.

Addai leads the team with 249 yards rushing. Carter has 41 carries for 125 yards. Coaches aren't rushing to make a decision on whether to start Carter this week

“We’ll make that determination a little bit later in the week, kind of see where Joe is before there’s a real determination on it," Caldwell told The Indianapolis Star. "We’ll see. So many (things) happen throughout the course of a week.”
TSN

ojinnaka-face.jpg

Quinn Ojinnaka Short learning curve for Colts'

GH: As Orangemen, we know Jimmy Brown is the greatest offensive player to come out of Syracuse. Is Freeney the greatest defensive player to come out of the ‘Cuse?

DL: If you look at his numbers, his sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries; you’d have to say he’s the greatest defensive playmaker to come out of Syracuse. He’s a playmaking fool.
CB

An attempt to briefly recap Al Davis' life as a Jew

Around The Big East

1128_large.jpg

Navy reluctant to join Big East

This should be interesting
Big East to vote on increasing exit fees on Friday

UConn's Herbst Caught In Athletic Money Squeeze

Big East Week 7 Preview

Temple, Villanova on edge as Big East deliberates | Philadelphia ...

Big East could face uncertain hold on BCS spot

UCF remains quiet on Big East talks

ACC News

clemsonfight.jpg

Clemson Prez Shoots Down SEC Talk

No easy answer to ACC debate

Around The Nation

Mizzou's distance sours SEC

Breaking down the BCS system

Remember Curtis Dukes?

Give credit to Hoke -- and Rich-Rod -- for Michigan's success

The best NCAA coaches are teachers, so why shouldn’t they all have to try?

Pat Forde Leaves ESPN For Yahoo: A Nation Of Dorks (Like Myself) Weeps

High School

8865397-standardtroy.jpg

Skaneateles quarterback, Troy Green, is Honor Athlete of the Week

Weekend walk-through: Virginia

Blogs

BCS Predictions 2011: Big East Should Not Get Automatic-Qualifying Bid

Delone Carter and 4 Players Guaranteed to Disappoint

Syracuse Honors 8 LetterWinners of Distinction, You're Not One Of Them