Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

-c555e8ab2e73a38f.JPG

Kaleb Joseph

Kaleb Joseph: 'I'm Not Tyler Ennis' (PS; Carlson)

In the span of 60 minutes, Joseph displayed the reason he could struggle initially as a true freshman point guard at Syracuse, flashed the reason most expect him to ultimately succeed, and showcased why all the comparisons he'll undoubtedly hear this season are as inaccurate as they are inevitable.

"I don't compare him to Tyler (Ennis)," Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins said. "I compare him to Jonny Flynn and Jason Hart. Tyler Ennis was old school. Those other guys are new school point guards. Tyler valued the ball like it was a piece of gold. He was like a coach on the floor in that he wasn't high risk. Those other guys, they're great athletes. Instead of hitting singles, it's grand slams."

With a quick first step and long arms and legs, Hopkins considers Joseph to be as good an athlete as any point guard in the 2014 recruiting class.

14556597-mmmain.jpg

Jerami Grant

Syracuse's Jerami Grant Stands Out Among Draft Hopefuls at NBA Combine (PS; Waters)

While all the players taking part in this week's NBA combine in Chicago hope to set themselves apart on the court, Syracuse's Jerami Grant managed to stand out off the court on Thursday.

Grant, the former Syracuse University player, had one of the best standing reach measurements of the 60 players at the NBA draft combine. Grant's standing reach was measured at 8 feet, 11 inches. That was the second-highest reach among the small forwards at the combine and it was higher than Kentucky power forward Julius Randle (8-9), Florida power forward Patric Young (8-7), Arizona forward Aaron Gordon (8-9) and North Carolina forward James Michael McAdoo (8-10).

14948873-mmmain.jpg

Tyler Ennis

SU PG Tyler Ennis Doesn't Work Out at NBA Combine But is Still a Hot Topic on ESPN (PS; Waters)

In the game of basketball today, whether it's in college or the NBA, the action often comes down to a simple pick-and-roll. Or in modern vernacular, the ball screen.

Tyler Ennis' ability to come off a screen near the top of the key and make the right decision with the ball was the first thing Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara raved about when the Syracuse team convened to practice before an exhibition tour of Canada last August. And that same ability was what had the ESPN analysts raving during ESPNU's coverage of the NBA draft combine in Chicago on Thursday.

"I think he has the ability to make plays coming off ball screens,'' ESPN analyst and former Duke All-America Jay Williams said. "His ability to make reads off screen is imperative (in the NBA).''

14531365-mmmain.jpg

CJ Fair

ESPN Analysts Discuss Merits of CJ Fair at NBA Combine (PS; Waters)

C.J. Fair played four years at Syracuse University. He led the Orange in scoring as both a junior and a senior, started every game in the last two seasons and left as the school's 15th-highest scorer with 1,660 points.

So the NBA scouts have had plenty of time to get a bead on the 6-foot-8 small forward. Which is probably what led to this statement from ESPN basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla during ESPNU's coverage of the NBA combine in Chicago on Thursday.

"It's the old story about a guy who's been around so long we've picked him apart,'' Fraschilla said.

ACC News

ACC Coaches Agree to a 30 Second Clock for Exhibition Games (PS; Poliquin)

Those who cherish college basketball and correspondingly mourn what has become of it over these past few years should thank Jeremiah for having been a bullfrog and then bust out a little "Joy To The World."

And here is why: The Atlantic Coast Conference coaches, apparently recognizing how they and their peers have suffocated the sport, have agreed to operate with a 30-second clock in next season's exhibition affairs.

Other

Slideshow of Lessons from Thursday NBA Combine Workouts (BR; Wasserman)

There were plenty of high-profile executives and coaches in the gym Thursday for the NBA Draft Combine. And while most of the high-profile prospects stayed on the sidelines in sandals and sweats, some intriguing talent participated in drills.

Between the action on the floor, the big names off it and the bevy of evaluators and decision-makers looking on, there was plenty to take away from the first day of actual action at the combine.

Interactive Query Tool for APR for all US Colleges (PS; Billmyer)

How well does your college do educating and graduating its college athletes?

Will they be able to play in postseason games?

The NCAA Wednesday released its latest data that answers those questions: The NCAA Academic Progress Rates.

A team must clear the NCAA's threshold of a 900 score over four years or 930 over two years to qualify for the postseason. A perfect score is 1,000.

In 2014-15, the NCAA standards get stricter. By then, the NCAA will require teams to post a four-year score of 930 or a two-year average of 940 to play in the postseason.

14946810-mmmain.jpg

Breanna Stewart, Best Female Basketball Player on the Planet/MC of the Onondaga County Special Olympics

Breanna Stewart, Home for Most of the Summer, Supports Special Olympics (PS; Ditota)

Breanna Stewart seemed right at home Thursday. The University of Connecticut women's basketball star acted as Master of Ceremonies, then spent the day mingling with athletes and their families at the Special Olympics event at Cicero-North Syracuse High School.

Stewart, of course, grew up in North Syracuse and first gained fame for her basketball skills when she played at C-NS. In March, her Huskies finished 40-0, won a second straight national championship. Stewart took home a second straight Final Four MVP award.

She has volunteered at the Special Olympics since she attended C-NS. As kids joyfully sprinted, tossed bean bags and big balls, jumped into sand pits and enjoyed the day, Stewart talked about a few things between autographs and photos:

SU Fan Gets Owned on His Wedding Day (Video) (collegespun.com; Lombardi)

When your favorite team wins a national championship in your favorite sport, it can certainly feel like the best day of your life. But is it actually?

This past Saturday, two Syracuse University graduates tied the knot at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City, overlooking New York City. Appropriately, much of the talk of the evening was about “New York’s College Team” – the Orange, since many of the guests also attended the university. In fact, one of the best men even spoke about the basketball program and its run to the national title back in 2003. But in the below video, you’ll see that he didn’t just feel like reminiscing about SU’s on-court accomplishments, he’d thought long and hard about how to get the groom, a die-hard Orange fan, to admit he was wrong about something he’d said 11 years ago.

That groom, by the way, was me. In short, I got owned on my wedding day. Enjoy:

Great article on Joseph. I'm really excited what he's going to bring to the table next year, especially about pushng the ball on the fast break. Something that this year's team could have usd A LOT more.

Great article on Joseph. I'm really excited what he's going to bring to the table next year, especially about pushng the ball on the fast break. Something that this year's team could have usd A LOT more.

Yep I'm looking forward to watching him play. Tyler was awesome - just imagine where we would have been without him. But looking forward to a little higher tempo with Joseph even if it comes with a few more turnovers.

What kind of best man puts you on the spot where you have to lie to your new wife in front of friends and family?