Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

Recruiting

moustapha-diagnejpg-01047e3354c143a1.jpg

-f253c62236dae91d.jpg

SU Basketball Target Moutsapha Diagne Will Announce His College Choice May 30th (PS; Ditota)

Moustapha Diagne, the 6-foot-9 big man out of Pope John XXIII High School in Sparta, N.J., will make a decision on his college future May 30.

Pope John coach Jason Hasson said last month that Diagne would likely select a school some time in May; Diagne specified the date for At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. in a storyprotected by a pay wall.

Syracuse has been courting Diagne for some time. He has visited the SU campus on a couple occasions, including his participation in last summer's Elite camp.

Diagne told At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. that he has narrowed his list to Syracuse and Memphis. The Orange has consistently been mentioned as the likely landing spot for the Senegalese power forward. Former SU big man Baye Moussa Keita also hails from Senegal. SU assistant Adrian Autry has been the primary recruiter of Diagne.

SU News

10259484_616648451756286_836416928_n-jpg.10796

SU Center Dajuan Coleman Juiced His Way to a Slimmer. Trimmer Self (PS; Waters)

Dajuan Coleman had just undergone surgery on his left knee.

It was late January and he would be on crutches for several weeks. Coleman, the starting center on the Syracuse University basketball team, already carried 282 pounds on his 6-foot-9 frame and he worried about gaining weight during his recovery from surgery.

Then he saw a video on YouTube about juicing. A juicing diet consisted of nothing but using a juicer to mix fruits and vegetables into concoctions with names like Mean Green or Garden Variety.

"After I saw the video that motivated me,'' Coleman said recently. "I'm on these crutches for almost three months, I had to do something to keep my weight down. Something had to happen. I tried it and it worked.''

Coleman stayed on a strict juice diet for 15 days. He didn't eat any foods. He drank his juiced fruits and veggies four to five times a day. He lost 24 pounds, dropping from 282 pounds down to 258.

Ron 'Buss' Patterson Returns to School and Practice After Brief Hospitalization (PS; Ditota)

SU coach Jim Boeheim, citing confidentiality laws about medical conditions, could not specify the ailment that landed Patterson in the hospital.

"He had a little thing. He's fine," Boeheim said this morning. "He's out of the hospital. He's working out again."

Patterson is in Syracuse participating in summer workouts with his Orange teammates. He declined, through SU spokesman Pete Moore, to discuss his hospitalization.

ACC News

WVU Transfer Terry Henderson Considering Wake, NC State (fayobserver.com; Strelow)

Former Players

pistons-76ers-basketb-murrjpg-d17c672013006810.jpg

MCW Has Found a Home in Philadelphia

MCW Leads NBA All-Rookie Team (PS; Axe)

Former Syracuse University basketball guard Michael Carter-Williams has been named to the NBA's all-rookie team for the 2013-'14 season.

Carter-Williams was the only unanimous first-team selection.

MCW was named the NBA's rookie of the year earlier this month.

Carter-Williams averaged 16.7 points, 6.3 assists and 6.2 rebounds this past season becoming just the third rookie since 1950-51 to lead all rookies in scoring, rebounding and assists, joining Oscar Robertson and Alvan Adams on that list.

Other

14992746-mmmain.jpg

SU AD Dr Daryl Gross

SU Faculty Clains Distruct Over Sports Spending; School to Simplify Budget (PS; Carlson)

Over the past year, members of the Syracuse faculty have grown more suspicious and unhappy with the school's spending on athletics, a strain that new chancellor Kent Syverud has spent the first three months of his tenure trying to clean up.

Syverud inherited a budget process that faculty members say lacked "transparency," caused "distrust" and made the athletic budget "the most controversial subject on campus."

Those were the assessments of the University Senate faculty budget committee in its most recent report. The University Senate serves as an advisory group to Syverud.

Since taking over in January, Syverud has asked that faculty committee to make athletics one of its three primary focuses. The Board of Trustees also created a group to oversee athletics, an apparent effort to create more oversight of the athletic department and reduce tensions between academics and athletics.

Author Emily Giffin Gets Help From JB on Her Latest Book (PS; Ditota)

Jim Boeheim describes best-selling author Emily Giffin as a "college basketball nut."

The two met at Basketball Hall of Fame induction ceremony festivities for Giffin's close friend, Ralph Sampson. They shared a mutual friend in former Wake Forest coach Dave Odom. Giffin said when she was 10 years old, her immediate life goal was to work as a manager for an ACC men's basketball program.

"So I wrote to coaches, before I was accepted at universities, to see where I would go to college," she confessed.

Highlights From 1990 SU-Pitt Basketball Game (youtube)