Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

maxresdefault.jpg

SU Recruit Tyler Lydon Makes First Cut for USA Basketball Team (PS; Ditota)

Malachi Richardson Did Not Make the Cut

Tyler Lydon has survived the first cut in USA Basketball's U18 tryouts in Colorado Springs.

The 6-foot-9 Class of 2015 forward, who committed verbally to Syracuse last fall, is one of 15 players who will fight for 12 roster spots. USA Basketball will announce the 12-player team on or before June 19.

Malachi Richardson, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard who has also committed to SU, was on the 24-man training camp roster but was sent home today.

"I thought the group all-together was really, really great. Now that we've narrowed it down to 15 guys, we'll get a chance to practice with those guys," said U18 and University of Florida coach Billy Donovan. "As I've said, it's not necessarily about having the 12 best players but having the 12 best guys that will make up the best team. I think with these 15 players there are a lot of options to choose from. This group is very talented and really good."

JT3Gtown.jpg

Here's How Georgetown Will Handle Ticketing for Home Games with Syracuse (washingtonpost.com; Allen)

I reached out to the Georgetown athletics department for a comment on how tickets will be handled for Syracuse games in the future.

“As is standard in agreements such as these, the visiting team will receive an allotment of tickets and the home team will control the sale and distribution of all remaining tickets,” a Georgetown spokesman said via e-mail. “The visiting team and home team are free to sell/distribute their ticket allotments as they choose. Georgetown Athletics plans to continue its practice of providing priority access for tickets to those who buy multi-game plans or who support Georgetown Athletics.”

-6e7bfdd439f4c2a0.JPG

JB Has the Longest Tenure of Any D1 College Basketball Coach (PS; Stevens)

It should come as little surprise that Jim Boeheim, now on the job as Syracuse's head basketball coach for 38 years, 2 months and 3 days, possesses the longest tenure in one job among active Division I coaches.

ACC Coaching Tenures

Nor should it be stunning to find Duke's Mike Krzyzewski (34 years, 2 months and 19 days) slotted at No. 2.

Still, it might be a little unexpected to find the rest of the ACC providing stability unlike any other conference, particularly in its latest configuration.

Notre Dame's Mike Brey is 24th in tenure. Rick Pitino of Louisville is 25th. Checking in at No. 32 in Florida State's Leonard Hamilton, with North Carolina's Roy Williams (No. 38) and Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon (No. 39) nearly cracking the top 10 percent of the list.

Former Players

-c60cdbf9db0ee965.JPG

Report: SU Legend Stevie Thompson Will be Hired as Oregon State Assistant (PS; Ditota)

Former Syracuse basketball forward Stephen Thompson is poised to become Wayne Tinkle's assistant coach at Oregon State, The Oregonian is reporting.

Thompson, for nine years the head coach at Division II Cal State-LA, left that program after his team compiled a 15-12 record in 2013-14. His career mark at that school was 126-120. It's unclear what led to Thompson's departure; The Oregonian reported he had been fired. Thompson was replaced in April by Dieter Horton, who had been a USC assistant.

Tinkle, the former Montana head coach, was hired last month to replace Craig Robinson, who might be better known as President Obama's brother-in-law. SU assistant coach Mike Hopkins was a finalist for that job.

Tinkle, who led Montana to NCAA Tournament berths in three of the last five years (including last season, when his Grizzlies were crushed by Syracuse) has hired two other assistant coaches in Kerry Rupp and Gregg Gottlieb (brother of TV analyst Doug Gottlieb).

-dc71553092de0318.jpg

Greg 'Kid' Kohls

Vote for the Best Player to Ever Wear #33 (PS; Waters)

Finalists for jersey No. 33
Greg Kohls

His name may not be favorable to most Syracuse fans under the age of 50, but in the 1970-71 and 1971-72 seasons, Greg "Kid'' Kohls had the greatest two-year stretch of any SU player this side of Dave Bing.

As a junior, Kohls averaged 22.1 points per game. He had scored just 2.2 points per game as a sophomore. It was the biggest jump in a player's scoring average in SU history. Remarkably, he didn't lead SU in scoring. Bill Smith, a senior center, scored 22.7 points per game.

Then, as a senior in 1971-72, Kohls averaged 26.7 points per game. That is the second-highest scoring average in SU history, surpassed only by Dave Bing's average of 28.4 in the 1965-66 season.

ACC News

U of L Deal with Gauge ACC Fervor (courier-journal.com; Lintner)

The University of Louisville has offered football-basketball ticket combination deals in the past, but this year's plays to the hottest topic in Cardinals athletics.

To coincide with U of L's move to the Atlantic Coast Conference, the school is selling for $500 upper-level tickets to five home football games and all home men's basketball games, including the ACC slate that brings both Duke and North Carolina to the KFC Yum! Center.

"With moving into the ACC, we wanted to offer a unique package to our fans who do not have season tickets for both football and basketball," said Brad Barber, U of L's assistant athletic director for tickets/operations.

Other

Drew Gooden on Melo to Miami: 'It's Never Going to Happen' (PS; Carlson)

On Thursday, ESPN reported that Miami officials and its key players have already discussed extending the team's dominance by transitioning its Big Three into a Big Four and adding Anthony to the mix.

The pairing of four superstars, all attracted to Miami through free agency, would up the ante in an NBA world in which players appear to be picking their destinations and creating their own powerhouses, taking the true authority away from coaches and general managers.

At least some NBA players are dubious about the league taking such an unprecedented step.

"It's never going to happen first of all, so don't get too excited," said Washington's Drew Gooden, who was in Syracuse as part of the Sportscaster U broadcasting program, which is led by Syracuse play-by-play voice Matt Park. "I don't think that's the route that Carmelo, deep down inside, wants to go. I don't think that's the route he wants to go and I don't think it will ever happen as much as they say they'd like it."

Richard Hamilton on Paying College Players: 'I Would Have Stayed in School' (PS; Carlson)

Former Connecticut basketball star Richard Hamilton said Thursday that he would have stayed in school for his senior year if college athletes were allowed to be paid by the NCAA.

Hamilton said he believes college athletes deserve at least some payment for their role in the college sports industry and, in some cases, paying players would curb the early entry to the NBA that college fans and coaches often complain about.

"I would have stayed in school," Hamilton said. "I think so, I think so. For me it was about timing but also financial situation. It was a chance to take care of the people that took care of you your entire life. Sometimes when you're in college, you can't do the stuff you want to do for financial reasons. If you have people helping you out or the NCAA helping you out, I think guys would think twice about going to the NBA. (If you're getting paid) a lot of needs, not wants, but their needs are taken care of."