Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

-4afb573120464611.JPG

SU Incoming Frosh Chris McCullough Bears Weight of Expectations: 'That's The Next Prodigy Right There' (PS; Ditota)

The tattoo artist inked the cross, settled serenely into a cocoon of clouds and birds with the pertinent date and the R.I.P. inscription, onto Chris McCullough's right arm.

Syracuse University's acclaimed freshman forward sees it when he slips a tank top over his sinewy body. He sees it when he prepares for a jump shot, when he grabs a rebound, when he rises each morning to restore order to his bedroom.

Dreams perish in the Bronx. They disappear into the blunt brutality of the streets or dissolve into quiet despair. McCullough has learned to balance lofty ambition with the weight of an expectant environment, to steer "positive" while keeping a watchful, careful distance from pockets of potential trouble.

The neighborhood's simmering violence inspired McCullough's mom, Brenda Ryer, to exile him to successive prep schools in New England. McCullough's tattooed tribute to a friend adds a layer of intimacy to her decision.

-220beca354850b2a.jpg

Moustapha Diagne Goes Up Against LeBron in Vegas (PS; Waters)

For players throughout the NBA, going up against LeBron James can be a nightmare.

James is a 6-foot-9, 265-pound athletic freak and unarguably the best player in the NBA over the past several years.

But for high school players lucky enough to receive an invite to the LeBron James Skills Academy in Las Vegas, going up against King James can be the thrill of a lifetime.

Syracuse recruit Moustapha Diagne got to experience the greatness of LeBron up close on Wednesday. Diagne, who committed to Syracuse in May, got the opportunity to test himself against James during this week's LeBron James Skills Academy.

Diagne tweeted about his experience late Wednesday night.

Recruiting

xxx-wiggins42596_07-x-large.jpg

SU Basketball Offers Top 5 Class of 2016 Recruit Harry Giles (PS; Waters)

Syracuse University is apparently making a push for one of the top-rated players in the 2016 class.

Syracuse recently offered a scholarship to Harry Giles, a 6-foot-9 forward from Winston-Salem, N.C., who is ranked as high as No. 2 in his class. Syracuse's offer was first reported via Twitter by Justin Byerly of phenomhoopreport.com. Giles then retweeted several other tweets that repeated the initial report.

Giles is a consensus top 5 recruit in the 2016 class despite missing all of his sophomore season at Wesleyan Christian Academy in Winston-Salem. Giles tore the ACL and MCL in his left knee in June of 2013 while playing for the USA Basketball Under-16 team. Giles was playing for the USA in a game against Uruguay in the FIBA World Championships in Argentina.

Former Players

Brandon Triche Meets Phil Jackson, Learns Triangle Offense (PS; Ditota)

Brandon Triche admits his nerves failed him.

Earlier this week, the former Jamesville-DeWitt and Syracuse University guard met New York Knicks president Phil Jackson in Las Vegas, where Triche is preparing for his NBA Summer League debut.

"I was dribbling the ball when I met him and the ball kind of bounced off my foot," Triche said by telephone today. "Then, I tried to put one arm on a table and the table started moving. It was pretty funny. I was nervous."

arinze-onuaku-mike-moser-1cbfca246bdeac53.jpg

Arinze Onuaku Lifts Pacers to Win in NBA Summer League Game (PS; Waters)

Arinze Onuaku put together his best performance yet on Thursday while playing for the Indiana Pacers in the NBA's Summer League in Orlando.

Onuaku, the former Syracuse University center, collected 10 points and nine rebounds as the Pacers defeated the Miami 84-74 at the Amway Center on Thursday afternoon.

Onuaku made five out of eight shots from the field. He also had three assists and a key block in the final minute of the game. Onuaku logged 24 minutes, 22 seconds of playing time, which is his longest stint in the Pacers' four games in Orlando.

The announcers for NBA TV's telecast of the Indiana-Miami game offered several praises for Onuaku's efforts. However, play-by-play man Vince Cellini and color analyst Kendall Gill consistently mangled Onuaku's name throughout the broadcast. They referred to the former SU player as Oh-KNEW-a-ku. The correct pronunciation is Oh-nu-WAH-ku.

ESPN Mocks Jerami Grant for Epic Dunk Fail in NBA Summer League (PS; Herbert)

Former Syracuse basketball star Jerami Grant is getting mocked by ESPN for his "Epic Dunk Fail" in the NBA Summer League.

The sports network published a video of the 6-foot-8 forward missing a slam dunk for the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday. Grant is seen driving into the paint against the Houston Rockets in Orlando and making a great head fake for an opening. He then bounces the ball off the rim on his jam attempt and falls to the floor.

Missed baskets happen all the time -- Grant shot 48.6 percent in his career at SU -- but some felt embarrassed for the 20-year-old rookie because his father, Harvey Grant, was in the stands.

"Missing a dunk = bad," ESPN wrote on its official Twitter account Wednesday. "Missing a dunk in front of your dad who's an ex-NBA player = #SCNotTop10 bad."

I don't follow the NBA at all, but it just seems like Grant is fairly well doomed as to his basketball career. I hope it's not true. Even the photos I have seen of him, he has this look on his face like "what have I done?"

I always though it was "Oh-KNEW-a-ku"

Actually, there's not much difference between that and "Oh-nu-WAH-ku"

I wouldn't exactly describe that as a "mangling".

The McCullough story makes reference to Karlton Hines: