Friday | Syracusefan.com

Friday

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Former Woodbury Football Standout Dyshawn Davis Prepares for Senior Season at Syracuse (nj.com; Odenbrett)

When Dyshawn Davis committed to play football at Syracuse University, he imagined himself becoming the face and leader of a team in sore need of one.

Now heading into his senior year, the Woodbury High School product and starting linebacker is one of the brightest stars at Syracuse and with a solid final season, could win one of college football’s top awards and even have NFL dreams on the horizon.

After standing out as a freshman and taking his game to a new level the past two seasons by helping the Orange to consecutive bowl games, Davis is looking forward to capping off his college career on a high note.

“I’ve had some success the past three years, but now that I’m a senior and this is my last go around, I’m just trying be the best I can be for my teammates and coaches,” Davis said. “I want to do whatever I can do to lead my team to a bowl game.”

Davis isn’t the only one who has high expectations for his performance this upcoming season, as he was recently named to the watch list for the Butkus Award, annually given to the nation’s top linebacker. Previous winners of the award include NFL stars like Von Miller, Patrick Willis and Luke Kuechly.

Vanderbilt AD Says Commodores Are Talking with Syracuse About a Future Football Series (ncaa.com; Walker)

Williams also is toughening the football schedule for the future. Starting in 2016, SEC teams will be required to play at least one game against a team from either the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten, Pac-12 or Big 12 — the Big Five. Vanderbilt currently is scheduled to play Georgia Tech in 2016.

Vanderbilt's non-conference opponents this season are Temple, Old Dominion, Massachusetts and Charleston Southern. Williams said they are talking with Stanford, Indiana, Wake Forest, Boston College, North Carolina State, Duke, Kansas State, California, Syracuse and Virginia.

"We are trying to make the schedule a little bit more competitive if you like, and that does require us to change some of the teams we've looked at and start to deal with more with home and home as opposed to buy-in games," Williams said.

SU Football Defensive Coaches Met with Michigan State Staff Before Spring Practice (PS; Mink)

It was not only the offensive coaching staff that ventured out on offseason retreats to talk ball with other schools or organizations.

The Syracuse defensive coaches spent a day in East Lansing, Mich. to visit with members of the Michigan State defensive staff in early March.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer has deep ties to Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi dating back to their days at Rhode Island and Northern Illinois. Defensive backs coach Fred Reed has a good relationship with Spartans secondary coach Harlon Barnett, and defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough's family has a rich history with the school, with Chuck having both played and coached in East Lansing.

With those sturdy bonds in place, coupled with the fact Michigan State was coming off a year in which it won the Rose Bowl with perhaps the nation's best defense, it was a no brainer for the Syracuse staff to fly out there this offseason to learn.

SU LB Coach Clark Lea Discusses His Four True Freshman Linebackers (PS; Mink)

Syracuse started replenishing its supply of linebackers last recruiting cycle with the foresight that unit will undergo a major transition phase following the 2014 season.

The school signed four players in February: Parris Bennett, Zaire Franklin, Colton Moskal and Jonathan Thomas enrolled last month and will start practicing with the team when training camp opens in early August.

New summer rules have given linebackers coach Clark Lea access to the freshmen, including the chance to study film and get a jump on learning concepts and terminology that has not been afforded in previous years.

That's one reason why Lea is hopeful any one of them can accelerate their development and be in a position to contribute this year. Syracuse is not lacking on its frontline. It returns a dynamic pair on the outside in veterans Dyshawn Davis and Cam Lynch. And Marqez Hodge emerged this spring as a starter in the middle. But even with a few veterans providing depth, the window for the freshmen to earn a role has not shut.

SU's New Play Calling System Helps QB Terrel Hunt Run SU's Uptempo Offense (PS; Bailey)

Life as Syracuse's starting quarterback got a whole lot easier for Terrel Hunt at the start of spring practice.

That's when the SU coaching staff changed its play-calling system, one of the latest alterations made to optimize a faster-paced offense this season.

Previously, Hunt would get the play call in from the sideline and have to divvy out assignments to each of the other players in the huddle. By the time he got to the line of scrimmage, he would have 10 seconds to read the defense and snap the ball.

"By the time I call, 'Hike,' I don't even know what I'm reading," Hunt said in an interview on Wednesday.

Now, the running backs and receivers get the play call from their positional coaches. All Hunt has to do is worry about the offensive line, which has also cut down on verbiage cues to expedite the pre-snap process.

13747055-mmmain.jpg

Terrel Hunt Bonds with Jameis Winston, other QBs at Manning Camp (PS; Bailey)

Terrel Hunt was fast asleep in his bed one morning at Manning Passing Academy this weekend when he heard someone banging on his door. It was around 6:30 a.m. and he had gone out with a number of the other college counselors the night before.

Hunt rolled out of bed, walked to the door and opened it to see Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston.

"I was like, 'What are you doing? It's early. Breakfast doesn't start until like 7:30,'" Hunt said, "He's like, 'Yeah, but everyone else is asleep and I'm up.' I heard that and I was like, 'Oh, I'm getting up.' I don't ever want to be the one that's sleeping and missing an opportunity."

Terrel Hunt Listed as 5th Best ACC QB Prospect in 2015 Draft (nepatriotsdraft.com; Loyko)

Hickey Listed #2 at OT, Dyshawn Davis #2 at LB, Durell Eskridge #2 Safety

Top Five Draft Eligible Prospects by Position

Quarterbacks

1) Jameis Winston, Florida State (RSo.) – The reigning Heisman Trophy winner and leading contender for the #1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. Winston should lead Florida State into the National Championship discussion once again.

2) Anthony Boone, Duke (Sr.) – David Cutcliffe protege is poised for a huge season after breaking out in 2013. Boone leads a talented Duke offense and should post huge numbers in Cutcliffe’s passing system.

3) Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina St. (Jr.) - After sitting out last season to complete his transfer from Florida the former top High School recruit finally gets his chance to run the show. Brissett has NFL size and a big throwing arm. With an impressive season he could rise quickly in the eyes of NFL personnel.

4) Cole Stoudt, Clemson (Sr.) – Sat behind Tajh Boyd for three season and now Stoudt finally gets his chance to lead the high powered Tiger offense. Stoudt has shown flashes when given a chance to play the last three seasons, amassing a 72.3% completion rate and a 8 touchdowns to only 1 interception. He’ll have to fight off incoming Freshman Deshawn Watson to hold the job.

5) Terrell Hunt, Syracuse (Jr.) – Well-built, dual threat QB began to emerge late last season. His performance against Boston College really impressed me and I’m anxious to see how Hunt builds upon the momentum he established last fall.

-7fce7ce0126a012c.jpg

Teddy Bridgewater On the Bench as Syracuse Crushed UL 45-26

SU 2014 Opponent Preview: UL Brings Back Petrino and Moves On From Bridgewater (PS; Mink)

Rolling right along in our series previewing all 12 opponents in 2014, it's time to move into the ACC with newcomer Louisville.

I think most Syracuse fans remember the last time the Cardinals visited the Carrier Dome, and this year's game should have plenty of hype seeing as it's Syracuse's conference opener and will be held on a Friday night.

The game is also being dubbed an "Orange Out" by the SU marketing crew. Could this be the night Syracuse breaks out its all-orange look?

To help fill your notebook with some early impressions on Louisville, I called on Jeff Greer of the Louisville Courier-Journal to drop some knowledge on the 'Ville.

Scott Shafer to Appear on ESPN "Car Wash" on Monday July 28th (tigernet.com)

All 14 Atlantic Coast Conference head football coaches will take part in ESPN's annual mid-summer "car wash" on Monday, July 28 and Tuesday, July 29.

Pitt's Paul Chryst, North Carolina's Larry Fedora, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson, Virginia's Mike London, Louisville's Bobby Petrino and Syracuse's Scott Shafer are slated to make the rounds during the Monday session.

The Tuesday session on July 29 will feature Boston College's Steve Addazio, Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer, Wake Forest's Dave Clawson, NC State's Dave Doeren, Duke's David Cutcliffe, Miami's Al Golden and Clemson's Dabo Swinney.

The ESPN "car wash" - in which guests appear across multiple programs and platforms over one day - will expand this year to include 63 coaches at ESPN's Bristol, Connecticut, headquarters from July 21-31. Last summer, ESPN hosted 50 coaches from July 22-August 1.

SU vs Miami Highlights from 1979, Kelly's First Game in Buffalo (PS; Axe)

Brent is a little late to the party. This video was discussed at some length on this site several weeks ago...
October 27, 1979.

It was on that day 35 years ago the Syracuse University football team took on the Miami Hurricanes at Rich Stadium in Orchard Park, New York.

It didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time as the 4-3 Orange took on the 3-3 Hurricanes before just 7,729 fans on a brisk autumn day in Orchard Park that topped out at 45 degrees.

But to a Syracuse University football and Buffalo Bills fan, it's an absolute gem to look back on for a number of reasons.

b99308760z.1_20140717211814_000_gam71rrl.1-1.jpg

Blaise Winter Now Motivational Speaker (jsonline.com; Hendricks)

Blaise Winter strives to change lives, one person at a time.

The former Green Bay defensive lineman from 1988-'90 travels the country as a motivational speaker and teacher of his hand-combat techniques for football — techniques he gleaned from martial arts training.

Winter, 52, is doing what he loves, trying to motivate and help athletes and coaches from high school to the pros. He also speaks at corporate events or to any group looking to improve performance.

ACC Football

Teel Time: ACC Coastal Division Remains Baffling After Last Season's Near 5=Way Tie (dailypress.com; Teel)

Media attending the ACC Football Kickoff have picked Virginia Tech to finish first or second in each of the Coastal Division’s nine years. They’ve tabbed Duke for fifth or worse in all of those seasons and haven’t pegged North Carolina for first place, division or overall, since 1984.

All of those trends are in jeopardy Sunday and Monday when the league hosts its annual preseason gabfest at Grandover Resort, a John Swofford lob wedge away from conference HQ in Greensboro, N.C.

Polling for the ACC’s Atlantic Division is more foregone than Obama’s approval rating in Alabama. Headlined byHeisman Trophy quarterback Jameis Winston, reigning national champion Florida State is the overwhelming favorite, followed by Clemson and newcomer Louisville – the Cardinals went a combined 23-3 the last years but lost quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to the NFL and coach Charlie Strong to Texas.

Conversely, the incomprehensible Coastal figures to divide the electorate, with North Carolina, Virginia Tech, defending champ Duke and Miami as credible contenders.

Base your handicapping on quarterbacks? The Blue Devils’ Anthony Boone and Tar Heels’ Marquise Williams are the division’s most accomplished.

Defense wins championships? Hello, Hokies.

14763145-mmmain.jpg

Cole Stoudt, Son of Cliff, is Set to Take Over for Tajh Boyd as the Clemson Starting QB

ACC 2014 Season Preview: Clemson Offense Transitions After Loss of Stars (PS; Stevens)

2013 record: 11-2 (7-1 ACC)

2013 postseason: Beat Ohio State in the Orange Bowl

Last season without a bowl appearance: 2005

Coach: Dabo Swinney (51-23 in six seasons at Clemson)

Coordinators: Chad Morris (offense, 4th season), Marion Hobby (co-defense, 3rd season), Brent Venables (co-defense, 2nd season)

All-conference returnees: DE Vic Beasley (first team), LB Stephone Anthony (third team), DT Grady Jarrett (honorable mention)

Notable losses: QB Tajh Boyd, CB Bashaud Breeland, WR Martavis Bryant, K Chandler Catanzaro, TB Roderick McDowell, G Tyler Shatley, LB Spencer Shuey, T Brandon Thomas, WR Sammy Watkins

Rising name to know: QB Cole Stoudt. If there was any doubt Stoudt would head into camp (and almost certainly the season) as the Tigers' starter, it was removed when Chad Kelly was dismissed from the program just days after throwing a sideline tantrum during the spring game. Stoudt, who takes over for the record-setting Boyd, threw for eight touchdowns against only one interception as a backup the last three years.

Hempfield PA OL Tony Pilato Commits to Pitt (cardiachill.com; FloodCityPanther)

Pitt received their 12th commitment for the class of 2014, when Tony Pilato made the choice to stay with his hometown team. Pilato plays his high school ball for nearby Hempfield High School in Greensburg. The Hempfield Spartan is rated as a three star offensive lineman according to Rivals, Scout, and 24/7. Pilato gets ranked as the 17th best player in Pennsylvania, and 30th by Rivals. He chose the Panthers over offers from Maryland, Minnesota, Syracuse, and Virginia.

Pilato is a massive offensive lineman, and he certainly fits into the Paul Chryst mold of player. He stands in at an imposing 6'7" and weighs in at a lean 290 pounds. In fact, Pilato is likely one of the most athletic offensive line recruits in the country, as he is the starting center for the successful Hempfield basketball team. Pilato exhibits his athleticism on the football field as well, and moves very well for a player his size.

College Football

13511032-mmmain.jpg

BC HC Steve Addazio

PS College Football Preview/Haiku Fest: Nos. 61-65 (BC Eyeing Another Bowl Bid; PS; Stevens)

64. BOSTON COLLEGE

One of the lamest criticisms of any coach is "he won with someone else's players." What, was he supposed to wait three or four years before he starts winning? That's a sure-fire way to make few friends and generate minimal goodwill.

So this sentence is offered up as praise, not as cynicism: The season arcs of 2011 Temple and 2013 Boston College suggests Steve Addazio is pretty good at winning with someone else's player. Some of that is a credit to not forcing the guys he inherits into a system he prefers.

Last year, he took over a limited Boston College offense, decided the path to victory was a whole lot of Andre Williams handoffs and voila! The Eagles won seven games a year after the Frank Spaziani era came to a listless 2-10 end. They were even competitive with both Clemson and Florida State, giving the Seminoles the only thing remotely like a scare prior to the national title game.

It was a really good first impression, and there's a decent chance the Eagles squeak into another bowl game this season. It won't be easy, but there are enough toss-ups in the Atlantic Division and three winnable nonconference games to keep things afloat.

Florida transfer Tyler Murphy, who has more than a passing familiarity with Addazio given their mutual time in Gainesville, should be a solid enough bridge option at quarterback between four-year starter Chase Rettig and whoever emerges next season. Williams and his ACC record 2,177 yards will be missed, but the offensive line will remain a strength. Boston College isn't a division contender, but it is no longer a doormat, either.

Boston College in haiku:

"How Coaching Matters"
Not a real book, but could be
Eagles textbook case

I'd still like the idea of titling the daily articles "Eyes on the Orange" as a tip of the hat to Orangeyes. That has staying power.

LOL - I was at that SU-Miami game at Rich Stadium. Me and 7000 of my closest friends. :D

If we can get another home and home with another SEC school that would be awesome.

I think Davis is going to be very special this year.

LOL - I was at that SU-Miami game at Rich Stadium. Me and 7000 of my closest friends. :D
I went to an SU game in Buffalo. Don't remember which one. I think SU won. What I do remember is that the Buffalo Jills acted as ushers. Yowzah!

Florida seems to have trouble keeping their QB's happy.
Recent QB transfers:

Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina St
Tyler Murphy, Boston College
Max Staver, East Mississippi Community College