from Boneyard posted by a Cuse poster | Syracusefan.com

from Boneyard posted by a Cuse poster

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
"Correct. Frank struggles against smaller guards who apply the pressure, and sometimes he gets frustrated and baited into stupid offensive fouls (charges, moving screens, over the back, or just aggresive bumps). We're hopeful he'll be able to provide 10-15 minutes tomorrow, that would be a big help, even if only for his 5 fouls."

"Correct. Frank struggles against smaller guards who apply the pressure, and sometimes he gets frustrated and baited into stupid offensive fouls (charges, moving screens, over the back, or just aggressive bumps). We're hopeful he'll be able to provide 10-15 minutes tomorrow, that would be a big help, even if only for his 5 fouls."
What's your point?

Since you're not comprehending this well, I'll elaborate on my assessment. Frank sometimes does struggle against pressure, and can have a loose handle and turn the ball over, sometimes on "dumb" plays. He also sometimes gets frustrated and makes unforced errors and fouls. Since he may not play, that puts us at a significant disadvantage against a team that wants to pressure us for 40 minutes, even if he's not exactly Chris Paul with the rock. If either Battle OR Hughes OR Carey OR Boeheim get in foul trouble, it may be tough for us. Having a Frank Howard, even if he's 70%, able to step onto the court for 4-5 minutes at a time, and give guys a rest if they are in foul trouble, will expand JB's options, hence the 5 fouls comment. Frank can play 10 minutes and not worry about fouling out, since he likely won't have to worry about playing 40 minutes like he did all of last season.

Understand now?

Last edited:
Frank averaged 2.5 fouls per game last season playing almost 40mpg.
You can't just look at averages for a statistic like this. That's like saying "On an average day, I have no property loss, so I don't need home insurance".

In 37 games, he committed:
  • 3 fouls in 9 games
  • 4 fouls in 7 games
  • 5 fouls in 2 games
So he was in "foul trouble" roughly 50% of the games.

You can't just look at averages for a statistic like this. That's like saying "On an average day, I have no property loss, so I don't need home insurance".

• 3 fouls in 9 games
  • 4 fouls in 7 games
  • 5 fouls in 2 games

I don’t think 3 fouls for a full game is being in foul trouble unless he got them all in the first half. And how many of the 4 foul games included an intentional since we were down late several times? Other than the MSU game I don’t remember anything unusual as to fouling.

• 3 fouls in 9 games
  • 4 fouls in 7 games
  • 5 fouls in 2 games

Uh, 3 fouls is hardly "foul trouble".
Especially when spread over the 39+ minutes he typically played.

my-brain-hurts-5222306.png

I don’t think 3 fouls for a full game is being in foul trouble unless he got them all in the first half. And how many of the 4 foul games included an intentional since we were down late several times? Other than the MSU game I don’t remember anything unusual as to fouling.
3 fouls before 10:00 in the second half is foul trouble. You're one play away from having to play pedestrian defense for the rest of the game. You'll show up on the "Foul Trouble" chart on ESPN. It absolutely affects your aggressiveness on defense and can change an opponent's strategy, and try to attack your side of the zone/defense, and try to draw charges/flops on you.