From CBS' Dennis Dodd | Syracusefan.com

From CBS' Dennis Dodd

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
ACC: Remember that big deal with ESPN that doubled the ACC's rights intake in July? It's about to go up. John Swofford is going to leverage the addition of Syracuse and Pittsburgh to claim that the ACC has the entire Eastern seaboard, including New York. That's worth a lot more than $1.86 billion over 12 years.

Good news for Syracuse. I hope the average per team will go up with this deal, as well.

ACC network?
The reason these TV deals have increased substantially has everything to do with the amount an independent B10 network can bring in, and so it goes...

Wait, wait, I thought that Rutgers was the key to "claiming" the NYC market. Jeez, you'd think the ACC would have taken them and then staked this claim.

One nice thing about the expanded ACC, albeit a small one, is that it is a pretty well-named conference when others are a mishmash. Every team is from a state that has some Atlantic coastline, with the qualified exception of Pitt. (I cut them slack because it's not their fault some orange-tanned gum-chewing ignoramus is blocking their view and won't move.) And you can walk from Boston to Miami without having to leave the conference's footprint.

What I don't understand is the rationale by the Big Ten is adding to the footprint, and adding teams with a national appeal like Nebraska, to add additional TV sets where the BTN is on basic cable. Now if this is the rationale, football gives you 13 Saturdays of event programming per year.

Yes, the ACC isn't the Big Ten for football, but there are also 28-game basketball schedules in a superior conference. Wouldn't you think that this, coupled with football, would be enough to get an ACC Network on basic cable in states within the footprint?

Anybody know how much Cuse will make per year in the ACC, as compared to Big East? Even a ballpark number would be appreciated.

Anybody know how much Cuse will make per year in the ACC, as compared to Big East? Even a ballpark number would be appreciated.
With the current $1.86 billion for 12 years deal, the 12 teams were making roughly $13-14 million/year. With Syracuse and Pitt, that average drops to $10-11 million per year, per team...the deal should be restructured, though, and all teams will probably make around at minimum $15 million, I would assume. Bringing in new, popular markets, more quality programs should make the ACC worth more than its previous deal averaged.

It's safe to say that Swofford will leverage ACC basketball for a huge payout too.

ESPN was already obsessed with ACC basketball. Add SU and Pitt, knock the Big East down a few notches, and you have yourself some big time bargaining chips.

I would expect the ACC to own at least 3 nights on ESPN.

SU was making $3.7 mil in the BE ... $2 mil for the basketball TV contract, and $1.7 for the football portion.

Also, can we get the Saturday night prime-time ESPN final spot for the championship for basketball?

Might take a re-arrangement in the schedule, but with 14 teams they will be forced to do something different anyway. I have always hated conferences that finish on Sunday.

The only time Rutgers is on TV in NYC is when they play SU. Otherwise I don't think hardly any of their games are on. Almost all SU games are carried by a combo of ESPN, SNY, MSG.

Does anyone know if our contract for games on SNY is via the ESPN contract, or through the BE? If through the BE, we will probably have to say goodbye to that outlet.

ACC network?

This would be sweet, I think. I watch the BTN a lot, and I am not a fan of those teams(I do watch Indiana softball and Volleyball with my daughter). They have a lot of programing, live games and such, including shows regarding individual teams within the conference. Nice, informative set up they have. I would love to see the ACC be able to do that.

To go from 3.7 million a year to about 11 million a year, minimum, is the easiest decision TGD will ever make at SU.

To go from 3.7 million a year to about 11 million a year, minimum, is the easiest decision TGD will ever make at SU.

Firing GROB was an easier decision.

Wait, wait, I thought that Rutgers was the key to "claiming" the NYC market. Jeez, you'd think the ACC would have taken them and then staked this claim.

One nice thing about the expanded ACC, albeit a small one, is that it is a pretty well-named conference when others are a mishmash. Every team is from a state that has some Atlantic coastline, with the qualified exception of Pitt. (I cut them slack because it's not their fault some orange-tanned gum-chewing ignoramus is blocking their view and won't move.) And you can walk from Boston to Miami without having to leave the conference's footprint.

Also, it's in the same time zone...imagine that.

What I don't understand is the rationale by the Big Ten is adding to the footprint, and adding teams with a national appeal like Nebraska, to add additional TV sets where the BTN is on basic cable. Now if this is the rationale, football gives you 13 Saturdays of event programming per year.

Yes, the ACC isn't the Big Ten for football, but there are also 28-game basketball schedules in a superior conference. Wouldn't you think that this, coupled with football, would be enough to get an ACC Network on basic cable in states within the footprint?
There is much more than those 2 sports. Think about lacrosse. Then think about baseball. Then think about soccer and women's sports, tennis and golf.

There is much more than those 2 sports. Think about lacrosse. Then think about baseball. Then think about soccer and women's sports, tennis and golf.

And curling.

Does anyone know if our contract for games on SNY is via the ESPN contract, or through the BE? If through the BE, we will probably have to say goodbye to that outlet.

Been thinking about that. Doesn't do us much good if we can't attend ACC games (distance) or watch them on TV. We may want UConn or Rutgers to join the ACC so we can get coverage in the Northeast.

Pretty sure the SNY deal was done through us, it had nothing to do with ESPN or the BE.

Pretty sure the SNY deal was done through us, it had nothing to do with ESPN or the BE.

That would be a good thing. Given this move, the Univ has to make the games as accessible as possible.