From Football side: Maryland and Rutgers possible to B1G | Syracusefan.com

From Football side: Maryland and Rutgers possible to B1G

arbitragegls

All Conference
Note recent update from ESPN...

The University of Maryland is in serious negotiations to join the Big Ten Conference, sources told ESPN.com on Saturday.

If Maryland goes to the Big Ten, Rutgers of the Big East is expected to follow suit. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

No date has been set for an potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday.

The important part of that article is also if that happens UCONN->ACC to replace. Bah.

The important part of that article is also if that happens UCONN->ACC to replace. Bah.
Uconn is only one of several teams that have contacted the ACC in past two weeks...can't say anymore but update later tonight or tomorrow as information is passed on.

Why would Maryland leave the ACC for the Big 10? They must be scared of us...LOL. If this does happen hopefully they will change the name of the Comfrence. The Big 10 is stupid if you have 14 teams in the Confrence.

Why would Maryland leave the ACC for the Big 10? They must be scared of us...LOL. If this does happen hopefully they will change the name of the Comfrence. The Big 10 is stupid if you have 14 teams in the Confrence.
Because if you get an offer from the Big Ten or the SEC you go. Those 2 conferences will on average dwarf the payouts per year from the other conferences

Anyone think Maryland leaving will affect our Baltimore area recruiting in a negative way? We get a ton of players from there and we had the GTown connection and were going to have the Maryland connection

The Maryland board not in favor, even with Tuxedo trying to convince them what a good idea it is. One graduate said if it happens he's done with the school.

Anyone think Maryland leaving will affect our Baltimore area recruiting in a negative way? We get a ton of players from there and we had the GTown connection and were going to have the Maryland connection
I thought that too. Not having an annual presence in the Baltimore/DC market could negatively effect our recruiting there and we get a lot of talent from those markets. Could the ACC consider Georgetown as a replacement in all sports but football? (I feel dirty even considering that but...).

It has been a stupid name since Penn State joined.

Acc will never grab gtown as a basketball only, so maryland is big for DC recruiting. Hope the acc fights it off.

There are 50 millions reasons for the Terps not to do this. Plus they've dropped 7 sports due to money already. Who comes up with the dough? Can't come from the endowment, can it. Can't come from the state can it?- taxpayers would go ballistic.

There are 50 millions reasons for the Terps not to do this. Plus they've dropped 7 sports due to money already. Who comes up with the dough? Can't come from the endowment, can it. Can't come from the state can it?- taxpayers would go ballistic.
underall company

As a Maryland taxpayer, I'm sure not going to support giving the university the money to leave the ACC, when any money like that should go to support education!

As a Maryland taxpayer, I'm sure not going to support giving the university the money to leave the ACC, when any money like that should go to support education!
under armour has you covered

Has anyone else asked what the big ten is gaining in maryland and rutgers besides a few television sets? Neither are really attractive programs at this point. What do they bring really? and what is the acc really losing? Maryland bball hasn't been that great lately and football hasn't either. Rutgers has been opportunistic in football and bball has sucked and will continue to suck. Now football will suck because the competition will get harder.

Has anyone else asked what the big ten is gaining in maryland and rutgers besides a few television sets? Neither are really attractive programs at this point. What do they bring really? and what is the acc really losing? Maryland bball hasn't been that great lately and football hasn't either. Rutgers has been opportunistic in football and bball has sucked and will continue to suck. Now football will suck because the competition will get harder.
The DC recruiting footprint...Under Armour...NYC

Those are my guesses at least

What the ACC needs to do then is just take from them. Penn State is the first one I would target and I'm sure they already have targeted. Why not take from the Big Twelve? Ok? and ok state? kansas and kstate? I mean Big12 can crumble at any point if Scott decides to go to 16 which he will at some point because if they want to play with the Big boys they need to move to 16 anyways. Where are they going to look besides the Big12?

What the ACC needs to do then is just take from them. Penn State is the first one I would target and I'm sure they already have targeted. Why not take from the Big Twelve? Ok? and ok state? kansas and kstate? I mean Big12 can crumble at any point if Scott decides to go to 16 which he will at some point because if they want to play with the Big boys they need to move to 16 anyways. Where are they going to look besides the Big12?
ACC has the least power of the Pac12, Big10, Big12 and SEC.

No way in hell Penn State leaves.

And yes, there is no way the Maryland alumns will be happy with this. Under Armour is a huge factor in this

Some of the money could come from the Big 10.

ACC has the least power of the Pac12, Big10, Big12 and SEC.

No way in hell Penn State leaves.

And yes, there is no way the Maryland alumns will be happy with this. Under Armour is a huge factor in this
That's not true

Wish you were right... but its happening. Could spell disaster for the ACC

Yeah, Maryland, Maryland that is, has the ACC on its knees... :bat: Your doom & gloom post is a bit extreme to say the least. Oh Lord

People get clouded judgement when it comes to these expansion talks, just get way too excited. Did anybody think this might be a propaganda spiel done by the BIG? They see the rumors of PSU possibly thinking about leaving. They wait until Saturday during the heart of college football season and unleash this doozy. But, all they got is RU and Maryland for their big story. Is anybody honestly worried? Or do they just love the speculation?