From Football side: Maryland and Rutgers possible to B1G | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

From Football side: Maryland and Rutgers possible to B1G

Yeah, Maryland, Maryland that is, has the ACC on its knees... :bat: Your doom & gloom post is a bit extreme to say the least. Oh Lord
Right because FSU and Clemson have NEVER shown interest in going elsewhere. :crazy:. Sometimes ya have to pull your head outta the sand, or elsewhere, in order to deal properly with problems at hand.

Right because FSU and Clemson have NEVER shown interest in going elsewhere. :crazy:. Sometimes ya have to pull your head outta the sand, or elsewhere, in order to deal properly with problems at hand.
Maryland ain't going to cause the dominoes to fall.

Maryland ain't going to cause the dominoes to fall.
Possibly... but the larger issue would be if they could succesfully challenge the $50 mill exit fee in court and whether FSU and Clem would feel about Marylands replacement. If that fee were to get knocked down and UConn smells too much like a BBall school... dominos certainly could start falling.

Possibly... but the larger issue would be if they could succesfully challenge the $50 mill exit fee in court and whether FSU and Clem would feel about Marylands replacement. If that fee were to get knocked down and UConn smells too much like a BBall school... dominos certainly could start falling.
Where are they going, to the big 12 another unstable conference?

Where are they going, to the big 12 another unstable conference?
Yes... maybe anyway. If the ACC appears to be weak than it will become so. The Big 12 may not be super stable now. But were the ACC to fold, or be stripped of its Top tier status by multiple defections, it would stabalize the Big 12 as there would be a new weak conf to feed upon.

The ACC is about to acquire us, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame hopefully football soon too. There going to be fine.

The important part of that article is also if that happens UCONN->ACC to replace. Bah.
I can feel the bile welling up in my stomach.

under armour has you covered
And to be fair, Md is an excellent state school, lots of research going on. The 'mega state school' fits the B1G mold, but academically Md matches ACC standards well. Is the motivation fb dollars, frustration with ACC basketball powerhouses...?

And to be fair, Md is an excellent state school, lots of research going on. The 'mega state school' fits the B1G mold, but academically Md meets ACC standards. Is the motivation fb dollars, frustration with ACC basketball powerhouses...?
They will be richer and more irrelevant.

I can feel the bile welling up in my stomach.

As a Uconn fan, I actively dislike Syracuse and enjoy rooting against it in all sports. I expect Syracuse fans to do the same with respect to Uconn. One of the reasons I most want to see Uconn end up in the ACC, however, is to continue to play Syracuse and maintain the rivalry. I don't really understand why so many Cuse fans seem to hate the idea of Uconn joining it in the ACC. Is it because you hate Uconn so much you would rather see them left to slowly die in the Big East? Wouldn't it be better for Cuse to import one of its best rivalries into the ACC?

As a Uconn fan, I actively dislike Syracuse and enjoy rooting against it in all sports. I expect Syracuse fans to do the same with respect to Uconn. One of the reasons I most want to see Uconn end up in the ACC, however, is to continue to play Syracuse and maintain the rivalry. I don't really understand why so many Cuse fans seem to hate the idea of Uconn joining it in the ACC. Is it because you hate Uconn so much you would rather see them left to slowly die in the Big East? Wouldn't it be better for Cuse to import one of its best rivalries into the ACC?
Yes

There's a simple reason: UConn fans are among the most obnoxious punks in college sports. Nothing personal. The program has a storied history and I admit my sentiments are anecdotal. But many on this board think that UConn fans should be quarantined until they submit to rabies vaccinations.

Beyond that, my question is why? UConn is a large state school with decent academics, known for its basketball. It has a big NYC following, but so does SU. What could UConn offer the ACC that would overcome the distaste that many have for its fanbase? Rivalries come and go. From my seat, Duke-Syracuse sounds pretty good.

Nothing against UCONN and you are our biggest rivalry. However, from a recruiting stand point it's better for you to be in a crappy conference its less competition for Northeast recruits for us.

I disagree. Puke and NC are not going to replace UCon and GT. We will only see Puke and NC about once a year. Now that our recruiting is elite and is poised to stay that way, we have no reason to fear anyone else, except maybe Kentucky with their stable of one and dones and unlimited playing time for frosh. I would rather have UCon and GT in our pod than Maryland and I would do almost anything to replace BC as our designated rival. Give me a break, home and home with BC. BTW, pods are coming as the ACC grows.

Nothing against UCONN and you are our biggest rivalry. However, from a recruiting stand point it's better for you to be in a crappy conference its less competition for Northeast recruits for us.

Every college sports fan thinks that their rival's fan base is amongst if not the most obnoxious. People reading message boards are especially guilty of this because they: 1) tend to ignore the 50 rational posts and focus on the one or two irrational posts, then associate those posts with that fan base generally; 2) forget that the incendiary comments are usually being made by a teenager or an idiot who is purposefully trying to incite someone; and 3) don't realize as that team's chief rival, they are subjected to a higher percentage of irrational and stupid comments fueled by their rival's fans higher level of dislike for their team. Realistically, no fan base is any more obnoxious or irrational than any other.

I think Uconn and Syracuse being in the same conference is good for both schools from a recruiting/future success stand point because great rivalries increase the profile of both schools, and Uconn and Syracuse don't typically compete for the same recruits. Syracuse-Duke may sound good, but it will always be UNC-Duke.

I disagree. Puke and NC are not going to replace UCon and GT. We will only see Puke and NC about once a year. Now that our recruiting is elite and is poised to stay that way, we have no reason to fear anyone else, except maybe Kentucky with their stable of one and dones and unlimited playing time for frosh. I would rather have UCon and GT in our pod than Maryland and I would do almost anything to replace BC as our designated rival. Give me a break, home and home with BC. BTW, pods are coming as the ACC grows.

You can't look at this from the perspective of how you'd like it to impact basketball, because that isn't how the decision will be shaped.

If the ACC loses Maryland, a school with a well established football program I am not sure it can ease the concerns of the FSUs and Clemsons by adding a UConn, and certainly not Georgetown.

Why would the Big10 want Maryland in the first place ---- this whole things seems odd --- I think they might be using Maryland to get at a bigger name - Like FSU.

One thing I've learned in all this wild shuffling these last several years is that if a move generates more $$$$ for a school, you go. End of story. Now why the Big 120 wants these two programs specifically, beats me. Well maybe Maryland but RU being a draw in the NY market is overstated. Being as SU are strangers to the ACC I don't really give a if the league loses a school like Maryland on a sheer on the field level. And I'd be fine with seeing a rival and/or stronger hoops program like UCon replace them, though I do also understand that getting a stronger football program could likely be the primary goal for the ACC.

Why would the Big10 want Maryland in the first place ---- this whole things seems odd --- I think they might be using Maryland to get at a bigger name - Like FSU.

Not happening unless the Big whatever starts breaking its own rules. All members need to be part of the Association of American Universities, and be in contiguous states. Both Maryland and RU fit this profile (as would Pitt as an addition/alternative). FSU does not.

They will be richer and more irrelevant.

They can become as relevant in sports as Boston College did when they left the Big East!

I know it's about the money, but this whole process gets more and more aggravating with every move - at least from a fan's perspective. Who in the East wants to be playing those schools on a regular basis? I can tolerate the ACC because I watch most of their games already, and I even went to a Big 10 school, but I would lose my mind if my school's (Syracuse) schedule was made up of Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio States, etc.

Rivalries going away, schools playing in conferences whose names make no sense whatsoever - it's such a ridiculous clusterf*ck.

I thought that too. Not having an annual presence in the Baltimore/DC market could negatively effect our recruiting there and we get a lot of talent from those markets. Could the ACC consider Georgetown as a replacement in all sports but football? (I feel dirty even considering that but...).

I wouldn't be worried about it too much long-term. After a cooling off period (5 years? 10?), I'm sure SU and Georgetown will renew that rivalry on an annual basis - it'll be a fun non-conference game.

In the mean time, you can schedule a couple of non-conference games with GW if you want to get into DC and perhaps a school like VCU down the road in Richmond. You could also try to move an ACC game to a neutral venue in DC or Baltimore, or arrange one of those little preseason tournaments there. Some combination of that can tide you over in the area, if you're worried about it.

You can't look at this from the perspective of how you'd like it to impact basketball, because that isn't how the decision will be shaped.

If the ACC loses Maryland, a school with a well established football program I am not sure it can ease the concerns of the FSUs and Clemsons by adding a UConn, and certainly not Georgetown.

As I thought about this a little more, there's not much football pop out there that can be legitimately "had" so to speak, IMO. If not UConn then it would likely be some other current Big East football program. Not sure if it fits overall but from a pure competitive standpoint Louisville would be an attractive partner, and a potential new arch-rival for SU in basketball.