FROM OTHERS ON EXPANTION | Syracusefan.com

FROM OTHERS ON EXPANTION

BORZAK

2nd String
Missouri // Conference Realignment: Academics and dollars
Let me say that conferences are about more than academics and TV networks are about more than football.

When you have big-time research Universities, researchers partner with other researchers to win and execute a program. Now, a very good academic school may not be a big-time research University and vice versa. Take Washington State which has a lousy undergraduate ranking but collect plenty of research dollars. The research dollars dwarf athletic dollars. Last year USC collected over 1/2 a billion and that may not have been tops in the Conference.

I hope this explains why schools like Missouri prefer the Big10 and Oklahoma and Texas prefer the Pac12 over the SEC. The people making the decision are educators not athletic administrators.

Oklahoma //
Pat Jones said he was talking to a Big Twelve "guy" who told him that he had
been told that OU to the SEC could happen (soon). Something behind the scenes of course.
Coach Jones then, given the information, asked who his source was.

Coach Jones then said the name he heard was a reputable source who was usually
right about his predictions. Pat said he would not give either of their names. I think he
then stated the SEC would go after FSU and VT I could be wrong on that though. No
mention of OSU or any other Big Twelve (sic) teams going to the SEC

I think given whats transpired gives OU no choice but to be proactive.
I wanted to see the Big Twelve survive its been very good to OU, but at this
time no one thinks it will survive. The SEC would not only give us the
best football but would be great for the entire athletic department.

OSU // OU to jump to Pac-12 Sooner rather than later?
On the same day a new season is officially upon us, and just a day after Texas A&M made its biggest jump yet in the latest game of conference leapfrog, the demise of the Big 12-ish is — again — reportedly upon us.
In a piece he penned for the Austin American-Statesman titled “One more move and Big 12 is over”, venerable columnist Kirk Bohls puts the onus for the survival of the conferences squarely on the shoulders of the Oklahoma Sooners. And presumably, based on those he’s spoken to, the Norman school is ready to put its current conference out of its misery and head west.
Should Oklahoma act upon its earnest desires and seek an invitation to join the Pacific-12 Conference — something I’m fully expecting to happen within days, if not hours — that decision could well be the killing blow to the Big 12 while also providing Texas the political cover to follow suit and ask for admission as well.
“Oklahoma owns all the cards,” a Big 12 source added.
But wait. There’s more says television infomercial guy. Bohls continues painting a landscape-shifting picture of Texas privately hoping that their Red River rivals make the first in a series of moves — thus ensuring that “the Longhorns’ hands would be politically clean” — in what would result in, “probably before the calendar turns to October… [y]our new Pac-16 members: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.”
That’s right. On the first official day of the 2011 season, one of the most respected writers in Big 12 country if not all of college football is not only very publicly seeing the end of the conference — presumably from a source or sources he’s developed from within the conference itself — he’s also saying that all of this will unfold in less than a month’s time.
As if to add a tanker full of fuel to the fire of speculation, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement to Suzanne Halliburton of the American-Statesman that does not dismiss Bohls’ scenario. At all.
“While I cannot predict if and when this (Pac-12 expansion) might make sense for us, we will listen to and evaluate any scenario that would benefit our member institutions, our student-athletes and our fans,” Scott trolled told the paper.
And what of The Longhorn Network, the television elephant in the room that prevented the Pac-16 from being formed last year and played a prominent role in the Aggies departing this year? “The Longhorn Network gets folded into the Pac-16 as a downsized regional network, joining the six regional networks that already exist within the conference,” Bohls writes.
Of course, if Bohls’ apocalyptic scenario were to come to fruition — and obviously that’s a very, very big if right now — it would be a monumental shift for both the future of the game and for the 2011 itself. Instead of both eyes being focused squarely on the playing field for the foreseeable future, at least one would be trained squarely on the offices of the SEC and the Big Ten. Make no mistake; if the Pac-12 makes the first real leap into the super-conference stratosphere, the two power conferences will respond in kind — very forcefully, very emphatically.
So, again, welcome to Game Day 2011 y’all!
Or, as Bohls’ put it…
“In the end, these Big 12 schools should have gone their separate ways last summer and avoided all this unnecessary drama and hand-wringing.”
Amen, brutha. Amen.

TEXAS //
Texas A&M's Addition To SEC Wouldn't Mean Much To TV Contracts

There's been much talk about the SEC's television contracts and how the addition of Texas A&M would change the conference. If the conference is different, even by one member, the thinking goes that the SEC could re-open its television deals with CBS

CBS and ESPN deals that were signed in 2009 and now seem to be below market value. But adding A&M won't mean that CBS and ESPN will automatically have to pay more than the $825 million and the $2.25 billion they respectively agreed to pay for 15 years of rights. Why? Because there's already protections in its current contract.

It's called a composition of conference clause and it says that if the composition of the conference changes, the networks and the conference has to prove whether the change makes the conference TV rights more or less valuable.

Texas A&M adds some of Texas, but it does not deliver the state of Texas like the Longhorns do. And the SEC already has a lucrative championship game.
"Adding one or two teams does not cause the entire agreement to be renegotiated," said Neal Pilson, former CBS Sports president, who now consults on television deals.

While Pilson said it's hard to argue that A&M's addition would dilute the conference,
he says the Aggies have "minimal impact." "There are smart people at both ESPN and CBS and I would anticipate that they foresaw this type of contingency," Pilson said. "Based on their record over a period of time, it doesn't appear like Texas A&M is going to be in the top tier of teams in the SEC. So if there's any adjustment to the TV deals, I would anticipate that it would be a very modest adjustment, if anything."

If A&M was added as an equal partner, the TV deals would have to be bumped up by 8.3 percent in order for the SEC members to make the same money they make now off the TV deals.
It's not a guarantee that will happen.
Nebraska can't recruit anymore...

OU

Look at Nebrask's very poor recruitment compared to where they were before joining the big ten. They lost their ability to recruit in Texas and have had impotent recruiting pull from other big 10 states. I think Nebraska will be a marginal program 3 years from now. Also, most of Colorado's recruits still come from Texas but none are higher than 3 star. OU will always be able to recruit from the state of Texas but I do not know that a move to the SEC will help our recruiting of 4 and 5 star players. I think OU has a better chance of recruiting in California then Florida because 4 star recruits from the state of Florida will have to pass through Auburn and Alabama to get to OKLAHOMA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom