From the Student Section | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

From the Student Section

Yes indeed Scooch, winning has many friends and losing is an orphan.

Eh, it's entertainment.

Typically losing isn't very entertaining.

We all have to remember, we're the freaks, not them.

If the students want to be taken seriously then they should be fighting to get seats like the students do in SEC country, or in the Big Ten etc...act like you actually want to be there to cheer on the team without needing OTHER entertainment. The fact that you guys argue that the University doesnt make game day exciting enough is exactly my problem with the students,,,this is freaking college football and there is nothng better than college football. We dont need circus acts and other crap to get onur attention,

Sincerely,
Die hard fans
If you want the students to fight over seats like they do in the SEC or the Big Ten, then put out a product that's similar or create an environment that's similar or quadruple our enrollment to make the population base that we're pulling from equal. You want to know why our student section doesn't look like Penn State? They have 45,000 kids. You want to know why their basketball student section is absolutely pathetic? So is their program. Over the last 10 years, many students have disassociated themselves from the football program because it was honestly embarrassing. Every time students got behind the team and showed up in big numbers, the team was usually out of the game by half time. I had roommates that I couldn't get to go to games who played football throughout high school and loved the sport. And don't give me the holier than thou die hard fans bullshit. I've been a Syracuse fan for as long as I can remember, went to every home game during my time on campus, traveled to WVU, AKRON, and USC, and forcibly dragged my friends to the games. You want to lambaste people for not showing up to games, then look no further than the community of Syracuse. There's a reason Dr. Gross is taking big games to Metlife.

It's absolutely amazing to me the opinion of the townies on this board toward the student section from Saturday. They were the only ones that came en masse. They were by far the loudest in the building. We're a small private school with 14,000 students, including a couple thousand grad students who have no interest in football. The student section seats what, at least 5,000? (which was completely filled at gametime) That means you have at least a third of the student body at the game. Go to other schools of our size and see what the student sections look like.

Some students left the game when we were down 35-13. Yep. Meanwhile, the rest of the stadium was an absolute embarrassment. And there were was no shortage of locals that bailed. That is, the ones that actually came. The Syracuse MSA hasover 650,000 people, and 30,000 people (if that) show up and people are bitching about the students?

This place tends to be the most loyal fans, but people on this board bitching about the students need to get a grip.

If you want the students to fight over seats like they do in the SEC or the Big Ten, then put out a product that's similar or create an environment that's similar or quadruple our enrollment to make the population base that we're pulling from equal. You want to know why our student section doesn't look like Penn State? They have 45,000 kids. You want to know why their basketball student section is absolutely pathetic? So is their program. Over the last 10 years, many students have disassociated themselves from the football program because it was honestly embarrassing. Every time students got behind the team and showed up in big numbers, the team was usually out of the game by half time. I had roommates that I couldn't get to go to games who played football throughout high school and loved the sport. And don't give me the holier than thou die hard fans bullshit. I've been a Syracuse fan for as long as I can remember, went to every home game during my time on campus, traveled to WVU, AKRON, and USC, and forcibly dragged my friends to the games. You want to lambaste people for not showing up to games, then look no further than the community of Syracuse. There's a reason Dr. Gross is taking big games to Metlife.

you start by making a good point about the size of the community and the quality of the product with regard to the student section, and then you ignore the same factors when blaming the community of syracuse

Ive been going to all the home games since the Dome was built. I can say that in the early 80s the student section was not too bad...the last 10 years have been terrible, and that is not an innacurate statement like the students on this board seem to think...its a freaking fact.

If the students want to be taken seriously then they should be fighting to get seats like the students do in SEC country, or in the Big Ten etc...act like you actually want to be there to cheer on the team without needing OTHER entertainment. The fact that you guys argue that the University doesnt make game day exciting enough is exactly my problem with the students,,,this is freaking college football and there is nothng better than college football. We dont need circus acts and other crap to get onur attention,

Sincerely,
Die hard fans

Hmmm...my my, where to start. First off, you lost your argument simply by trying to make this opinion into a fact. On to the red text...what is our combine record here? You want better attendance to get the casual fan to the game...you WIN. Period. Such is life.

you start by making a good point about the size of the community and the quality of the product with regard to the student section, and then you ignore the same factors when blaming the community of syracuse
At the same time though, we're not asking the community and surrounding areas to fill a 100,000 seat stadium. Honestly, I struggle to blame anyone for not wanting to come watch this program over the last 10 years.

"The worst student section in the country" just sold out five buses to a game we're almost assuredly going to lose after a 4 hour bus trip, in under an hour.

The last four posts in this thread are from former cuse students. We are also diehard fans. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but the majority of the time they are. We can at least understand the motives of other students.

Was never a student but have been going to as many games as possible since HCDM took over.

I thought the students were great. The rest of the empty seats are what is killer. But it was the last weekend of the fair. A holiday weekend to boot. It was 95 in the dome. Your average CNYer is at the beach or eating fried dough on the midway.

Some of it is timing. Some of it is fairweather bs. I did my part. I showed up. I stayed till 4Q 0:00, and still have a raspy voice.

We have a tough schedule in a tough time for the program. No need to attack each other. We have to stick together and support this team and our coach.

On to the next one! LETS GO ORANGE!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ahhh...good to know the disgruntled townie versus disaffected student battle still lives...

So tired of middle age men from the suburbs (which I now am) criticizing the students when it is clear that a smaller percentage of their friends and family actually come to the games.

Looking forward to the BE tilt and some wins when these ridiculous arguments will go away.

Ive been going to all the home games since the Dome was built. I can say that in the early 80s the student section was not too bad...the last 10 years have been terrible, and that is not an innacurate statement like the students on this board seem to think...its a freaking fact.

You don't think this may be proportional to winning, do you? Of course student sections were better back then. We won a ton of games. Same with overall attendance. Just like the student sections for basketball are now miles ahead of the late 90s when I was a student.

Stop attacking the students, its obnoxious already

I think that not only does winning excite the student fans, but it actually attracts students who care about the sport, which leads to better student sections. Once we start winning/improving our gameday atmosphere, kids will actually come to SU FOR the football team. Until then, kids will come to Syracuse and there will happen to be a football team while they are there.

I think the real heart of the issue here is that, the region just doesn't care enough about football. And that starts at high school. The Northeast is all about pro teams, and doesn't care about High School or College Football. Which means that you can't just get the kids (largely from New Jersey, Long Island, and elsewhere) to come because there's football. In my mind, the best thing to make it better is to make it a giant party. Make the tailgating better. Tell them noon games given them an excuse to start drinking at 7am (which is how a lot of SEC and B1G students see it). Have fun around the game, make it a day long event.

I think the real heart of the issue here is that, the region just doesn't care enough about football. And that starts at high school. The Northeast is all about pro teams, and doesn't care about High School or College Football. Which means that you can't just get the kids (largely from New Jersey, Long Island, and elsewhere) to come because there's football. In my mind, the best thing to make it better is to make it a giant party. Make the tailgating better. Tell them noon games given them an excuse to start drinking at 7am (which is how a lot of SEC and B1G students see it). Have fun around the game, make it a day long event.

Just win, baby. Our student sections in the late 90s were full for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom