From where I sat | Syracusefan.com

From where I sat

SWC75

Bored Historian
No "Upside/Downside" or "Net Points"- it's an exhibition game. Just some observations from where I sat, (section 308)

- I really love watching Carleton play. They are very skilled, aggressive and confident, as befits their status in the Canadian game. They started out hitting threes, then went inside on the bigger team , making some fabulous passes and quick moves to the basket. I hope DaJuan Coleman was watching. When their guys got the ball near the basket, they caught passes and went up in one motion, finishing with either hand on either side of the basket and using the glass beautifully. They played aggressive defense throughout and frustrated out young players and out-hustled us for rebounds, short and long, 31-45, an unacceptable margin vs. any team but certainly against a shorter one. If our guys could play as well as Carleton did with the size and talent Syracuse has,we'd run the table.

- I expected SU to lose this game. We had to rally to beat them last year in Canada and with three new starters I figured that Carleton's high quality of play on both ends would be a good learning experience for our young players. It sure looked like I would be right in the first half. The Ravens whipped the ball aorund, got open shots and made them and shut off all our drives to the basket on the other end. I normally feel that assists are over-rated because a lot of assists usually means you are depending too much on jump shots but in this case the edge in assists, 5-15 Carleton had was the most revealing stat at halftime. Carleton led, 39-30 after having a 14 point lead at one point.

- But Syracuse again stepped up the defensive intensity, used more traps, got on the shooters and turned things around in the second half, when the assists were in our favor 9-5. We got out and ran whenever we could, (something that was missing from our offense the last couple of years). And we got the ball inside where Rakeem Christmas and Chris McCullough had their way. But the most stunning performance was from the freshman point guard, Kaleb Joseph, who drove through the defense for lay-ups and pull-ups and hit outside shots as well. We wound up with 19 points on 7 for 9 shooting. Ron Patterson also helped turn things around by hitting 4 of 5 threes in a 15 minute stint. SU pulled even at 52 all and took the lead for good at 58-50, going on to win at 76-68. That seems like a modest score but we scored that much only 7 times last year and only twice in our last 22 games.

- Joseph is a scoring point guard. he looks for his own offense first. That might have been impacted by the fact that our offense was functioning poorly for much of this game- points guard tend to take matters into their own hands when things are going badly. But I think it's Joseph's normal style. It's the opposite of what we saw last year with Tyler Ennis. who wanted to take care of the ball and looked to feed others first. But Joseph wants to run ore than Ennis and he had only one turnover in 26 minutes, (the team had only 7 against a pressing team), . We can win his way, too.

- Every year, (at least since the Melo Center opened), we see a caterpillar turn into a butterfly with this team. That is, a player who was struggling the year before and is somewhat dismissed by the fans as a result will emerge in the new season as a completely different and much better player. This was one game but it appeared that this year's 'butterflies' are Rakeem Christmas and Ron Patterson. Rakeem, who "showed flashes" last year looks like he's going really show the college basketball world- and those NBA scouts- something this year. He's running the court, moving fluidly through the defense, catching passes and scoring, putting the ball on the floor with drives, turning over his defender to score. He got in early foul trouble but played basically the entire second half without fouling while he was scoring 13 point, blocking a shot, making a steal, passing for two assists and grabbing three rebounds, (the later stat less than he should have but he missed most of the first half).

- Patterson came out firing. He aggressively looked to get open and caught the ball and shot it one motion, making shots from well outside the three point line but also driving in to score a basket for 15 points in the same number of minutes. He also played some back-up point guard, although, even more than Joseph, he was looking for Ron Patterson to score. He was aggressive but, unlike last year, under control, calm and collected. He was everything Trevor Cooney wasn't.

- Chris McCullough played aggressively and confidently. He seems ready to assume a major role on the team. He could get a little stronger. And he has a high-arching jump shot. the problem I have with that is that the ball tends to come down at the basket with too much velocity. If it'a not dead center, ti will tend to bounce away. he sin't going to score off the rim as someone with a lower trajectory might.

- Trevor Cooney played 35 minutes, was 0 for 6 and scored 7 points. He did manage to get to the foul line 8 times, where he got all those points, so he is trying to add to his game but he seemed to be doing little to get open outside and rushed his shots when he did. If he keeps playing like that, Ron Patterson is going take his spot in the line-up.

- Tyler Roberson continued to look not ready for prime time. He just plays with so little confidence He's reluctant to shoot and shoots like he's trying to kind of hope it in, (he did make one late jumper). He got 4 rebounds in 17 minutes which isn't terrible. But the guy people were predicting stardom for seems to be absent.

- Michael Gbinije hit an early three, then airballed the next one. He did get 6 points and 4 assists but plays like the complimentary player he was last year. I expected more.

- BJ Johnson played 8 ineffectual minutes.

- I assumed that Chinosos Obokoh would slip into Baye Keita's back up center role but he only played 3 minutes. McCullough and even Roberson were used briefly as back up centers. Which means that right now, we don't have a back-up center.

- We also don't have a back-up point guard. We may not have a point guard at all. Joseph and Patterson are both scorers while Gbinije is a jack-of-all trades, master of none. With Coleman out, it's basically a nine man team and there are some definite holes in it. There will be strengths as well, but they are still in the oven.

- We'll be good but no one can know how good and the schedule after December will be unforgiving.

- Tyler Roberson continued to look not ready for prime time. He just plays with so little confidence He's reluctant to shoot and shoots like he's trying to kind of hope it in, (he did make one late jumper). He got 4 rebounds in 17 minutes which isn't terrible. But the guy people were predicting stardom for seems to be absent.

He wasn't reluctant at all to shoot from 20 feet away. IMO he's a little TOO eager to shoot.

Describe what you saw.
See the Generals comments, imo he sums it up well. theres a reason no one played more mins in this game than G for Cuse. Imo there are going to be more games than not this season when he is a top 3 player for us in terms of all around game. That could be seen as a good thing or it could be seen as a bad thing...but this game he was a pleasant surprise for me

And imo there was no drop off in offense when G took over for Kaleb at point. That surprised me. Conversely when Rak went out, there was a huge drop off on defense
But i should qualify that by stating the obvious, RP hit some huge 3s while Kaleb was out and that is a big reason why there was no offensive drop off when Kaleb was on the bench. But still when G was the pg , the right people were getting the ball imo and he wasnt turning it over. Great to see

I disagree with the statement that we might not have a PG at all. PG's are allowed to be scorers. Flynn was a scorer, and he was a great PG.

Joseph will pass the ball against better teams who can keep him from driving. Just like Flynn though, he should look to score first when he can get to the rim. Assists will come, especially if he's successful at breaking down defenses with the drive.

I wonder if at some point we start hearing calls for Ron Ron over Cooney.
I was wondering this too. I happen to be a Cooney supporter, but if Bus is hitting a higher percentage of his shots, it's hard to come up with too many things that Cooney does better. Cooney is taller and plays good defense. I also think that he takes care of the ball pretty well for someone who's not a PG. Overall though, Bus could really challenge Cooney for some minutes this year.

I was wondering this too. I happen to be a Cooney supporter, but if Bus is hitting a higher percentage of his shots, it's hard to come up with too many things that Cooney does better. Cooney is taller and plays good defense. I also think that he takes care of the ball pretty well for someone who's not a PG. Overall though, Bus could really challenge Cooney for some minutes this year.
And it begins. Cooney now guaranteed to bust for 24 points on 8/11 shooting next week.
Appreciate it fellas!
Regards,
TC

I liked Patterson last year in the limited minutes he played. He had a great game today, and Cooney had a an off day, but I'm not ready to make a clear swap. Nice to see if one or the other can be more efficient on the three, but at least we have an option.

I liked Patterson last year in the limited minutes he played. He had a great game today, and Cooney had a an off day, but I'm not ready to make a clear swap. Nice to see if one or the other can be more efficient on the three, but at least we have an option.

If we judged Patterson by just today, he'd get the "real deal" status we've given to others. A lot of potential in that kid, and he's showing signs he's going to deliver and give JB some great options this season. Maybe he has turned his corner?

The play that stuck out to me the most was his block of a 3 point shot. He didn't go nuts, didn't celebrate at all, but didn't look unnaturally humble either. He was out of breath from putting forth some amazing hustle. That impressed me and I'm guessing he built some value in JB's mind today.

Last edited:
G deserves a lot of credit. He is very versatile being able to rebound playing the forward spot in the zone but also capable of bringing ball up. What impressed me most was how composed he was. He just looked comfortable as compared to last year.

Speaking of composure, roberson showed none. However, chris seemed to play very level headed. He never got too excited. When a coupl of questionable calls didnt go his way, he didnt complain. I like the way he carries himself.

Looking at the box score, I can see that G-man had a good game: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and a block in 35 minutes. And, of course he had to be part of the defensive effort in the second half. I didn't find him particularly visible but that's because he was doing the little things that helps the team win. Or maybe after watching two SU games in less than 24 hours, my eyes were a bit bleary.

Last edited:
Looking at the box score, I can see that G-man had a good game: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and a block in 35 minutes. And, of course he had to be part of the defensive effort in the second half. I didn't find him particularly visible but that's because he was doing the little things that helps the team win. Or maybe after wathcign two SU games in less than 24 hours, my eyes were a bit bleary.

Sure -- but he was visible at both ends of the court.

Even with Joseph in the game, Gbinije played a lot of PG and was the second principal ball-handler. Cooney (at least in this game) was the same player as last season -- very limited as a second guard who does not handle the ball much or make plays. Gbinije filled that role. That was one of the big revelations in the game.

from what i have read, this appears to be the same ol syracuse team. cooney can't shoot and we can't rebound. i'm afraid it will be a long year with double digit losses

from what i have read, this appears to be the same ol syracuse team. cooney can't shoot and we can't rebound. i'm afraid it will be a long year with double digit losses
From what I read Kaleb is on beast mode already, Rakeem will be a force, Patterson can shoot the lights out and Chris M is a one and done. Bad rebounding night and Trevor not hitting it and we still won with a dominating second half in our first game (Carleton had a bunch of games played if I'm not mistaken already). Confused as to how you came up with 10+ losses already?

Kidding, right?
There was a lot to like in that game. Can't say Cooney is any different; and the inside defense needs a lot of work. But the ingredients are there for a balanced offense, with inside scoring, a tad more outside shooting, and a running game that was missing last season.

Sure -- but he was visible at both ends of the court.

Even with Joseph in the game, Gbinije played a lot of PG and was the second principal ball-handler. Cooney (at least in this game) was the same player as last season -- very limited as a second guard who does not handle the ball much or make plays. Gbinije filled that role. That was one of the big revelations in the game.

I still think he's a complimentary player. He was a complimentary player who had a good game. I thought he might emerge as a star-quality, gimme- the ball type player. Maybe that's not what we need from him and I need to forget those high school films where he looked like LeBron James, (against high school competition). I was impressed with his three pointer, unimpressed by the subsequent air ball and looked for more spectacular plays and, when I didn't get them, failed to note his other contributions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom