From where I sip | Syracusefan.com

From where I sip

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
This is my first try at paying tribute to those who offer excellent analysis like SWC and Tomcat, but from a very different angle. Honestly, it was more about having a trademark title for me(speaking of titles, I wouldn't mind having a manager to take me to the title the way Bobby Heenan and Freddie Blassie did for their proteges) . Beyond the title, this post itself could be a bonus or filler, depending on your taste or state of sobriety. I'd be satisfied to be the Brower to their Coleman someday. Heck, I might even be satisfied with one shining moment. Like any series premier, it may be yanked if the ratings aren't that high as my schtick is relatively limited. Life is short though, so why not? I'll weigh in a bit on the team, but as of now want to focus mostly on the coverage. Trust me, I didn't want this to sound so negative. I dedicate this to every man, woman, or child who has ever longed to know what was on the payside. Someday, we may all make it.

I paid $10.95 for a month of Orange All Access, which I thought might give me privileges like the lore whispered about The Payside. I guess some could liken it to folks taking certain substances and having similar experiences to those who meditate for 20 years(I am not necessarily endorsing or demeaning either). After waiting for quite some time to see the replay and enjoy some cheap domestic beverage in a can, I was quite disappointed with a number of things tonight about the coverage. I started off as a communications major, and want to echo what some others have said in one post, hoping someone with some pull can pass it along.

Beyond taking forever to post the replay, the biggest disappointment was the final 12 minutes of the game being missing. I had seen this mentioned before, but thought it had been corrected when the event was subtitled, "full game". Not the case.

In fairness, the stream itself worked well for me, nothing choppy, but then again it wasn't live. I had no problem with the announcers, they were more than adequate for me. The camera work and angles also were fine, in my opinion. For instance, I wasn't a big fan of the highlight reel from the Carleton game, much of which was taken from camera shots behind the hoop.

What I really didn't like was how quickly the video and/or audio cut away, at times while one or the other was still going for a few seconds, to rush me to that rotating S. Not many people can make me bitter at one of the symbols of my team but this broadcast managed to do so. It was as if each second the wick on a stick of dynamite was burning in their minds. Is the rotating S supposed to hypnotize us?

Speaking of all the cutting(and I know darned well I am not alone on this one), with few enough shots of the cheerleaders and dancers, you'd think they could at least bring us back from that S in time not to miss a chunk of the routine, especially when a voice bellowed the announcement as I was still watching the S dance instead. I also wasn't a big fan of much of the music played with the S when there was any, but being that's subjective maybe I am in the minority? I wasn't expecting Mozart or even Cotton Eyed Joe, but even morse code would have done more for me. Maybe I just miss the video of MCW on the scooter too much? I mean SU does have talented and creative students, let them shine!

To sum up actual game notes(from the 70% they showed), I enjoyed the hustle, but like many others am concerned with the shooting. Shooting can change in a hurry though, especially from outside. What can't change in a hurry is the lack of beef down low. JB is going to have his work cut out for him, but I have faith he can find some combination that will get the job done. The free throw shooting looks like it could actually develop into a strength instead of the usual achilles heel, which gives me hope.

I know it's exhibition, but I think I found this broadcast harder to get into than the SU players found the game. Sadly, what stuck in my head most of the game was wanting to post this picture, or one similar to it:

showposter.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first try at paying tribute to those who offer excellent analysis like SWC and Tomcat, but from a very different angle. Honestly, it was more about having a trademark title for me(speaking of titles, I wouldn't mind having a manager to take me to the title the way Bobby Heenan and Freddie Blassie did for their proteges) . Beyond the title, this post itself could be a bonus or filler, depending on your taste or state of sobriety. I'd be satisfied to be the Brower to their Coleman someday. Heck, I might even be satisfied with one shining moment. Like any series premier, it may be yanked if the ratings aren't that high as my schtick is relatively limited. Life is short though, so why not? I'll weigh in a bit on the team, but as of now want to focus mostly on the coverage. Trust me, I didn't want this to sound so negative. I dedicate this to every man, woman, or child who has ever longed to know what was on the payside. Someday, we may all make it.

I paid $10.95 for a month of Orange All Access, which I thought might give me privileges like the lore whispered about The Payside. I guess some could liken it to folks taking certain substances and having similar experiences to those who meditate for 20 years(I am not necessarily endorsing or demeaning either). After waiting for quite some time to see the replay and enjoy some cheap domestic beverage in a can, I was quite disappointed with a number of things tonight about the coverage. I started off as a communications major, and want to echo what some others have said in one post, hoping someone with some pull can pass it along.

Beyond taking forever to post the replay, the biggest disappointment was the final 12 minutes of the game being missing. I had seen this mentioned before, but thought it had been corrected when the event was subtitled, "full game". Not the case.

In fairness, the stream itself worked well for me, nothing choppy, but then again it wasn't live. I had no problem with the announcers, they were more than adequate for me. The camera work and angles also were fine, in my opinion. For instance, I wasn't a big fan of the highlight reel from the Carleton game, much of which was taken from camera shots behind the hoop.

What I really didn't like was how quickly the video and/or audio cut away, at times while one or the other was still going for a few seconds, to rush me to that rotating S. Not many people can make me bitter at one of the symbols of my team but this broadcast managed to do so. It was as if each second the wick on a stick of dynamite was burning in their minds. Is the rotating S supposed to hypnotize us?

Speaking of all the cutting(and I know darned well I am not alone on this one), with few enough shots of the cheerleaders and dancers, you'd think they could at least bring us back from that S in time not to miss a chunk of the routine, especially when a voice bellowed the announcement as I was still watching the S dance instead. I also wasn't a big fan of much of the music played with the S when there was any, but being that's subjective maybe I am in the minority? I wasn't expecting Mozart or even Cotton Eyed Joe, but even morse code would have done more for me. Maybe I just miss the video of MCW on the scooter too much? I mean SU does have talented and creative students, let them shine!

To sum up actual game notes(from the 70% they showed), I enjoyed the hustle, but like many others am concerned with the shooting. Shooting can change in a hurry though, especially from outside. What can't change in a hurry is the lack of beef down low. JB is going to have his work cut out for him, but I have faith he can find some combination that will get the job done. The free throw shooting looks like it could actually develop into a strength instead of the usual achilles heel, which gives me hope.

I know it's exhibition, but I think I found this broadcast harder to get into than the SU players found the game. Sadly, what stuck in my head most of the game was wanting to post this picture, or one similar to it:

showposter.jpg
I actually met Webster at an electronics store named Sandy's Electronics that I managed in the mid 90's. he was looking for electronic hobby kits to build seemed like a nice guy but he did smell a little funny but I digress...lol

I actually met Webster at an electronics store named Sandy's Electronics that I managed in the mid 90's. he was looking for electronic hobby kits to build seemed like a nice guy but he did smell a little funny but I digress...lol

I wish I could have talked with the guy. I wonder what the world looks like when you grow up as Web Webster was quality entertainment that I ingested during my formative years that led to what you got here.

I met a lot of celebrities when I lived in LA cause my brother played drums with a band called The Bulletboys and Vicious Delite with Stephen Pearcy from Ratt also was in a band managed by Gene Simmons. Most of the celebs were kind of odd people but that is what makes this an interesting world I suppose.

I met a lot of celebrities when I lived in LA cause my brother played drums with a band called The Bulletboys and Vicious Delite with Stephen Pearcy from Ratt also was in a band managed by Gene Simmons. Most of the celebs were kind of odd people but that is what makes this an interesting world I suppose.

I kinda liked the Bulletboys. Saw them in a small venue in Fl. My ears are still ringing I think.

Its appreciated at least by this poster. One should not undervalue a unique perspective, besides the entertainment value is off the charts.

That was my goal. I had no idea how it would be received, but figured if I could keep my trajectory just under the apex where a mod might have to to put a temporary ankle bracelet on me to monitor if I am drinking while posting, but high enough over the customary use of a keyboard, I might resonate with someone. I sought advice from one of your pals and felt the need to include the clip from Bad Santa with the guy from office space. I guess anxiety and copious amounts of various things including Boarshead longhorn colby cheese can make a guy question his stance on the issues of the moment and hope for some feedback. I still am not ruling out opening up a bar with the title the Payside. I dont know how to run a bar, but I have a gut feeling that the name would have a good ring to it. Love, it's all about love man.

I kinda liked the Bulletboys. Saw them in a small venue in Fl. My ears are still ringing I think.

Im not that familiar with the Bullet Boys, but recall some kid in my high school wearing their shirt. I remember they were touring with someone at the time that made the shirt stick in my head. Maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers?

That was my goal. I had no idea how it would be received, but figured if I could keep my trajectory just under the apex where a mod might have to to put a temporary ankle bracelet on me to monitor if I am drinking while posting, but high enough over the customary use of a keyboard, I might resonate with someone. I sought advice from one of your pals and felt the need to include the clip from Bad Santa with the guy from office space. I guess anxiety and copious amounts of various things including Boarshead longhorn colby cheese can make a guy question his stance on the issues of the moment and hope for some feedback. I still am not ruling out opening up a bar with the title the Payside. I dont know how to run a bar, but I have a gut feeling that the name would have a good ring to it. Love, it's all about love man.

The key to running a bar is giving away just the right amount of alcohol. Give away enough to keep it busy but not enough to cut into profits. I used to frequent a little bar once (seems like a completely different lifetime) where one of the bartenders went to highschool with me and my buds. Long story short we were often in there with the lights off drinking for free with her until 4 or 5 in the morning before making giant mixed drinks in to go cups stumbling out of there before the sun threatened to expose us. That is when giving away alcohol is bad for the bar . . . . . . . it didn't end well for her when they started to notice that inventory didn't add up specifically the rum. The good news was that after we killed of all the Captain Morgan's I found that I really liked Sailor Jerry and its still my preferred spiced rum today so perhaps it was the same lifetime after all.

Im not that familiar with the Bullet Boys, but recall some kid in my high school wearing their shirt. I remember they were touring with someone at the time that made the shirt stick in my head. Maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers?
their big hit was called Smooth up in ya. they were popular in the late 80's and then suffered the fate of most hair bands when grunge hit

The key to running a bar is giving away just the right amount of alcohol. Give away enough to keep it busy but not enough to cut into profits. I used to frequent a little bar once (seems like a completely different lifetime) where one of the bartenders went to highschool with me and my buds. Long story short we were often in there with the lights off drinking for free with her until 4 or 5 in the morning before making giant mixed drinks in to go cups stumbling out of there before the sun threatened to expose us. That is when giving away alcohol is bad for the bar . . . . . . . it didn't end well for her when they started to notice that inventory didn't add up specifically the rum. The good news was that after we killed of all the Captain Morgan's I found that I really liked Sailor Jerry and its still my preferred spiced rum today so perhaps it was the same lifetime after all.

This dude from my high school ran a bar called the Electric Company in Utica, and I was amazed with the bands he brought in and success he had. ALso was saddened a couple of years ago to see it shut down. You may have inspired me to finally create the payside. Of course it's been about 20 degrees here in Denver and a gentleman has had to take matters into his own hands in terms of staying warm. I've just had a difficult time pullling the trigger on financial matters for some reason. In all seriousness, you guys are probably better than therapy for trying to help me find some focus.

My brother goes on and on about Sailor Jerry's, is it really that good?

My brother goes on and on about Sailor Jerry's, is it really that good?

I think so although some find it a bit harsh which it is compared to Captain Morgans but its also quite a bit stronger. Captain Morgans seems bland to me since I tried Sailor Jerry's. In some shall we say "high tolerance" portions of my life I drank it on the rocks which started as an accident because I ran out of soda but continued until I made an executive decision to dry out for a couple months or give up all hope of managing my alcoholism successfully.

I think so although some find it a bit harsh which it is compared to Captain Morgans but its also quite a bit stronger. Captain Morgans seems bland to me since I tried Sailor Jerry's. In some shall we say "high tolerance" portions of my life I drank it on the rocks which started as an accident because I ran out of soda but continued until I made an executive decision to dry out for a couple months or give up all hope of managing my alcoholism successfully.

I don't want to take you back into the dark days buddy, but if I ever get the chance to meet you maybe we can sneak some sailor jerry's into the dome. ;)